YO! Sushi Employee Reviews

Stay away if you want to feel supported
Chef (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire13 March 2019
My goodness me, what an absolute joke of a restaurant. I worked at the Cheshire Oaks one & the management just do not care. They spend more time in the back on their phones. The head chef is one of the laziest individuals I have ever met. The manager thinks work day to day is a fashion show & the staff turnaround is hysterical.
The management above the restaurant ones are just as bad, expecting you to just do, no training, don't question, just do.
Pros
Free food on shift. Weekly pay
Cons
Poor management.
Bluewater yo sushi avoid at all costs
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent5 March 2019
Company pays minimum wage without service charge, so you have to work at tipping point working for pennies basically.

Noone cares about their job. Extremely hostile, bullying environment.

Management extremely uknowlegdeable and rude.

Tips only £8 given in time worked there. People stealing tips.

No training.
Pros
Food
Cons
Everything else
Avoid at all costs
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 February 2019
I worked in YO glasgow central the place is a complete joke. The manager thinks that she is always right and the staff are wrong. Profits have priority over staff safety. The tips from customers are supposed to be divided between the staff every week but they are only sorted when the shift managers "can be bothered" which in some cases can be between 3 to 6 weeks (which happened all the time). There is no such thing as staff training in there u are told what to do and left to it even if u dont know what u are doing. Absolute joke of a place DO NOT WORK THERE u will not last long until u want out of there and into another job.
Pros
Cons
Everything else
A different place
Team Leader FOH (Former Employee) –  London15 February 2019
Free meals on yours half an hour breaks
Promotion possibility
Chance to develop your skills

Nice workplace with a conveyor belt around the restaurant,sushi and hot food available
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Bad management
Fun place to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 February 2019
The atmosphere of every YO! Sushi is unique in its own great way, however the Work/Life balance is barely existent as you may either be sent home early or end up working later then scheduled.
Over Worked Yet The Team Made Work Great!
Waitress / Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire3 February 2019
I worked over 40+ hours a week, usually more then scheduled due to working later then stated, covering hours or having hours added on without being asked or told about it.

Double shifts may be easy money but they are long and tiring and doing 5 or more in a row is terrible and should not be allowed

I loved the people i worked with and can't thank them enough for all they have done for me

I liked the people i worked with but i did not like the company or the brand it's self due to only caring about money and profit, not staff or well fare.
Pros
Free Food, Happy & Helpful staff, 50% staff discount
Cons
Long Hours, Cared More About Money Then Staff's welfare
Tiring
Team Member (Former Employee) –  East Sussex29 January 2019
When I first started I actually enjoyed the job but after several management changes there wasn't a day that wasn't a pain. It became very hostile especially when managers would shout at team members in front of customers. We were never informed of changes made to our schedules, and the place always seemed to be short staffed during peak hours sometimes I didn't even get a shift break. Everything breaks and takes ages to get fixed (if it even does) It seems money is more important than the customers and workers needs.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long hours, Unorganised
Trial Shift
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex23 January 2019
Did a trial shift at the on the 12th January at Brighton Location doing certain tasks which was okay. But was told I get told if I had the job but have not heard anything back about it
Training
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon2 January 2019
I did a trial shift at Yo Sushi, baring in mind my trial was a on a blue moon day which was extra busy. I was told to do various tasks which was fine but felt no one was there to help me much. Was very daunting trying to do something that I didn’t understand when lots of people are watching. The most supportive people were the customers telling me I was doing ok. At the end they said they’d be in touch and never were. Rudest place ever
Horrible
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Gatwick Airport , West Sussex19 December 2018
Not a great place to work and study. They treat everyone like 15 year old teenagers. The managers thing they own the whole company and it is never their fault.
Pros
free food
Cons
everything else
DEcepcionante
Chef (Former Employee) –  Greater London24 November 2018
Si tienes discapacidad nunca vayas allí
Sueldo mínimo...
turnos de 10h...
Pros
variedad en comida
Cons
turnos
Good time
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Richmond12 November 2018
The job was great, made so many friends and loyal regulars. I learned a lot about Japanese food and how to make it. Management slacked abit but team made up for it. I would work here again.
It was OK...
Front Of House Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bromley, Greater London7 November 2018
I initially loved Yo! The fast paced environment, the shift patterns, however, it fell downhill very quickly. Staff were always arguing, the manager walked off frequently, shifts being cut to a point that nobody could survive from it. The management knew there was problems but chose to ignore the complaints and with the staff arguing in front of customers it was very unprofessional. In the time where I enjoyed Yo! Life was great.
Pros
Free food, discount in other stores, good weekly pay
Cons
Management, long hours, falling apart
The most unorganized place I've ever worked!!!
Kitchen member (Former Employee) –  Glasgow central27 September 2018
The management in that place is terrible.
Nobody cares about anything.
It's just a joke.
If you have ANY other options just stay away.
Very hostile environment.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Everything else
Slave Labour
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire9 August 2018
You're made to feel expendable. Adherence to working time directive is laughable.

Training is non existent, investment in staff doesn't exist, the pay is abysmal.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire11 July 2018
Good management, good pay and fairly flexible hours.
Most of the team were hard working and team meetings were professional and useful to improve.
A lot of positive praise given out. If you're hard working you'll do well
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Stay overtime to clean
Fun Place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh18 June 2018
Fun place to work, gain experience from a different type of service style, there is the opportunity for progression. It is overall a great place to work.
Pros
Free Lunch and Dinner
Management needs improving.
Team Member - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Windsor15 April 2018
Great staff, great customers with the odd few that can ruin your day but that's expected. Wary of the management. The manager just didn't seem to have a clue about anything. Always running out of stock in the middle of the week, sending Rota out ridiculously late and reducing hours; which isn't ideal when you're paying rent and bills - just adds a lot of unnecessary stress. I'd say that my last few months there became a struggle, barely enough to cover rent and get to/from work and then let go. Manager couldn't give me any actual reason as to why Im being let go, but to me it further demonstrates the higher ups at Yo! don't care for their employees.
Pros
Food, customers and staff
OK work
Team Member and Host (Former Employee) –  london19 March 2018
passionate about Japanese food and we believe in eating well. Our aim is to make delicious, fresh sushi daily using only the finest quality ingredients and to deliver your order with great care.

Please visit us at one of our restaurants in London, or let us deliver our delicious Japanese dishes loved by Londoners straight to you.
very productive work place
Team leader (Former Employee) –  Fulham Broadway Station18 February 2018
Lots of preparations, very busy shifts almost every day.
How to run busy shifts and how to work under pressure.
Strong management.
Very professional.
Constantly busy.
Productive shifts.
Pros
50% off
Cons
staff turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YO! Sushi. Our community is ready to answer.