Wiltshire Council

Wiltshire Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom66 reviews
Wiltshire Counciö
A good place to work. Can be bureaucratic, depending on which department. Good worklife balance, with home working a standard feature. Salaries are good for the region.
loved working and getting to know the young people we transported
enjoyed my job only left as we moved away from the area, i miss the job and was hoping to find the same in lincolnshire. The taxi companies i worked with for 3 to 5 years at a time where all good and we got on well
Can be prone to cliques
Can be prone to cliques. Multiple working hubs, home working, flexible working, pension, clear desk policy, hotdesking, catering facilities in main hubs. Countywide working.
Excellent before all the changes that took placed
Worked for years and felt part of a team, for the most great managers.
Unfortunately my experience after the youth service was disbanded in 2014 my experience became very different.

No team spirit. Not been listened to (though my depth of experience was paramount to the work I was doing. Felt undermined and disrespected by management, colleagues and others
Really committed staff who work here
Nice place to work. People are friendly and there is lots going on.

Disadvantages are that teams work in silos and so it can make it hard for collaborative working.

Advantages are that they are very supportive.

Hot-desking takes some getting used to, but being able to work from home is nice.
Good life/work balance
The life/work balance was good however the work ethic in my department was questionable at times and there did not appear to be any accountability if a task was not actually carried out or not carried out well. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting members of the public.
Good place, nice people, diligent, caring and forward thinking.
Try to get the best from everything. Driven, ambitious and autonomous.

Definitley worth working for.
A great place to work
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Witlshire and this was helped by great staff and good line management. There was some disconnections but, for the most part, there was good working across service teams and a very collaborative atmosphere.
The offices at Trowbridge are excellent and a great place to work.
Overall good
The council are good at listening to there employees and trying to make changes to keep staff happy. The level of supervision I have is good and the assistant managers are supportive.
Youth Justice Reperation Worker
At Wiltshire council, I supported young people to complete there community orders. The young person was required to complete a number of positive activities which included Revamping a van, Painting metal railings, painting buildings, working in charity shops and a number of other activities to support them whilst trying to regulate offending behaviour and liasing with staff to ensure they were signposted to other services if they needed it, eg the job centre and universal credit applications.
Ever changing workload and nice colleagues
A busy department dealing with customers face to face, over the phone, post and email. Hardest part of the job is managing an ever increasing workload with the same number of staff. Good support from management when required. Most enjoyable part is when you genuinely feel you've made a difference to someone
Lots of opportunities but lots of restructures and stuffy people
Has its highs and lows. The culture can be poor. There can be a lot of negativity. But given all the cuts and constant risk of losing your job it isn't surprising.
Authoritarian organisation
Spent more time on the computer than with clients. Wiltshire Council want to train and grow their own social care staff but this has created a bad culture where managers follow policies and procedures like the behaviour framework to a tee and you can’t cough without upsetting someone or being threatened with a policy. It needs new managers from outside this organisation of puppets to bring logic, common sense and fresh ideas
Good employment system
Worked as a Property Development Manager and was impressed with the system and adherence to protocol to ensure correct management and discipline.
Attention to government policy and Council housing allocations.
Provides good opportunities for leadership training
Hardest part of the job - dealing with the pressures of reducing budgets and increasing public demand and expectations.

Good opportunities for those to progress if desired.

Flexible working policies

Good ICT infrastructure
Negatives out way the positives
Good: Flexi hours, work from home, local benefits, good pension.

Bad: Regular restructuring, managment inconsistent, lack of progression, lack of support above management.
Great working environment, lots of challenging work
I have really enjoyed my time at Wiltshire Council. it was my first foray into local government and was not what I was expecting at all. it is pacier than I expected and the staff all work hard - there is a real passion about the community and trying to improve lives. Finance is an issue, and everyone knows they must try and make savings so there is some innovative stiff going on including a digital programme. I have recently attended bites size sessions to see what new technology and applications can do and it looks exciting. Unfortunately, I am leaving soon as my family are relocating so it’s a must leave not because I want to. I am looking for other roles in local government as a result of my experience but I have a feeling it may not be the same elsewhere!!
Pros
The people
Cons
Finance
salay benfeits
good workplace culture, work/life balance
Length of service can determine more benefits

holiday and sick pay good

part time hours available to those as required
Rural unitary council. Probably thinks it is better-managed than it actually is.
Does not have a Chief Executive, having instead 3 Exec Directors. Result is a lack of clear leadership. Organisation performs reasonably well, but lacks strong performance management, and could be so much better than it is. Pleasant working atmosphere, at least superficially. Hard to recruit to, due to rural location (Trowbridge in Wiltshire), similarly low staff turnover. A bit of a 'sleepy hollow', in many ways. OK if you want a relatively easy life, mediocre pay, poor prospects of advancement. Nevertheless, good public service ethos.
Pros
Nice working atmosphere, good modernised buildings.
Cons
Frustrating if you want to get things done. Frustrating that poor performance is tolerated.
A lovely place to work with lots of lovely people around you, full of team spirit
I am only with the WTB - Wiltshire Temp Bank - In-house Employment Agency, but it would be really nice to get a permanent full time job now as I have been there for many years.
Love it
I have worked here for a short time but so far I have really enjoyed it. the team are really friendly and welcoming and the flexible working that attracted me is real. I am able to balance my home commitments (children) with work and there is no barrier to career progression for staff who work part time, my manager is able to work flexibly. I have recently joined the EPIC team which means that I have met lots of other staff in teams across the council and this has helped me to understand better the scale of what the council does - its huge. I am looking forward to developing my career here and so far the access to learning and development really supports this. Added to all of this is the work - it is varied and interesting - and there is lots of it.
Pros
Team, work, flexible working
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wiltshire Council. Our community is ready to answer.