with you Employee Reviews

4.0Pay & Benefits
4.0Job Security & Advancement
Rewarding Place to Work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh8 August 2019
A typical day is busy but rewarding, especially when you have the skills to make a difference to a persons life and independence. There is a lot to learn particularly if you have not worked in care before. Training is available to all, we are all responsible for our own development after the comprehensive induction period.

The role is not just befriending or going to coffee shops, far from it. There is shifts and weekend working but you get a rota in advance.

In comparison to other care company's I have worked for I am the happiest here, really good caring staff and management.
Pros
Good pay and the hours fit personal life
Cons
Mixed Feelings
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lothians14 July 2019
A typical day involves supporting SU's with activities and all their day to day tasks. Paperwork, regurgitated emails, and expectations to do things, which I believe should not impose on the time of the SU, are a thing.

I learned that staff in this line of work, and especially in this company, are not truly valued at all. The company started out strong on this one but quickly fell short of the mark and remained there. I am talking untimely rota distribution, errors with payment on multiple occasions, team meetings and supervisions becoming non existent. Training fizzling out. Some staff more privileged than others, despite being on the same level. All down to money saving methods.

Management are okay. Occasionally great. I think they are usually approachable but seem unreasonable at times. Can often feel like you're WILLINGLY jumping through hoops for the good of the company and the people you support, but it's a problem for management to accommodate your small request after you've gone above and beyond. Some of the management need better trained on how to handle staff and situations. On several occasions I witnessed Senior level staff shouting at staff below their level, in full view of several other members of staff. This is not how it is done!! Seeing a staff member reduced to tears, just once, not great guys!

The priority list in most cases is SU>Everything else>Staff. This does not work and ends with understaffed teams and staff that no longer care as much as they did from day 1. Seemed to be this loop of employing staff, burn them out with the above, lose the
  more... staff and repeat the loop. Baffling! Top tip - Valued staff are less likely to leave. If treated correctly, you'd have all staff ready to bend over backwards at any time. Try it and see!

The workplace is also a mixed bag. Worked with some really nice people, and some not so nice. Can often feel like a catty environment, gossiping etc. Mostly people are willing to help you and share their experience so you have an easier time in the role.

Hardest part of the job has to be dealing with untimely rota distribution, doing behind the scenes work that should really be done by management level upwards. And if you have dependents, accepting that the company really does no care about this or the sacrifices you make for this antisocial and thankless role.

The most enjoyable part of the job is spending proper time with SU's and delivering the support they need. Quite often a day's work can be spent out and about in the community, supporting SU to accomplish their goals for that day.

It can be a really great role, but it's tarnished by the backwards mindset and practices of the company. It's ironic that the very qualities that these companies look for in a person, are the same qualities they insist on breaking down bit by bit. The saying goes"you get what you pay for," and staff willing give more than their hourly rate. Quite happily to do so to begin with, until they no longer cared. Myself included.

I gave 3 stars because 2.5 wasn't an option. If someone asked me "should I apply," my honest reply would be "Meh," followed by a shrug of the shoulders. A shakedown from the top to the bottom could make that place great again. If you value your sanity, I'd enter this role as a relief worker before making a commitment. Permanent workers often take second place to relief workers simply because they are bound by contract. Like I mentioned before, money saving methods prevail. Equal treatment, not so much.
Pros
Lots to learn. Rewarding when working with SU's
Cons
Anti social, Underappreciated, Pay doesn't consistently reflect expectations, Mental health will be challenged
ok
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh12 March 2019
typical day can involve supporting with personal care , shopping and social support . Training always available .
Management are good and always approachable.