Zizzi Employee Reviews

Empty promises no management
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex31 July 2018
Was offered a job with them as "trainee chef" 35/40 hours a week. I waited over a month during which I worked casual shifts at pubs/bars waiting for a job that never materialised.

I first had contact through email but after a while this line went dead after moving the conversation from assistant manager to manager, to the point that I would ring 3 times a day to try and get a hold of him or have to go in myself for an approx start date.

I get called In for cover willing to let it all go, I'm pulled in on deep clean day and used p much just for that, I then try and call after this shift for my start date and get no reply until the head chef asks why I'm not in for my shift at which point I'd been offered a job across the road that paid more soooo, I doubt I'll get paid for that free deep clean but we'll see.

Basically the manager doesn't have a clue what day it is let alone how to run a restaurant.
Pros
Everyone but manager seems nice
Cons
Bad management, empty promises, hours not there
Customers are great, management not so much
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire12 July 2018
Customers in Winchester are lovely, and tip really well.
Management however seem to get a kick out of making horrible nasty comments about their staff, to your face and to each other. Overall the store boss is an excellent boss and looks out for your wellbeing but it’s the other managers that seem to be the problem. If you like finishing at 1am most days and starting at 12pm with only an hour break, this is the job for you.
Pros
Reduced price lunch menu
Cons
Long hours and short breaks. Nasty managers.
Dont work here
Managerial (Current Employee) –  Scotland20 June 2018
What a stressful job. Nothing here is what is seems. The company paint such a pretty picture of what should happen, in reality nothing but stripping the heart out of the Managers and assistant managers with constant pressure and stress. 48 hour contracts are nothing but a lie. The head office care about what the repercussions are if someone leaves and claims but never care about the current staff stresses! No time for family.
If you are a manager your shift every single day will be 10am til 10pm if your lucky but maintain that there is a "Work life balance". Maintain the restaurant itself but no time for paperwork. Run by people who don't understand how any business works in reality.
Pros
Nice food
Cons
The entire job.
Employment
Postion 1 chef (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire16 June 2018
After visiting the restaurant and speaking with the manager and signing a contract 3 days later turns out i cant work until i move too the city which was only a bus ride away. then when i text the head chef to ask about the online training, it turned out that i had been replaced with someone else, taken off the training and not given a notice of termination I'm then told that he has no use for me so after wasting a lot of money on trying to move for the company turns out it was for nothing
Community spirit
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City3 June 2018
It gets very busy so it can be stressful but the restaurant prides itself on delivering quality service and great food while helping each other out and working together like a family. It has great benefits for the staff and is very flexible which is helpful.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
Very intense
Quick pace and busy worksplace
WAITRESS (Former Employee) –  Twickenham, Greater London19 May 2018
A typical day would consist of taking control of a particular section of the restaurant, waiting tables, taking orders and serving drinks. Weekends and Rugby days would be particularly busy and the work environment would become extremely fast pace, causing staff to be often stressed. I learned a lot about patience, customer service, and how to work well under pressure.
Pros
free meals
Cons
Stressful at times
Fun workplace
Team Member/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stockport12 May 2018
Serving customers, running food and drinks, making sure everyone is happy. Very busy environment but it gets worth because of tips. Recommend to anyone.
Terrible management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow25 March 2018
The only good thing is waiters keep the tips.
Manager with a terrible communication and assistant manager very lazy.
Great place to work for but first search each Zizzi you will get into.

Head office should pay more attention to what happens inside a restaurant and hear waiters at least every 6 months of how managers treat their staff.

Worked with good waiters and chefs but unfortunately Managers above my self disappointed me with their attitude and decisions towards some staff and I.
If you disagree with Managers decision, you will get your hours cut.
Pros
You pay for your lunch with a discount price
Cons
Long day with a long break sometimes more the 2 hours
Awful
Barman (Former Employee) –  London4 January 2018
Extremely unprofessional and unpleasant management with the inability to solve problems with staffing, really poor stability in terms of work and hours: on a full time contract and only given 20 hours a week due to overstaffing
Productive, and constructive workplace.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire16 December 2017
Typical day included: seating customers in their desired place within the restaurant, taking food/drink orders, making sure the customers are having a great time throughout the whole time at Zizzi by providing the best customer service, serving food, and money handling.
Pros
Reduced price of staff food.
Cons
N/a
Worst place
Chef (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex7 December 2017
The worst place I worked for.
Long shifts
Poor salary
Understaffed
Bad management

