Witherslack Group

Witherslack Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom56 reviews
Witherslackgroup is a good place to work
Witherslack group as a hole is a brilliant company to work for however the homes have different managers. I feel the home I am currently at the manager is not professional and will not take on board what the staff team say.
19 November 2019
Thanks for your review especially regarding your thoughts around Witherslack Group as a whole been a brilliant company to work for. It is disappointing to hear you are having difficulties with your current manager, and would like to resolve these issues for you.

To do so, we would like to explore this further with you to resolve this issue and would welcome you to contact the regional manager for the home to discuss further, or if you do not wish to do so, you can put your concerns in writing to head office, and if you highlight which home, these concerns will be dealt with confidentiality in order to address your concerns.
Great place to work!
I have only been at Witherslack for a couple of months and since day 1, I have had a fantastic induction. All staff have been so helpful and answered all the questions I have asked. Also the amount of training I have completed in a short period is great! The salary and benefits also is great.
Management are brilliant, always there to help, and are also at the end of the phone if needed!
28 April 2020
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate it. We offer a comprehensive induction programme for all of our new starters and further ongoing training to support staff development.

Supporting our staff is really important to us as it creates a positive working environment and ensures that staff feel valued.
Hard work and dedication
I have been with the group for over 8 months. The training we received before our home opened was exceptional. The management team at my home are truly committed to providing the best possible care for our young people. They go above and beyond to ensure the team have a clear understanding of the needs of the individuals and challenge us to look at ourselves and our practice. This ensures we are focussed on the young people and their progress. The outcomes achieved in a short time are clear to see for all the young people.
If you want to make a difference and be challenged to achieve more for yourself and our young people this is the home for you. If you want an easy ride, come to work to socialise, to duck and dive, or to play on your phone all day, it isn’t.
28 April 2020
We’re pleased to hear that you felt supported at Witherslack Group. We believe that providing support for our staff is essential in ensuring that we can provide the best outcomes for all of the young people in our care.

We have a dedicated Learning and Development Team who work closely with the operational teams to ensure we are delivery the best possible training. We’re delighted you’ve benefitted from those efforts.

You’re feedback will be really helpful for future colleagues deciding if this is the right move for them.
Some homes better than others
Not every home is the same and you do have some good homes within Witherslack, some are run by poor management which are allowed to get away with bullying staff! When issues are raised they are brushed under the carpet and not dealt with, home opened and around 9 staff members left within 4 months is not a good sign. Pick your home wisely is the best advice.
Pros
£500 bonus attendance allowance
Cons
Long hours and only £37 a sleep.
28 April 2020
We’re sorry to hear that we were unable to resolve the issues raised whilst still working for us and that this was your experience working at Witherslack Group. We take any complaints about the working culture very seriously, but it’s is difficult for us to resolve concerns without full details. We actively encourage staff to raise concerns with the management team or HR, in line with the relevant policy.
Job satisfaction
I have worked for the group for the last 5 years across both the Darlington and Willington site. The group itself is an excellent company to work for with many advantages such as great salary and health care plans.
The company is growing rapidly meaning the opportunity to progress and develop is definitely there.

Prior to working for the group I had never worked in this environment and did find the challenging and complex behaviours difficult to deal with. The work involved in opening an new home was difficult and draining, it was however extremely rewarding to see the impact of the wrap around care provided by the home, education and therapy teams. The support from the staff team is what gets you through the long rough days, the team becomes a second family and the support from that is huge.

The job itself is not easy, and certainly not for everyone. However if you can commit yourself to the role you will really feel the benefits of providing a safe and secure environment for vulnerable young people.
28 April 2020
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We offer a salary and benefits package that is among the best in our sector, as our staff deserve to be rewarded for their hard work and dedication to our young people.
It’s great to hear that you have been supported by your team, having a positive working environment is really important as it allows us to achieve the best possible outcomes for our young people.

