York St John University Employee Reviews

Challenging and productive
Student (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire21 October 2018
- Construct your management skills
- Open minded towards another cultures
- Diversity
- Long hours work but worth it
- Train you to be profesional presenter
Fun
Digital Ambassador (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire17 October 2018
Exciting and fun job that allows me to develop experience in a field I'm interested in while also having a healthy work-study balance. It isn't too demanding and acknowledges my status as a student.
Constantly changing & restructuring unsecure environment
Middle manager (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire3 September 2018
Leadership & Management unclear of overall goals. Unfortunately affects staff morale, staff employability & security. Only focus on top layers of staff.
Not a good place to work. VC constantly restructuring departments and schools
Pros
Good holidays & health benefits
Cons
No long term security.
Unpredictable
Middle Manager (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire28 June 2018
Constant restructurings and 'game-changer' projects do not leave enough time to work! Senior management is out of touch with the academic environment.
Pros
Great academics
Cons
Horrible management
work experience
Voluntary Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  York12 March 2018
Brilliant company to work for. Friendly staff and management alike. Great benefits and bonuses are on offer. Very good place to work overall in my opinion.
Fantastic Benifits and community environement
Accommodation (Current Employee) –  York21 February 2018
Fantastic community workplace with great in work benefits. Staff training course is a great way to build knowledge to grow with York St John or take across different areas.
Research
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire21 November 2017
Typical day- 0 hours contract so you don't work regularly
I learned -about the research topic
Workplace culture- small team so not your typical worlplace
A progressive, diverse university on a lovely campus with ambitious and engaged students
Visiting Lecturer in English and Creative Writing (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire17 October 2017
Teaching here you will have access to great resources, modern teaching spaces informed by older architecture and be part of an inclusive accommodating workplace
A good learning experience
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  York St John University5 October 2017
Offered Counselling to University students and signposted them to other organisations when appropriate.

Worked in a community hub talking informally to customers and counselling when required.

Learned self-motivation, worked independently and as part of a team.

Have managed volunteers and paid staff as parts of previous work.

As a teacher and counsellor I love being involved in enabling others to rise to their potential. I believe I am supportive and encouraging but remain realistic.
Pros
Support of Lecturers
Cons
Expectations were not always made clear
Working collaboratively
DIRECTOR, INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee) –  York14 November 2016
York St John University offers employees the important advantage of working closely with academic staff and other experts across the university.

The International Office works closely with academic staff to provide a fulfilling and rich experience for overseas students who have taken the decisive step to study and live outside their country of origin. This brings its own challenges for staff who provide a welcoming and supportive background to allow students to achieve their full academic potential.

The Director International role provides the opportunity to coordinate the full lifetime experience for students, from counselling and advice, through to application and enrolment and then to arrival and study.
Pros
Strong collabortive work ethic
Cons
Occasional stretched resources
friendly and great learning environment
International (Current Employee) –  York30 August 2016
As York St John is a small university, there are fewer staff and so it is a more diverse workload per person. This is great because you get to learn a lot of different skills however it is also confusing as to what direction your role is heading in to. However, I've learned a lot during my time here and I am grateful for the support I've received.
The management are good and the benefits are great. All my co-workers are lovely also.
Pros
Flexi, good team members, set hours
Cons
management, progression
Fun and flexible
Residential Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  York14 March 2015
Great to work for, I gained a lot of leadership experience as I had to make sure the students on my particular campus were settling in okay, respecting the terms of agreement contract and work alongside security and the accommodation team. The hardest part was having to detach yourself from some students and helping them in the best way you can without getting too involved. My favourite part was getting to know everyone and meeting people from all over the globe.
would have liked more organisation
Lower Primary PGCE student (Former Employee) –  York, ENG14 July 2014
my lower primary PGCE could have been slightly better organised, for example, the timing of what we were taught and when. I enjoyed all of my placements and gained valuable skills and experience including, determination to fulfil a career in teaching, patience, persistence, perseverance, forming and maintaining positive relationships with children, parents/carers and staff members. The Hardest part has been completing the academic assignments in between placements but luckily they were all completed before out final placement began. The most enjoyable part has been having block placements in different schools to further my knowledge, understanding and ability to teach 3-7year olds. During my final placement, I strongly felt like a part of the team and made strong relationships with the class teacher and teaching assistant who I worked alongside.
Pros
placements
Cons
were not 100% organised with teaching inputs at university
Easy money, hard future
Student Blogger (Current Employee) –  York, ENG21 May 2014
As a Student Blogger, I was tasked with participating in the group writing a series of posts for prospective students, discussing York, York St John, and student life in general. With no fixed hours, instead being minimum wage on the assumption that one post is equivalent to 1 hours work, I found the structure of the job to be very loose and easy to work with, however, due to the nature of the job and my position, it is difficult to see a career path that could stem from this position. Whilst writing is rewarding, I would prefer a more structured and regular income at the cost of the job being not as close to my personal interests.
Pros
Easy hours/money
Cons
No prospects, inconsistent wage.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at York St John University. Our community is ready to answer.

York St John University Reviews by Location