Just the staff is ok, you can have fun. But from the company you don't get nothing good.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Salary, long shifts, understaffed, bad management
Great job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, UK30 November 2017
Fantastic place to be once you get your feet under the table and can start running your restaurant yourself. Ops management are slightly too involved.
bad place to work
Runner/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay, Cardiff24 November 2017
I worked here for over 3 months, around 4 days a week, and not once did I get a full 30 minute break. The chefs were incredibly rude to us (runners) and often yelled at us for no reason. The pressure was immense, and oftentimes I was the only runner available (on saturdays!) and was expected to perform perfectly by myself without any help. The worst job I've ever had.
Pros
lmao none
Cons
everything
defective management
Chef (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire23 September 2017
Beautiful people, fun and good people.
Unfortunately the management is not good, the salary is minimal the program is not stable, it always changes. if you work from 10 am to closing, you have two hours break in the middle of the day, stay in the mall for two hours. in 5 days I gather 30-35 hours. I do not take into account the staff, I'm putting you to work as they need to save her money. I do not recommend
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
ENGLISH bad program, long breaks, bad management
Horrible company to work for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Scotland21 August 2017
This is the worst place I have ever worked.

The training, Zizziness culture and food quality are all very poor. The training is virtually non existent and is expected to be completed in your own time, staffing levels are being cut constantly which causes additional stress when running on skeleton staff. Shame the senior management of the company are so focused on the short term gains of saving money and cutting labour and not focused on the longer term detrimental effects of their poor, ill-thought-out decisions which lead to a constant steam of staff coming and going when they realise how poor a company it is to work for.

Pay / benefits / job security is poor but expect the world of their teams. Talk a good game until it costs money or involves any level of commitment / investment.

Seriously concerning lack of focus on health and safety - as long as the money keeps coming in!

Best part of the job was the staff who bend over backwards for this awful company. Most enjoyable part of the job was leaving!
Pros
Honestly cannot think of anything positive to say
Cons
Stressful environment, poor training, no support, frozen food, overcomplicated menu, lack of focus on health and safety and just a horribly stressful environment
Great job
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne2 August 2017
Great restaurant to work in, great atmosphere. Decent wage, fantastic tips which makes incentive to go the extra mile with your service. Only down fall is the long hours running around on your feet all day and not knowing when you're finishing. This makes it hard to plan social events.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Work with a very happy and bubbly team, but a chanc=ge of management in May 2017 made it less pleasent.
Bar Staff and Waiter (Former Employee) –  Maidstone29 July 2017
Zizzi was my first ever job, and I loved it. The first year and a half was great, management was brilliant and so was the staff. Tips were good, hours were unsociable, but certainly fair. I learned most the tricks you need know to be successful behind the bar, such as quick and tidy presentation of drinks such as coffees and cocktails, stock take, and many more. When my general management changed, a lot of things did. A lot of the members of staff from when I was there left, I started waiting, and more importantly people were being miss treated. I booked to go on holiday from 18th of September - 22nd September & booked off the 24th of September to go to a festival 3rd of October, cos my birthday was on the 2nd. I did this also considering that there was a restaurant refurbishment. When I got back from holiday, I was being asked by my managers why I wasn't working.
Pros
good tips and pay
Cons
unsociable hours
Very Bad with Communication.
Waiter/Barman (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom26 July 2017
Often not knowing when im on shift. When I started, I had made management very clear in regards to a holiday I had booked, yet they failed at acknowledge this and put me on the rota without me knowing resulting in numerous texts and calls whilst on vacation as well as being told I was unreliable. Not happy.
a typical day at work
Waiter/Barman (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London30 May 2017
I start my day at work opening the floor and the bar section making sure that everythings is ready for when the costumers start to arrive.
Once that the costumers start to arrive i always give them always the best seat and after a couples of minutes i go back to get the order, i am always around to make sure that they are satisfated. At the end of the shift i always fill up my report and hand over all the money i have banked for the night and PDQ slips.
Empresa dinâmica
Restauração (Former Employee) –  Londres27 May 2017
Empresa dinâmica e Boa de se trabalhar por vezes o que estraga o ambiente São mesmo as pessoas.
Pros
Refeição na empresa
Cons
Excesso de horas

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zizzi. Our community is ready to answer.

Zizzi Reviews by Location