YMCA Employee Reviews

Found 935 reviews matching the search See all 23,213 reviews
life balance
customer care (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 December 2018
I have worked here for 4 to 5 years at this gym at they worked around my work life and have been grateful for this job with some amazing people over the years I learned so much from this place.
Bad management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  North wales5 December 2018
A terrible place to work. Bad management and bullying took place on a daily basis. No response from higher management when reporting problems. No breaks. I could go on and on and on and on. Steer clear it's awful
Pros
Nothing good
Cons
No help
Good place
Football Coach Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hayes, Greater London5 December 2018
I assisted senior management in the coaching for football and it was good. They communicated with me well and I learned from them quickly. I ALSO WAS A STUDENT AS WELL and this allowed me to balance my schedule
Very good
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands30 November 2018
I enjoyed my time working at the ymca.I spent my time there on the reception desk as well as help organise rooms as well as make coffee and make the store room tidy.
no comment
Training Adviser /Employability Trainer (Former Employee) –  Harlow, Southend, UK29 November 2018
lots of back stabbing and unprofessional managagement
I learnt that all work places are nice
the management were disgraceful and often getting sacked
culture - not nice
hardest part was getting along with staff
enjoyable part was nice clients
Pros
clients
Cons
staff
cliques and hazards.
Play Worker (Former Employee) –  Surrey28 November 2018
I found that I mostly enjoyed this job for the type of job that it was, but when I was there I found that the way it was run didn't suit me,(not to say that now it might be very different).

I also found (not specific to this workplace) that it was very cliquey and if you were in the right clique you did well.

Overall not an environment I liked being in.
Pros
The majority of the children and parents did not have one bad thing to say about the service
Cons
Very Cliquey
great experience
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear28 November 2018
my time at the YMCA charity shop was a good and enjoyable experience. I was working as assistant manager but left due to other commitments within the family.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
travel to long
not positive
Tenancy Sustainment Officer (Former Employee) –  Nottingham City Centre, Nottinghamshire21 November 2018
During my time as a Tenancy sustainment officer I loved the work that I did with the residents and also with my team, they are all a really good bunch of hard working, committed and passionate people.

This however does not outweigh the fact that the organisation and the senior management/management do not know how to treat their staff, they are incredibly under paid and under valued for the work that they do and I would not recommend working here. I feel that you could get the same work experience and none of the above with another local housing service/support service.
Pros
none identified
Cons
senior management
fun work place
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ashington20 November 2018
had fun while the shop was open, would volunteer again as I learnt valuable skills in the short amount of time I volunteered there and these skills have helped me gain a job.
Fun, open and friendly
Property Coordinator/Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Great Yarmouth, Norfolk17 November 2018
Was a place you could enjoy working, learning from others who are all from different walks of life. job was a good learning place and the company supported me throughout
Very Unpredictable
Relief Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Grimsby15 November 2018
Be prepared to deal with residents displaying extreme challenging behaviour,whilst working on your own,this at times can be very stressful and can cause anxiety.
Pros
Can pick and choose hours to work
Cons
Can work long unsociable hours
Fun workplace
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire9 November 2018
I worked for YMCA for nearly 6 years, within the charity shop, my duties included Cleaning, customer service, stock management, labeling of merchandise.
productive
drivers mate, warehouse assistant (Former Employee) –  Consett, Durham7 November 2018
good place to work good set of lads working there pretty easy going on normal average day been there for last 4 years would recommend the shop as can always find good bargains
Pros
flexible
Cons
2 many cheifs
Work Placement
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  North Shields6 November 2018
On a typical day at work I ensure all equipment is clean and safe for customers to use also i give people my attention when they need help with objects in the gym. i learn to adapt to different customers and personalities when i am at work, for example when disabled people use the facilities i make sure i give them the right amount of attention and support they need when using the facilities. i enjoy volunteering at the YMCA as all the staff and customers are friendly and polite which makes me feel comfortable volunteering there.
Pros
Meeting new people
Very good sports facility
Level 1 general gymnastics coach volunteer (Former Employee) –  London4 November 2018
Very kind coaches, local to my house. The kids are very imaginative. The company is successful and makes a lot of profit, kind managers. Good atmosphere, kids want to learn and have lots of fun.
Pros
Kind staff
Cons
I was not paid as I was a volunteer
Fun, positive place to work
Inclusive Lives Coordinator (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 November 2018
The only reason for leaving this job is that my funded contract has come to an end. My line manager has been fantastic and all the staff actually want to work there! The salary is not great but that's not so important when you believe in the work you are doing. The ethos of the organisation is fantastic and they really do try to stick to it, it's just always difficult when you are understaffed (however, this is often the way in the charity sector).

Another thing that makes up for a low salary is the professional development offer. I have been on so many courses from writing funding bids to how to have powerful conversations to how to maintain my integrity at work. I also gained all those little CV boosting qualifications too like first aid and safeguarding.
Pros
A lot of Professional Development courses offered.
voulenter shop assistant
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Penzance31 October 2018
my typical day would consist of working the till and dealing with customers,
checking goods and steam cleaning clothes and pricing items for sale,
checking stock on shop floor that nedded rotating and genral cleanming of shop,
watching shop while manager was out of shop,
helping deliver goods and tacking phone calls
Pros
cheap goods at discount, good socially as like talking with people
Cons
with vou;lintering i was not payed
How i carried out my job on a daily basis
Housing Officer (Current Employee) –  Redhill, Surrey23 October 2018
• Responsible for assisting and guiding young people in the supported living environment, some of which have addiction problems with drugs and alcohol.
• Provide advice on range topics while working on their behalf to further assist them to complete their support and independence plan.
• Promote service user involvement and empowerment while strictly adhering to various YMCA policies and procedures.
• Liaised with colleagues and management alike to devise bespoke support plans to facilitate the independence of youths back into the community.
loved working been twice
Retail Assistant Part Time Volunteering (Former Employee) –  Bridport20 October 2018
great place to volunteer
sorting donations, accurately pricing products and maintaining the quality of stock in shop and on the shelves, ensuring that they were presented neatly and the shop floor was tidy at all times developed excellent communication, customer service and listening skills
Pros
if you work over 4 hours you get bus money back
fun
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Coventry15 October 2018
very fun and educational, learn a lot of new things working for these guys, couldn't knock anything about the company, I enjoyed working for a few weeks for the.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

510.1K