Zizzi Employee Reviews

Terrible company to work for
Chef (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim9 October 2018
Joke of a company a monkey could run it better head office is a joke only way getting places is by shafting each other avoid . Slave labour you don’t get breaks but they take them off you. And hr what a load of clowns
Cons
Terrible
Poor management
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands30 September 2018
Unprofessional management use people as slaves not enough training expect you to know everything after one month not helpful att all horrible hours not enough staff!!! Wouldn’t recommend to work for Zizzi in Resorts world!!!!
Good in-branch management, higher up not so much
Waiter/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kent22 September 2018
The company is good to work for if you don't have any form of social life outside of the business.
With management I don't have any issues with the staff working in the branch but as soon as you go any higher to ops or head office you'll be lucky to get a response when you need one.
There aren't any incentives for each branch to encourage positive work behaviour but are constantly having hours reduced and staff cut just to make the "forecasted" budget per week regardless of how much they are knowingly going to take.
The wages are stagnating in comparison to other competitors and the wage gaps are minute so there's no encouragement to progress.
Working here, you will feel like a number, nothing more.
Pros
Cheaper staff food, tips
Cons
Long unsocial hours, understaffed constantly
Busy environment and a lot to learn.
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 September 2018
I was looking for a fairly simple part-time job, but this isn't what I was looking for. You are expected to know dishes straight away, despite there being a large menu and also a vegan, vegetarian and dairy-free menu as well. There is lots to learn which is to be expected, but perhaps not ideal if you are looking for part-time work which is simple and easy. The company benefits are good (50% off food and free food during a shift), and the managers are really friendly. They are understanding regarding other commitments and will not reprimand you for having a life outside of work. However I feel the salary (minimum wage) is poor for the amount of training you are required to complete and the role itself. Hours can be long due to often being required to work double shifts. Overall it's not an awful place to work and can be fun, but is probably not what you're looking for if you want a simple, easy job.
Pros
Free lunch on shift, 50% off food.
Cons
Double shifts, expected to know things straight away.
Your worst nightmare
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire17 August 2018
Managers have no manners, not worth the money, they won’t acknowledge your holiday, get paid 5.90 an hour age 20 years old! No proper training given and asking for full time hours apparently means 10 hours a week but how are you meant to get food training and the hang of it when you’re in work hardly ever, also they call a lot to cancel shifts which makes you feel useless, just save yourself the stress and don’t do it. Online training also takes about 6 days to complete
Pros
Free lunch or £2 lunch
Cons
No hours and soul destroying job
False Promises, emphasis on money.
Manager (Former Employee) –  South East12 August 2018
I have worked for the company for over a year and a half as an AM. Upon joining, I was promised quick progression to GM level. Since then I've had poor training, and been left to my own devices most of the time.

Despite running the restaurant whilst there was no GM for over two months, was told I wasn't experienced enough to continue, despite the sales being good and te team happy.

You'll be expected to make lots of sales on minimal labour. If you're one hour over their forecast, expect a lot of grief from Ops. New labour management tool is even worse, as it isn't tailored to each restaurant so expected to have 200+ covers on a busy Friday/Saturday with three waiters and a manager + barman...considering no waiter should have more than 20 covers at a time, it's ridiculous.

Management contract is 48 hours, but you'll be expected to work more, and you'll get no extra pay, or any thanks for it.

My team were the reason I've stayed too long, whilst other AMs and GMs have all jumped ship. And I'm doing the same.

They're more interested in opening new restaurants in UK and Shanghai(?!), than protecting their current ones, and paying better. They expect to find supervisors for around £8 per hour...no credit card tips or service charge for supervisors or managers (even if they're working alone, which happens).

And you've got to pay for staff food!!

Restructured bonus scheme means it's almost impossible to meet the bonus qualifier....so there is no longer incentive to work there.

The good staff are all leaving, even those that have been with the company over
  more... 10 years. That in itself tells you enough.

Unless you're a student or just looking for 10 hours or so, don't bother.

Deplorable.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Long Hours, Poor higher management, Bonus is impossible, Lack of communication, minimal labour but maximum sales
Empty promises no management
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex31 July 2018
Was offered a job with them as "trainee chef" 35/40 hours a week. I waited over a month during which I worked casual shifts at pubs/bars waiting for a job that never materialised.

I first had contact through email but after a while this line went dead after moving the conversation from assistant manager to manager, to the point that I would ring 3 times a day to try and get a hold of him or have to go in myself for an approx start date.

I get called In for cover willing to let it all go, I'm pulled in on deep clean day and used p much just for that, I then try and call after this shift for my start date and get no reply until the head chef asks why I'm not in for my shift at which point I'd been offered a job across the road that paid more soooo, I doubt I'll get paid for that free deep clean but we'll see.

