Willmott Dixon Group

Willmott Dixon Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom23 reviews
Autocratic and outdated leadership
Worked for WDP (now Fortem) poor senior team, lacked gravitas and inspiration, also, very clicky.

Offices were very basic and run down, client contract bids promised big but were never achievable, corners were cut to win contracts. Leading to very low morale amongst teams.
Stressful
Great colleagues and good working environment but management lacks a lot of professionalism and knowledge . I wouldn’t recommend working for this company on a very long term basis.
Absolute farce.
I will keep this review short and sweet. Fortem solutions latest client ( Onward homes ) will soon see right through this shower and come to the conclusion that they have dropped a clanger awarding them at least 5 years of a 10 year contract .
Most of the comments made by previous employees are very much true sadly.

So glad to have left the company !!! myself and enjoy my work again with my new employer .
Pros
Cons
Plenty
Trades people are treated like a bit of rubbish
Working at fortem
Trades people are treated really badly .

I do not know anyone who enjoy it there.

There is a massive staff exodus

What ever you do they are not satisfied and want more and more .

You constantly being monitored by the tracker on the van.
Pros
Local
Cons
Birthday off
Total shambles
They say they are a company that cares ,not likely management are arrogant and ignorat no commication skills .working in high risk jobs with disable person for tick the box excise .ostrsizing in the work place by so called supervisor . Only interested in their bonus and portfolio ,it's all about health and safety NOT, it's about the coin. Very disorganise company ,should not be working for housing sector leave it to the professionals. Also you are tracked on your pda and your van ( big brother).
Pros
Day off on birthday
Great Company
Good hours
Always felt supported

Great culture - really warm and friendly

Various uk sites

Likes the communication via regular meetings keeping us up to date an informed
Pros
benefits, culture, values
Cons
Appalling treatment of staff.This company practices nepatism to its highest degree.
I was absolutely gobsmacked to see an admin job advertised at the Rotherham branch.All the admin staff but two were made redundant in March this year after many years service.If you have any sense you will stay well away!!
Pros
Birthday off
Cons
Management at the Rotherham branch are appalling, You are But a number here unless you are friends and family!
Typical social housing repair company obsessed with so called multi skilled would not survive outside of social housing
What a shame!
I thought you wanted workmen!

if only the senior management had foresight

Fortem could possibly be a good company,

Over the last year

I have Seen some shockingly poor repairs/work standards

School children could do better,

Not really sure that Fortem knows what they want

Big aspirations!

zero rewards

Fortem, don’t step outside social housing repairs with your current attitude

To sum up if your a jack of all trades and master of none this is definitely the job for you, standard of work here has absolutely no relevance!!
Pros
Left alone if you turn out the work
Cons
Pay below expectations
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Willmott Dixon Group?
shocking
Not interested in change was glad to see the back of them when they left contract I on.But to be fair they are a lot better than the company who have now taken over contract.poor inherited managers caused a lot of issues
Pros
paid on time
Cons
Poor consultation with workers which is what they claim to do
Poor quality of work
Another review for the Birmingham gas contract. Shabby springs to mind. Engineers watched constantly by trackers. They don't seem to care about the quality of work as long as you have completed more than 7 properties a day. On out of hours you are called out at 5 or 6am and told that you can do the job on your way to your first job of the day. Getting called out at 2am is common in the winter. You are also told (not asked, told) to work on other areas on out of hours when someone won't answer their phone, if you refuse you are asked to go to the office to face disciplinary charges. All this for a pittance pay (out of hours) (normal rate isn't too bad hence 3 stars for that). I do have to say that most gas related jobs are like this nowadays, but WD is extremely bad. Avoid for your own health reasons!
Pros
Good training school in Aston
Cons
Out of hours, poor management, back stabbing call centre, etc...
No direction -unsettling
Management poor if your face fits then you are fine. Quite a clicky organisation. Would not recommend. Everyone has their own agenda. No team work is present and changes are made garenteed every 18 months. Unstable which can be scary.
Pros
Birthday leave
Cons
No career proogresion once in. Not a diverse cultural company
Reactive bullying culture
I worked at willmott dixon(fortem) for 7 years. If you enjoy being totally under appreciated and made to feel the skills you have acquired at college and 20 plus years on the tools as ten a penny anyone could do your job you could be replaced tomorrow you will enjoy working for willmott(fortem). Reactive management make it up as they go along nothing put in writing so never held accountable and bumble from one disaster to the next. They claim to have strong values and strong health and safety but as soon as it impacts on the job not being done it flys out the window pure lip service. Please don't have an opinion as your life will get very hard very quickly.
Pros
Its a wage and they pay on time, You get your birthday off(as long as the employee feed back is positive)
Cons
1200 quid excess on company van if you have a bump(dont worry you can pay it back 100 a month), Some hour flexibility is in fact shifts 8 till 4, Saturday with a day off in the week, 12 till 8 rotated over 3 month period.
Worked on the gas department in bham
Jokers incompetent 24 year old manager with 4 years experience joker being trained and spent 17 years with British gas these need to have their registration taken away gas safe is aware they work dangerous and don't have a clue don't waste your time
My Best Employer So Far
I joined Willmott Dixon in 2011 and have loved every min.

