YO! Sushi Employee Reviews

A dynamic place. Time goes quickly
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nationwide18 September 2019
It's a well established brand focusing on a great customer service and happy staff. Top popular sushi chain in UK. Expanding in Europe and USA, there will be a lot of opportunities for a career.
Savage workplace
Head Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Stratford21 August 2019
If you work in the pot wash make sure you are on your twenties and you've got your body rocked and that you have no regards for your well being cause neighter do they, it's only you there running the potwash in an incredibly small and packed area. Chefs were only doing better than the kitchen porter for the different work they were doing but loads of doubleshifts and really hardwork was a standard on them. Waiters were overlystressed by managment that call them in on their days off without notice as that treatment works for everyone else also of course.
Pros
Can choose from the menu some food to have on duty
Cons
loads of double shifts are a must + ruthless and unrespectful management
Awful place
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk14 August 2019
Yo! Sushi Norwich is a terrible place to work, you get treated like dirt managers are awful and it’s not worth the pay WORST JOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!! Do not apply.
Good environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside22 July 2019
I worked in the company for just under two years and it has taught me much about hospitality and costumer service in general.
It is a well organised company with very proactive managers and staff members.
For those who want to start a career in hospitality I would highly recommend it.
Pros
Free meals on shift, paid break, rotas up to 4 weeks in advance.
Productive and fun workplace
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent25 June 2019
My position was a kitchen porter, I had to remain downstairs from the front of house and basically clean dishes and/or the surrounding area. It gave me a chance to learn basic health and safety requirements, it also gave me experience in the restaurant industry.
The worst
Team Leader - waitress (Former Employee) –  Exeter6 June 2019
The assistant manager is never working, always at the office chatting or doing online shopping. When you complain about this they punish you instead of her. Always left alone at the floor (busy or not) and never trained to do nothing.
Cons
Long shifts, no team work, no good management.
Maybe they’ve changed
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Russell Square Station17 May 2019
- They expect you to learn at an unbelievable rate with pressure applied like I’m not Siri
- Pay was rubbish
- Was dismissed as I was told to not come back, so I did not come back but later on got in trouble for not coming back as I was told to? The person who told me not to come back, lied and said she did not. An absolute joke.
- When asked to be trained as floor staff, I was mocked however, I already had experience serving customers.
Pros
Food tasted nice, some members of staff were okay
Cons
Too much pressure
Starts off good turns into a nightmare
Chef (Current Employee) –  Hertfordshire13 May 2019
When I started we were told the rota would work around what we could do. When my resturant opened I was told by management my availability didn't matter and the interviewers always lie. We have worked 17 hour shifts with no breaks because its busy. Finishing at midnight to start at 7 in the morning. We have a member of staff leave every week. The rotas change daily with no notice. You can get to your shift to be told you're no longer needed. You get given less hours than your contract. Lunch breaks if you're lucky enough to have cover for it.
I regularly receive my rota for the week commencing at past 9pm on the Sunday.
The managers are changing constantly and just blame their predecessor with no improvements being made
Pros
Free lunches, team members are like family
Cons
Long hours, not given breaks, changing rotas, late rotas, no life balance
It’s okay
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire6 May 2019
I’ve worked at 2 and they’re both okay. There are nice benefits Like 50% off, 5 free dishes on your break and a few others depending on what restaurants you were at. Plus for a starting job and a part time job at university the pay was great. However as my manager actually said to me “they don’t care about your life outside of work” meaning there’s not a lot of work/life balance, plus I’ve actually had to apologise on behalf of my manager as she would preach about being a vegan in front of customers who were ordering and eating fish and meat it’s just not on! The worst part is your shift can finish at 10pm for example but sometimes you wouldn’t be allowed to leave will 11/12 and you wouldn’t be payed overtime!!! I was also employed on a zero hour contract without being informed
Pros
Okay pay for starting job plus good discounts and food on shift
Cons
Long hours, having to work overtime without pay
good experience
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Gatwick Airport Station, West Sussex6 April 2019
Hard work, requires speed and high level of work organization. I learn there discipline and team work. Good management.There always was requisite equipment. Very polite and helpful staff. The hardest part/area in this restaurant was back kitchen/hot food preparation area where I used to work.
Pros
new skills
Cons
high possibility of knife cuts
Stay away if you want to feel supported
Chef (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire13 March 2019
My goodness me, what an absolute joke of a restaurant. I worked at the Cheshire Oaks one & the management just do not care. They spend more time in the back on their phones. The head chef is one of the laziest individuals I have ever met. The manager thinks work day to day is a fashion show & the staff turnaround is hysterical.
The management above the restaurant ones are just as bad, expecting you to just do, no training, don't question, just do.
Pros
Free food on shift. Weekly pay
Cons
Poor management.
Bluewater yo sushi avoid at all costs
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent5 March 2019
Company pays minimum wage without service charge, so you have to work at tipping point working for pennies basically.

