Wilson James
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Wilson James Employee Reviews

United Kingdom222 reviews
Good rate of pay........ if you get into one the blue chip sites. Otherwise it’s poor like the majority of security firms.
Overall Wilson James is a good company to work for. If your “face fits”, you are willing to work overtime & work unsociable hours. However there is a vast difference in hourly pay rate from the best to the poorest sites.
Fun to work for
a dream come true for me one of the best security companies to work for they provide you company cars and pay for bank holidays even if you don't work the day you still get paid the benefits are fantastic fantastic company
Xx
or Supervisor/Security (Current Employee) - London, Greater London - 23 January 2020
As a multi-sites company, everything will depends on the site and the management. In my case I have worked for several sites within a large company and the team leaders of both sites have been terrible. They act as if they were the owners of the companies we work for and treat the "subordinates" as if they were slaves. Bad communication and do NOT accept suggestions because they believe they know everything.

Pros

Competitive salary in most of the cases.

Cons

Long hours to get a decent payslip after tax. No time for sh
Much better now, good place to work
If I had written this review a year ago when I TUPED from the old company I would have given 1 star. It is easy to say bad things about a company on here as they can't reply, but I am happy to have stayed at wilson james now as I am much happier and can say good things.

Since the start of this year it has been a complete turnaround. The new manager is really supportive and is getting used to the site and making good changes and also recognising people's help and ideas. I think he is also getting more support from the supervisors and they seem happier too.

He makes an effort to visit us all to make sure we have what we need and to try and get it if we don't. Even during the lockdown the management is trying to make sure we all keep in contact which cannot be easy.

The new pay rate will make a difference even though it's minimum wage it's still 51p more an hour. We would like more but who wouldn't? Overall I think I will stay here now as before I was looking to quit. I think getting more new guards will help so when it gets busy again they can help with the extra hours.
Wouldn’t recommend
No consistency with break times- at busy periods break after 6-7 hrs worked, not relaxed at all, been watched 24/7, no additional pay for very early starts(1-2 am)/ very late finishes
Poor Management
Bullying culture is across all sites with internal manager to manager phone calls preventing advancement. Area managers/Contract managers dire at communicating and shift allocation too thoses they favour. Females treated as second class and should not be in security culture... Over haul of current site bully managers is required to move this company forward.
Pros
Particularly sites a good rate of pay
Cons
Bullies, dinosaur mentality and no advancement
If you are a favourite then you can get training if not forget it
Get training if you are young or in the favorite group if not you are not treated well and you are just a number. Management have their favourites and there is a very negative working atmosphere
Good pay bad company
Good wage but really bad/none existing management. Poor facilities. People you work with can be ok but the manager we had was not interested in the contract or the safety of officers on site. And if you challenge this you will be removed from site no questions asked.

But this could be different in other areas but Derbyshire area I would recommendstaying away
Team Spirit
I enjoyed working at Wilson James in Southampton, All the Security Team Work like clockwork and they have a great Team Spirit.

They are like one big happy family who stick together and help each other out.
Pros
Flexible
Excellent company
Excellent company to work for, great managers and friendly environment. Jobs is properly explained and training provided all the time. Shift work 4on 4off days and nights. Health and safety very strict and standard operating procedure is strict.
Bad company
Very bad management, bullying. Fisical work.
Needs better equipment, needs better management, needs organization.

Poor payments, expect too much from you.

Training is too much different from the job tasks.
Serious place to work.
You meet every day people to high profile people, Management is Excellent and very co-operative .
One enjoy working for Wilson James Ltd, they are all professionals and hard working and they expect you to be the same

hard working professional.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Not many hours to work
Good Changes
Been at Grangemouth over 10 years and worked for both security companies. Wilson James are completely different and better overall to the other, they want to be better and from what I heard ran their first site really well for 5 years before they got the other contract here. We always looked at Wilson James and wanted to be a part of that site, we are now and I'm really happy.

I enjoy my job, it can be boring sometimes and quiet and then other times is really busy and the day flies. I would like to go to other parts of the site and learn new things as it can be a bit boring if you are stuck on 1 gate.

There is a new manager and deputy manager who I think will be good, I have seen him a lot more than the previous and I feel he cares about us. It cant be easy as there are a few people who think they can run it better and make problems for the managers. But that's what they are paid to sort out.

The pay could be better and the days/nights can be long but I like the people I work with and we all work together.
Good
I love my job. Staff are realy friendly. Management easy to talk to. Generally a good atmosphere all around.!! Holidays can be hard as some staff cannot work extra so leaving the work place short. But in general most people pull together to help each other. Its been my best job so far..
Avoid if you want a life!
Don't get sucked Into this place (Grangemouth) as it will just stress you out and land you with depression. Management has been extremely lackluster. Always being PROMISED the world but all I see are false promises. No recognition for hard work, no bonus or even thanks for the shifts you put in.. promising visits from managers for a "good old catch up" but they never turn up..

Next to no social life, not enough time to recover from dayshift to Nightshift or vice versa. If you want something repaired or replaced, prepare to wait around 6 months or maybe never.. who knows they've probably "lost it" or never "received it" which is the usual response..

They'll just let you rot at a gate.. Absolutely no incentive apart from the odd double time shift on a bank holiday or whatever.. avoid like the plague. It will eat you up and spit you out like you weren't even born.

Many many negatives in this place, only positive is getting home..

Management needs to buck up and "for real" get to know the officers, what they deal with, what their needs are to do the job etc.. Complete lackluster.
challenging fun and enjoyable
I worked for WJ foe 15 years ads a logistics manager at Heathrow Airport .At first it was not easy but once settled I worked hard for them I carried out many tasks which I took n myself to be successful in what I was doing on all of my project which was many , that included air-side pass movement of staff , driving instructor air-side took on all the welfare jobs and managed them myself ,crane operations and many other jobs with in the company ,Was very happy ther but was made redounded
I enjoy dealing with the passengers
I enjoy working with my colleagues, we al look after each other. The management seem to struggle with the work allocation. They have had the contact for the Southampton Docks since November 2018 and still struggle to get the ship manning allocation sent out on time and accurate.
Pros
I enjoy working with my collegues
Cons
the work schedulling is not fair
Static Guarding Duties
same job on the same site tupeed over, no culture issues, customs and excise site, rules must be carried out regarding, this, site closing down, maybe
Bully by managers
Was bullied by manager and forced to leave. Long hours shift work , pay does not suit job , never enough staff . Was not supportive to any staff at all
Security guard/outer london
Straight off whatever job you apply for as a guard... dont expect to do the job you apply for, this company have no qualms about telling you you will be doing one job and then having you work in the most boring time dragging work going,management are well short of a good standard, man management skills are pathetic, (managers Will cherry pick easy shifts for O/T, boring not pleasant working environment.
Permanent position
Pros
Competitive salary in most of the cases.
Cons
Long hours to get a decent payslip after tax. No time for share with family and/or friends.