Wood Employee Reviews

Professional and caring company
PA to Head of Group Assurance (Former Employee) –  London and Knutsford1 May 2018
A busy office environment but with friendly and helpful work colleagues. I have been very privileged to work in various departments in the corporate office and have learnt numerous skills along the way.
Pros
Excellent opportunities in-house
Cons
Mergers and change of management
Great
scaffolder (Current Employee) –  Saint Fergus14 April 2018
Very good place to work and learn new things. Good wage plenty of overtime and also pay travel money. Plenty of training opportunities. Would highly recommend woodgroup to anyone.
Pros
Lots
Offshore working
Site Lifting Focal Point (Former Employee) –  Offshore - North sea7 March 2018
Having spent the best part of 10 - 12 years working offshore, i can say that Wood were probably the best company i worked for. No issues with training requirements, assistance if required and feedback for questions asked. A very enjoyable time at Wood.
A good place to work, fun, productive and enjoyable
Fire SENTRY (Former Employee) –  Rosyth7 March 2018
A good place to work with no two days being the same. A typical day starts with permits and ends with permits being signed off. Management provided good leadership and information, and were also good listeners to any health and safety concerns. The work place was one of fellowship plus hard work. Good team efforts were a must with everyone pulling their weight. The hardest part of the job was the access at times with great care having to be taken due to hot work. The most enjoyable part of the work was seeing a job well done and the people I worked with.
Pros
Training and support
Cons
Cons long travelling which you got used too.
Talent and opportunity squandered
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City1 March 2018
This was a good company for a time but too much infighting in recent years has ruined the workplace culture.

In 2017 the CEO got a 25% salary uplift while enforcing redundancies. Tells you all you need to know really.
Pros
access to large projects
Cons
poor management, not a people company
productive and worked on a timescale
PAINT SUPERVISOR/INDUSTRIAL PAINTER (Former Employee) –  Rosyth, Fife/portsmouth15 February 2018
as a supervisor had to do daily work sheets for my work force and timesheets attend meetings and worked with other supervisors to sort jobs out and learned a lot after i was made up to supervisor
Pros
worked for company just under 6 yrs
Very fair
Materials Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen22 January 2018
Wood Group were a great company to work for I would have still been there today if not for redundancy and the downturn in the oil industry.
They were flexible with me and communication within the company was second to none I would recommend them as an employer to anyone
Pros
No one bothers you
Integrity management engineer
Integrity engineer (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen15 January 2018
In good old times, when there was plenty of work and rates were high, this company hired too many folks, a lot of them with no degrees/qualifications and competence. During difficult times, a lot of folks had to go, but chosing leavers wasn't always fair (competency/qualifications based), with a lot of politics involved.
There's little, if any, focus on training and career development of engineers, and there're too many (often incompetent!) managers, who think they can add value to the projects.
Rates are high and budgets are not realistic, hence low rate of winning new projects.
If you are a yes man, you'll be fine. If you are a person with your own opinion, you are likely to end up in a bad book.
Pros
Nice office, very good HR, flexible working hours
Cons
Poor (and top heavy) management, no team spirit, poor morale
It’s an ok place to work apart from the supervisors attitude to operatives
Advanced Scaffolder (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh15 January 2018
Erecting and dismantling all aspects of scaffolding,as a charge hand you’re expected to deal with squads off men and customers,the wages aren’t the best but as a secure job it’s as secure as you’ll get.
Safe work environment
Scaffold Encapsulation (Former Employee) –  Rosyth10 January 2018
Wood group is a multi faceted, multi skilled company based around oil & gas, marine & renewable energy sectors. It is regularly re-assesing it's safety record and trying to improve. Like many work places in this sector, a project may have a huge work load or very sporadic come the end of a contract.
Fun place to work if you work with good people
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Rosyth, Fife28 December 2017
I believe that this Place would be a lot better if the Place wasn't run burn corrupt managers, very high health and safety standards, security guard think they are the police, lunch hours and smoke break times are to short
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bad management
Efficient
Rigger/Scaffold Inspector (Former Employee) –  Africa11 December 2017
I have worked all over the world for Wood Group for over 20 years. Excellent Companay with excellent career prospects. Very sad to leave, but they only let me go due to budget restrictions. They have given me excellent references.
Pros
Training
Marine Control Room Operator
Marine Control Room Operator (Former Employee) –  Buchan Alpha6 December 2017
Responsible for all ballasting operations, Monitor all alarms and radios and report any defects to relevant departments. Liase with Marine Supervisor and OIM as and when required.
Professional Culture
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kuwait4 December 2017
Professional culture maintained in the working environment. we are free to do our daily basis activities.we can gain our technical and professional knowledge from the senior persons. Company more concern about the Health & Safety and Quality standards.
Good place to work.
Painter (Former Employee) –  Rosyth, Fife29 October 2017
Contract work in the industrial painting industry. Working alongside the customer to ensure that the job is carried out safely and to the best possible standard
Pros
Overtime most weekends.
Great workforce, horrendous management.
Vacuum blaster (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon23 October 2017
The work force within wood group is amazing, great lads and a fun place to work. The management is a joke, the pay was always wrong eg. Wouldn’t pay the correct overtime that had been worked and would spend a week chasing owed monies. If there was no work on you are expected to use your own yearly holiday or risk losing a days pay. I spent more time on holiday through lack of work then i did at work. I would not recommend working here to anybody.
Pros
Good work force
Cons
Rubbish pay, chasing wages, having to use own holiday because of lack of work.
Rewarding work.
Industrial Painter (Former Employee) –  Scotland22 September 2017
Working on the new air craft carriers project. Work was undertaken in a safe manner without too much push from management. A fair days work was expected for a fair days pay and most of the workers performed very well.
Pros
Close to home and very well paid.
Cons
Dirty job, but I didn't mind.
very nice organization
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey20 September 2017
A very nice company to work with.
Very friendly management
has several initiatives to help employees
flexi timings are offered and they have something called Alternate Working Weekend where by you take a friday off each month by working extra 2 hrs a week
Pros
flexi time, friendly bosses
Cons
nothing really
Strategic Consulting Project Facilitator (Former Employee) –  UK11 September 2017
I and my Team learned alot whileworkingfor this company. Helped us grow as a team and as individuals and gave us a real world view of the oil and gas industry.
Good
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Rosyth, Fife6 September 2017
Good job and very good work place the management is very good along with supervisors only bad part about jon was stairs onto the boat apart from that it was a good job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wood. Our community is ready to answer.