YMCA Employee Reviews

This job is very hard work
Play Worker (Former Employee) –  Dorking15 August 2018
this job is very hard work. It is long hours (7) and you get a very short lunch break (20-30 mins). the staff are not all friendly to other staff and the management is poor. we are always understaffed in certain locations and the people in charge do not seem to care or worry about how the workers are going to have to deal with this. The job itself is hard because you have to take care of an individual who needs a lot of support. You feed them, toilet them, make sure they are clean. the pay is okay at £6 an hour however, for the work I did in each hour I would expect it to be £8-9 an hour minimum.
Pros
rewarding
Cons
long hours, low pay, staff attitude
amazing
Experience (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester26 July 2018
very good place to learn about mechanics if that's the industry you would like to work in also they provide you with every information you require and the teaching is amazing,
Pros
free learning
Cons
teaching
Dealing with rent arrears
Supported Housing Officer (Former Employee) –  London21 July 2018
arranging a meeting with a customers and looking at there financial circumstance and arrange flexible way to pay back the arrears to avoid eviction .
happy work envirnment
Reception duties and customer service (Former Employee) –  Staffordshire19 July 2018
As I only worked their as part of my work experience their isn't much I have to say other than all staff are lovely and you feel very welcome from the moment you get there
It was a productive place
Helped out (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire15 July 2018
I worked in YMCA in which I experienced working long hours. Not only did I gain skills such as developing and producing
tasks to keep kids busy, I also experienced working with different types of individuals especially kids in which some were
very difficult to handle. Although my work experience was only a couple of days, I believe that unlike normal work
experiences where individuals tend to gain a lot of confidence, I have developed intense cooperation, stamina and the
ability to work and deal patiently with all sorts of individuals. I also took part in meeting to help young people with
fitness. I believe that these skills will highly benefit me in any field of work.
Pros
Gained plenty of skills
Perfect summertime job
Wrangler (Former Employee) –  Michican13 July 2018
I loved this job although pros out weighed the cons! Location is beautiful and very fun place to work, fab people and animals! Lots of activities going on, a very diverse role as you are very involved in camp life!
Pros
Horses, colleagues, travel
Cons
Long days and nights, food supplies
good place
Student (Current Employee) –  Maidstone12 July 2018
It is a good and friendly place to work at but not enough hours working. The staff are very approachable and make you feel welcome and helps you get the job done.
Pros
free gym
Cons
not enough hours working
fun work place
Domestic Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Plymouth4 July 2018
I enjoyed working for the YMCA and it advanced me to further my career and now I have my dream job. I would definitely go back to YMCA if a post came available for a position that I am trained in.
Pros
training
Great to work for
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunderland4 July 2018
I worked at two different YMCA charity shops and loved it. I learned a lot of skills to do with team work, retail and how to manage as a team member..
Pros
Worked as a team and in returen i got really good benifits.
Cons
Meet and worked with some great people and YMCA staff alike.
Fun place to work
Outdoor Education Instructor (Former Employee) –  YMCA Lakeside, Lake District2 July 2018
YMCA Lakeside was a fun place to work as you meet a great deal of other like minded people. However, it was managed by a senior leadership team who made us feel like we were replaceable.
Pros
Fun environment
teaching a class
I learnt how to lead a class (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire29 June 2018
it was a friday and they said i could teach a class because i am a fast learner and could manage it , i learned responsiblity, hard work and planning is always best. managment was kind and willing to give me a shot. the workplace culture was great and the hardest part of the job was planning the sessions where as the most enjoyable part was teaching the lessons
Pros
enjoy what you love
Cons
did not get paid
good working with new people
Retail manager (Former Employee) –  Bishop Auckland28 June 2018
my work was a day to day with new volunteers all the time I did all the work training them and showing them there job. running all the finances and paper work. doing all the banking and cash handling. I also did all the health and safety training and fire drills. very easy to get on with and always they to help.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
Fun, hard work, harder management
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire28 June 2018
The Front of house team and customer facing staff are a joy to behold. The organisation from there on up is somewhat of a shambles, and the charity does little to recitfy this.
Pros
Great people, realxed atmosphere
Cons
Weird HR decisions
ymca
Weekend Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Rugeley, Staffordshire28 June 2018
working there was good for me i learnt alot more about myself while there and also carried out dutys that i never thought i would be able to do so overall i was happy with the job
Absolute nightmare!
Domestic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Great Yarmouth, Norfolk27 June 2018
I worked there for a few months in 2017. Job itself was hard work but good. 90% of the people were sadly not! Too much Political Correctness & Left-wing employees, many 'clients' destroyed the building, took illegal substances, had no respect & were totally nasty!

If you aired your opinion, you were ostracised for it! & any concerns fell on deaf ears. They just treat you like rubbish !
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Too much politics & lack of respect.
Senior Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, Cumbria20 June 2018
This was a good place to work as the manager did not breathe down my neck all the time, he allowed us to get on with the work, this helped me to gain skills in supervisory roles.
Cons
Limited hours
Was a volunteer
Volunteer Roles - Retail Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridlington14 June 2018
worked as a volunteer there, working on the tills and doing other jobs as it was needed and taking booking picking stuff up as well. Plus cleaning and moving stuff around as well that was for sell
A productive workplace
Part-Time Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford11 June 2018
I put the clothes on hangers and displayed them on the clothes railing. I kept an inventory of the household items that were sold or needed to be sold.
Pros
Free lunch break, Start and finish at any time, radio FM was switched on all the time
Cons
N/a
Workplace
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire2 June 2018
Good enjoyed very interested got to kno new people learned how to price and tag clothing staff was amazing didn’t last very long as it was closed down unfortunately I really did enjoy my time there
Productive and fun environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Plymouth31 May 2018
This shop gave me the confidence to grow as a person and as a customer sales assistant. I loved helping and assisting the customers whilst also growing in experience of sales and customer service.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

59.6K