Wm Morrisons Supermarkets Employee Reviews in Birmingham

Found 56 reviews matching the search See all 4,448 reviews
Good people underneath bad people above
Night Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham29 August 2019
Worked at Morrison's for many years in management days and nights would not recommend being a manager salary looks good on paper then end up working for peanuts when work out hourly rate higher management can be bullies as well many department managers work well over 55 60 hours constant staff cutting when I was there
Horrible
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands12 February 2019
I worked for a few years for Morrisons , absolutely horrible managers and always a work clique.

They'll advance anybody regardless of whether they are competent at the job. Staff morale is always low, glad I left.
Pros
Ok colleagues but terrible upper management
Customer service assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham30 October 2018
The overall store and environment is ok but the upper management isn't very friendly, approachable or helpful. Bullying behaviour towards the other staff and nothing gets done about it
Gave me the motivation to leave retail !!
SENIOR MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Birmingham28 October 2018
After 30 years of working, my experience at Morrisons gave me the motivation to leave the retail sector.
Managers are only managers by title - they are basically glorified colleagues having to constantly pick up the pieces / mess created by not having enough resources in the first place then get reprimanded because as the manager it’s their fault. Many managers work 6 or even 7 days a week as not given the resources to succeed but threatened with performance management if they miss KPI’s. Far too much waste in back areas due to no resources to work back stock before deliveries. The business does produce a ‘Right Hours’ guide showing how many colleague hours each department should ideally but this report doesn’t align to payroll budget so about as useful as a chocolate fire guard as no one ever gets them plus further hours cut out of days ( mostly from service areas ) to invest into night replenishment. Pay and benefits poor but with so many management redundancies in retail sector people have little choice but to accept them rather than having no job. Head office teams don’t communicate to each other ie service departments required to have every checkout open on Christmas Eve without payroll allocating the investment required to do so. Also if joining as an external manager don’t expect any training - all the regional trainers have either been made redundant or now work in stores - but do expect to have to roll your sleeves up and work stock every day. Work life balance also poor and as a duty manager expect to spend more Sunday’s working than not and not able to have at least
  more... some time with your family - morale in stores very poor.
If you’re young, no family, happy to work stock for 50 - 60 hours and 6 or 7 days a week for a poor salary and little support then you’ll do well as a Morrisons manager - apply now as they have plenty of vacancies due to many current managers stepping down, off sick with work related stress or decide enough is enough and just leave.
Pros
Subsidised canteen ( if you ever have a break )
Cons
Too many as mentioned in review
Excellent flexibility
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands10 August 2018
Excellent flexibility
Very good progress ability
managers should be more fair towards staff
Managers not able to help and support staff
Always short on staffing
Pros
Flexibility for mums
Cons
Managers needs careful planing for shift
Enjoyed the work, am looking for full time however.
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham12 July 2018
I enjoy the work. However, I am now looking for more hours and they are not willing to increase my contract. I have been moved departments & they haven't given much support.
decent pay but not a fun place to work
Checkout operator & customer assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham26 May 2018
pros

it is an decent place to work if you are looking for work, due to the pay rate is good, 10% discount occasional 20% days roughly twice a year, guaranteed contract hours every week, pension

cons

Little appreciation for the work the staff do because it is feels like you are being punished for being a good worker, so to put it simply if they know you are capable of doing more then they expect more from you and give you the harder jobs whilst somebody less deserving is overlooked.

Lack of staff and availability in my particular store always leads to customer complaints.

Been told to try and enjoy the job my a line manager who clearly and clearly doesn't enjoy their job.

Unless your are desperate for work, or you really are a people person, then I wouldn't recommend a retail/supermarket job at all as there is little appreciation from management, higher ups or most the customers.

It is also very hard to get an increase in contract hours, so even though the rate of pay is attractive the average contract per employee is around 20 hours or less so in reality you do not make a lot of money unless you are of the lucky ones to receive a 25+ hour contract and there is hardly any overtime handed out.
Pros
free parking, rate of pay, discounts on selected third party companies (i.e. alton towers)
Cons
little to no leeway for negotiating shift when needed, very political, lack of hours, shortage of staff members, work bank holidays, not allowed to book holidays at Christmas, constant pressure put on staff, lack of progression, environment
great place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 March 2018
A great operator and true retailer trader,adopts a shopfloor to top floor approach.Plan for the day but in a large complex unit many things change and think on your feet.Work hard and rewards and recognition follow,great company in growth.
Pros
canteen, benefits
Cons
friendly and fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham5 March 2018
To manage a team of staff to complete tasks withing the departments under my management. I had the chance to improve certain skills i already attained like my management skills, people skills and planning skills. I had a friendly team of staff to work with and i was happy with the way i was treated as a manager and respected by other members of my team.
Pros
staff discount
Productiv
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands20 February 2018
A place of productive fun with manegers very communicative!A working team and passionat! Shifts of work paid correctly and fixed! A place with wonderful people!
No day is the same - varied
Senior/Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands2 February 2018
Varied shifts either very early starts & very late finishes, challenging environment, meet great people, very much hands on constant feedback, not for the faint hearted. A great feeling when things go well. Be prepared to roll sleeves up and get stuck in.
Pros
subsidised lunch, staff discount
Cons
long hours, very challenging
good place to work meet nice people
Fishmonger (Former Employee) –  Birmingham11 January 2018
it was hard work but fun to work their met some very nice people . good staff and always to help each other out. long busy day but helped buy getting to know thw customers
Pros
good compant to work for
Cons
smelling of fish
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham24 October 2017
Working here is good it's a chilled place not fast past so u can take ur time. U can have break anytime u want as little by as not busy. Management not to bad loading and unloading lorries are the hardest part of the job the rest is easy scanning and shelf filling
Pros
Work day I will wanted
Cons
Not enough money
Friendly Supermarket
Christmas Colleague (Produce) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham19 September 2017
Working at Morrisons, there is always its to do, which can be expected when it is such a big supermarket. A typical four hour shift on the fresh produce section (between the hours of 7-11PM) includes, auditing and reducing necessary stock, restocking entire area, arranging warehouse for overnight deliveries, disposing of recycling, cleaning the shop and warehouse areas of produce thoroughly and checking the dates of every item.
Pros
Cheap canteen, Friendly and helpful colleagues, Staff discount (10%).
Cons
Busy, Can be handwork, Some managers can be hard to please.
Loved it there
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 August 2017
I was only there for a couple of months because it was a fixed term contract but I really enjoyed it. Being able to deal with customers and helping people everyday.
relaxed place to work
fish monger (Former Employee) –  Birmingham8 May 2017
as i was primarily on the fish bar people tend to stay away unless they specifically required fish. i learned how to prepare, fillet, gut and scale fish.
Cons
smeeling of fish after a shower
Good company
Checkout Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham2 May 2017
I worked for Morrisons for five year's almost the company is a good place management where fair and understanding. The roll it self was good I started as a normal checkout operator then worked my way up
Ok.
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands25 April 2017
Loved working at Morrisons general staff are always a great laugh, except managers can sometimes speak to staff in a disrespectful way in front of customers which does nothing for the moral of staff.
Fast pace
Cafe Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands25 April 2017
Fast paced..
Love working with people and customers
Gave me alot more confidence in my self
Deffinetly helps with self esteem too
And always busy so days go fast
Pros
Secure
Cons
Hard to get more contract hours
Great Experience, productive
Personnel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands17 March 2017
Gained great experience, knowledge and skills in HR
One team, managers are great and always willing to help.
Staff was amazing, always patient. Pay was good too.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wm Morrisons Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.

41.4K