YMCA Employee Reviews

fun place to get retail experiance
CHARITY VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Kingstanding, West Midlands10 January 2018
A typical day at work is assisting alternate members of staff and working as a team to keep the shop running.

During my time there I have learned to work tills,price and sort stock and keep shop floor presentable for customers.

The hardest part of the job is that not every customer is sunshine and roses but you just got to keep smiling and wishing them a nice day.

The most enjoyable part for me is meeting new people and you always have certain customers that come in daily so you get to know people.
Pros
Retail experiance
Cons
Its a volenteer job so there is no pay
work is rewarding
Youth and Community Worker (Current Employee) –  Redditch8 January 2018
the impact on young peoples lives is so rewarding and makes the job such a good job to have however for the amount of additional work needed the pay does not meet the amount of effort put in by staff
good place to work with friendly staff
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend4 January 2018
I enjoyed working here as part of their team helping and supporting others and making sure the day to day operations went smoothly with no problems or issues.
Pros
good friendly place to work
Cons
could have paid better
friendly setting
Nursery Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 January 2018
I enjoy the setting I work in and love my job caring for the children and watching them blossom and develop into young children. However , I know feel that its time to extend my job role and progress in my career.
Pros
homely enviroment
Cons
underpaid
It's an experience..
Everything. (Former Employee) –  Staffordshire21 December 2017
When you dare to vocalise issues with pay, hours etc, suddenly everything starts to go wrong for you. The fact that any customer facing role is minimum wage (or below) and management/directors are on tens of thousands more is dire, especially when these directors don't even know the customers names.

Basically: if you're a yes person who will never raise and issue and is more than happy making peanuts, this is the job for you.

At one point, YMCA focused on helping the homeless. Now they advertise rooms on Estate Agency websites ruling out anyone with mental health/substance issues. The direction YMCA has moved in speaks volumes. More about money. Otherwise how could they afford their management pay rises/bonuses?!
Pros
The young people you work with.
Cons
Pay, management, career progression.
Mostly nice staff
Nursery Practitioner (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich19 December 2017
Lovely place to work at along as you are in that circle and not pushed out because then things will start to go wrong for you, you will love your job but wont like that you are not getting supported and are always under stress
worst decision of my working career
Location Manager/QAM (Former Employee) –  Bristol12 December 2017
The company YMCA Training NOT YMCA. was all about money and not about the education, development or well being of candidates or staff.

Senior management were unhelpful and had an active blame culture.

Horrific, wish I could delte it from my CV and life
Good Place to work
Grants Administrator Burton and District (Former Employee) –  Burton, ON7 December 2017
YMCA was a good place to work. Mangement were very nice and helpful. All the volunteers that worked here were also very nice and helpful. The only bad thing about working here is that there isn't much opportunity to get a pad job.
Pros
Mangement are nice
Cons
Hard to get a paid job
Great opportunity
Volunteer retail assistant (Current Employee) –  Twickenham2 December 2017
Volunteering in your local YMCA is a great way to learn new skills, build new friendships and contribute to your local community. It may also enhance your CV and job prospects for the future!
Great staff
Floating Support - Independent Living Coach (Former Employee) –  Crewe2 December 2017
Great place and people. You work among people who are extremely committed in their work and take pleasure from helping other. I would recommend it to anyone who's looking for new challenges!
Pros
open culture
experienced retajl environment
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rotherham, South Yorkshire29 November 2017
did work experience 8 weeks sales and customer service, cash handling , stock rotation, pricing of goods, general housekeeping,
advising customers , little experience of working steamer on clothing.
dreadful place to work
Training instructor (Former Employee) –  Folkestone, Kent28 November 2017
Internal politics dominates - don't expect any support from the management. Back stabbing staff and middle class do-gooders as senior management make the place a dreadful experience to work in. A christian based ethic is a laugh, they are anything but.
Pros
Cons
don't work there
It was a place i loved to go i loved the staff and the skatepark
Helping in around the skatepark (Former Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear27 November 2017
I loved the staff i loved the skatepark it was not paid work i just used to help out sometimes and get free stuff and geniourlly just help out of genouristy and love for the skatepark
Pros
Free snacks drinks and stickers and to skatepark
Cons
Non
Fun work place
Painter and Decorator (Former Employee) –  Curdridge24 November 2017
I prepared rooms for decorating, i prepared walls by sanding cleaning filling ect, i painted walls and woodwork, kept work area safe and tidy i worked as part of a team and alone.
Fun and enjoyable
Taekwondo Instructor (Former Employee) –  Thornton Cleveleys23 November 2017
I found volunteering at the YMCA centre teaching taekwondo very enjoyable, it taught me how to engage with different types of people and I had fun whilst doing it. The other members were kind to me and helped me out when I struggled with anything.
Great members.
Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Bath22 November 2017
Lovely gym, brilliant members. Amazing team. If I got offered a full time contract and more money sooner, I would probably still work here. Comfortable atmosphere
Pros
Great staff, great members
Cons
No progression within the company
Fun workplace
Gymnastics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Rye, NY22 November 2017
I loved working at the Rye YMCA. I loved my job working with kids, and gained a lot of valuable experience in how I see myself as a professional machine. It was very fulfilling work.
volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester21 November 2017
this was an amazing experience and one that I shall never forget about. the memories I created abroad with the YMCA will never leave me and I met some amazing people.
Pros
expereince
Cons
coming home
no loyalty to self employed workers
Driver /maintenance (Former Employee) –  south coast21 November 2017
Multiple changes to the retail Directors position resulted in multiple closures of retail branches throughout the south of England and beyond, this resulted with a huge loss of work available and demonstrates the lack of consideration when considering the self employed persons financial liability's whilst working on behalf of the YMCA organisation.
Pros
nil
Cons
variable
productive and fun workplace
Nursery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gosport, Hampshire19 November 2017
had a fun time working with the children and helping them grow. also the staff are very nice you do get quite dirty as you are working with children but as long as you like working with children then is fine
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
get dirty alot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.