I hope you’re review proves useful to anyone consider a role with our Group.
It can be hard but its worth it.
think this has been my favourite job. We have an amazing team and manager who cares about both her kids and young people. It can be really tough at times so that makes all the difference. Every day is different my only one downside is it's hard to do with kids at home. Hours can be long but you know that when you sign up. I love where I work. I feel the training has been good and the team really pull together. This job is always manic different every day and your always facing new challenges. It is tough some days and loads of fun on others but you learn so much about yourself and it teaches you so many new skills :)
13 February 2020
Thank you for leaving us such a positive review, it’s really important to us that our staff feel supported by their teams and that the role is enjoyable! Having a positive working environment where staff can thrive is really important as it helps us improve outcomes for our young people.
No staff wellbeing at all!!
Staff Well being was non-existent!! Numerous members of staff repeatedly injured, unapprecciated and put in unsafe situations and when raising concerns about staff safety and wellbeing, they were ignored by SLT. Even when concerns were documented during exit interview, they were unimportant and simply ignored. Many of the staff members who aren't SLT were amazing, hand working and supportive. Just a shame the ones in charge weren't the same.
13 February 2020
We’re sorry to hear you felt this was your experience of working for Witherslack Group. Staff well-being is really important to us as an organisation and all staff are given training on how to de-escalate situations to ensure that they can keep themselves, other staff members and our young people safe. We would encourage any staff member to escalate any issues like this, if they feel there is something to be raised.
Fabulous opportunities
After working in residential management for many years the Witherslack group has been a breath of fresh air, I work in a bespoke home as a team leader looking after very challenging young people . I am part of the management team and I’m supported daily to provide focus, structure , consistency and high standards ensuring fantastic outcomes for our young people
18 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for our future colleagues.
Brilliant place to work
I have worked for witherslack for 6 months now and during my time working for the company I have received a high level of training. I have undertaken trauma training and specific training around aces and PBS, this had enabled me and the staff team to work and provide the young people with the best possible care and to improve their outlook for the future. The management are the most supportive team I have came across and no problem you have is ever too much to sort out and be supported. The management team support and encourage you to perform to the best of your ability and to exceed in everything you do. This then creates a team that want to be there for the young people and provide the best possible care. Everyone is made accountable for their own actions which some people may not like, although if you have nothing to hide and enjoy providing a safe, secure base for the young people to thrive from then witherslack is the employer for you!
18 December 2019
Thank you for such a thoughtful review. We are really glad as a new starter with the Group you feel supported and well trained for the tasks at hand.

In our most recent survey, ‘improving outcomes for young people is a top priority at my place of work’ was our highest scoring question at 8.9. This is something that we are really proud of, as making a difference to the lives of children and young people is at the centre of everything we do
Consider what sort of work life balance you want before applying.
Witherskack is a growing company with a lot of different job roles on offer, the salary and benefits are really good along with good annual leave.

But you have to be very committed to putting work before family life or social life it's very long hours and work load can be very testing.

But if your willing to work hard the job is very rewarding with some positive outcomes for the young people.
18 December 2019
Thank you for your review, our growth plans are exciting and allow us to offer great development opportunities for staff and one of the best salary and benefits packages in the sector.
We do require our staff to be flexible regarding shifts, in order for us to meet the needs of our young people and provide them with the best possible outcomes.
Great place
If you want to work hard and make a difference then You will love it if your a sit back then not the lace got you the young people are challenging but why else would they need special education?
18 December 2019
Our establishments can be challenging environments, however, the most important thing for us is ensuring the best possible outcomes for our young people. Thank you for your review.
Definitely more cons than pros
Overall a poor place to work. Staff turnover is huge and lack of consistency with staff drives people away. Manager doesn’t tend to listen to staff in meetings or in general day to day concerns, however the deputy seems more concerned with staffs feelings and welfare than the registered manager has. Kids are looked after to a high standard and I believe the children are the only reason staff stay within the company to ensure the children receive the best care. If you are applying for a job, I maybe wouldn’t bother. I’d rather work in Greggs.
18 December 2019
We’re sorry to hear that you have had a negative experience working for Witherslack Group, this is not a reflection of what we want our staff to feel like when working for us. We actively encourage you to raise any concerns either with Senior management or HR so we can investigate and make any necessary changes to create the working environment we aim for.
I came in Dec 2018 and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here.
An excellent company to work for with continuous support for staff and children. I have worked in this field previously and found The Witherslack Group to be the best in the care sector. For a large staff team there is a real bond and strength. I would highly recommend anyone to work for the company.
18 December 2019
Thank you for the great review! We have recently been rated the number 1 Children’s Home provider by Ofsted, with all of our homes being rated Good or Outstanding. It is important that all of our staff teams work together so that we can continue to provide the best possible care for our young people.
Committed to Changing the Lives of Children
This is a fast paced environment with children who require a lot of attention and commitment from the adults around them, yet I feel that the training and support given from the company is finely a tuned to ensure this happens in abundance.

There is a robust induction program to ensure that you are prepared for what lies ahead. All staff within my working environment are supportive of one another and communication is effective. It's a great team to be a part of. Being a 24 hour care provision means there are obviously some unsociable hours, however the management team are as flexible as they can practically be.

