Wincanton Employee Reviews

Poor place to work
H.G.V. Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Mossend13 June 2018
Contracts are poorly run. Some are run better than others but overall it's bad. Money is wasted left right and centre. Pressure put on drivers to drive efficiently but nothing seems to be done about management waste.
Pros
Cons
Unreliable equipment.
Terrible company to work for
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Worksop, Nottinghamshire12 June 2018
Treat you like dog dirt, management are useless, like nothing but dissaplinarys. You get a job then they spend rest of time trying to find reasons to sack you.
You can’t talk to anyone, they just want you to work flat out as fast as humanly possible for your 8hour shift, depressing working here.
Pros
Cons
Everything they take anything of value away from you it’s a consentration camp
Absolute clown show
Former driver (Former Employee) –  Rochdale cdc31 May 2018
There’s more managers than drivers, seems anyone that has the ability to get their shoes on the right feet at first attempt is management material at wincanton.
Rochdale CDC is going downhill at a fast pace, they can’t get drivers, those that come don’t last, it really is a terrible place to work, management from top to bottom are clowns!!
Avoid at all costs!
Pros
Cons
It’s wincanton, say no more!
Worst job and company
IT Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chippenham, Wiltshire17 April 2018
The title sums up my experience of Wincanton.

The company hires people who are unqualified as managers and seek to control the department. There is bullying which is rife within the company as a whole and I experienced it myself. Was glad to leave.

If you want a boring job, be constantly hen pecked by clueless management while they sit around and talk all the time or disappear to meetings like it's important then this is the place for you.

The benefits are poor and they don't care about you or the environment you're working in.
Pros
Not a thing
Cons
Management bullying, lack of benefits, no real environment
Going down hill fast
Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire11 April 2018
When I first started was a good 'forever' job but with recent management change its gone down hill... On paper wage seems good but once you've been run over you're hours all week it works out low... New management haven't a clue and won't listen, early starts constantly doing 11-12-13 hours plus, later shift constantly sitting round waiting for keys/jobs to do etc poor management has ruined a once good job. Only one good thing is pay is always on time that's about it unfortunately. If none of this puts you off and still go for the job you will Def get it as a lot leaving at the moment.
Pros
Paid on time (only thing i could think of)
Cons
Everything else
Avoid working here
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chippenham, Wiltshire29 March 2018
I joined this company with a few of career progression but quickly realised I had been lied to and people rarely move on. Your stuck taking calls and dealing with basic IT situations with a structure that doesn't work. You are not trusted to deal with things you should be dealing with and you have to do it with limited staff.

It's quite an unfair environment with new older staff being paid several thousand more than the younger more experienced staff.

I recommend that you avoid working here as it's a backwards step to your IT career.
Pros
Cons
No progression, clueless management, unfair pay
Distribution
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Worksop, Nottinghamshire6 March 2018
Generally a good place to work, tidy, you can gain experience as a reach and fork lift driver, canteen ok, good benefits, workplace culture not satisfied.
Nice group of people to work with.
Class 2 driver (Current Employee) –  St Helens, Merseyside25 February 2018
Very competitive company who have high standards of thier workforce would recommend them to anyone.Good communication skills and very helpful if any problems occur out on route
Pros
Most days i only do half a shift
Cons
Some stores are very challenging to get into
Hgv 2
HGV 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  Greenford Station22 February 2018
Military! One small mistake and your out!
I look forward when drivers stop applying for this company due to huge driver shortage.

