William Hill Employee Reviews

I loved this job
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  North London, UK9 December 2018
Best job I ever had. A lot of overtime available.

• Met targets and pushed sales, in order to promote new games, membership cards and increase customer loyalty
• Devised plans with store manager and team, to come up with strategic ways to beat local competitors on high street via in-store customer competitions, and offering tea, coffee and snacks
• Responsible for closing and opening shop, cash handling and handling figures when store manager was away on holiday or off etc
• Providing excellent customer service and dealing with customer queries and complaints
• Product knowledge and awareness of policies and any law changes
• Training of new staff
This company is HORRENDOUS to work for.
CSA (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands6 December 2018
Do not listen to the advertisement of how good this place is to work. They are advertising because most members of staff leave because it is so terrible. Long hours, rubbish pay, no work/life balance. I worked here for 6 years and am so happy to not work here anymore. The dangers of working in a bookies isn't worth the money. Customer threats, windows being shot at and a lot of night time robberies. Don't apply here!
Pros
some nice customers and staff
Cons
literally everything else
Do not apply for william hill!!!!!
Customer Experience Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham1 December 2018
I only lasted 6 months there due to the company making me ill.
#1I was a relief cea, I was put in a shop that reached between 35-40 degrees Celsius in the summer with no open windows. I was sick 2 shifts and a row, I asked to go home both times and was told no. The first time I had to stay there. The second time instead of letting me leave, I was put in another shop to work even longer hours knowing I was ill.
#2 you feel pressured into over time. Not only by having 5 calls in a row asking you if you want over time and you’d already said no the first time, but also by the fact that if you live alone... you’re better on benefits than there diabolical low wages for CEA’s.
#3 they waste money sending out backs of wagons wheels and gold bars in advertising packs but can’t afford to give their older shops a bit of TLC.
#4 even if you know for a fact that someone has either got a gambling problem or can’t actually afford the bet their putting on, you are not allowed to refuse service unless they selfban. HOW DISGUSTING IS THAT? All we were told to do was pass them a leaflet. WE STILL HAD TO TAKE MONEY FROM THEM KNOWING THEY HAD AN ISSUE THEY JUST COULDN’T SEE IT!
#5 the mystery shopper thing is a scam. I was described as a red head and told him to play a fish game on the machines... I didn’t even know there was a fish game on the machine.
#6 the staff are not as appreciated as they should be.
#7 the mess around with (or even forget to pay) over time you do. If you do a 6th day to get your time and half... they mess around with it somehow so they don’t end up paying it
  more... you.
#8 when you finally get lucky enough to leave the company, they don’t pay you everything you’re owed and if you have any holiday left... those days just magically disappear.
#9 now this is my final one but this is the most important point. In there job advertisements they boast saying “shifts so you can make the most of your home and your work life” that’s the biggest load of lies I’ve ever seen. At one points I worked a full month without getting a day in the weekend off, I was on late closing shifts every single day baring my first 2 weeks that I worked there. I never had a decent home/work balance and there are a few people who were the same as me.

So I repeat DO NOT apply for this horrible company!
Pros
There’s always a never ending supply of pens.
Cons
Everything.
ok
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester25 November 2018
can work long hours depending on which shop you are located in. the people make the company. sometimes recognised but mostly not. it involves data entry, customer service and compliance
Pros
varied shifts
Cons
long shifts
very productive
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Worksop, Nottinghamshire21 November 2018
i enjoyed working for the company but remembering everything important when your on a time limit and very awkward customers. the pay is not good for the type of job you do.
Pros
no pro
Cons
long hours little pay
Awful Environment
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside21 November 2018
Whilst I am studying at university, I thought this would be a good job to see me through. However, whilst telling management that I can’t do any overtime as I’m third year, I’ve been put in double my contracted hours for the past few weeks.

There’s multiple times whereby I didn’t feel safe in work due to aggressive customers and the pay doesn’t even validate the stress and frustration that you are put under with the job, whether that be customers or management.

I’ve been here for 18 months and I constantly helped with the overtime where possible, sometimes doing 50 hour weeks. Yet when giving in holidays and requesting days off, I get told that it isn’t available to have off.

I believe in if you was to treat your employees correctly and meet the majority of their needs, the company would be a smooth and a less stressful environment.
Pros
Can go to the shop whenever you want, when other person comes in
Cons
Long hours, treated awfully
horrible place to work
SHOP MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Liverpool11 November 2018
poor pay,
bad management,
under valued,

