Here to help

YMCA Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,095 reviews
Found 1,095 reviews matching the search
challenging enjoyable professional
very good place to work to help build up your skills and gain experience working within a team or on your own imitative meeting clients needs around homelessness and helping them gain Independence to help them move forward in every day life.
The YMCA is a very different place to work.
The environment is fairly laid back but fast paced at the same time. I have gained lots of additional skills as the job is different than anything I have ever done before.
awful
Wasn't a good place to work at management aren't approachable and I constantly felt like I was being put down and no support in place and stressful long working hours and favouritism for staff that they knewonger I felt like I didn't belong Thier and it was just horrible never worked in a nursery like it.
Overall a good experience
You get a lot of responsibility and management will give you freedom to implement and change procedures in order to make improvements. There is a lot of work and it is fast paced.
Pros
Freedom to change procedures to suite the way you work. Good atmosphere
Cons
Pay - and if long hours is not for you then don't work here
great place to work
great place to work, talented and collaborative team always ready to go the extra mile to support the clients they work with and always balancing professionalism with the personal touch
A middling but great place to work at
There's not a lot to say, the pay and type of work where the most interesting aspects of YMCA Beds.

Management was a mixed bag, I had a great superior, but I wasn't too fond of his right hand man.
busy, but friendly and fun
A good place to work at heart of community. all the staff are hardworking but are all good fun, and are like a close knit family.
Everyone is very approachable and the centre running is very much a team effort. a great place to work.
Productive and fun workplace
It was a creative and fun environment we were given to work in to fundraise. They had a theatre and sports hall which massively played as an advantage to us as we could utilise it
Not a very appreciative company for a charity
As a charity organisation the ymca should treat their employees and volunteers better.We were only told two weeks before the store closed we would lose our jobs.the volunteers didn’t even get a thank you for all their work when we closed down.it was down to me personally to thank them.
maintine team
was very nice work the manager very rude to you all the time to you did help out do jobs for this place you be in on time as well no gear to do the jobs that told by the manager on-site and the rude to the manager and the siverper
Great opportunity
Even though I had to relocate to Texas, my experience during my time working with the YMCA was amazing. From your co staff members to the parents and children you meet during the time of working throughout summer camp was life changing. It helped shape me as a person and gave me an insight to how I like to approach my opportunities and how I can go about completing my duties with the professional work morals I gained.
Volunteer
I did not get paid for this job as I was only a volunteer, however I did enjoy it very much and if I did get offered a proper job here I would’ve taken it straight away
Good work, steady
This was a volunteer job.
The shift was for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening.

There was no pay.

In return for services rendered, the resident was given 3 wash tokens per shift used on the washing machines in the laundry room. These tokens had a cost value of £1 a token.
Would never work for them ever again
Got took on as a manager got handed set of keys and left to get on with it no training no help at all special need helps which I also had to look after so I was not aloud to have a dinner break out side the shop cause there was no other staff
productive and fun working place
i worked my way up from volunteer to become assistant manager the people who work there were good fun to be around and it was more like a family then a buisness
Productive and a good place to work
A very welcoming and inspiring place to work that enables young people to contribute and thrive in their community.
An organisation that is still going through a lot of changes in culture, structure and the management of its people.
Ymca
Would recommend. Great place to work. Good culture and feel to the team.
They pay well too and there are lots of pizza night type of perks.

They genuinely care
Pros
Good team
workers are friendly
a fun company to work for and able to do courses in house to further your carreer the byouth workers are a great team and very good at their job the young people are friendly and easy to get on with, there is lots of paper work to complete daily and lots of emails to correspond to.
Pros
free tea and coffee
Cons
too much paperwork
Great place to work, staff are so supportive and encouraging.
Shift pattern is my only issue not great for work life balance, but that is only if you are a project worker. Other roles have normal hours.
Great honor working with YMCA, Reading people!
Excellent team, great people, kind, compassionate and caring. I have had a invaluable experience working together. I would highly recommend to challenge yourself and get an experience with young people at YMCA.
A very good company
Very happy with this company
Them helped me to do my construction skills courses

Also helped me to do Computer It skills level 1.

The teacher was a very calm guy..

It was a true pleasure to work with this guys day by day for nearly 2 weeks