YO! Sushi

YO! Sushi Employee Reviews

United Kingdom92 reviews
Interesting work place but fun & challenging as it is a restaurant. Overall not bad. Pay could be better for the work that is done. Less staff sometimes I work by myself with one manager.
Pros
Free staff meals
Cons
Less staff
Working at Yo sushi was great. Everybody was so friendly, I don't want to sound cheesy but it felt like a family away from home. Even the toughest days were fairly easy. As a front of house (waiter) you are tasked with taking orders for the customers, supplying drinks and conveying the food from the kitchen to the tables; easy peasy I tell you. Occasionally I had to help in the kitchen but this was not compulsory. Definitely the best 2 years of work life I've had so far. Plenty of opportunity and always fun.

Considering the cultural standing of it being Japanese street cuisine the customers are always pleasant and very friendly too, some of whom I got to know well and become friends with. Beyond all that the company is very supportive with training and advancement opportunities. The hours are very flexible, I personally was able to choose how many hours I wanted to do and which days I could do. Of course this might not be available for everybody but they will at least try to accommodate.

On top of all that you could have 5 items off the menu each day so I never paid for lunch in the 2 years I worked there. I ate like a king.
Pros
Free Lunches, Great hours, Friendly employees, Friendly management
Cons
Split shifts but this could be a benefit as it was for me
Lovely company to work for. Work/life balance has been great. Haven't got bad experience with management on both team and higher level. The culture is great. Of course it may depend on the particular location but most of the people I've worked with have been great.
Job is easy to pick up, good work/life balance since most people are on 0 hour contract. Free meals. Unpaid 1 hour break. Good online teaching module to prepare you. Hardest part of the job is dealing with nasty customers. Culture can be a bit toxic but that's like any job. Very lovely upper management.
Managerial experience is shocking. Big tip, don’t get ill because they will fire you. Some staff were unpleasant to work with as they had an attitude.
very busy on a typical day, usually understaffed, I learned a lot of what I know today about the job and about the industry, hardest part of the job very long shifts with only a 30 mins break
Manager was amazing and there's always something to do, never boring and learned some great skills as well as worked with some great people. the hardest part of the job would be working in a small space when there are more than 3 people on at a time, or it would be keeping up when it is busy and you are on shift alone. Nevertheless a great working environment and an amazing team to work with.
It was great to work in this company, we had a weekly salary and free food for lunch and dinner during the shift, it was surely hard at times, but with the right team everything it is possible.
Hardworking staff all lost their jobs as company treats you like piece of s***, no consideration how people will pay their bills these difficult times, when they bust they make you work doubles, when you not needed you can go home with your p45
great place to work at, always something to do. Typical day at work consisted of cleaning, serving customers and cash handling. Hardest part of the job was the rush hour lunches especially when short staffed.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Sometimes long closes
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at YO! Sushi?
Never work for this company if you love getting messed around and don't want job security. They change contracts, not pay you right and no one to go higher to. PLEASE AVOID.
This company does not care about its staff, the environment is chaotic and completely falls to pieces when things aren't running perfectly. Staff are worked to exhaustion because the company are too cheap to staff the restaurants appropriately.

Management inside the job are inefficient and unprofessional, people feel like they're constantly walking on egg shells

Mental health isn't recognised as an actual illness, physical wellbeing is not a priority and you will be made to feel guilty for being genuinely sick and unable to work.

Labour is exploited and for little to no thanks. Team leading felt more like a nightmare-like babysitting job.

I have never worked in a place with such low morale, hospitality is run by people and this job seems to have sucked the humanity out of it. The company has an extremely high turnover of staff and you have to question why that is before considering working there.
Overall Yo Sushi is good employer, that said the management does change a lot and this then leads to inconsistentcies in approach and style. The hot chef area is the hardest role to do due to 70% of the orders are hot.
No training, got offered job over phone never met area manager , treated very bad if can't make a shift. They don't care if you have a condition for example depression
Company have the right ideas on how to operate however they pitch ideas company wide instead of per site which doesn’t always work, questioning this doesn’t get you any clearer information either
I work at the kiosk not in the actual restaurant and it's ok, the pay is not the best but good and you work only 8 hours and that's it. And you work in the morning not in the evening.
Working at YO! was good fun at first. Lots of people to talk to and get to know and then everything went down hill. The manager left and people followed, people that stayed behind became nasty and very arrogant towards others. If I had an issue I was to report to a manager, the issue is we did not have a manager for 3 months.
Management care about their bonus not their staff
Company couldn't care less if you died tomorrow as you are just disposable and you are treated liie a criminal for being ill.

Minimum wage for a high stress job when you should be paid based on skill and experience not age.

Shame as could be amazing if the company actually gave a s*** about staff
New experience,nice people to work with and the time it's flying,never got bored... If you thinking for a place to develop yourself and gather new skills and experience,this will be the most suitable place.
Absoluting disgusting, management are completely rude. No care for for the whole work life balance. Stressful hours and being under pressure constantly.
Having to work over christmas too! Open every other day/bank holiday/half term we are open! But Christmas the only time we get to spend with family taken away from us, completely unfair! Not even getting paid double time. Glad I left when I did!
No training provided even tho they say they will provide it.
Drop you into the section with expectation but no support.

Minimum rate.

No job culture or respect.

Rude management.

Just don't work for them.