Young's Pubs Employee Reviews

Awful place to work
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London Bridge Station, Greater London17 March 2019
I went into the job thinking it would be fun and exciting and I wish someone had warned me how wrong I was. On a typical day you're expected to either serve at the bar with 3-5 other people and no space to move, or you're on handheld and having your cash tips stolen by other staff members. The managers are awful and have more of an interest in sitting in their rooms or the office chatting than they do in working, and only 2 of the managers (out of 6) actually have any interest in working. Managers are also not allowed to accept tips and yet it doesn't stop them from happily taking cash and blowing on booze between themselves.

The staff discount is 20%, which would be great if you were actually allowed to spend it at your own pub, and if you were earning enough to buy a drink there. They expect you to live on £8.50 an hour, when you need to spend ridiculous amounts on travel each week because you can't afford anywhere nearby on that salary.

The only thing I can say is that most of the staff were nice, and the food was mostly amazing. As long as the right staff memebers cooked it, also they don't change how much you pay for lunch so even when I wasn't working days a week I was still being charged for 5 meals per week.

The customers were generally awful, and management did nothing to stop it, including making me serve a group of older men who were making lewd sexual remarks about me, but when a customer complained that a fellow staff memeber made a lewd sexual remark to them he was made to apologize to them and put on a displinary.

The only good thing was that when
  more... the rotas where put out they were generally reasonable, but they often wouldn't be put out until a Saturday or Sunday evening, when they started on a Tuesday. You were als expected to have any days off requests in by a Wednesday, with any requests made after that being rejected.  less
Pros
Sometimes you got free drinks
Average Workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 February 2019
I loved learning and traning at Youngs.
I enjoyed how beautiful the pubs are, learning about the history of Youngs as a company and trying and learning about new food and drinks. However after working there full time for 6 months there was no value or progression. Management was always changing and felt a little taken for granted.
Pros
Friendly staff, Flexible
Cons
Long Hours, Poor Management in areas
Really enjoy working here
Kitchen Porter (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London9 February 2019
I joined the team here last December as a kitchen porter.

no 2 days are the same here ! as all the food is cooked fresh there is lots of prep and washing up !

the managers always say hello and talk to me, the head chef wants

to build a great team in his workplace.

i am treated with respect here, the pay could be a bit better?

but you get sick pay after 6 months. I really love working as part of a team, I work with some lovely people here, " Youngs " do look after our staff if you stay with them. as its a busy bar we all work as part of a team, sometimes it feels as if we are a " family "

I am happy here and hope to spend a few more years here.

thank you " Youngs " keep up the good work !
x
Pros
staff meals
Cons
Completely out of touch with their staff
Bartender/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London27 January 2019
After working in a couple of youngs pubs for a couple of years, the people I worked with and the customers I met were the only reason I had worked for youngs for so long. Working for youngs is okay as long as you're part time, however it's a complete waste of time if you're looking to progress through the business full time.

One of the main problems I have had with this company is the lack of appraisal and respect given to their staff, yet criticism was always given by the people working above. For instance, one of the pubs I had worked in was consistently surpassing the budget nearly every week, however there were rare weeks where the budget had not been met and head office was always there to make a huff about it.

There were also long periods where my colleagues and I could not get a proper staff meal so we were forced to waste our money on local supermarkets to actually get some food. This was because the head office wanted to save money by cutting the funding for staff meals, so we were left with bits and pieces of leftover food which did not equate to a filling meal. For an overly expensive and stingy company that charges nearly £7 a pint, you'd think they wouldn't have a problem with money.
Pros
Meeting and working with people
Cons
Lack of appraisal
Disgraceful company to work for
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Richard 1st, Greenwich25 January 2019
This is by far the worst company I worked for, and that includes the venue I worked in which was Richard 1st in Greenwich. The head chef, a total flake, maybe good as a cook, as most head chefs in London are, but total incompetent as a leader of the team. Whatever they ask for in the add, cannot even be accomplished by their head chef or the manager. The menu? Is already dictated by the HQ and made by people who didnt even step into a kitchen. Old and outdated, totaly tasteless. Whatever voice you have, you need to keep it down, otherwise they'll sack you immediately. The hours are not mentioned in the contract so they can vary from 0 to 40, sometimes if busy times maybe 44-48, but not more, which brings the total earnings somewhere around 1600/month which is ridiculous for a sous chef in London. ROTA is always made by the head chef after the week has already started, so don't expect to have a life. People are being cut by hours and you are expected to replace 2-3 people at once on the same salary of course. And don't get sick by any chance like a flu or something because you will become disposable in a blink of an eye. Or you are expected to work no matter what, disregarding health and safety of the customers or the kitchen team.
The only plus was part of the kitchen team which was amazing and I can considered them friends now. But the rest consisted in some kind of patches, chefs that would come when they are in the mood, totaly unreliable and making you work extra. I am totaly disgusted about what I saw there and I would advice anyone to stay out of this company and that
  more... place as well, as it is a total waste of time!  less
Pros
Nothing, absolutely nothing
Cons
Everything is wrong with this company
Busy environment
Waitress, The Grove (Former Employee) –  Exmouth26 November 2018
A very busy day, only get a break if working 8+ hours. Constantly on feet and dealing with customers. Day will consist of taking out food to customers, clearing and cleaning tables.
Cons
Long hours with no breaks
Educational
Line worker (Former Employee) –  Grimsby14 November 2018
I did not have a pleasant experience working here, the smell was unpleasant and the buliding was extremely cold, transport was fine as i rode my bike to work each day and i could lock my bike up in a safe area and leave it unattended with no worries. The noise of the machinery made comunicating with colleagues a difficult task, the breaks and lunch times were confusing as a lot of the time i would have to wait until somebody was going to break before i could work and on most days i would have to go on a 15 minute break before i could start working because i had to wait until somebody needed to go on their break as i needed totake over their job. I learned that i prefer a job that requires doing more and less standing around waiting.
Pros
Safe lockup for my vehicle.
Cons
Cold, loud and all around very unpleasant.
Disgraceful
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, Greater London24 October 2018
I was employed here for 5 months the job was quite hard work lazy staff bad management eventually they stopped listing me on the rota and i was completely frozen out and left at my own accord no guarantee of shifts and no work security now they are offering vacancies for new staff apart from that my time here was pleasant
Pros
Affordable Food
Cons
Long Hours
Bad companu
Team Leader (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  Brixton1 October 2018
Probably the worst company to work for, bad pay, bad management, bad maintenance, don’t care about their staff, you get worked like a donkey, avoid avoid avoid unless your a student and want abit of extra cash
Youngs
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  London16 September 2018
Was not a good work place didn't understand why people never got a good brake non stop work with little brake. rude employees that you don't want to work with
Pros
15 minutes brake and we'll made food
Cons
Hardly any brakes

