Yates Employee Reviews

reminiscent of excrement
Barmaid (Former Employee) –  Park Street29 November 2017
Working for Yates was horrible as I will list:
working 9pm-4am but not getting paid for an hour as they clock you out
no social life due to the hours you work every weekend
always tired
bully staff
give you shifts on how much they like you
Pros
none - just run for the hills :)
Cons
Low pay, zero hour contract, no job security
Could be better
Kitchen Team Leader/Head Chef (Current Employee) –  Stafford17 November 2017
Could be better. Management are not the best they could be. Very unprofessional. No job security. Low pay. No recognition for a job well done. Basically a joke.
Cons
Long hours. No recognition for job well done.
Okay for younger age
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Tamworth14 August 2017
This job was good and gave me lots of confidence due to working with customers on a daily basis. The staff and customers were all friendly and it was a very demanding role.
Draining
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Manchester Piccadilly27 July 2017
Usual night started work at 6, wouldn't finish until 5am and only got a 20 minute break. Always felt under staffed. There was a lot of pressure being behind the bar when understaffed. Wages are poor and very long unsociable hours.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Long hours, short breaks
Unenjoyable
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire10 July 2017
Not a good place to work. On multiple occasions myself and sometimes only one or two other members of staff were available to serve and deal with over a hundred customers on busy nights whilst management chatted. A lot of customer complaints went ignored. In one incident a member of staff and customers were sexually harassed and when reported to management they did not act upon it and allowed the customer to stay in the premises to continue his behaviour.
Cons
Incompetent management
Happy work place
Glass Collector (Former Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire26 June 2017
I worked as a glass collector in Yates and it was a funny and happy place to work. The team I used to work with was like my second family. It was a busy yet fun place to work.
Cons
Late nights
Very good place to work at the time
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Nuneaton, Warwickshire19 June 2017
Start of well for couple of years, meau was good until they start competing with different companies and then standered went down. Was a good team of staff but to many bosses and to many changes.
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Food change
Was a fun place to work for the year.
Part-time Bartender (Former Employee) –  Leeds17 June 2017
The management could have initially been friendlier, though they were replaced with nicer individuals who made significant effort to ensure a happy working environment.
Pros
Holiday Pay
Cons
Balancing Uni work and Shifts
Fun workplace
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Watford12 April 2017
I enjoyed socialising with the customers and other staff members, however it is not the area I wish to pursue, although it did allow me to have some money to myself.
Productive and fun workplace
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Bedfordshire22 February 2017
Have learned a lot, possibility to grow.
Management is really good - helpful.
Great night-time and weekday venue which always creates a great atmosphere. You’ll find every Yates serving fantastic food and drink, in a buzzy and exciting environment, throughout the week, all day long!
Productive and Enjoyab;e
General Manager (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire15 February 2017
I enjoyed my time as a General Manager and was in charge of a major refurbishment and brand change during my employment. I enjoyed working and training team members and watched them exceed all expectations.
was a fun first job
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow9 February 2017
it was a good place to work, i learned a lot from serving, table serving, bio-hazard cleaning and till work.
i enjoyed serving drinks at the bar.
Pros
place has changed ownership
Brilliant, vibrant work place
Deputy manager (Former Employee) –  Bolton, UK6 February 2017
A typical day included opening or closing learning how to run the various departments. The management team were good and easy to work with and taught me well. The hardest part of the job was the late hours the most enjoyable part was getting to know people.
Pros
Discount food
Cons
Rude customers
Absolutely horrible
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 February 2017
Really really unfair shift patterns and no life outside of work, i didn't have time to eat or sleep, on multiple occasions did double shifts on 3 hours sleep and no food....all this for minimum wage
Pros
Supportive colleagues
Cons
Long hours and unfair shift patterns
fun to work
Bar/Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Skegness17 November 2016
A great place to work. i learned a great deal of knowledge. made to feel very comfortable an taught me my kitchen qualification.
Was not great
Bar staff, waitress and a cleaner (Former Employee) –  Manchester15 September 2016
I loved being at work with the bar staff I used to work with, it was fun. I learned so much I learned all abut different wines, spirits, ales and ciders. the hardest part of the job was walking 5 mils to get to work as the company never paid me what I worked hard for. the most enjoyable part was on a busy day
Pros
10 mins break in between a couple of hours
Cons
never get paid
Busy Workplace
Bar Staff and Waitress (Current Employee) –  Weymouth13 July 2016
A typical work day would either be rather busy, steady or very few people in the builiding. When it is busy, we are shown as under-staffed as there aren't enough hands to keep on top of everything. When it is steady, two people as per shift seem to manage perfectly, and when there is hardly any people in the building, there are miniuture jobs that are done, such as cleaning and getting back on top of everything that wasn't done the day before. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unsatisified customers, and the most enjoyable part of the job was having a positive comment from the customer on your work ethic.
Pros
Gain Experience
Cons
Long Hours
Enjoyable
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Southampton22 May 2016
I loved meeting new and regular customers, I enjoy talking to people and making the most out of my job. Everyday was different, I had a versatile job allowing me to work on the bar and in the kitchen.

I learned cash and card transaction, how to make cocktails, use a coffee machine, take orders and take them out.

Overall I enjoyed the job, it was fun. I got on with the team and management. I enjoy serving customers as well as talking to them. I loved working in a pub.
Pros
Meeting people
Fun Workplace
Bartender/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth22 March 2016
the typical working day at yates was always different, always different customers who make the day go easy. i learned to work to my highest ability within a team and that the more you get involved the more you help out. Management at yates was top notch, not like some companies where management would look down on you, they stayed on your level but would ALWAYS be there when you needed to ask questions or needed a helping hand. My co workers are what made my job, the team i worked in were like no other, brilliant people always smiling and happy to help. At times the customers would get drunk and wouldn't take no for an answer, this for me was the hardest part of the role due to always wanting to keep the customer happy, but if that means not applying the correct laws and regulations then you need to stay stern and calm. Last but not least the most enjoyable part of my job was working the busy weekend shifts! it could be tiresome at times but this was when the team really pulled together and made it worth working! all in all yates is a great place to work!
Pros
25% discount
Cons
basic wage
Worst place to work. PERIOD
Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Bangor, NIR28 January 2016
Where to start; apart from being a pure labour-based company there is no benefits unless you are a GM. I was KM for a year and received 0 benefits and did not recieve the proper pay I was entitled to.

The management are only interested in one thing and one thing only; sales. If you dont make sales = disciplinary. They reel you in with words such as 'staff incentives' and 'prove yourself to earn rewards' yet when you achieve a 5/5 EHO + NSF rating they then make more excuses. Between getting threatened to have your hours cut if you didn't do as they said or if you even asked about a pay rise, there is no team work in Stonegate Pubs as all they are focused on is figures not how the team is doing or how rubbishly they are being paid.

DO NOT go for this company under any circumstances. The ONLY positive is the people and that is not representative of the company. The reason Stonegate Pubs is doing so well on the stock market/growth YOY is because they make savings on labour and force people into poverty for the sake of showing a 1% growth YOY to investors. Worst place i've ever had the displeasure of working for.
Pros
People