Fantastic benefits/Salary with the company.

Great People.

Great career development and they are always happy to help you develop your skills and I have achieved so many skills which will support me within my career moves.

They support staff in their fundraising events to improve lives and help local communities.

They spend a lot of money supporting graduates and young people by offering training/qualifications and hands on works experience.

Rick Willmott is very pleasant and approachable, together with other board members.
Pros
Company Benefits are amazing
Cons
Lot of changes within the company which can be unsettling, but its a business at the end of the day.
Wish I hadn't of bothered
Sadly box ticking health and safety is more important than actually getting the job done, if your happy doing this you will be fine, if not look somewhere else for a job!
Pros
You get a salary
Cons
Health and safety gone mad
Mangement have NO mangement skills
I worked for Willmott Dixon for only 3 months which was quite enough for me.

As a planner I thought I'd never look for another job again, until they decided to make an example of a manager by sacking him.

We had other managers in from far to try and put things back on track but all they did was back stab about us to our remaining manager. Unfortunately he had no back bone and was a yes sir how high should I jump for you.

He backed the wrong staff member and allowed a good worker to be bullied by the managers who had come in to help.

This company needs to follow their own ethos and values as they expect the staff to.
Pros
Good pay scale
Cons
Felt victimised, bullied, no support, no structure, no backbone from managers
Ground down continually
Absolute joke company, run by yes men managers without any idea of the construction trade, and only interested in bull targets and box ticking, pretend to be strict on h/s but just another box to tick, never witnessed a farce like it in my whole adult career.
JOKERS
Pros
Regular wage
Cons
Long days travellinv forced to do callout.
Selfish poor management.
I had worked for this company for 7 years and managed to escape.
The management are the worst I have ever come across in 30 years of working on the tools.

They thrive on bully tactics and 'you will be made to do it' attitude stinks.

They emphasise on h&s but this is only to suit the paper work.

Tight on ppe and materials. The cheaper the better does not work when 2 months later you are going back to change a defective part.

Save the stress and look elsewhere.
Pros
Regular wage
Cons
Read the list
Blame driven culture
I joined as a graduate with a little experience. I was told in my interview "I would use everything I learned in university" so was very happy to join.

Once I joined it became clear the management had no interest in letting a graduate be part of their failing team, and was left to do the jobs they didn't want to do or had no interest in. One of these jobs were the health and safety paperwork, which is extremely important, but I was made to feel obsolete and left out of important conversatations. I had just graduated with a first class degree, but was made to feel stupid by senior mangers in front of other people, which was only to make themselves look better.

The health and safety records were also ignored, which meant any problems on site I did pick up during my inspections, were left unactioned by senior management, and anything that cost them a bit of money was rejected.

A really rubbish company, any graduate should look elsewhere.
Pros
Hard to think of anything good. Didn't like it one bit
Cons
No communication between seniors and juniors, information not shared. Juniors are used as scapegoats
Challenged and empowered
Really enjoyable company to work for- great people and I feel respected and empowered to get on with my job. The company is constantly trying to improve things and adapt and change with the times.
Pros
Empowered, challenged and good benefits
Great Employer
I loved my time at Willmott Dixon. There was a fantastic culture within the business and enjoyed going to work each day. Lots of emphasis on training and development.