DO NOT apply for a job here unless you're really desperate. a job is a job if you need money but if u want to be happy stay away from any position in williamhill.
Pros
Cons
long hours, no work if balance
Fun workplace
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire11 November 2018
Good if you want a variety in terms of shift patterns. Great if you like sport and customer service interaction. You have to be prepared to deal with some difficult or aggressive customers at times if they loose a bet. So confidence and assertiveness is necessary.
Pros
Flexible working, sporting environment
Cons
Working Christmas and Bank Holidays
Excellent experience
Sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Earls Court10 November 2018
William hill has helped me improve in maths, a subject I wasn’t confident in, having to regularly count money weather it being giving change to a customer or paying out a customer, the experience itself as allows me to do a lot of quick maths in my head. Also when left to work by my self it has given me lots of independence as it give me the opportunity to be my own boss and learn new things by myself. It teaches you to have a lot of patience as there are times where your patience is tested, overall it’s a very good and layed back job to have, you’ve just gotta have patience and be ready to learn a lot at once.
Pros
Discount on many websites
Cons
A lot to learn
A draining job filled with false promises.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Midlands9 November 2018
The training used to be industry leading. The value for customers used to be industry leading. "Used to" being the primary words there.
"Thrown in at the deep end" and "bullied to get desired words are more apt.
They love to promise promotions but at best you are at the back of a very long queue. Upper manager do not care at all about individual staff. Work life balance is non existent as you will be expected to to drop plans to cover surrounding shops. Long shifts and quite often no breaks, even the legally required ones.
Pros
Min wage but over time gets paid
Cons
Long hours, zero upper management support
Don’t even bother
Customer Experience Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cornwall8 November 2018
I should’ve known at the interview that the job was going to be awful. The person that was supposed to be interviewing me... DIDNT TURN UP. I waited for 45 minutes and nobody turned up. I was then given two completely different reasons as to why they didn’t turn up, such obvious lies to save their own skin. After arranging and doing another interview, I got the 25 hour contract job. 25 hours turned into 45 hours with no warning whatsoever. After 3 weeks I decided to quit because my in-shop rota was completely different to my RotaGeek app, my boss was clearly trying to set me up for failure. Now that I’ve left the job, I still haven’t received a payslip, I’ve been paid HALF of what I’m owed and my ex boss is avoiding ALL of my calls and texts. I’d rather get the plague than work for this company again. If you’re thinking of joining William Hill, don’t even bother.
Pros
Security if needed
Cons
Literally everything else
fun place to work
customer service worker (Current Employee) –  Ballymoney, County Antrim8 November 2018
a typical day is interacting with customers on a daily bases my job is all about socialising with the customers and giving them tea and coffee and helping with any betting issues they have. I have learned a lot about different sports and also how to calculate odds and customers winnings. I enjoy every aspect ofmy job.
cleaner (Current Employee) –  Petersfield, Hampshire7 November 2018
i enjoy working on my own
gets me up early in the morning
fun place to work
able to listen to the radio
get to have cups of tea
i have leaned how to get things done on time
Wouldn't Recommend
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh1 November 2018
I worked for William Hill for 18 months, wasn't all bad but I wouldn't recommend it as a job.

It probably suits students more as it can be pretty flexible with hours for back shift but not for your normal full time every day job.

It 100% depends on what the managers are like in each shop. I worked in 3 different shops in total and in 1 of them the manager was very selfish and constantly took weekends off and never done any late nights. In another shop, the manager was the opposite and done his fair share of nights and weekends like the rest of us and was always willing to help cover any shifts if you wanted them off for something.

Quite easy to work your way up as so many people leave they will essentially encourage anyone to do the job but the pay isn't worth the hassle or stress.

A lot of loan manning, depending on area you can get a lot of abuse from customers and some shops didn't have security screen or a safe place if anything did happen.

Overall, I didn't have it as bad as some have but I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it at all.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Long hours, not good pay, not always safe.
Shocking
CEM (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 October 2018
The retail arm of the company is in disarray.
The overworked, underpaid, disinterested staff are probably at breaking point.
They just employ anybody now just to get their shops open and a lot of them don't stay long.
There are more vacancies available but they don't advertise them all at once hence making things look better than they actually are.
2300 shops and probably a thousand vacancies, 1 for every 2.3 shops at least, says it all really.
The best staff have or probably will be leaving for pastures new in the near term.
Staff having to mess about with Yammer in shop.Yammer doesn't pay the rent. Results pay the rent. No results to be gained from Yammer, It's just to try and boost morale.
Pay peanuts get monkeys. Happy days.
Pros
Not much really
Cons
Where do I start?
Fun workplace and Exciting
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 October 2018
Members of management are very helpful and they aim to help you feel comfortable and confident within your workplace.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing your regulars and team members, which makes the job more fun because you've built up a great working relationship with them.
Used to be a great job
Business Performance Manager (Current Employee) –  West Midlands24 October 2018
Absolute joke of a company since restructuring 18 months ago. Managers were given 8k paycuts or take another job called "BPM" where instead of managing 1 shop you are managing up to 10 shops and 50 staff for the same money. Higher management especially those up in head office are so out of touch with the feeling of retail staff, we are so demotivated. Work life balance is non existence, no days off in my case, constantly working from home when not at work.
Pros
Work with some great people who understand how draining the job gets
Cons
Expected to be available 24/7
the worst job ever
Duty manager (Current Employee) –  London22 October 2018
It was the worst job i ever had. There were no breaks ever, you were expected to do overtime by force and if you were to ever dispute that then they'll punish you as if you were a child. Management never respect you and the pay is absolutely rubbish.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Longhours, lack of communication
It'll Do
Customer Service Assistant/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands19 October 2018
Needed a job and this was the first thing that came along, pay is okay although its shift work and some of the places you have to go to are not in great locations.

Its a good stop gap.

Beats being homeless.
Pros
tips
Cons
angry customers
Easy work, great colleagues, awful management.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol15 October 2018
Overall work was alright, day to day tasks not too boring, a lot of the punters are actually really funny people to get to know. most colleagues i worked with were great! The biggest issue was management, the way they treated their staff was shocking, made you work as much as possible, dropping overtime hours on you last minute, making you feel guilty if you said no, asked for "favours all the time" and then never being helpful when asking for a little in return.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at William Hill. Our community is ready to answer.