Wye Valley NHS Trust Pay & Benefits reviews

Great place to work and learn
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hereford3 April 2018
After working here for some time, this trust gives you some really good benefits and learning opportunities. Especially for those wanting to undertake further learning into Nursing and other healthcare roles. Typical day at work for a HCA involves assisting patients with all daily living activities, such as washing and dressing. I help at meal times to those who need extra help with eating their food, for example patients with severe learning disabilities or dementia. I assist patients with their mobility, for those who need extra assistance with walking frames and other mobility aids. I help with toileting, whether it is walking with a patient to the bathroom or assist in transferring them to a commode or bedpan. On many occasions during the day I am responsible for keeping the ward and patient bed areas clean and tidy. This involves making beds neatly and sterilising equipment regularly, such as beds, lockers, tables, etc., along with other equipment such as observation and ECG machines that may have been used. Throughout day and night shifts, I regularly have to perform observations on all patients; this includes taking blood pressure, temperature, recording respiration, oxygen levels, heart rate and blood sugar. I am also responsible for maintaining the best possible pressure area care for patients who are unable to move around independently. I am responsible for documenting all tasks that I perform throughout the day in patient’s notes and informing my colleagues about any matters I am concerned about or if I have any questions to ask.
The hardest part of the job, is
  more... moving patients to other wards, and trying to keep on top of a lot of jobs at once and prioritising everything. But if you keep a calm approach, even the hardest parts of the day can be enjoyable, especially when you have a good team of staff around you to help at any time.  less
Pros
team work
Cons
A good step up and experience
HCA (Current Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire12 July 2017
Often short staffed but great colleagues to work with, good experience and opportunities to develope further in your roll, expect to be on your feet all day and invest in some good shoes!!