Want to know more about Young's Pubs?

Ask a question
Unpleasant company to work for.
SALES & MARKETING COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 September 2018
I worked in the company for a number of years. There is room for progression through training and promotion but the salary does not increase at the same rate. It is a minimum wage salary.
Putting on events can be very rewarding but you will spend all of your working hours in the pubs. The pubs aren't set up like fully operating work spaces, they're set up for drinking and eating so expect to have a lot of people in the pubs during the day, eating and drinking whilst you are working.
Although the role is Sales & Marketing, you will be expected to help out doing bar work, taking orders, running food and managing staff.
There is a fast turnover of staff in the company; this includes Managers.
Pros
Progression in the company
Cons
Fast turnover of staff.
Nice experience
General Manager (Former Employee) –  London7 August 2018
Worked for the company since 2015, have learn a lot about pub life and working for this company gave me a lot of experience and will be forever grateful.
Worst place to work
Kitchen porter (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, Greater London17 July 2018
Worked there for two weeks and management was very bad and nobody cared. No team work, no communication, no standards! didn’t get paid till about 3months later and my late shifts were I was held back for like 8hours I didn’t even get paid for it! I wouldn’t recommend working here even if you are that desperate because this place will make you work like a donkey! Don’t expect help or any team work here! Doesn’t matter how fit or how fast or how hard you work you will never keep up with the amount of work. They give you! You are like a slave here. It’s the worst restaurant Iv ever stepped foot in.
Pros
Free lunch like any other restaurant
Cons
Worst place to work ever
amazing team
Front of house staff, The White Cross (Current Employee) –  Richmond12 July 2018
Just like any job, the team you work with makes all the difference. The management team at the White Cross are just amazing. I thoroughly enjoy working for youngs, even though working in a pub doesn't give you an amazing social life as my friends have 9-5 jobs.
the hardest part of the job is the physical element. But you get used to it and i have no complaints.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
social life
good
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Colchester, Essex3 July 2018
its a good place to work, busy and very productive. Lots of bookings and events happen throughout the company so good opportunities to grow in the career development.
Worst hospitality company in London!
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London Bridge29 May 2018
The management team was appalling and never took any staff complaints seriously. They were all talk but no action. General manager couldn’t even change a keg, and made a variety of wildly inappropriate comments to many members of staff.

It was clear they didn’t care about their staff as pretty much every member had at one point or another had a mental breakdown or just simply walked out because of the workload, ridiculous underpayment and the unsupportive management. The management team also did not give any team members their tips but used them instead to balance out the tills.

I would not recommended working somewhere where your privacy and personal life is violated and your wage is not fair for the amount of physical work you are doing!!
Pros
Made great friends
Cons
Everything.
Heavy job
Commis Chef (Former Employee) –  London25 May 2018
Extremely busy most of the time .
You nee to be fit to do that job.
Late finishing.
One of my colleagues everytime I need help he didn't help me.
This is bad Team work is needed.
Pros
Staff food
Cons
Long Hours
Very good training
Chef (Former Employee) –  London19 April 2018
I learnt a lot when i worked here the head Chef was very good with the training and if you got something wrong he would take his time to show you the better way to do stuff.
Pros
good staff very good training good hours
I wouldn’t recommend working here.
Bar Staff/Waitress (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 April 2018
Doing the maximum for a minimal amount. £7.50 is nowhere near enough for this job. Extremely busy 90% of the time. Most of the time you are treated like you’re just a number. No feeling of belonging. The only good thing about the duke is the kitchen staff. Such a shame.
Pros
Kitchen staff, free food & discounts in Young’s pubs
Cons
Long hours, rubbish pay, hard work.
Enjoyable environment but little advancement
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Grimsby, Lincolnshire3 April 2018
Great enviroment to work in with friendly and supportive team members in my area. No communication with the rest of the company most of the time. Limited advancment within the area of work and pay really not that good for a skilled job.
Pros
Team members
Cons
Wages, little advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Young's Pubs. Our community is ready to answer.