Yorkshire Trading Company Employee Reviews

Sales Assistant
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Newark, Nottinghamshire11 March 2019
Not very nice to staff, management not pleasant. Working shifts changed and mess ed about every week. Couldn't wait to leave. Shop was always cold, never had heating on. wages poor. Wouldnt recommend working here at all.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ripon27 January 2019
Always a job to be done and never a dull moment here. All the staff are very friendly and approachable if you have a problem. Would go back in a heartbeat
Worst Job EVER!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  North East22 January 2019
Cannot state strongly enough - the awfulness of this Company.

No care for employees Health & Safety

Illegal Working conditions

Just above freezing workplace

No breaks in line with any Government Guidelines

Treated like dispensable, worthless robots

Threatened, bullied and ignored

Workload given needs 6 staff all day, you’re lucky if you’re given 2!

H.R is the nastiest and least knowledgable department I’ve ever worked alongside ( or been dictated to by)

Everything from Head Office to the tills is outdated or broken or ridiculous

They cannot retain their staff, think it’s funny to sack people for little or no decent reason and are convinced there’s a willing and able workforce just around the corner. ( there really doesn’t seem to be)

Training is poor

Days are busy.

There are other sections within the store that need manning ( clothing and Haberdashery) large deliveries to bring in and put out. Ordering, counts, continual emails from head office asking for more counts and orders. Price reductions/increases to do, reports, constant customer complaints regarding lack of staff and the awful returns policy.
Shoplifter paradise!
Need to tidy everything daily, remerchandise daily/weekly and one staff member must be on the till constantly.
You’d think then, they’d give you more than about 20 hrs a day to do that it. Including a Manager. They don’t.
Be prepared to work with one or two others tops!

I was excited about the job when I first took it. I read all the reviews and thought they were probably exaggerated or sour grapes. They
  more... aren’t!

Most of the staff in stores are lovely, there are some very nice people at Head Office too. But as a business, they must have turned over 10% of their workforce in the year I was there.

Even as a Store Manager - if you’ve under 2 years service. They will sack you without warning, any procedures followed or reason. Giving you no chance to seek representation or help or anything.
They will also delight in you knowing this.

Eventually, you will learn the value of people. Or you will go under.
I’d be happy to see either happen to be honest.
Pros
Small discount off overpriced goods
Cons
Absolutely everything else
Starbuys
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridlington21 January 2019
Different owners who like to come into the branch and move everything around on a weekly basis even though another owner did the opposite the previous week.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Driffield28 December 2018
Working on cash registers and getting to know the locals was always a Brightside to working at the Yorkshire trading company. Many friendly people to work with and there was always room for improvement and praise,
Pros
Friendly people to work with
Cons
Long hours, pricing issues on tills
Avoid at all costs
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire19 December 2018
Avoid at all costs. I struggle to put into words how soul destroying it is to work for this company. The management are corrupt and mad with power. They will frequently remind you that you are to obey their every command and that they are not to be questioned. They will stand at the till and refuse a customer a refund, even if under the store policy the customer is entitled to one. Feel like questioning this? Yeah, you're probably going to get shouted at for that.

The fundamental issue is that management will only do the bare minimum which is required legally. If they are not legally obligated to help you, they simply won't. Morals and human decency do not exist at this company. It's 100% about minimum legal obligation.

It is embarrassing to work for this company. It's absolutely heart breaking to be working on the till, have a lovely and loyal customer request a refund and have management point blank refuse. As soon as your money is in Yorkshire Trading, you're not getting it back.

Unless you are in dire need of a job, avoid at all costs.
Pros
The floor staff who work at the Bridlington store (excluding management) are lovely
Cons
Management treat both employees and customers like dirt, It's all about minimum legal obligation morals and basic human decency are disregarded
Worst place to work!!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire17 December 2018
Started Yorkshire Trading Company thinking it would be a lovely retail job how wrong I was. Manager speaks to everyone like your something on the bottom of her shoe and expects you to change your shift willy nilly even if you’ve made plans on that day. You get awful looks an treat awfully if you don’t come in earlier than your shift your not allowed no social life! Manager does not follow procedures properly and in overal the shop is just getting ran into the ground! There is a lot better jobs out there I would not recommend working for YTC to my worst enemy never mind anybody else, felt sorry for the people that are still working there when I left.
Horrendous steer clear!
Slave (Former Employee) –  Brid28 October 2018
Bad management, poor working conditions and environment. Treat like dirt, spoken to like dirt. The owners think they are royalty and demand respect in an offensive bullying manor! H.R are full of S*** and are far from approachable! Place is a filthy dump! One bad manager after another! Steer clear!!
Pros
Cons
The list is way too long
Good Atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Skipton8 September 2018
Working at YTC means working in a good atmosphere. The other workers are all friendly and helpful whenever you need a hand, and management takes time to listen to your feedback. Even when it's busy and seems stressful, it's easy enough to share a laugh with customers and other employees.