We work in a holistic manner ensuring the care of the young people is paramount to everything that we do. Progress of the young people is outstanding and this is led from the top.

As a group they attempt to take on board all pragmatic suggestions to improve and drive the company forward via regular consultation with all staff.

On a whole my experience of the group has been extremely positive, which supports me to continually give 100%.
Pros
Outstanding Care of Young People, Great Benefits
Cons
Unsociable Hours, Lots of Paperwork
18 December 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We work together to provide the best possible outcomes for our young people, putting them at the centre of everything we do. It’s great to hear that you have been supported.

In our most recent employee survey, ‘improving outcomes for young people is a top priority at my place of work’ was our highest scoring question at 8.9. This is something that we are really proud of, as making a difference to the lives of children and young people is at the centre of everything we do.
Selective support
Not really interested in the wellbeing of staff unless you are at the top of the ladder. induction was Ok but left to your own devices with limited support unless your face fits.
18 December 2019
Apologies that you haven not felt supported during your time at Witherslack Group. We aim to provide a supportive environment for all of our staff and offer a comprehensive induction programme.
I wouldn’t even bother applying
Spent hours filling the application form out to then get an interview that I had to travel over an hour for, spent hours researching the company to never have any contact afterwards or feedback. Really unprofessional in my opinion bad management !
18 December 2019
We are sorry to hear that you didn’t have a positive experience of the recruitment process. We fully understand the importance of feedback and our policy is to provide it following an interview. Please contact us in confidence, so that we can look into this further for you.
They destroyed our school
An appalling organisation. They destroyed our school as soon as they found out their business model did not work in Scotland. Avoid like the plague. No interest in pupil or staff welfare. In it only for the profit. Visit www.TNS2019.org to find out the whole story.
So many lives destroyed by their greed.

Directors caused massive suffering to young people and lied to get out of a business deal.
Excellent place to work, friendly enviroment and lots of progression.
The company is now the largest care provider for young people in the UK, they look after their staff and there are lots of opportunities to progress. The salary is competitive and the working environment is friendly. If you are considering a career in working with hard to reach children look no further than Witherslack, in my 8 years of experience I can honestly say they are the most established organisation in this field and above all truly care about bringing change to the lives of young people.
11 November 2019
We have recently been rated the number 1 Children’s Home provider by Ofsted, with all of our homes being rated Good or Outstanding. We’re really glad to hear that your experience has been positive, it’s important for us that our staff feel valued so that we can continue to provide the best care for our young people.
Challenging but greatly rewarding
I have worked with the Witherslack Group for just over 2 months, I came into this job with no experiences of this type of work before. I have received full training from within the company to be qualified to be able to deal with all situations.
The management are great and are very supportive with every aspect of the job taking time to help wherever they can. The workplace environment is positive and everyone enjoys and helps everyone else out with everything. Everyday is different and many days involve a variety of activities with the Young People.

The most enjoyable part of the job is been able to watch the Young People develop and progress within their own lives, helping them as much as you can so that they can succeed.
11 November 2019
Thank you for writing a review, it is really appreciated. We provide a full training package to all staff, to ensure that everyone is fully equipped to deal with all situations. Having a positive working environment where staff can thrive is really important for us as it helps us achieve the best possible outcomes for our young people.
Excellent Care Setting, Good Employer and Strong Career
I work within the group, in a home, i feel very supported by the management and care staff. Any work place issues i have had have been dealt with very professionally and to the highest standard. I feel valued and extremely proud of working for the group. I have received extra qualifications and training since being within the group and its clear they want people to progress within the group.
11 November 2019
It’s great to hear that you feel valued and proud of working for Witherslack Group. We provide a training and development programme for every member of our team, so that you can progress and grow your career with us.
challaging but fun.
I have worked in a residential home for Witherslack group for 2 years now, I have been supported and pushed to promote and achieve amazing things. I feel if you are a hard working person and you like to keep busy and want a job where you are challenged but supported this is the one for you.

Great holidays

great rate of pay

Lots of qualifications to be able to gain.

Pros
Pay, Holidays, Qualifications, activities.
Cons
Long hours, working weekends.
11 November 2019
We’re really glad that you have been supported at Witherslack Group. We offer a salary and benefits package that is among the best in our sector, we believe that all of our staff should be rewarded for all of their hard work and dedication. Thank you for sharing your review.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Witherslack Group. Our community is ready to answer.