York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom18 reviews
Fast paced
The environment is fast paced and stressful, but rewarding with excellent team values. There is always support available through HR and training available on anything you are not sure on.
Not recommended
There is a high bullying culture at the Scarborough/Bridlington sites and unfortunately when this is highlighted to management and HR nothing is done unless you are willing to be named in the complaint, this is very difficult when you have to continue working with them.
Unless you work on the York site you hear nothing about the proposals of development and are left feeling like the trust don’t value you.

On the upside the salary is reviewed regularly and onsite/in-house training is excellent.

Would recommend starting by working on the bank and then progressing to full post as you can then evaluate which area you would prefer to working in.
Pros
Training in-house
Cons
Bullying culture
Good working environment
A busy and fast paced environment.
Good training provided.

The ability to move forward within the trust for example moving departments and promotion.

Good teamwork is essential
Pros
Flexible working
2 September 2019
Thanks for your review, Health Care Assistant (Former Employee). Wishing you all the best for the future.

Changes to contracts
I’m deeply saddened that the staff are working for lower terms due to now working for a private company within York hospital. All new starters won’t have a NHS pension for example. Myself and the staff within the Estates and facilities department are constantly worried that eventually we won’t have a job due to cuts
Pros
Used to have a good pension
Cons
Always the lowest paid seems to be penalised
Hi Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee),

Thanks for your review. We appreciate the creation of the wholly owned subsidiary was a concern for a lot of staff. Hopefully, with the passage of time since October, people can see there isn't a desire to change terms and conditions and that the Board want to protect Estates and Facilities Services at the Trust. I understand your feeling of unease though and am happy to talk to you further. Feel free to give me a call - 01904 726424.

Very caring staff
I have worked at York hospital all my working life. I have had contact with many different parts of the hospital and I've always found people to be friendly and caring.
Pros
It's York!
Cons
Building needs some TLC in places.
21 January 2019
Thank you very much for sharing your experience, Technician (Current Employee).

Awful management and culture
Managers are incompetent and bullying, often using gaslighting tactics when they make mistakes so they can blame you for them. Managers regularly break the rules for their mates when it pleases them (not surprising considering the amount of nepotism and backscratching going on) but will discipline others in a heartbeat. Sickness policies seem to have been devised to ensure you end up worrying yourself sicker.
14 January 2019
Hi Records Assistant (Former Employee),

Thanks for your feedback - would you be happy to discuss your experience in more detail, please? I'd like to find out more from you if you feel willing to discuss in confidence - email is will.thornton@york.nhs.uk or you can call me on 01904 726424.

Management driven
Unless you get to be a manager you don't exist! Views & opinions of staff which would benefit the trust don't matter, managers dont listen. Managers are good at telling you what to do but don't think about your home/work life balance. As long as you're meeting their targets from their superiors their happy.

Made to feel guilty if your off work with genuine illness and told sickness policies can lead to being sacked.

Can't wait to leave the threatening/bully cultures from managers.

Penalised for wanting to do flexi working (unless your pregnant or returning from maternity) Or if managers arent over their percentage of flexi their workers on the ward.
Pros
Clean hospital
Cons
Dated hospital heating no air con, Expensive canteen food and staff parking limited and you have to pay!!
Hi Nurse (Former Employee),

Thanks for your comment - this doesn't sound good at all. Would you be happy to discuss? I'd appreciate hearing more - email is will.thornton@york.nhs.uk or you can call me on 01904 726424. Happy to discuss in confidence.

Assistant Head of Workforce
Discriminate against older workers.
Although I have over 25 years of working as a qualified nurse, they would not consider me for a health care role. I can only put this down to the fact that I am in my 60th year.
Hi Health Care Assistant (Former Employee),

Thanks for your comment - it'd be good to look into the detail of this for you. Drop me a line: will.thornton@york.nhs.uk.

Hard working team
Patient wellbeing and experience is a very high requirement on my ward, the type of patient I work with need a lot of support emotionally and so contact is important and understanding is a must, I enjoy my work and try to do my best every shift I do.
Managing work load can be difficult some times but that becomes a skill you acquire in time, supporting work colleges is a must as without the team is no longer a team.
Pros
Under staffed
2 September 2019
Nice to read your comments, Health Care Assistant (Current Employee), thanks for your review. I'm pleased to report that staffing's getting better - lots of people working very hard at the moment to source more nurses.

Friendly but needs change
Very friendly hospital with some of the most approachable staff I have come across in the NHS. However, in general the hospital is very outdated especially in it's processes and systems which make your job very frustrating at times. My job is constantly using equipment which was obsolete, slow and was unable to be upgraded due to financial constraints. This made me feel like I was not providing the service patients deserve. The attitude of the hospital is to come in and do the job then leave.. change and improvements are not seen as necessary which is very disappointing.
Pros
Canteen, friendly
Cons
Equipment, facilities, attitude
Hi Not listed (Former Employee),

Thanks for your comment. Age of equipment is something that came up in Staff Survey last year. I know there have been a number of capital investments since then - interesting to see if that's making people's jobs easier when we get the 2018 Survey results. I'm sure there's more to be done.

Hope things are going well for you in whatever you're doing now.

Best job ive had
I love coming to work and making a difference.management expect me to do my job,so i do it,im proud to work here and with the people i work with.sometimes its hard, especially when staff are off sick, but my team help eachother out so much. If you care about what you do, then you will love it here. It can be stressful sometimes but you dont take work home with you and tomorrow is usually better.
Pros
Great nurses, supportive manager
Cons
Unexpectedly busy sometimes
Friendly
Friendly small hospital, not easy to park your car as limited car parking spaces, new canteen it does great food! Nice place to work! Clean hospital would recommend
Pros
Friendly
Cons
Car parking
Appalling attitude in the A and e
Unwelcoming hierarchy , staff have a poor attitude towards mental health. Loved the work but the people made it unbearable. Select few staff were fantastically supportive and kind hearted but the general impression I got from others left a bitter taste in my mouth.
Pros
The patients
Cons
Ridiculous shift patterns, staff
Don't work in the contact centre 'cupboard'
Expect ritual bullying by the longest standing member of staff there. Staff have left in droves because of one particularly manipulative and nasty individual.
Pros
Job itself was ok.
Cons
Bullying by long standing staff member
Very financially driven.
It is sometime since I have worked in this trust. I therefore fell my opinion may be out of date. It would therefore be unfair to add anymore as the culture may have changed
Pros
Good work colleagues
Cons
My work environment changed significantly
Difficult and challenging enviorment at times
Whilst a large majority of the work force at York hospital are hard working and dedicated, it is often a hard enviroment to work in as the hospital is not large enough to cover the area and number of patients that it treats daily. With the facilities they do incredibly well, however the number of new staff with fresh ideas is limited, and any new and improved ideas that may be suggested are very often met with the 'well its always been done that way' attitude.
Pros
Good band 5
Cons
Manageme
Not enough support for staff
My ward is extremely busy and management are only bothered about breaching times in a and erather than patient care. Not enough support for newly qualified staff.
Enjoyed the team I worked with
Reason I left was at the time the shift and weekend work but this is not a problem now. Some times the work load was not shared out fairly
Pros
Good training
Cons
Unfair work loads