A typical day at work includes working on the till, helping with top-stocking, and occasionally working on a delivery. I have learned how to use a till along with how to take off security tags. The management is kind but efficient and is always ahead of schedule. The culture at work is based on hard work and honest efforts. The hardest part of the job is probably working the till on a market day during peak hours, as queues can get crazy. The most enjoyable part is working delivery, as you get to see more of the shop and learn more about where everything gets put.
Awful place! store manager had no personality and swapped shifts willy nilly
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire4 August 2018
Worked at the Bridlington store summer 2018 worst job I have ever taken the place was filthy , the pay was minimum wage but they deducted money if you were late by a few minutes. The general staff were lovely I actually felt sorry for them having to stay. The manager of the shop had no real personality! She spent more time complaining and changing staffs shifts sending them home when the delivery was late and expecting them to come back! Staff just left at the drop of a hat! Don’t waste your time here there are so many better jobs out there
Pros
Cons
Dirty place, bad management store manager
Productive and fun place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Sleaford, Lincolnshire17 June 2018
I worked for Yorkshire Trading Company for two years only leaving because of home relocation, In this time I really enjoyed the job, hard work and extremely challenging, and having to think on your feet, but each day different and exciting. The team I worked with became not only colleagues but good friends. After 3 years I have returned to the area and the first place I looked for a job was at Yorkshire Trading, I’ve been back now for 6 weeks and enjoying being back with the company and store, like I said previously hard work and challenging but worth while, great place to work with great support from Area manager and head office.
Pros
Staff discount
Some lovely helpful.staff
General Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Driffield12 June 2018
Cold warehouse some very negative comments from those higher up did meet some lovely people but also met alot of nasty people who made a few lives a misery
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Cold mucky
unfair and sexist
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond31 May 2018
company values staff if they are male. female staff get belittled and ostracised. sickness is viewed as worse than theft and higher management have no consideration for the staff. day to day working was miserable and shifts spent panicking that something isn't good enough and you would end up being disciplined for trying. I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
12.5% staff discount
Cons
poor management, unsafe working conditions, sexist, bullying
Shocking Senior Management/Head Office staff, treat staff like dirt
Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire and Humberside7 March 2018
The company is run by the fear of been sacked at any point and for no reason. There is no direction from senior management and the direction if any changes more often than the wind and with no notice but has to be done then.
Human resources standards are none existence, along with poor attitude to health and safety and any maintenance issues.
Pros
Staff in store were great
Cons
The company in general
Only for the brave
Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire and Humberside10 February 2018
Worked for Yorkshire Trading for 6 months and on the whole enjoyed the work. The one thing that the company needs to understand is the value of people, unfortunately they do not!
The family control the the business and its a constant battle between good and evil. Some family members are trying to change the business, but the majority of the workers live in fear of the others. I personaly believe that if you continue to treat workers poorly, then it will end up a true family business. (No one will work for you!) I was warned before starting here, however took the reviews with a pinch of salt. I really wish I had not done this, as the majority of the reviews are true.
Culture - Do as I tell you, not as I do!
Family - Watch your back! - Living in the past!
One thing I have learned in my working career, is that you can only change if you really want to. I guess doing what we have always done, suits the business. Unfortunatley word of mouth will kill it.
bad place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridlington29 January 2018
the worst place i have worked , zero job satisfaction and no chance of progression, you are basically kept for as long as the owners like and are fully expendable regardless of your role within the company. the owners like to remind you who pays the wages and tell you to your face that they are doing you a favour employing you and they can/will get rid of you whenever they feel like it.
Pros
Cons
bad mangement, belittled by owners, everything between starting and finishing shift is soul destroying
Very Poor Management
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  all over18 December 2017
Family run business I think not!!! The sons are now in charge of most tings and treat people like rubbish!!! we were allowed no heating on at all (too much money same across many stores) - had to log in and out to go to the toilet (so they did not pay) - also you have spot bin checks as you are not allowed to leave any personal rubbish at work. HR are too scared to do anything about the way management talk to the staff and all staff that work there are pretty much fed up with the way they are treated.
You are not even allowed to get your own coffee it is brought to you and its normally cold - Stay away - shop manager expected to work loads of overtime but are only ever paid a poor wage for 40 hours!!!!
Dont work for this company
Pros
None - Horrible place to work
Cons
expected to do overtime at normal hour rate
Terrible company
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Driffield14 December 2017
No prospects, treat staff like dirt on the bottom of there shoe and are bullies. One rule for management and another for those below. Do not show any enthusiasm or new ideas because they will be dismissed and no interest shown. HR team have no people skills. None of the management team are approachable. Work long cold hours for minimum wage and not allowed to speak to anyone and walking on egg shells. Do not work here
it wasn't the best place to work but it was fun and i learned some customer skills and learning about the stock and tills.
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bridlington, North Yorkshire6 December 2017
it wasn't the best place to work at times and the backroom cafeteria is pretty terrible hygiene wise, but overall the stock wasn't so bad to carry around, everything was simple to label and the job was fairly easy to get on with when you learn the basics, i felt like the stock could be a little overpriced too for what they were selling, i felt like you could go to other stores and get it cheaper on a similar item, but they are good with outdoor and farming clothing and gear for gardens and farmhouses.
Terrible company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sleaford, Lincolnshire17 September 2017
Do not trust staff members, very high turnover of staff. Daily searchers, as well as spoken to very badly. Customers can abuse employees with no repercussions. It's a shame really, because the staff on ship floor are nice.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Bad management