Winemark Employee Reviews

Worst job ever
Manager (Former Employee) –  Numerous29 September 2019
No support from hierarchy especially from regional managers, unrealistic targets, pathetic promotions, no duty of care whatsoever. Lack of consistency
winemark
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Carrickfergus7 September 2019
i loved my job as a sales advisor. going in meeting new people the staff n management were great. i am a people person so working with the general public on a day to day bases was challeging but i loved it
Not Great
Employee (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland31 August 2019
Firstly, if you want a job here, go for sales or senior sales.
The work is good, and your shifts will go quickly. You will get paid for every hour you work. Stay away from management positions.
Low staff numbers mean increased hours for managers who are expected to fill the gaps if no one else is available.
No overtime is paid to managers. If you are in this position, and you have to work over 40 hours, some weeks you could be working for less than minimum wage.
Be very aware: You will never get this time back. And you will get no thanks or compensation for it.
Pros
It is a job
Cons
Don’t be a manager.
easy work place although upper management can be a pain
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim19 June 2019
day to day life in the store is great, the upper management can be a pain and very cold e.g. a girl in the shop got robbed at gun point and they only allowed 2 weeks sick leave before they let her go
Terrible management, no staff morale, ridiculous rules
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim18 June 2019
If an item isn't scanned or your till is down more than £1 you have to pay back the amount with your own wage. The full amount of the product. (Even if it's a £25 bottle etc.) Tills are touch-screen and non-responsive so errors like this are common (more-so in busier stores).

Management have underpaid each month, which requires calculating my own hours and contacting payroll to amend this. (which can take a month to get your initial correct pay) e.g. you can be down £200 and not receive the pay until the followng month.

Some stores are as busy as supermarkets, others are dead quiet. However you will be paid the exact same, and still have to pay any stock loss.

Your wage is 10p above minimum wage if over 21 (7.80 p/h currently) however expect this to fall below that if there are any discrepencies on your till.

Would only work here if you knew the management and store you were working for. As some managers are more understanding than others.
Pros
Colleagues and customers are friendly
Cons
Poor management, Payback stock loss or cash discrepencies, Incorrect pay every month
Not too bad
Supervisor (full-time) (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland10 June 2019
The people that you work with make or break your working experience in Winemark. The company gives out a good wage with perks. No job security and the security is terrible too in the working environment. Robberies are very common and management dont care.
Pros
Paid on lunch break
Cons
Management, job security, unsafe environment.
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Killyleagh20 March 2019
variety of roles within job. Friendly boss however poor senior management. Long opening hours to meet requirements of business which involves working over holidays.
Not a great place!
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Derry, UK18 December 2018
Typical day meant getting abusive drunk customers with no support from management - it could be very scary! Part time staff are at fault for everything that goes wrong, even when its managements fault. They expect you to try and upsell their most expensive products to people you know could not afford it and if you don't youre in trouble! CEO's and Area managers are horrific! Their systems and tills are in the dinosaur times
great place to work, upper management not great to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carrickfergus District, County Antrim11 December 2018
loved working here, great people and environment to work in only problems where with upper management not with my store manger but with area manger, harsh on younger staff members and not enough opportunities given
Good Workplace
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim9 September 2018
I enjoyed working at the Winemark, especially the people i worked with. Although the hours were not consistent with my requirements. I enjoyed my time at the Winemark and my experience working at the establishment.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim1 August 2018
I enjoyed working for Winemark as the staff were very friendly and the hours were manageable. The only thing I didn't like was the type of custom we would get sometimes, quite drunk and rude. The work itself involved a lot of heavy lifting, restocking shelves and talking to customers as well as regular stocktaking and unloading deliveries.
Bullying Management
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coleraine, County Londonderry31 May 2018
Was made to feel like i had to leave the company due to bullying from a female regional manager. They don’t follow any kind of protocols or laws, and have no duty of care to their employees. Disgusting management.
Pros
The wonderful customers
Cons
Disgusting behaviour of high management
Many vacancies for a reason.
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland28 February 2018
Winemark as a company I feel is somewhat poorly handled, many people in the role of a sales advisor will have to take on manager duties. While I can see this for the benefits it brings as well, for your hourly rate, it is a much higher load of paperwork than working for any other chain.

I have often found that while working the systems are outdated and often simply do not work, not due to user error but have just not worked properly. I feel this company should do with an update.

The customers you experience are usually very friendly and it is nice to help them as they are thankful, co workers are pleasant too and I find them to be a great part of the job.

This job is good for students but you have a steep learning curve if you have worked in stores that the managers will file lodgements, shipping orders and shop paperwork before, as this has to be done by lower level employees at Winemark.

As said in another review there is a reason why there is always vacancies open for the company.
Pros
Customers, Experience, Coworkers
Cons
Outdated systems, steep learning curve
Good Stable Job
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Belfast City Centre, County Antrim27 August 2017
Plenty of benefits, and very friendly shop managers and colleagues. A typical day is straightforward and easy to pick up. Role is very customer orientated, and never boring.
Fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim2 March 2017
Always enjoy going in for my shift, the people I work with are lovely. The area managers are always interested in hearing about ways they could improve customer satisfaction and take our ideas into account when making improvements.
Professional
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Carryduff2 July 2016
Sales and target based role where you learn about the product and also receive appropriate levels of training to assist you with any advancement you wish to achieve within the organisation.

Co-workers and management were professional but also quite relaxed.

The hardest part were the day shifts because in my store they could be rather quite at times which caused time to drag.

The most enjoyable part was the opportunity to take on responsibilities as banking along with opening and closing the store for example.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Late hours
You only need to look at the number of job adverts each week
sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Killyleagh6 June 2016
I think the number of job advertisements each week says it all some people have been there for years but a lot of vacancies seem to come up on a weekly basis. The wage is totally wrong key holding duties, safe management and book keeping and for minimum wage?
Pros
the customers
Cons
the wage
Reasonable Student part time Job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Belfast4 February 2016
Reasonable Student part time Job with a good degree of flexibility to accommodate study in higher education. limited opportunities for progression and lack of support at times.
productive and fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballymena, NIR7 October 2015
a typical day in winemark would have been general stocktaking, stocking out and customer service.

I learned a lot about wines and was able to do a course to gain a qualification from doing so.
it was an absolute pleasure working with management they were very good and understanding.

only things is if it wasn't busy it could be a very slow day
Good pay and very good for students
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Bangor, NIR6 June 2015
I find the work at winemark to be a healthy balance between keeping yourself busy, but not over encumbered. Weeks range in hours but I typically get 6+ extra hours a week.

Holidays benefits are great with x1.5 pay with additional holiday time being very generous.

Overall as a student they work around my schedule and help ensure I get great hours.