Youth Hostel Association Employee Reviews

Treat ya like rubbish
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Portland23 June 2018
Management rubbish gets you in trouble for there mistakes treat ya like a slave always arguing with husband shouts at staff infront of customers only good thing is meeting different people everyday
Pros
Different people everyday
Varied duties
Team Member - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Richmond, North Yorkshire22 November 2017
This job was very demanding and required me to be firing up the ovens for breakfast service at 6.30 am each day. I would cook during breakfast service from 7.30 am until 9 am and then I had to clean the rooms and common areas of hostel until 2 pm. After a 3 hour break I would then have to cook dinner from 5 pm until 8 pm and a couple of nights each week I would stay on the front desk for guest admissions from 8 pm until 10 pm. This would have been a typical working pattern for 3-5 days each week.
The working atmosphere was fun and we always needed a strong team with high levels of willpower.
The management was somewhat inadequate towards the end of my time there which was a reason for my quitting the job and going into full-time education.
Getting up early and working until late was heavy and my energy levels would dwindle towards the end of the 3rd day of the schedule as described above.
There were some handy benefits such as health care and perks within the YHA network.
Pros
On-site accommodation and company perks.
Cons
Very heavy work load and bad management of the particular site I was employed at.
Lovely company
Contact Advisor (Current Employee) –  Matlock, Derbyshire11 October 2017
Great company and good working hours. All training is provided on the job. Staff are friendly and welcoming. Work shifts between 8am-6pm weekdays and Saturday 9am - 5pm
Pros
Free staff stays
Cons
hard to get time off
Helpful experience
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire12 September 2017
The staff at the YHA location that I worked at were nice and overall they were very helpful in giving clear instruction for what needed to be done. This work placement offered me a great opportunity to develop my team working skills.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Working mostly outdoors
productive and fun workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  BoggleHole7 September 2017
My typical day at work would consist of Cleaning the Toilets first thing in the morning and making sure that they were up to standard. I would then perform various tasks such as washing up, taking food out to customers, dealing with customer queries, cleaning the self-catering kitchen and making teas and coffees at the barista bar.

I learnt how to work as part of a team, good customer care and communication skills. I also received flow training thus I learnt food health and safety, awell as how to successfully conduct myself appropriately in the workplace.

What I found hardest about my job was working during peak times as it would get really busy between 1-3pm and I worked from 10-4pm so it would start off quite and then id be rushed off my feet by lunch.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the friendly staff and building up rappors with new people,I also enjoyed working for the company as it is a charity so it provided me with a sense of fulfillment to know I was contributing to something.
Pros
Free Lunches
Productive and intresting
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chatham, Kent18 June 2017
Working at the reception desk making reservations, checking in and out guests when they arrived and left also making sure that each and every guest felt welcome as they entered and left the premises, assisting in cleaning the hostel making sure every room and tidy was clean. Helping out with the cooking of breakfasts and dinners for the guests and by also serving each guest their meals and maintaining the cleanliness of the kitchen after use.
Pros
Live in
Cons
Not enough pay
Teamwork
Receptionist & Coffee Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brighton, UK13 April 2017
Amazing environment to work, collaborating each other to créate a good team, helping customers to spend the perfect time in the city and a great experience.
Loved the company but
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London9 April 2017
Treated badly by a couple of team members bordering on bullying, would not recommend working for YHA because of these people! Shame really as I have been left with a poor image of YHA!
Cons
Bullying culture
Hard work BUT fun
General Manager (Current Employee) –  London6 January 2017
Great company to work for, YHA care about a work life balance. From Housekeeping, reception, Nights and a busy food operation there is something for everyone. Training is good and focused on what is relevant.