I give it 5 years before they lose major contracts.
Pros
Cant think of any
Cons
Wincanton
Living nightmare
worker (Former Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester17 February 2018
Bullying, pressured for unachievable pick rates, health/safety a joke second hand ppe for a company that makes so much money by stepping on workers. HSE need to see the working conditions, I'll never go asda for anything after see how this food is handled.
Pros
28 people got out since 1st January and counting
Cons
Management, expenses canteen, recycled food
Warehous
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells, Kent15 February 2018
I am very happy with my previous work. Job days suits me. Payments are always paid on time. There is never a problem to settle anything or take a day off
Fun place to work
Delivery driver (Current Employee) –  Purfleet, Essex30 January 2018
Very good company that caters well for its staff members, providing its members with excellent support and opportunity. Good working environment and friendly colleagues to work along side.
Pros
Early finish
Not good
HGV 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Felixstowe, Suffolk29 January 2018
Worst place I've ever worked. ...Terrible behaviour from the management they are animals...always max your hours for very little money. ..I lasted 4 days
great place to work
Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Swinton, Greater Manchester19 January 2018
having been here five years now I have a great sense of the company this is my second time round at wincanton, company are great. im only looking for new job due to wanting a salary increase.
Would not recommend
HGV Class 1 Driver (Current Employee) –  Lutterworth, Leicestershire12 January 2018
Impressive 3 day training, thought this job looks great! They’ve
Recently won the transport contract at Lutterworth back but all the warehousing was Wincanton before who do clearly hate Wincanton Transporter/drivers in there they’ve even said sooner have old transport in than us! I’ve been there 7 months now still waiting for correct uniform ppe, but if you work in the office you get ppe/uniform same day! I call it facefit transport, very unfriendly site to work office treat you like dirt on there shoes ! Sacked a driver yesterday for refusing to do a 15hour day, three of my work colleagues left last week due to issues with a office member and incorrect wages for last 10 weeks , another driver left after 2 weeks after being spoken to like rubbish again! Still not been payed so rang head office to be told, we have no records of you ever working for Wincanton Lutterworth!
Biggest mistake I did was leaving a good well payed job to join Wincanton! But this job could be good but it’s ran by poor management who just thrive on hating drivers!
Plenty off agency work in there around 40/50 agency drivers a day! But they can’t see why this is!, based on 45hr week contract, but if you come in on extra shifts overtime ! But you’ve onlycompleted say 40 hours in your normal week they will not pay you o/t until you’ve worked the first 5hours of your overtime day to make your contacted hour up to 45hrs even though it’s a overtime day! Avoid
And they stop you 45 minutes break each day
Can’t wait to escape
Pros
Days off
Cons
Being there
Dreadful
Cement mixer driver (Former Employee) –  Cambridgeshire6 January 2018
What a place, from the minute they invite you to Derby BEWARE!
You will be kept in the dark and fed on you know what (typical mushroom), our contracts never appeared until the 4th day, and for good reason! The salary was £10k less than advertised, a total sham!

I was VERY disappointed with the whole scenario, the way they handle situations and the blatant disregard to your needs/questions.

May suit some, but anyone with an ounce of sense and experience will see straight through them. Think VERY carefully before going down this route, there are good reasons why they are ALWAYS advertising for staff.
Pros
New truck
Cons
Empty place with no appreciation
Loader/Driver (Current Employee) –  Doncaster29 December 2017
The management does not appreciate workers at all, salary increase is missing in last 10 years, target is incredibly high and that is main reason why people leaving constantly. If not achieved, then Disciplinary meeting is being followed.
Overall above satisfactory
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Sherburn in Elmet14 December 2017
Work is simple regarding knowing job required and physical work-load within capabilities of almost every prospective employee, rates of pay are excellent above average for most warehouses in the country. Excellent working environment, pleasant atmosphere with managers and fellow employees. The only drawbacks are one weekend in every three, very little overtime available even at peak times i.e. Christmas and communication with various departments i.e. planning, shift managers etc is poor. However guaranteed hours and very stable job.
friendly
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Wisbech14 December 2017
there was mixed shifts, day and night
there i was learn not to much because there need work team work but thats for me wasn't a problem also do job quick
management was wery fine like workplace culture as well
hardest part of this job was that what there was very hot
Pros
not remember
Poorly managed and no motivation
Operations Support Analyst - Permanent (Former Employee) –  Chippenham12 December 2017
Poor management in the Service Delivery of IT in recent times has resulted in no motivation among the staff. Jobs are being passed onto mates of management and not advertised as they should.

While the pay isn't too bad, there is a severe lack of proper IT training and most of the staff there have been there too long and are stuck in a rut. With an infrastructure that is not up to date as it should be, the service given to customers is below par.

It's all about sucking up to the management, most of whom aren't fit to be managers. If your going to be any form of IT manager then please know the difference between a LAN and a WAN.
Pros
Bonus to buy 5 days extra holidays
Cons
No free drinks, poor management, awful job culture, no advancement