Willmott Dixon Group Employee Reviews

Poor quality of work
Gas Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Kings Heath, West Midlands2 February 2018
Another review for the Birmingham gas contract. Shabby springs to mind. Engineers watched constantly by trackers. They don't seem to care about the quality of work as long as you have completed more than 7 properties a day. On out of hours you are called out at 5 or 6am and told that you can do the job on your way to your first job of the day. Getting called out at 2am is common in the winter. You are also told (not asked, told) to work on other areas on out of hours when someone won't answer their phone, if you refuse you are asked to go to the office to face disciplinary charges. All this for a pittance pay (out of hours) (normal rate isn't too bad hence 3 stars for that). I do have to say that most gas related jobs are like this nowadays, but WD is extremely bad. Avoid for your own health reasons!
Pros
Good training school in Aston
Cons
Out of hours, poor management, back stabbing call centre, etc...
No direction -unsettling
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Engaland7 June 2017
Management poor if your face fits then you are fine. Quite a clicky organisation. Would not recommend. Everyone has their own agenda. No team work is present and changes are made garenteed every 18 months. Unstable which can be scary.
Pros
Birthday leave
Cons
No career proogresion once in. Not a diverse cultural company
Reactive bullying culture
Multiskilled (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 February 2017
I worked at willmott dixon(fortem) for 7 years. If you enjoy being totally under appreciated and made to feel the skills you have acquired at college and 20 plus years on the tools as ten a penny anyone could do your job you could be replaced tomorrow you will enjoy working for willmott(fortem). Reactive management make it up as they go along nothing put in writing so never held accountable and bumble from one disaster to the next. They claim to have strong values and strong health and safety but as soon as it impacts on the job not being done it flys out the window pure lip service. Please don't have an opinion as your life will get very hard very quickly.
Pros
Its a wage and they pay on time, You get your birthday off(as long as the employee feed back is positive)
Cons
1200 quid excess on company van if you have a bump(dont worry you can pay it back 100 a month), Some hour flexibility is in fact shifts 8 till 4, Saturday with a day off in the week, 12 till 8 rotated over 3 month period.
Worked on the gas department in bham
Repair Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 February 2017
Jokers incompetent 24 year old manager with 4 years experience joker being trained and spent 17 years with British gas these need to have their registration taken away gas safe is aware they work dangerous and don't have a clue don't waste your time
My Best Employer So Far
Receptionist/Administrator (Current Employee) –  Letchworth, Hertfordshire19 January 2017
I joined Willmott Dixon in 2011 and have loved every min.

Fantastic benefits/Salary with the company.

Great People.

Great career development and they are always happy to help you develop your skills and I have achieved so many skills which will support me within my career moves.

They support staff in their fundraising events to improve lives and help local communities.

They spend a lot of money supporting graduates and young people by offering training/qualifications and hands on works experience.

Rick Willmott is very pleasant and approachable, together with other board members.
Pros
Company Benefits are amazing
Cons
Lot of changes within the company which can be unsettling, but its a business at the end of the day.
Wish I hadn't of bothered
Multi trade (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands28 November 2016
Sadly box ticking health and safety is more important than actually getting the job done, if your happy doing this you will be fine, if not look somewhere else for a job!
Pros
You get a salary
Cons
Health and safety gone mad
Mangement have NO mangement skills
Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Birmingham south4 September 2016
I worked for Willmott Dixon for only 3 months which was quite enough for me.

As a planner I thought I'd never look for another job again, until they decided to make an example of a manager by sacking him.

We had other managers in from far to try and put things back on track but all they did was back stab about us to our remaining manager. Unfortunately he had no back bone and was a yes sir how high should I jump for you.

He backed the wrong staff member and allowed a good worker to be bullied by the managers who had come in to help.

This company needs to follow their own ethos and values as they expect the staff to.
Pros
Good pay scale
Cons
Felt victimised, bullied, no support, no structure, no backbone from managers
Ground down continually
Multi trade (Former Employee) –  West Midlands14 August 2016
Absolute joke company, run by yes men managers without any idea of the construction trade, and only interested in bull targets and box ticking, pretend to be strict on h/s but just another box to tick, never witnessed a farce like it in my whole adult career.
JOKERS
Pros
Regular wage
Cons
Long days travellinv forced to do callout.
Selfish poor management.
Skilled Worker (Former Employee) –  West Midlands27 July 2016
I had worked for this company for 7 years and managed to escape.
The management are the worst I have ever come across in 30 years of working on the tools.
They thrive on bully tactics and 'you will be made to do it' attitude stinks.
They emphasise on h&s but this is only to suit the paper work.
Tight on ppe and materials. The cheaper the better does not work when 2 months later you are going back to change a defective part.
Save the stress and look elsewhere.
Pros
Regular wage
Cons
Read the list
Blame driven culture
Assistant Build Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham26 June 2016
I joined as a graduate with a little experience. I was told in my interview "I would use everything I learned in university" so was very happy to join.

Once I joined it became clear the management had no interest in letting a graduate be part of their failing team, and was left to do the jobs they didn't want to do or had no interest in. One of these jobs were the health and safety paperwork, which is extremely important, but I was made to feel obsolete and left out of important conversatations. I had just graduated with a first class degree, but was made to feel stupid by senior mangers in front of other people, which was only to make themselves look better.

The health and safety records were also ignored, which meant any problems on site I did pick up during my inspections, were left unactioned by senior management, and anything that cost them a bit of money was rejected.

A really rubbish company, any graduate should look elsewhere.
Pros
Hard to think of anything good. Didn't like it one bit
Cons
No communication between seniors and juniors, information not shared. Juniors are used as scapegoats
Challenged and empowered
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  London6 May 2016
Really enjoyable company to work for- great people and I feel respected and empowered to get on with my job. The company is constantly trying to improve things and adapt and change with the times.
Pros
Empowered, challenged and good benefits
Great Employer
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Letchworth Garden City23 April 2015
I loved my time at Willmott Dixon. There was a fantastic culture within the business and enjoyed going to work each day. Lots of emphasis on training and development.
good job
Carpentry (Former Employee) –  London, ENG30 January 2015
go to site get tools and ppe and main work going on at the time was fitting joist onto a balcony so cutting 6x2s to fit into and balcony frame and then ply over them to be fitted onto building
i was with this company while doing my apprenticeship and then they took me on after and i learnt quite a lot of different ideas and ways to do certain jobs on site
co-workers was from the same apprenticeship as me and same age group so got on well because we knew each other from apprnticeship
Pros
Cons
most of my money was spent on travel and i was still getting apprenticeship wage
A positive company with family values
Project Administrator (Current Employee) –  South London13 July 2012
No two days are the same ensuring a diverse & interesting workload. Being responsible for progress photographs enables me to keep apprised of the build and an opportunity to interface with subcontractors.

Having an autonomous role has afforded me a new direction, whilst moving into housing has brought a new dimension of construction
Pros
an opportunity to extend my personal skills, good management
Cons
no direction to progress