Wilson James Employee Reviews

Short Period
CCTV Controller (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire9 November 2018
I only worked for this company for a short period of time as I had to Tupe over as the company I worked for at the time lost the contract. So I had to Tupe over
Already showing what a bunch of clowns they are.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 November 2018
Did not ask or want to work for this security company, but it was either TUPE across or be unemployed. A month into working for them and they have clearly taken on more than they can chew with this large contract they have won. Severely understaffed for this contract and considering they are offering minimum wage for jobs to fill it, i think they will struggle to keep some sites through not having enough local based staff to cover sites as they need to be.

They cant even get the basics right of knowing how current sites run.

Automated booking on systems are a shambles, control room staff are rude and poorly informed which must stem from a complete lack of communication between them and HR and contract managers.

Information in regards to wages or holiday booking procedures etc, have been as clear as mud.

What once was a decent job to go to with a decent company to work for is fast becoming a bit of a nightmare.

You can tell this company does not value its workforce, or at least some of it.
Pros
None as of yet (lets hope the pay is correct)
Cons
Rude control room staff, obvious lack of communication
Support Officer
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Salford25 September 2018
At first I assumed this was a normal security company.

Then after a few weeks I discovered why the staff retention rate for support officers was so high.

They compete for prestigious contracts in areas where they have no other contracts, so no support staff to cover holidays.

Then staff from other areas have to travel 100's of miles to cover.

Also, I worked 6 weeks once with just 5 days off, they roster you rest days and then phone you at 3 in the morning pestering you to work a 3 hours drive away.
Pros
Company car when travelling for work
Cons
Constant travelling, no time off
Poor
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  London5 July 2018
Poor company to work for. No support from senior management. Only interested in winning contracts and not maintaining them
No real HR support and have bad reputations amongst staff
agency no job security
cleaning opperative (Former Employee) –  Capenhurst31 January 2018
expect to much don't rate management haven't got a clue on what they are doing or the nature of the site tipical contract company employing agency workers.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Not happy with this company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands12 September 2017
Worst company I've ever worked for in my life there like sharks please avoid no organisation at all manger Martin from Birmingham office is not organised at all I don't know why he's a manger he can't even do the interview right. There a joke I will be making a complaint to the sia about this company I wonder why the security industry is going down company's like these need closing very ignorant security staff so people who read this please AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS
Productive and lovely people
Junior Payroll/HR Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chalkwell8 August 2017
I loved working here! Everyone was so kind and polite and the manager's really helpful and generous. The CEO of the company was an incredibly nice man and there were lots of opportunities for education and bettering yourself.
Pros
education/personal advancement
good enviroment to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire24 May 2017
I very much enjoyed working at Wilson James as it was a varied and challenging job on a daily basis. There are some very nice and supportive people with them.
Not a bad company to work for
Aviation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Derby13 May 2017
on a zero hour contract and I have not been given enough hours to support my self financially. the only thing its good for is to give you work experience
Pros
Experience
Cons
Short hours, zero hour contract
Another bad security company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Wales5 May 2017
Another disorganised Security company, who don't pay wages correctly due to there own poor management and charge you for uniform you haven't received. Taking on contracts outside of an area they can positively manage like many other companies.
Utter joke
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Milford Haven30 April 2017
Constantly harassed, bullied and blackmailed by their vetting team. They promise you the world and get you to sign policy after policy while not delivering. Their management are power crazed that keep the moral of the workforce at an all time low. In short. Stay well clear.
Pros
Cons
Harassed, long hours, homework, low wage
Fun place to work
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 April 2017
I have enjoyed very minutes of working with Wilson James.
The culture and people are varied and great to get along with.No day is the same and with the number of sites which the company are contracted to work a staff member has a range of site to move to .So one can take advantage to the weekly opportunities and advance your career.
Pros
Opportunity to progress is great.
Cons
Some site are more demanding than others
No better or worse than any other company
Security Receptionist (Former Employee) –  The London Science Museum8 March 2017
I never wanted to work for WJ but I was TUPE'd over to them rather than made redundant when the museum out sourced security. Right from the start their admin was inept, letter incorrectly addressed, salary mistakes even giving incorrect details to the SIA when obtain licences on my behalf.
Corporate security
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Nottingham3 March 2017
I have worked at Ikano bank for over 5 years as a security officer responsible for reception duties, vending machine break downs, stationary issue, car park patrol, access management and cctv operations,
Pros
Free fruit and tea and coffee
Cons
12 hours shifts
Very Educational, Interesting and Good Development
Aviation Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Heathrow Airport5 January 2017
Roles can change to meet requirements; however the company ensures that you are fully trained and briefed.

A large amount of knowledge of Aviation Security, Management and customer relations.

Management is well organised.

Co-Workers are great, everyone pulls their weight.

Hardest part was waking up for shift but the overall outcome is positive.

I enjoyed the numerous positions I was able to forfill for the company.
Pros
Good Salary, Training and enviroment.
Wilson James
Recruitment Coordinator (Current Employee) –  City of London, Greater London21 December 2016
Primary support function of the company in recruitment.
Duties include;
• Mailbox management
• Coordinating recruitment processes
• Preparing and conducting assessment days
• Reviewing CV’s and telephone screening candidates

Leaving due to redundancy
Very good professional organization
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Manchester17 November 2016
if you want to work for a company that is professional , that values the individual , pays a fair rate for the job with approachable good management that listens this is it.
Corporate environment
Security Officer/Fire Security (Former Employee) –  London BBC Broadcasting House8 November 2016
I started as a security officer in the reception dealing in access control and receiving guest and visitors.I then became a mobile driver taking uniforms and stationery to various sites on day time,and respond to fire activation in other locations on night time.
Long Hours
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen25 September 2016
Long hours. Overtime available
Liked the 4 shifts on and then 4 shifts off.
Like the job.
It is security work. Not rocket science
Pros
Night shift
Cons
dayshift
Fun workplace but poor work/life balance
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow16 July 2016
A typical day would be to wake up at 05:30 to get the free transport to work for a 07:00 shift (for a night shift the hours would be reversed i.e. 17:30 wake up for a 19:00 shift). Work shifts were 12 hours, they included performing body and car searches on visitors and high profile athletes at the Commonwealth games. Other duties included using X-Ray scanners to search bags for contraband's.
The nature of the work means that employees had to be good with interacting with the public and skilled with operating with their teams to ensure a smooth and efficient search that was also effective.
Pros
Free Lunch, Free Transport to and from work.
Cons
Long hours, 12 hour shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wilson James. Our community is ready to answer.