Here to help: Coronavirus update

WSP Employee Reviews

United Kingdom43 reviews
Not Applicable
There is no such speciifc information i can provide like day to day work experience and other daily routines and work culture, salary and other benefits etc.
Excellent
Brilliant Company to work for, god benefit system for employees.

Office had ample and free parking, Staff in the office were very professional and friendly.
Generally a great place to work
I have had a great time working for WSP in there various disguises over the years. Unfortunately utilisation is down and at the time of writing this review my job has been put at risk.
Lions led by...
The colleagues were great to work with. Friendly and helpful but the management structure leaves a lot to be desired with a willingness to cut corners to meet promises to the board rather than do things properly and have to explain that to the powers that be were shocking. This didn't extend to health and safety but contractually it left the company exposed to financial risk.
Excelente ambiente y muy buena empresa para trabajar
Llevo 5 anos trabajadndo con ellos y estoy muy agusto. Excelente empresa para desarrollarse como ingeniero.
Good flexible working - terrible management
The pros: working from home, flexible working.

The cons: the company grew too quickly from 2017, they offshored most of the support services, IT is a joke. The management structure is poor and not diverse. They tend to turn the other way rather than deal with problematic staff. They also don’t adhere to their own processes.
Excellent Job
Fast-paced but the work flows with that allowing to make it fun. I learned a lot, even more about the speciality I was doing. The culture in the workplace is very laidback while also still being very corporate.
Consulting engineer multidisciplinary multinational
Working on a term contract for local government so affected by contract particulars and not necessarily part of regular mainstream business but occasionally invited to head office for corporate update
Satisfying work
WSP listen to your needs. They are fairly organized and have an ethical outlook towards their employees. I really enjoy my work with them. I enjoy the autonomy whilst I am working.
Lack of training
I started as an apprentice, there was no training, I was left on my own for hours on end and when I did get work there was no challenge, they struggled for work for me.
Varies a lot from team to team
I have experience of working in several teams at wsp. Some have a relaxed management style and trust you to get on with your work with minimal supervision. Others are very corporate and constantly on your back about the smallest thing.

There are opportunities for progression if you put in the work and you're prepared to go above and beyond your job description consistently for 1-2 years.
People great, senior management variable
Mainly good, elements of ruthlessness about their approach.
Profit orientated diverse skill base trying to act together.

Lots of potential for the right person.
A great environment to work in with a very friendly and inviting culture.

Overall a great place to work.

Great benefits and your efforts are rewarded. Great team-building activities such as go-karting, cinema and food days out.

Work hard and get rewarded for it also.
good job
Internal communications not strong, hard to find the right person to talk to when working on a project. Good environment and supportive of staff. On balance a good place to work
High profiles Jobs
Lots of opportunity to work on some the highest profile projects in the UK like High Speed 2 rails links and stations, also an international company with high profile projects all over the world
Supportive and productive environment
The Company changed ownership many times during my employment. This gave me lots of opportunities for progression and make improvements.

I was made redundant after 24 years due to centralization of HR function.

I was always supported by my colleagues and management
Pros
Opportunities and ability to influence change
Cons
Growth of Company and offshoring of functions reduced opportunities
productive and fun experience
Management treated everyone excellently and they offered excellent training. Was given little notice to the termination of the work contract but were paid for the rest of the week.
Pros
Great salary
good for experience
Gained a lot of useful experience as an undergraduate engineer.
Greatly improved on my AutoCAD skills

There could have been more undergraduates within the company.
Pros
pay
Cons
left to work independently
Recruitment Company - Not An Engineering Company
As a Graduate Mechanical Engineer you will more than likely be seconded to Transport for Greater Manchester or Network Rail. In the first year you will do minor admin tasks and write meeting minutes. Eventually you will ask to leave one of these client offices (having been driven nuts) and will ask for a role in design. One year later, or less in many cases you will leave. Avoid if you can, even if the pay is a few grand more than other jobs.
Pros
Recruit friendly Graduates
Cons
Management don't care, WSP aren't too fussed about retention of staff, Development opportunities are few and far between.
dissapointing for such a big company
Cannot retain staff especially in Edinburgh. Morale is very low when you talk to people from all disciplines in the office. Development Infrastructure seems to be the worst just now for keeping staff and nobody seems to like there director. Had high hopes when i joined this company 18 month ago but unfortunately im now looking for a move. I would not recommend joining WSP Edinburgh.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
cannot keep staff happy
Great team of people sometimes undermined by constant aquisitions and integrations.
My team was a hard working and outgoing. There was a tendency to bring in managers from outside as opposed to developing people internally, with junior staff often helping train these new managers on our internal systems.
Pros
Job security, young social team
Cons
Excessive travel, constant aquisitions and disorganised integrations