York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Very caring staff
Technician (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire14 January 2019
I have worked at York hospital all my working life. I have had contact with many different parts of the hospital and I've always found people to be friendly and caring.
Pros
It's York!
Cons
Building needs some TLC in places.
21 January 2019

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, Technician (Current Employee).

Awful management and culture
Records Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire11 January 2019
Managers are incompetent and bullying, often using gaslighting tactics when they make mistakes so they can blame you for them. Managers regularly break the rules for their mates when it pleases them (not surprising considering the amount of nepotism and backscratching going on) but will discipline others in a heartbeat. Sickness policies seem to have been devised to ensure you end up worrying yourself sicker.
14 January 2019

Hi Records Assistant (Former Employee),

Thanks for your feedback - would you be happy to discuss your experience in more detail, please? I'd like to find out more from you if you feel willing to discuss in confidence - email is will.thornton@york.nhs.uk or you can call me on 01904 726424.

Assistant Head of Workforce

Discriminate against older workers.
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire11 June 2018
Although I have over 25 years of working as a qualified nurse, they would not consider me for a health care role. I can only put this down to the fact that I am in my 60th year.
24 October 2018

Hi Health Care Assistant (Former Employee),

Thanks for your comment - it'd be good to look into the detail of this for you. Drop me a line: will.thornton@york.nhs.uk.

Hard working team
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  York9 June 2018
Patient wellbeing and experience is a very high requirement on my ward, the type of patient I work with need a lot of support emotionally and so contact is important and understanding is a must, I enjoy my work and try to do my best every shift I do.
Managing work load can be difficult some times but that becomes a skill you acquire in time, supporting work colleges is a must as without the team is no longer a team.
Pros
Under staffed
Friendly but needs change
Not listed (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire21 May 2018
Very friendly hospital with some of the most approachable staff I have come across in the NHS. However, in general the hospital is very outdated especially in it's processes and systems which make your job very frustrating at times. My job is constantly using equipment which was obsolete, slow and was unable to be upgraded due to financial constraints. This made me feel like I was not providing the service patients deserve. The attitude of the hospital is to come in and do the job then leave.. change and improvements are not seen as necessary which is very disappointing.
Pros
Canteen, friendly
Cons
Equipment, facilities, attitude
24 October 2018

Hi Not listed (Former Employee),

Thanks for your comment. Age of equipment is something that came up in Staff Survey last year. I know there have been a number of capital investments since then - interesting to see if that's making people's jobs easier when we get the 2018 Survey results. I'm sure there's more to be done.

Hope things are going well for you in whatever you're doing now.

Best job ive had
Administrator (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire21 March 2018
I love coming to work and making a difference.management expect me to do my job,so i do it,im proud to work here and with the people i work with.sometimes its hard, especially when staff are off sick, but my team help eachother out so much. If you care about what you do, then you will love it here. It can be stressful sometimes but you dont take work home with you and tomorrow is usually better.
Pros
Great nurses, supportive manager
Cons
Unexpectedly busy sometimes
Friendly
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire3 February 2018
Friendly small hospital, not easy to park your car as limited car parking spaces, new canteen it does great food! Nice place to work! Clean hospital would recommend
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Car parking
Appalling attitude in the A and e
Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire9 November 2017
Unwelcoming hierarchy , staff have a poor attitude towards mental health. Loved the work but the people made it unbearable. Select few staff were fantastically supportive and kind hearted but the general impression I got from others left a bitter taste in my mouth.
Pros
The patients
Cons
Ridiculous shift patterns, staff
Don't work in the contact centre 'cupboard'
Contact Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  York5 November 2017
Expect ritual bullying by the longest standing member of staff there. Staff have left in droves because of one particularly manipulative and nasty individual.
Pros
Job itself was ok.
Cons
Bullying by long standing staff member
Very financially driven.
Doctor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire3 November 2017
It is sometime since I have worked in this trust. I therefore fell my opinion may be out of date. It would therefore be unfair to add anymore as the culture may have changed
Pros
Good work colleagues
Cons
My work environment changed significantly
Difficult and challenging enviorment at times
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Emergency Department21 April 2017
Whilst a large majority of the work force at York hospital are hard working and dedicated, it is often a hard enviroment to work in as the hospital is not large enough to cover the area and number of patients that it treats daily. With the facilities they do incredibly well, however the number of new staff with fresh ideas is limited, and any new and improved ideas that may be suggested are very often met with the 'well its always been done that way' attitude.
Pros
Good band 5
Cons
Manageme
Not enough support for staff
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  York16 November 2016
My ward is extremely busy and management are only bothered about breaching times in a and erather than patient care. Not enough support for newly qualified staff.
Enjoyed the team I worked with
Community Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  York27 February 2016
Reason I left was at the time the shift and weekend work but this is not a problem now. Some times the work load was not shared out fairly
Pros
Good training
Cons
Unfair work loads

Ask a question about working or interviewing at York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6