Wincanton Ltd

Wincanton Ltd Employee Reviews

United Kingdom637 reviews
I only left due to the contract I was on got relocated to a town 50 miles away ! Tho Wincanton did take their time on giving us an end date which did keep on being moved.I then got put forward for a interview on the Sainsbury’s contract local to me , and shocked at how bad the driver test was ! I had 2 driver trainers arguing over the answers to the questions on the drivers test, had to chase up HR to find out if I had been successful or not ! subsequently I wasn’t successful but they did take on a fellow driver from the same contract as me who hadn’t touched a artic in five years ! He left after 3 months with no support from the driver trainers ! As I said, it depends on the contract !
Pros
Cons
Appalling HR
Poor company,,Transport haven't a clue and try and bully,,dont waist your time I left for an agency just to get away,,also very click and a lot.of back stabbing.
Pros
Days off
Cons
Management, bullying
If you want to be over worked, underpaid and am treated like an animal this is the best place to work, the manager never know what’s going on, you will be told one thing by one and something different from the other
Pros
Cons
You are treated like a animal. No compassion
Where to even begin....
The turnover of senior managers here is very alarming. There have been 4 transport managers in 2 years, and now the company really has scraped the bottom of the barrel - employing a transport manager who is woefully under-qualified, does not have a CPC and can't hold an O licence. I have honestly seen more experienced, intelligent and qualified senior managers on sites with a tenth of the number of units.

Secondly, I have never worked or known anyone work somewhere with so many active grievances against members of staff and managers. Morale is incredibly low; professionalism is even lower, and any complaints are met with a deadend wall of nepotism (I.e. Family members from the same family in different management positions). Grievances are never dealt with fairly and are often left unresolved.

Thirdly, health and safety. If you work nights you will not get a break. You will not get appropriate desks or chairs. Your office will be filthy. Covid social distancing is not enforced. You will not get regular screen breaks. Your colleagues upstairs will have many breaks and a much more comfortable working environment, but good luck getting anywhere with your complaints due to the reasons above.

Next on the list - career progression. Expect none. You will not be trained. Your progression is not valued. If you are untrained you are a scapegoat and hence more useful to the company.

Lastly, do not expect to be paid fairly or correctly. Pay differs between contracts for the same position in the same county, pay differs between individuals in the same office in
 - more...
Pros
Free parking.
Cons
Your manager is changed more frequently than the bog roll (and is about as useful).
Hi, I've been working for 2years at this company, management 0, front desk 0, I dont recommend to work for this company!! You try to finish quickly to go home, they try to give you a second job all the time!! Don't waste you time!!! MANAGEMENT 0, FRONT DESK 0!!
Management not a clue how to run a warehouse, new management even worse and will throw every MTO under the bus any chance they get, Wincanton do not look after their shop floor workers. Don’t get no support or guidance from team leaders/ supervisors.
Only sort of conversation you get from them is when things go wrong and your name is somehow connected ( just to blame)
Pros
MTO workers
Cons
Management. Poorly run, no care for workers
Well I should have known, 37k a year and still can't retain drivers - they're always recruiting! Don't even waste your time. I left my old job to work here and what a mistake. I walked after a week (standard for the place). On my first day they paired me with a new porter and gave us a tough route. It's all London driving. We had 27 drops, mostly high up flats and a heavy load, a full truck... two newbies together just thrown right in the deep end. The truck was so badly loaded (new loaders) that half the time was spent just hunting for the right stuff and dealing with the damaged, wedged items. Don't underestimate the hard physical graft involved, I have done heavy multidrop around London before but this is something else. Washing machines, fridges, flatpack sofas, wardrobes, whole kitchens etc all to be carried up tight flights of stairs, all day long. I hope you're a competing bodybuilder!

