Wokingham Borough Council

Wokingham Borough Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom26 reviews
Typical day was busy, enjoyable and rewarding. The staff are professional and supportive. Will definately work there again. There was regular training and my manager was always very responsive.

I worked in sheltered housing,I was left to work off my own initiative without much intervention from management. We had weekly team meetings and my line manage was very supportive. Management ie the Directors had quarterly meetings with the elderly residents to enable them to participate in decision making about the schemes.

There were regular interaction with the with the elderly residents via coffee mornings and daily morning calls.

I worked closely with social services, the council's access team, care providers, GPs, families and friends of the residents to ensure residents receive holistic services.

The service was well planned and resident beneficiaries were very happy with the service. I enjoyed my time with Wokingham.
Pros
Lots of training and job opportunities.
Cons
The need for more salary reviews for sheltered housing Managers
Worked with WBC for nearly 11 years. Was made redundant after 11 years service. Daily running of 44/ 90 flats per day. Staff working under me and along side contractors too.
Phase one restructure was dreadful and staff were treated bad. I think people having to re-interview for there jobs that they has successfully been doing was a joke.
Not directly involved with council but employed by them to work at local primary school. I enjoyed all of my 10 years with them although at first it was only term contracts
Poor management that changes on a regular basis. Overworked/underpaid and not the role that was advertised. Hated every minute. Matrix management what a joke.
Pros
Team were friendly
Cons
Excessive workload - management just have no idea
Unfortunately have no good memories. Not a great place for BMEs in Supported Employment Team. I would never apply for a job there lacks understanding of diversity.
Cons
Ok for locals not BME especially those from Africa
A poor office structure with a lack of any management leadership or opportunities. The team I worked with all left the business except one who was more tolerant of the office culture.
Enjoyed my time there, my team/department were exceptional, didn't appreciate interference from other team managers in running my team and my budget.

Long commute for me!
Can be busy. Flexibility around school holidays. Remote working available. Mixed quality of management. Coaching culture and growing professional development ethos
Taking minutes of Governor meetings and keeping up to date with Government legislation on Education. Great working environment and interesting Governor skill set.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Wokingham Borough Council?
Variety of tasks including finance management, facilities management and HR contracts and payroll. Biggest achievement overseeing the building project.
I have over 40 years experience of admin from working as a Receptionist/Clerk-Typist to working at a senior level Personal Assistant within the Berkshire County Council. I was recruited as a secretary for Reading Council for Racial Equality. The two positions above was permanent positions. I was made redundant and found work with Thames Water as a Customer Relations Officer, Ing Direct similar position, Royal Berkshire Hospital as Assistant Medical Secretary part time 15 hours a week, Wrexham Park Hospital varies Admin roles, I was involved in caring for the Elderly. I was offered a role in Wokingham Borough Council as Tenant Involvement Officer, Customer Care Officer. I was offered position to work with Oxford Probation, Reading County Courts then Oxford Probation again. The positions mention was i was working on a temporary basis.
Pros
Free
Great place with great customers, love serving and making the food for customer to enjoy. Can be very busy at times. And they do delicious home made cakes
Deal with customer's enquiries via the phone, email or letter. Daily housing upload report and weekly schedules for the number of properties in the borough
Pros
Flexi time
Most Schemes surveyed and designed generally resulted in being little more than white paint on the road, which was generally pointless and a total waste of money
Pros
Nice Office
Cons
Hot Desking
boring and mudain role, management was okay and understandinf od personal situations however the tasks and roles of the job where un-engaging and staff motivation was at a low. good job for part time student summer work but not as a fulltime placement
Role varied so i got to learn more than my initial job role. friendly working environment. old style office very helpful individuals. training was very good
A major problem we are all suffering is the lack of funding. The area ia a very good area and one I would recommend to work in, but a lack of funding means its makes the job more challenging than it needs to be.
Very poor organisation to work for. They treat people like dirt if your face don't fit or you are wrong colour.
Advise for hard working people stay away from it.

If you are lazy you will fit right in.
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Poor managers
A great place to work with friendly and helpful staff, plenty of variety to the day. You are encouraged to use your own ideas and be confident in you decisions. There is always plenty of support from managers and senior team members.
Working for Wokingham Borough Council has been a fantastic experience. A typical day at work involved a honing a number of workplace skills: patience, professionalism and passion were at the core of all work undertaken. I was given a great responsibility safeguarding children in the football program and passing on my skill set involved in football. Children are often unpredictable, so managing them, even for a short period, was sometimes challenging, but always fun. Enthusiasm and quick thinking went a long way to engaging the children and careful planning for the hours of coaching meant that they always learned something new.
Pros
great experience, friendly collegues
Cons
limited hours