Noone cares about their job. Extremely hostile, bullying environment.

Management extremely uknowlegdeable and rude.

Tips only £8 given in time worked there. People stealing tips.

No training.
Pros
Food
Cons
Everything else
Avoid at all costs
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 February 2019
I worked in YO glasgow central the place is a complete joke. The manager thinks that she is always right and the staff are wrong. Profits have priority over staff safety. The tips from customers are supposed to be divided between the staff every week but they are only sorted when the shift managers "can be bothered" which in some cases can be between 3 to 6 weeks (which happened all the time). There is no such thing as staff training in there u are told what to do and left to it even if u dont know what u are doing. Absolute joke of a place DO NOT WORK THERE u will not last long until u want out of there and into another job.
Pros
Cons
Everything else
A different place
Team Leader FOH (Former Employee) –  London15 February 2019
Free meals on yours half an hour breaks
Promotion possibility
Chance to develop your skills

Nice workplace with a conveyor belt around the restaurant,sushi and hot food available
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Bad management
Fun place to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 February 2019
The atmosphere of every YO! Sushi is unique in its own great way, however the Work/Life balance is barely existent as you may either be sent home early or end up working later then scheduled.
Over Worked Yet The Team Made Work Great!
Waitress / Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire3 February 2019
I worked over 40+ hours a week, usually more then scheduled due to working later then stated, covering hours or having hours added on without being asked or told about it.

Double shifts may be easy money but they are long and tiring and doing 5 or more in a row is terrible and should not be allowed

I loved the people i worked with and can't thank them enough for all they have done for me

I liked the people i worked with but i did not like the company or the brand it's self due to only caring about money and profit, not staff or well fare.
Pros
Free Food, Happy & Helpful staff, 50% staff discount
Cons
Long Hours, Cared More About Money Then Staff's welfare
Tiring
Team Member (Former Employee) –  East Sussex29 January 2019
When I first started I actually enjoyed the job but after several management changes there wasn't a day that wasn't a pain. It became very hostile especially when managers would shout at team members in front of customers. We were never informed of changes made to our schedules, and the place always seemed to be short staffed during peak hours sometimes I didn't even get a shift break. Everything breaks and takes ages to get fixed (if it even does) It seems money is more important than the customers and workers needs.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long hours, Unorganised
Trial Shift
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex23 January 2019
Did a trial shift at the on the 12th January at Brighton Location doing certain tasks which was okay. But was told I get told if I had the job but have not heard anything back about it
Training
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon2 January 2019
I did a trial shift at Yo Sushi, baring in mind my trial was a on a blue moon day which was extra busy. I was told to do various tasks which was fine but felt no one was there to help me much. Was very daunting trying to do something that I didn’t understand when lots of people are watching. The most supportive people were the customers telling me I was doing ok. At the end they said they’d be in touch and never were. Rudest place ever
Horrible
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Gatwick Airport , West Sussex19 December 2018
Not a great place to work and study. They treat everyone like 15 year old teenagers. The managers thing they own the whole company and it is never their fault.
Pros
free food
Cons
everything else