Yell Employee Reviews

Can be a good place to work, good management and support
Digital Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham1 February 2019
It can be great, depends on your manager but i personally was supported and trained well. I learned the basic of digital marketing. The work culture is very target driven. There is ups and down but that is normal. As long as you put in maximum effort the Yell are willing to work and support you. If you want to "cruise" you won't last long at all. The hardest part of the day is when an client has cancelled their product and it comes of your figures. I enjoyed the rewards bonuses and incentives.
Pros
Bonus, prizes parties
Great Atmosphere & Progression
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire4 September 2018
I love working for Yell. It was really important to me to find a company where I had a number of career progression opportunities and the support to develop my skillset. I found all of this at Yell and have had a chance to really thrive through my progression over the years.
Yell has a number of programmes and resources to upskill their people but there are also lots of job opportunities around the business too. I have always felt supported by my manager and the senior management team when it comes to progression and gaining the experience that I'm looking for. Yell have always done their upmost to support me with my goals and continue to check in to make sure I'm happy and fulfilled in the role.
The people who work here are also some of the best people I've ever worked with. Everyone is passionate and driven in making Yell as successful as possible. It's rare to find such positive energy from so many people!
Pros
Career progression, great atmosphere and lots of support
Cons
Fast-paced change given the digital nature of the business
Brilliant place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 October 2018
Yell is the best place I've ever worked for. Its the first place I've been in that if you work hard you will reap the rewards. Each role is demanding but so it should be, it allows you to stretch yourself, learn constantly and grow. Lots of opportunity for promotions too as most are always internal.
Pros
The people and bonuses
Cons
going back to secondment contracts when promoted into a new role
Exceptional People - Exceptional Company
Telesales Executive (for most of my time here) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands2 May 2018
I've worked for Yell for 10+ years, and it's been a constant in my life that has seen me through buying my first home, marriage, and two children.
The salary and rewards have allowed me a moderately luxury lifestyle, many holidays, and the ability to work from home for a high percentage of the time - therefore giving me an excellent worklife balance too.
it's not without it's challenges, of course, I work hard and the pressure is always on - but hey, I was in sales, so it's to be expected.
I'd describe it as a place of healthy competition from other driven individuals, and if you surround yourself with others motivated to succeed, it's very very contagious!
I now work in the corporate side of the business, and I feel as though I'm developing my career even further, and learning so much more about the company with different challenges, but still the same great environment.
Pros
Rewards, Recognition, Awards, Development
Cons
Can be pressured (might be a con for some)
Wouldn't recommend as a place to work
Digital Account Manager (Former Employee) –  England6 February 2018
Yell offer a great basic salary and benefits however the perks end there. They are a huge company who only care about the bottom line. If you want to look after & grow an existing client base this is not the place for you. With their products and programmes built overseas it makes it very difficult to keep customers happy. You spend too much time trying to mop up other peoples mistakes or sloppy work which means you do not have enough hours in the day to achieve stretched sales targets. Work life balance is something they say you have here, but its not. If you want to work until the early hours every day then this is the place for you.
Pros
Salary, Car
Cons
Poor customer service, products produced overseas, poor management, stretched targets
Not a healthy place to work
Digital Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Home Based15 February 2019
I would like to say great things about Yell, however there seems to be a directive from the senior management team downwards that every single employee needs to be micromanaged to the point they leave the business or at least want to.
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention
Amazing place to work
Digital Talent and Development Content Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Reading23 April 2018
Amazing place to work - everyone is so kind and nothing is too much trouble. Great employee culture and work/life balance. It's an enjoyable place to work and I never had that dreaded Monday morning feeling.
Not a lot of progression
Customer Service Executive (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 January 2018
If you not working in sales then its difficult to progress or make a decent salary. The work life balance is ok and so is the job security if you working in customer service role. Management can be improved.
New team for new technology
Business analyst (Former Employee) –  Reading4 October 2018
It was a long time ago and I worked there for a short time so no real memories.

I worked in the newly established help desk for customers using the new Internet based Yellow Pages. What I do remember was how myself colleagues were often asked to be quieter despite the fact that we were on a customer call centre.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Poor work environment
The click
Senior Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Belfast30 September 2018
You could work in yell 2 weeks or 2 years but the place has a click and your treated as an outsider. They don't support staff and the managers care more about there appearance than there staff. Not a great place to work.