Meet guests and colleagues from all over the world, have fun in a professional environment, what more do you want.
Pros
Rewarding, diversity
Good job
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Coniston26 October 2016
Good place to work but to gain a higher level of job you need to get noticed the pay is good hours can be strange the staff are good to work with the hostels are in great locations
Pros
Free staff stay
Cons
Strange hours
Unproductive
Waitress - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Whitby7 October 2016
Not a nice company to work for don't look after staff when they have a problem don't tell you your hours that you will be working on a week to week baseis phone you telling you that you should be in when your not on the rota
productive
Cancer Research Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London22 August 2016
A typical day would start off with arriving on time and performing duties to the best of my abilities. During this experience i have gained several skills within the work force; for example improving my communication skills with customers. The most challenging part of the day is rush hour.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long lunch breaks
good fun
team member (Current Employee) –  Osmington4 June 2016
good fun would recommend doing a season to anyone I relay enjoyed the lifestyle and the staff make the job the harder you work the more you get out of it
Love it
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Manchester17 April 2016
They sometimes make some mistakes from head office, especially with bookings which is annoying for the people that work in hostels as we have to deal with the complains but the yha has definitely improve in the last years, we get pay rise and benefits, accommodation is not expensive and is usually good (depends on hostel) food is home made and cheap for us £2 each dinner, lunch or breakfast
What makes it good is the people that works in the hostels, we are all outdoorsy type of people, we all are into climbing, walking running or cycling so there is a lot of healthy people in it therefor happy people.... Dealing with guests is great as they also have that hobby in common so it makes it very informal and fun..
Some hostels are more chilled than others, work can be sometimes very fast very stressful but other times you have more time to enjoy with guests and be a bit more relaxed...
Hopefully head office wont try to change to much about Food an beverage and we will still be produce good food instead of becoming a weatherspoons.
Growing within the company is not difficult but there are some hostels where favouritism is active so it makes it harder for some to go forward, in the lakes there is definitely an elite group including area manager, one of the managers and a few duty's and team members were they have all in their hands and the rest is invisible, but that's the exception of the rule, in the other hostels is normal people working and those things don't happen.
Pros
Food, accomodation and people
Cons
Favouritism
The only way I
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Johnstone13 January 2016
do not want you back in The fact I can get it right away with the best of the best way of saying the new song and the other hand is a good time with the best of the new song is a good time with the same thing to say it
Interesting work environment
Reception Team Member (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, WLS10 December 2015
No day is similar with the customer base and job culture. It offers many responsibilities with finance and peoples' well-being.
Pros
Free dinners, many perks in and out of the work place
Cons
Can be long hours of nothing happening.
team member (Current Employee) –  Whitby19 November 2015
The Youth Hostel Association is a great company to work for. The staff are all friendly and good to work with.
While working at the hostel I was learnt many things about the workplace and also, how to handly different types of people successfully.
The Youth Hostel is an enjoyable place to work.
Good place to Volunteer
Customer Service eg showing public around hostels (Former Employee) –  Various7 October 2015
Hard work but sense of achievements. Felt I did a good job.

I helped with gardening, painting and open days. I even learnt a small amount of plumbing.

I worked with some lovely people but some could learn how to speak to people.

It was lovely seeing parts of the country, I've never seen before.
Pros
Seeing new parts of the country
Cons
Not being to claim all travel expenses back
In the workplace
Receptionist/Administrator (Former Employee) –  St. Paul's Station, ENG23 January 2015
On a normal shift, we would have a handover of what needed to be done, like online bookings and bookings that where also done over the counter. finances where handled by reception, and any general information being dealt with.
I learnt alot about how to work the booking system quite quickly, and how to sell tickets for many London attractions.
everyone at YHA had a very friendly attitude and I felt very warm when working, and was happy every day in coming to work.
The only hard par of the job for me was the online booking, As I was not used to it and i was not present long enough to get the hang of it.
I really enjoyed everything about working with YHA i wouldn't change anything.
Good company to work for
Team Member (Former Employee) –  York, ENG10 November 2014
fantastic company to work for, lovly people good management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Youth Hostel Association. Our community is ready to answer.

Youth Hostel Association Reviews by Location