Yankee Candle Company

Yankee Candle Company Employee Reviews

United Kingdom63 reviews
Very boring, staff were on their phones at the till, didn't learn much and it was incredibly slow-moving. Not many customers, fewer sales. I didn't feel very include.
I only worked there for Christmas and I really enjoyed working there, although at times it was stressful with a lot of customers due to the busy period, most of the time it was a relaxed atmosphere and everyone got along
Just a stockroom job moving jars from one shelf to another. People are great. Never dealt with customers so I wouldn't know. Not enough hours given to staff also their payslip service doesn't work
I worked here as a temp agency worker and there is not one negative thing I can say about this company. Fantastic employees, management, really enjoyed learning all different aspects of the workload. Shame not offering contracts.
The job was easy enough but the staff constantly competing with each other and management encourage poor working relationships but worse of all the place was overrun by one type of ethnicity and you end up feeling pushed out of tasks because of ethnic grouping problems which made the job hard at the best of times
Nice store but not a good company to work for, poor management, no contract was signed when hiring. No ID was asked to be shown at the interview. Was also told to not to come back to work and no notice was given, VERY UNPROFESSIONAL.
Everyday throught a year is different as bussiness orientates sales around callendar events. Somedays people would find boring but most times it's very busy work envoierment. Christmas obviously is bussiest and company would employ loads of people at the end of the summer and then let them all go around the end of the year which often leads to dissapointments in let go staff. Menagement is professional and supportive, HR dep is very helpful and company policy praises internal advancement which for some is a life changer.

Overall impression is that YC is one of the better companies around to proceed career with.
nice good work place with good wages
typical warehouse operative but with very nice smell of candles

good nice staff

…………………………………………………………………………...
The manager are rude and they expect you do everything they rush to you to finish jobs,they do not care if you have kid or if there is a family emergency,they do not give enough hours they want everyone to start early an finish late do not give break or lunch on time sometimes you have to work throw lunch.it one rule for one person and another rule for someone else.
Pros
Cons
Long hours rude manager
fun staff to work with unorganized management at times which are a bit too reliant on the sales consultants at times which allows the pressure to mount.
Typical day included till work, customer interaction, display arrangements and stock and storage work.
Management was lovely and the working environment was great.

Hardest part of the job was encouraging upselling to customers.

The most enjoyable part of the job was till work.
Pros
Great Discounts
Cons
Long Standing Hours
Loved working here for over 2.5 years. The managers were wonderful, as was the rest of the team and grew to love them all. The job was minimum wage but the job wasn't too demanding too often so could be justified. The downfall of this company was the owners. Treat staff as though they are disposal, never gave us any stock so the shop looked horrendous, and we couldn't provide customers with the items they wanted, making us look bad. Pay was often not on time, and they only replied to us when they wanted something and always ignored our requests. It is a shame they are ruining the Yankee Candle name.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Awful owners
Great place to work, been here 8 months and the management are understanding and the staff are great to work with would highly recommend. Lots to do in a day keeps you on your toes and busy.
Pros
Competitions, management, work/life balance
Cons
Minimum wage
Great place to work with very intresting people. Well organised warehouse which helped me to understand how all warehouses work. Great adventure......
Overall a good organisation to work for. No one day was the same, the business was extremely dynamic and responsive to the various challenges set internally and externally.
The key learning was that to be effective you needed to be flexible.
A very nice workplace in my opinion, always tidy and smelling nice. I learned a lot about candles and perfumes. staff and management were always nice and honest, we were all helping each others.
The Environment being nice and calm, made work fun, productive yet very chilled, and having that atmosphere motivates you to work and work to a high standard at all times.

The staff were great as the shop was small there was only around 10 of us so we became like a small family which also helps whilst working if everyone gets along with eachother.
Worked for Yankee candle on a temporary basis.
The night shift can be long the wages are very reasonable.

Work can be boring but it pays the bills.

I found the management to be reasonable if you work hard no problem.

They seem to look after their regular workers.

The work place is fine I personally found the staff to be friendly.

If you have a problem with your wages it gets sorted very quickly.
Pros
Long night shift
Cons
Reasonable wages, friendly staff
This was my first job and i loved working for the company and with my colleagues, some of which have become lifelong friends. There was a small customer base so you got to know the regulars and were able to connect and chat with them easily.
As a key holder position my duty would be to open and close the store and declaring float and banking cash for the daily sales. Also, as a part of my day would be making a deployment plan so that all members of staff are aware of what and where they should be in the store and doing what. E.g. replenishing, welcoming customers, serving customers on the tills, dealing with delivery and staying on the shop floor to help customers. As this was my first position as a part of the management team I learnt a lot, learning how to cash up, fill banking slips, ordering change which enabled me to take on a lot of responsibility and proving that I am capable of completing all the duties that are required by me. The management in my store was good as we were all treated equally. Also, the store I working in was a pop up store and all the staff was new, it was a great experience as i was able to go through all of the stages of opening and closing a store down.
The hardest part of the job would be having less employees, and having to work a lot more hours than stated in my contract as we had to cover for the positions we had available. Also, we had a lot of deliveries coming in with very small stock room and it was hard to fit in everything.

A good part of the job was the amount of staff discount we would get and the appreciation of working over christmas by receiving a free advent calendar and chocolates.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Long hours and Heavy boxes
Working at Yankee Candle, York Designer Outlet store, as a Sales assistant. This job taught me to always put the customer first, for instance, always addressing them and asking if they need help with anything so that they feel as if you're an approachable person. As well as this, ensuring that all problems and queries are dealt with in a calm manner. This job Involves being aware of your surroundings to ensure that no problems occur and that every job what needs doing gets done effectively which is also pushed by management.
The most enjoyable part of this position was seeing how satisfied customers are with their shopping experience.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yankee Candle Company. Our community is ready to answer.
Yankee Candle Company Reviews by Location