They watch the tracker like hawks if you're running late. I only really struggled to find a truck legal route to one address but they saw on the tracker I was lost and instead of help, they rang to berate me. A new (to the company) driver on his first day! I worked nearly 15 exhausting hours that day (even with naughty tacho breaks), and they even get you unloading your sleds for warehouse at the end of the day, as if you haven't done enough work by then! But I would only get paid for 9.5 as the company doesn't pay overtime! Forced unpaid overtime is the norm here. There's not enough time between these long shifts to get much needed recovery sleep. So the body still aches, you're mentally
 - more...
Pros
Basic is good
Cons
Ridiculous hours, killer workload, useless management, high injury environment
The job is easy itself but the managers make it 10 times harder to do your job adequate enough. It’s always about numbers if you’re not getting the numbers that they require you too. a disciplinary interview will take place. then leading to loss of job. you do not feel job secure.
Pros
Job easy money okay
Cons
Lack of communication between managers
Management are all family so there's no unbiased opinion in the office. Once one has a problem with you they all do and there trying to get rid of you when you have actually done nothing wrong. HR are a joke who also take the sides of managers when they are infact in the wrong. All family members and friends of family take all the good routes and get all the help (van) leaving all the rubbish for everyone else. Health and safety is shocking with fire exits bolted shut. They will also mess with your pay and make up excuses till you catch them out or give up chasing it. They will suspend you for nothing lying to HR to make it possible. So basically its all corrupt and nothing has and probably never will be done about it. So basically if you want a deadend job that wont lead anywhere where loads of workplace bullying takes place and unequal opportunity then this is for you. If you have respect for yourself and value your worth you will stay far away. I wonder if the CEO knows all this.
Pros
Cons
Use to be job and knock but they took that away from us, Corruption, Incorrectly Paid, Unequal opportunities, Nepotism
If you don't mind being treated as a lying, lazy, dispensible child this is the job for you.

Although training is available for multiple things i.e. LLOP, FLT, High Reach etc there is no extra pay for that so same pay as the floor sweeper.

The monitoring and evaluation systems are over zeolous and counter productive. The result is demotivation and managent spend all there time in displinery meetings etc.

Shame it could be a good place to work.
7 Senior managers and 4 HR managers in 2 years? They just quit, if you want to kill your career then this is the contract for you. Customer is vile and this is one of the issues. No support and constantly challenging costs but in the wrong areas as contract is not making money after 3 years. Good people have left or have been replaced on cheaper salaries.
Pros
20% day discount card.
Cons
To many to list!
When you join Wincanton you become part of a team . Some people don't see it that way but that's how it works. No matter what shift you are on, be it (6.2, 2.10 or 10.6)
It is not a bad place to work.
It's the work colleagues that get the job done while managers go out for a smoke and coffee. Not knowing what time your shift finished was a pain to plan outside life like doctors/ dentist/ school runs etc. You could finish on time after 8 hours or 1-2 hours flexed up or down. Tight company to flex up and clean just to get hours back during slack periods. Management non existent, turn blind eye to everything to everything until something happens or told from upstairs to do something.
Management non existent
Pros
Wage not bad
Cons
Shifts useless, bullying management
Working at Wincanton was an enjoyable experience and if you like to travel and doing nights out this is definitely the job for you.
I started working with them contracted to the Body Shop Hub in Littlehampton, West Sussex. Transporting beauty products to hubs all over the UK.

Later i was transferred over to Wincanton Construction, contracted to the Ibstock Brick Company, and many other building material suppliers. I transporting all kinds of building materials to building sites and builders merchants using lorry mounted cranes and fork lifts to off load the products

I spent a lot of time on the road and doing nights out. This is a young mans game for preferably single employee's
Pros
good company to work for. Plenty training and money can be good too
Cons
not much of a social or family life working for this company
You are told you shift will be changed without any warning.
The people in charge are not experienced in people management and treat you like children.

They show off if they don't get there own way and you have to be in the click to gey on.
Pros
Cons
You know more than then.
Worst company I have ever worked for,no management ,not a clue what is going on most of the time,if you have a problem, tough you gave to deal with it, keep away I read the reviews,but still worked for them.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, mismanaged, no backup.
Currupt managers who bully there staff was a good company to start with until the security woman got the managers role who is very much a bully and gets protected.the leece loves helping those drivers who want that little extra help wink wink.the job is good but if you pump in the wrong direction you will be investigated by the special branch team.stay away for your own sanity and remember you are a number and you cant progress if you are a driver.be
carfull of dr death
Pros
Money ok
Cons
Bullying curuption back stabbing
Wincanton are a bottom feeder of an employer, constantly under biding for contracts and staying just above the “salary threshold” for the area. They help to drag the industry down in the race to the bottom with any other third party companies, you are also guaranteed an inexperienced management team. If Wincanton take your contract, they’ll drive it into the ground to make money by ripping off you and the customer.
Pros
Cons
Plenty.
Very good company to work for.
Left to do your job.

Training given if need.

Reviews every 3 months.

Full uniform provided.

Bonus scheme.

New vehicles.

Good rate of pay.

Disappointed contract come to an end.
Implementing a new TMS is no easy project and one that Wincanton are in the final stages of grappling with...i wish the team all the best with the subsequent roll out phase
If you want to fell over worked and under paid this is the job for you, if not then stay away as management here only care about one thing and that is getting a bigger bonus by running each area of the site with as few people as possible every day