Young's Pubs

Young's Pubs Employee Reviews

United Kingdom132 reviews
Fun workspace
Busy shifts, especially in the evenings. Fast -paced, always a problem to solve. Learnt how to lead a team of people, and adhance me customer service and hospitality skills. I learnt how to count tills and input figures at the end of a busy day. Very friendly atmosphere to work in, as you get to know all of the other staff very well.
Good company for training and progression
Very good company for learning and being pushed and progress.

Great environment with excellent staff and customers. If a job becomes available consider it
Pros
Learning
Cons
If it wasn't for the staff...
If it wasn't for the amazing people I worked with throughout my time there, this review would be much worse.

What can I say, over-worked and underpaid is never more true with a company like Youngs. Charging almost £20 for a burger yet only pay their staff minimum wage. Was offered more money as a waiter in a restaurant than as a manager within this company. Tells you everything you need to know really!
Great company
Really nice company to work for, good support from all layers of management. Loads of opportunities for learning and development, friendly atmosphere and good work/ life balance.
11 March 2020
Thank you for taking time out to leave a review for us. We are so pleased to hear you enjoy working for Young's. Thank you for all your hard work!
Good company
They are a very established company with a good Career Pathway up to GM level. Chef training is good with apprenticeship scheme available. Autonomy within the pub is encouraged
11 March 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We are delighted to hear you enjoy working for Young's. Thank you for all your hard work!
Nice staff good managers
Worked in the kitchen overall lovely place with lovely people would recommend going for an interview if you like waitressing and want to be a part of a good team
11 March 2020
Thank you for taking time out to leave a review for us. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed working for Young's.
good place to work
I worked for youngs a long time. The bosses were very nice, weekly payments were satisfactory. I would love to go back there to work again
I gained valuable experience that will definitely help me find a new job in the future
11 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed working for Young's.
Works for you
I think the thing that I loved about Youngs was that you could work as much or as little as you wanted. At the time of working I didn't have much else to do as in, studying, relationship, family ect. So for me I worked as much as I could doing up to 60h a week. But that wasn't rostered on for me. It would be like 35h a week and I use to ask co-workers for their weekend shifts and would cover any holiday ect. Its great as a first time job because you learn a lot about how a work place should be, in a relaxed environment. Such as being on time for work is a MUST. You learn to work collaboratively, to help out others when they might struggle with something. That you HAVE TO BE FLEXIBLE, as in you might think that youre going home at 10, but if your work load isn't finished... But mainly you learn to love what you do. And once you've shown your worth, you get rewarded and Youngs will put you through training to progress you.
All in all i've done many jobs but working for youngs was so much fun and I've made so many friends for life.
Appalling in every sense
Shocking on every level what this company lets it’s GMs get away with is unimaginable
They don’t care about the lasting effects it has on staff despite formal complaints they don’t act on anything
18 February 2020
We’re sorry to hear this. If you would like to speak to someone about your experience, please feel free to reach out to us at recruitment@youngs.co.uk
Fun and enjoyable place to work
During my time at works i have been able to work my way up through a pub that has been my first job. It has been interesting and no days are the same. The people you meet are the best
18 February 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely review and thank you for all your hard work!
Not for me
Having various roles meant I saw different aspects but generally most feel quite stressed and that they might lose their jobs or they should start looking before they do.
18 February 2020
We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time at Young’s. If you would like to speak to someone about your experience, please feel free to reach out to us at recruitment@youngs.co.uk
Big company with strong values
Supported as a manager, treated as an individual, valued as a member of the team and feel the the effort and contribution is respected by seniors.
The company is ambitious and does task you hard but supports you and is always looking for new tech, training or processes to support the task. Young's run some of the best pubs and hotels in the industry. It aint easy but if it was everyone would be able to do it.

Highly recommend if your ambitious and motivated to drive success
18 February 2020
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review!
Fun work place and good for career in hospitality
Very nice atmosphere with very good managment skills and good potentional to grow through out the company if you are seeking a career in hospitality . The hard part of working in a pub in my opinion is that you dont have a good work/life balance because you working when the people enjoying their holidays and the free time .
18 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are delighted to hear you enjoy working for Young's. Thank you for all your hard work!
Ok as temporary job
Problem with all big companies is when you start working for them you become just number and nobody really cares about you
Next thing is all that benefits like company discount... paid me right money then I don’t need all that discounts

And managers pretending celebrities.... LOL
2 January 2020
We’re sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time at Young’s. If you would like to speak to someone about your experience, please feel free to reach out to us at recruitment@youngs.co.uk
wouldnt recomend
Always under staffed, never told about numbers or functions until the last minute. Sent shopping a lot but not allowed to cash purchase.Broken equipment never mended.
bad
Good pub to work at!
If you’re not concerned about your pay or working hours it is a great place to work, especially pubs in central London. Positive environment good energy and nice colleagues. Management could use some work as in my venue it seemed like no one was responsible for managing the bar itself, besides that great place!
2 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are delighted to hear you enjoy working for Young's. If you would like to speak to someone about your experience, please feel free to reach out to us at recruitment@youngs.co.uk
Ok
I joined the company as Assistant Manager in one of the pubs in Chelsea as I’m big fan of Gastro Pubs. I have met lovely people there. I left the company because of the money. Operation managers very nice, supportive.
2 January 2020
Good company to work for
While mostly based in central London, if you have the means to commute this is a great opportunity, good advancement and they look after the staff.
Daily work is a good 60 covers, not hard but usually packed into 2 periods of 40 mins.

Management is really dood and great at problem solving.

Good workplace culture, I enjoyed that everyone involved everyone in everything, there was no backstabby or bitchiness.

Hardest part of job for me was a 3 hour commute to and from work. I had to leave because of this, if I didnt have to do this I would still be working for Youngs.

Good people to work with and its already laid out as a chef you dont have to worry about pulling your company out of the bin when it hasnt got HACCP even, Youngs is on top of it, everything that needs to have paperwork is done and theres no outside of kitchen stress.
2 January 2020
Claim they care about staff
Not a great company to work for. They expect you to do work tasks in your own time rather than creating time on a rota for you to do it at work.
Would not recommend
Shittest management
I worked at Islington branch down the canal. The managers are alcolohic disrciminative people who make you work like a slave and watch you.
They serve your bread with their dirty hands and I ain't going to tell you more to disgust you from pubs in general.
15 November 2019
Rewarding and fun company to work for
Young's are a great company to work for. There are lots of opportunities to gain great bouns' and benefits and the development team spend a lot of time with all tiers of staff to progress and better their careers. You never feel like a number on a payrol sheet.
Pros
Bonus, accommodation, meals
Cons
Long hours, open 365 days a year
15 November 2019
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We are delighted to hear you enjoy working for Young's and that your career is progressing. Thank you for all your hard work!