Very Demanding Job
Digital Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham26 August 2018
Very demanding job, at times you almosy feel unsecure when you dont meet targets. You will basically become a robot. Very good opportunities to learn new marketing and sales skills, however level of coaching is very limited.
Pros
Good Bonuses
Cons
Targets hard to meet
High levels of stress, some excellent management
Sales/marketing consultant Yell (Current Employee) –  Belfast, NIR17 January 2014
I have learned a huge amount at Yell and thoroughly enjoyed increasing my sales and conflict management skills. Huge amount of customer service skills required which suited me down to the ground. There was unfortunately not much of a work life balance, as a mother i would like to be able to spend more time with my family which is why i now want to work less hours: the company has roled out that we will not be able to work less than 40 hrs a week
Digital Marketing Executive (Current Employee) –  Scarborough3 May 2017
Yell is a great place to work, especially if you are just starting a career in digital marketing. Yell has given me mass amounts of knowledge in the digital area and has helped me grow my career from content writing throught to analysing websites and building PPC campaigns. I scored Job security a three and that is because I have seen a number of redundancys during my time here althouth that goes hand in hand with the digital world everchanging. The hardest part of the job is targets, I believe that quality and quantity clashes. I would recommend Yell as a place to work and grow your career.
Pros
Free coffee, Cake
Cons
Behind on trends
Prepare to sell your soul
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Kent20 July 2017
I worked here for two years and unless you have the skin of a rhino I would avoid at all costs.
The turnover is pretty high and the amount of people who go off work due to stress is concerning.
Yes you can earn some good money here but sometimes you might have to put your conscience to one side if you want to consistently hit your targets. Which if you don't, the pressure will be crazy.
Pros
car, salary, commission
Cons
high pressure, customers are treated like a cash cow to milk
Excellent place to work, Professional Attitude
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 May 2013
My time at Yell was fantastic. A typical day at work would be very work focused and busy so the time always passed quickly. I learned about a market I had previously had no experience in and also a new set of skills with regards to how I approach my work and my work ethic. I knew a lot of my Co workers whom I previously worked with on a different Position in the past so it was like a big family to me as I made a lot of new friends and colleagues whom i have the highest regard for. The hardest part of the job was that everything would change on a weekly or even daily basis due to the advertising industry changing and Yell's close relationship with Google. I do mean this when I say it, the most enjoyable part of the job was being part of Yell and being there every day. It honestly was fantastic!
Pros
Paid day out and staff awards every quarter. Prizes to be won
Cons
Long hours (but worth it)
Yell
Deputy Manager, Copywriter, Web & Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire12 October 2017
Excellent working culture. A true joy to reform ways of working with people to increase company profits and customer satisfaction. The strongest community experience I have known in a place of work.
Pros
Free coffee
Family atmosphere
SAP Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire2 August 2017
Good team ethos and support from management. Communication on company strategies and decisions is excellent. Received training in customer service, debt collection, data analysis, sql programming, project management and line management. Good basics to take forward into any role.
Pros
Good team of professional hard working people.
Cons
Can be insular.
Tough with good rewards
Tele Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow27 August 2014
Fast paced environment, expect to be worked hard with little praise. Rewards and perks are good
Pros
working hours and bonus
Cons
Targets can be very difficult
Productive workplace
Website Product Support - Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Reading30 March 2016
I've worked at Yell for nearly 5 years now and have enjoyed every minute of it and the opportunities that have been presented to me. The company is forever evolving with new products, making it an exciting place to work. I've learned a lot working here and Yell has provided me with knowledge and skills to last me a lifetime, skills that I hope have set me up for bigger and better opportunities in the future.
Pros
Excellent workforce of colleagues
Cons
Job Security, Pay
Abysmal
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Sale, Greater Manchester18 August 2017
Leads given to the Telesales team were of such poor quality they are unconvertible. Data given to the teams is of very poor quality.
Work life balance only available for those who have children.
Pros
Training
Cons
Unfair Treatment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yell. Our community is ready to answer.