Wood Group Employee Reviews

Productive but "focus on people" is only on paper.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Woking, Surrey25 October 2018
"Focus on people" is not the reality, but only on paper as one of company's core values. Favouritism is so high among the managers. Engineering qualification and skills are not important at all but is the communication skill to be promoted or retained your job. So you're in good hands if you talk a lot, but you will be left behind if you are not. There is very little or no development training is given at all. Good place to work if you are a contractor employee (salary rate is above industry or higher than other service companies) but not ideal if you are a staff employee as you will have very little or no career development and salary is very low.
Pros
Cons
There is too much favouritism.
Hard working place
Material Controller (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City15 November 2018
Busy, fast pace.
Chance to learn news skills.
During TAR period extended hours including weekends.
Culture - Good management meetings held regularly and a chance to ask questions.
Pros
Part of a team
Cons
Can be long hours in the office
Integrity management engineer
Integrity engineer (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen15 January 2018
In good old times, when there was plenty of work and rates were high, this company hired too many folks, a lot of them with no degrees/qualifications and competence. During difficult times, a lot of folks had to go, but chosing leavers wasn't always fair (competency/qualifications based), with a lot of politics involved.
There's little, if any, focus on training and career development of engineers, and there're too many (often incompetent!) managers, who think they can add value to the projects.
Rates are high and budgets are not realistic, hence low rate of winning new projects.
If you are a yes man, you'll be fine. If you are a person with your own opinion, you are likely to end up in a bad book.
Pros
Nice office, very good HR, flexible working hours
Cons
Poor (and top heavy) management, no team spirit, poor morale
No job security.
Mechanical (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen25 September 2018
Wood Group are very keen to offer short term contracts often on a trip by trip basis. Personnel often find that they are paid off when they leave the platforms for their field break. Only to be sitting in the house three weeks later hoping and praying that they might get a phone call to mobilise the following day.
Pros
Free helicopter rides
Cons
Zero job security
Example of typical day of work
Senior Closeout Engineer (Former Employee) –  Altens Aberdeen10 June 2018
Co-ordinate Closeout
(Responsibilities included)
Closeout all Workpacks for the Project within KPI dates,
Work in accordance with the Project Closeout Procedures
Co-ordinate and update all Project PID,s sent in from Offshore
Liaising with Project team and Co-ordinate the update of the following
Asbuilding all Client Documents for the Project
Co-ordinate updates are in Maximo (Tag/Maintenance Management Register)
Ensuring work is estimated/monitored and all relevant timesheet codes Are allocated accordingly for the above.
Pros
Completing work to help Client
Talent and opportunity squandered
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City1 March 2018
This was a good company for a time but too much infighting in recent years has ruined the workplace culture.

In 2017 the CEO got a 25% salary uplift while enforcing redundancies. Tells you all you need to know really.
Pros
access to large projects
Cons
poor management, not a people company
Senior E&I Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, UK16 December 2018
Very good place to work, with good management and workmates.
Very good new office in Aberdeen, great for parking and good restaurant on site, with good food.
Nice Place Low Salaries
Senior Structural Designer (Current Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames9 October 2018
worked at woodgroup for years. its a nice place to work but low salaries. Happy to give you more responsibly and promote you to higher positions but no prepared to pay you for it.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
salary
professional and exciting place to work
Competence Specialist (Current Employee) –  Aberdeenshire14 January 2019
I’m am currently working on an offshore rota working between Nexen's Buzzard, Scott and the Golden Eagle assets as a competence specialist. I support the both the Nexen and WOOD OPITO approved CMS in-house frameworks. I currently work with the electronic competency portfolios through Wood's AIS and Nexen's live-link systems as well as hard copy (paper) portfolios with apprentices and longer-term candidates

At present I support and guide the following disciplines

OIM's
Superintendents
Supervisors
Operation Engineers
Operations coordinators
Senior Technicians
Technicians
Apprentice Technicians

I am also involved in guiding trainee assessors and internal verifiers working towards their L & D 9 di and L & D 11 qualifications for both Nexen and WOOD.

I am approved to assess and verify Mechanical and all construction disciplines with OPITO, ECITB and EAL although due to the nature of my current role I provide advice and direction for all disciplines on-board the assets in which I visit.
Pros
professional organisation, great work colleagues and interesting work
Cons
away from home
good place to work
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City15 September 2018
little or no progression unless your face fits held back and refused courses to further your knowledge and experience quite secular workplace although some good guys at worker and management level
Good company, looks after their employees and has a structured portal to answer any queries you may have.
Instrunt Technicain (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City18 January 2019
Wood are a good company that will strive to improve your knowledge base and provide training for your job requirements. They have a sound HR system utilising an online portal to address any issues or queries you may have i.e. travel expenses or pay etc.

Wood look after there employees which is the most important thing.
Pros
Online portal and expenses
Excellent workplace
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen15 July 2018
Excellent working atmosphere;
communication to all departments and clients was helpful during problem solving;
was great place for building working network and friends;
Very approachable management;
Productive project(qec aircraft carriers)
Industrial painter (Former Employee) –  QÈC Rosyth8 January 2019
On this project i was given the oportunity to display my proffesional skills through a wide range of painting techniques from basic preperstion of steel,sripe coats for spraying right up to paint defects corrction for CCI and COTS finishing work
Pros
Dood scope of work
Cons
Long travel times
A good place to work, fun, productive and enjoyable
Fire SENTRY (Former Employee) –  Rosyth7 March 2018
A good place to work with no two days being the same. A typical day starts with permits and ends with permits being signed off. Management provided good leadership and information, and were also good listeners to any health and safety concerns. The work place was one of fellowship plus hard work. Good team efforts were a must with everyone pulling their weight. The hardest part of the job was the access at times with great care having to be taken due to hot work. The most enjoyable part of the work was seeing a job well done and the people I worked with.
Pros
Training and support
Cons
Cons long travelling which you got used too.
Productive Workplace
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne4 November 2018
I did a weeks placement at Wood. I worked within the different sectors at wood and had a great experience there. This helped me gage on what I would like to do in the future.
great to work for
Plater/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Billingham18 October 2018
as a contractor I was treated very well working conditions were very good and as the job was close to where I live travel wasn't an issue also the working conditions were very good
Pros
job was close to home
Cons
short contract
Nothing Special
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Offshore2 April 2018
Woodgroup "Does what it says on the tin". An offshore company who provide a workforce to operate and maintain facilities.

Never had any real issues while working for WG.

No benefits package during my employment but the salary compensated some for that.
Pros
Lots of work available
Cons
Heard of issues surrounding salary on certain circumstances.
Excellent Place to work
Technical Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City18 September 2018
Wood Group is a wonderful place to work in. During my time I worked with real friendly people in the industry right from day 1!.
My colleagues and line manager where very helpful through out my period.
Pros
Good Work Family balance
Professional and caring company
PA to Head of Group Assurance (Former Employee) –  London and Knutsford1 May 2018
A busy office environment but with friendly and helpful work colleagues. I have been very privileged to work in various departments in the corporate office and have learnt numerous skills along the way.
Pros
Excellent opportunities in-house
Cons
Mergers and change of management
Prodiuctive
Lead Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen13 September 2018
Supervision of 4 document controllers, a good relationship with the staff there. I have always enjoyed working for Wood Group now known as Wood. I am still in contact with corporate Lead in Aberdeen and if an opening is there, he shall contact me.