Winemark

Winemark Employee Reviews

United Kingdom27 reviews
I usually worked shift with the manager. A lot of the time the manager just let me get on with it. I was very experienced in wine knowledge which he led a lot. I did not like the late shift hours. Otherwise a good company to work for.
Highly recommended place to work.
Great staff.

Friendly environment.

Flexible working patterns.

Understanding bosses.

Staff discount.

Uniform provided.
Depending on shift pattern you can end up working until 11pm at night, usual shift pattern for a part timer is 5-11, even on the weekends. Decent wage for someone looking part-time work. It was my job throughout my uni studies and it got me by no problems. Management is good, stressed, but good. They definitively have their favourite though. Hardest part of the job is having to constantly ensure the fridges are stacked which can be hard when the shop is busy, especially if you are on a shift by yourself which is often, more so during the day. Enjoyment wise, you are constantly talking to someone new via the customers and the staff are usually friendly. There is opportunity to progress onto management training, key holder and so on, plus you can work shifts in different shops if you're looking additional hours.

Overall, decent place to work, especially if you're a student and like a fast paced environment!
Easy job but can become boring at times when the shop is quiet, The tasks that are carried out daily are tedious but the management was always fair and in my case always had my back
Management expect you not to have a life outside of winemark. Fine when fully staffed but a nightmare otherwise. Never get appreciated or thanks for how hard you work, but if you do the slightest thing wrong or if the shop isn’t left literally perfect it’s the end of the world. Couldn’t believe the amount of responsibility and work part time staff have for the pay they get. Management take advantage of hard working part time staff and leave the hard work for them to do and leave the shop at the drop of a hat with a full delivery to put away on their own - maybe was just my manager
Finishing at 11pm on weekends was tough as it was late and it stopped getting busy around 8 o’clock because customers are usually in the bar before 9 or 10 pm
Pros
Pay
Cons
Late shifts
No support from hierarchy especially from regional managers, unrealistic targets, pathetic promotions, no duty of care whatsoever. Lack of consistency
i loved my job as a sales advisor. going in meeting new people the staff n management were great. i am a people person so working with the general public on a day to day bases was challeging but i loved it
Firstly, if you want a job here, go for sales or senior sales.
The work is good, and your shifts will go quickly. You will get paid for every hour you work. Stay away from management positions.

Low staff numbers mean increased hours for managers who are expected to fill the gaps if no one else is available.

No overtime is paid to managers. If you are in this position, and you have to work over 40 hours, some weeks you could be working for less than minimum wage.

Be very aware: You will never get this time back. And you will get no thanks or compensation for it.
Pros
It is a job
Cons
Don’t be a manager.
day to day life in the store is great, the upper management can be a pain and very cold e.g. a girl in the shop got robbed at gun point and they only allowed 2 weeks sick leave before they let her go
If an item isn't scanned or your till is down more than £1 you have to pay back the amount with your own wage. The full amount of the product. (Even if it's a £25 bottle etc.) Tills are touch-screen and non-responsive so errors like this are common (more-so in busier stores).

Management have underpaid each month, which requires calculating my own hours and contacting payroll to amend this. (which can take a month to get your initial correct pay) e.g. you can be down £200 and not receive the pay until the followng month.

Some stores are as busy as supermarkets, others are dead quiet. However you will be paid the exact same, and still have to pay any stock loss.

Your wage is 10p above minimum wage if over 21 (7.80 p/h currently) however expect this to fall below that if there are any discrepencies on your till.

Would only work here if you knew the management and store you were working for. As some managers are more understanding than others.
Pros
Colleagues and customers are friendly
Cons
Poor management, Payback stock loss or cash discrepencies, Incorrect pay every month
The people that you work with make or break your working experience in Winemark. The company gives out a good wage with perks. No job security and the security is terrible too in the working environment. Robberies are very common and management dont care.
Pros
Paid on lunch break
Cons
Management, job security, unsafe environment.
variety of roles within job. Friendly boss however poor senior management. Long opening hours to meet requirements of business which involves working over holidays.
Typical day meant getting abusive drunk customers with no support from management - it could be very scary! Part time staff are at fault for everything that goes wrong, even when its managements fault. They expect you to try and upsell their most expensive products to people you know could not afford it and if you don't youre in trouble! CEO's and Area managers are horrific! Their systems and tills are in the dinosaur times
loved working here, great people and environment to work in only problems where with upper management not with my store manger but with area manger, harsh on younger staff members and not enough opportunities given
I enjoyed working at the Winemark, especially the people i worked with. Although the hours were not consistent with my requirements. I enjoyed my time at the Winemark and my experience working at the establishment.
I enjoyed working for Winemark as the staff were very friendly and the hours were manageable. The only thing I didn't like was the type of custom we would get sometimes, quite drunk and rude. The work itself involved a lot of heavy lifting, restocking shelves and talking to customers as well as regular stocktaking and unloading deliveries.
Was made to feel like i had to leave the company due to bullying from a female regional manager. They don’t follow any kind of protocols or laws, and have no duty of care to their employees. Disgusting management.
Pros
The wonderful customers
Cons
Disgusting behaviour of high management
Winemark as a company I feel is somewhat poorly handled, many people in the role of a sales advisor will have to take on manager duties. While I can see this for the benefits it brings as well, for your hourly rate, it is a much higher load of paperwork than working for any other chain.

I have often found that while working the systems are outdated and often simply do not work, not due to user error but have just not worked properly. I feel this company should do with an update.

The customers you experience are usually very friendly and it is nice to help them as they are thankful, co workers are pleasant too and I find them to be a great part of the job.

This job is good for students but you have a steep learning curve if you have worked in stores that the managers will file lodgements, shipping orders and shop paperwork before, as this has to be done by lower level employees at Winemark.

As said in another review there is a reason why there is always vacancies open for the company.
Pros
Customers, Experience, Coworkers
Cons
Outdated systems, steep learning curve
Plenty of benefits, and very friendly shop managers and colleagues. A typical day is straightforward and easy to pick up. Role is very customer orientated, and never boring.
Always enjoy going in for my shift, the people I work with are lovely. The area managers are always interested in hearing about ways they could improve customer satisfaction and take our ideas into account when making improvements.