Basically the manager doesn't have a clue what day it is let alone how to run a restaurant.
Pros
Everyone but manager seems nice
Cons
Bad management, empty promises, hours not there
Customers are great, management not so much
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire12 July 2018
Customers in Winchester are lovely, and tip really well.
Management however seem to get a kick out of making horrible nasty comments about their staff, to your face and to each other. Overall the store boss is an excellent boss and looks out for your wellbeing but it’s the other managers that seem to be the problem. If you like finishing at 1am most days and starting at 12pm with only an hour break, this is the job for you.
Pros
Reduced price lunch menu
Cons
Long hours and short breaks. Nasty managers.
Dont work here
Managerial (Current Employee) –  Scotland20 June 2018
What a stressful job. Nothing here is what is seems. The company paint such a pretty picture of what should happen, in reality nothing but stripping the heart out of the Managers and assistant managers with constant pressure and stress. 48 hour contracts are nothing but a lie. The head office care about what the repercussions are if someone leaves and claims but never care about the current staff stresses! No time for family.
If you are a manager your shift every single day will be 10am til 10pm if your lucky but maintain that there is a "Work life balance". Maintain the restaurant itself but no time for paperwork. Run by people who don't understand how any business works in reality.
Pros
Nice food
Cons
The entire job.
Employment
Postion 1 chef (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire16 June 2018
After visiting the restaurant and speaking with the manager and signing a contract 3 days later turns out i cant work until i move too the city which was only a bus ride away. then when i text the head chef to ask about the online training, it turned out that i had been replaced with someone else, taken off the training and not given a notice of termination I'm then told that he has no use for me so after wasting a lot of money on trying to move for the company turns out it was for nothing
Community spirit
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City3 June 2018
It gets very busy so it can be stressful but the restaurant prides itself on delivering quality service and great food while helping each other out and working together like a family. It has great benefits for the staff and is very flexible which is helpful.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
Very intense
Quick pace and busy worksplace
WAITRESS (Former Employee) –  Twickenham, Greater London19 May 2018
A typical day would consist of taking control of a particular section of the restaurant, waiting tables, taking orders and serving drinks. Weekends and Rugby days would be particularly busy and the work environment would become extremely fast pace, causing staff to be often stressed. I learned a lot about patience, customer service, and how to work well under pressure.
Pros
free meals
Cons
Stressful at times
Fun workplace
Team Member/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Stockport12 May 2018
Serving customers, running food and drinks, making sure everyone is happy. Very busy environment but it gets worth because of tips. Recommend to anyone.
Terrible management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow25 March 2018
The only good thing is waiters keep the tips.
Manager with a terrible communication and assistant manager very lazy.
Great place to work for but first search each Zizzi you will get into.

Head office should pay more attention to what happens inside a restaurant and hear waiters at least every 6 months of how managers treat their staff.

Worked with good waiters and chefs but unfortunately Managers above my self disappointed me with their attitude and decisions towards some staff and I.
If you disagree with Managers decision, you will get your hours cut.
Pros
You pay for your lunch with a discount price
Cons
Long day with a long break sometimes more the 2 hours
Awful
Barman (Former Employee) –  London4 January 2018
Extremely unprofessional and unpleasant management with the inability to solve problems with staffing, really poor stability in terms of work and hours: on a full time contract and only given 20 hours a week due to overstaffing
Productive, and constructive workplace.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire16 December 2017
Typical day included: seating customers in their desired place within the restaurant, taking food/drink orders, making sure the customers are having a great time throughout the whole time at Zizzi by providing the best customer service, serving food, and money handling.
Pros
Reduced price of staff food.
Cons
N/a
Worst place
Chef (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex7 December 2017
The worst place I worked for.
Long shifts
Poor salary
Understaffed
Bad management

Just the staff is ok, you can have fun. But from the company you don't get nothing good.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Salary, long shifts, understaffed, bad management
Great job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, UK30 November 2017
Fantastic place to be once you get your feet under the table and can start running your restaurant yourself. Ops management are slightly too involved.
bad place to work
Runner/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Cardiff Bay, Cardiff24 November 2017
I worked here for over 3 months, around 4 days a week, and not once did I get a full 30 minute break. The chefs were incredibly rude to us (runners) and often yelled at us for no reason. The pressure was immense, and oftentimes I was the only runner available (on saturdays!) and was expected to perform perfectly by myself without any help. The worst job I've ever had.
Pros
lmao none
Cons
everything
defective management
Chef (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire23 September 2017
Beautiful people, fun and good people.
Unfortunately the management is not good, the salary is minimal the program is not stable, it always changes. if you work from 10 am to closing, you have two hours break in the middle of the day, stay in the mall for two hours. in 5 days I gather 30-35 hours. I do not take into account the staff, I'm putting you to work as they need to save her money. I do not recommend
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
ENGLISH bad program, long breaks, bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Zizzi. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9