William Hill Employee Reviews

Exciting work place and enjoyed working there.
Broadcasting (Former Employee) –  Leeds15 January 2018
Learned new IT skills including chart analysis on excel or word.
Working with commentary teams was the most enjoyable part of the job which allowed me to see how the media and broadcasting sector worked and how media can influence people in there daily lives.
Pros
Working with others, help when needed of colleges
Cons
Long days. However easy to adapt to.
Horrible place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 January 2018
the people you meet are nice but the managers and higher up dont care about you alot of the time you are left yourself (when your still a trainee) and the abuse you get on a daily basis is horrible i wouldnt wish this job on anyone AVOID !!!!
Pros
Cons
long hours no social life horrible customers managers dont care
energetic workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Belsize Park Station11 January 2018
the company was a nice environment to work in. the customers, including people who work around William hill, are people that enjoy each others company, making it an easy environment to work in.
Terrible work life balance.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Southend, Essex9 January 2018
Salary isnt great for the work involved, they pay the least out of all the high street bookmakers, i also find myself doing one or more 14 hour long shifts in one day a week.
Enjoyed working there
CUSTOMER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Shepherds Bush w.129 January 2018
A fun and busy shop atmosphere with plenty to keep you busy.
Customers chatting ,making tea for them.
Helping place their bets an making sure the payouts were correct,
Pros
Always something differnt going on.
Cons
A fun place for fun and real life experience
Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London8 January 2018
Working as Compliance Investigator allowed me to increase my fluency in the Microsoft suite (especially in Excel and Word). During this time, I also was able to exercise my intuition as when there was and area of concern it was then escalated or highlighted - then being able to report with stakeholders and engage them through the right comms.
Pros
Free travelcard from zone 1 to 6
Cons
Great banter with the customers
Manager (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire5 January 2018
I have enjoyed working for William Hill but don't agree with all of the rules and regulations like single maning at night which I feel is not safe.
Also I believe the wage is very low for what is expected of you.
Pros
Banter with customers
Cons
single maning, wages, long days sometimes without a break, short staff coverage.
Opportunities to progress
Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire4 January 2018
Good opportunities to move up from new starter to management. Poor pay however.
Unsociable and poor hourly structure.
Interesting at times but thankless
Great customers
Business Performance Manager (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen3 January 2018
The regular customers and shop staff are what makes this company great to work for. However the pay is not justified for all the work they put in to their work.
Pros
Shop Staff
Cons
Not paid enough
Repetitive but straightforward work
Customer Experience Advisor (Former Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London1 January 2018
I enjoyed this job as I have an interest in sport and I am sociable. Depending on what branch your in will affect how busy you are and how challenging customers may be.
Pros
Flexible working early or late shifts
Cons
Little opportunity to advance
Awful avoid
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  North East1 January 2018
Would give the management minus 5* if I could... Long lone working hours, basic human rights violated, you cant phone in sick because your BPM will not arrange cover. My Management had an unprofessional, disgusting attitude. Can't have a day off without someone from William Hill phoning you constantly. Staff stress causes arguments amongst ourselves in shop because lack of cover if we need time off after working 8 days in a row. Being asked half way through your shift to go to another shop to finish someone else's night shift is a common occurrence.BPM comes into your shop demanding unrealistic tasks. If you do work for William Hill turn your phone off when you have a day off
Pros
Tea and coffee on tap for free
Cons
The coffee isn't even nice... Go figure
Avoid like the plague!
CEM (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands31 December 2017
Where to start!by far THE WORST company I've ever had the misfortune to be involved with. The upper management are a bunch of incompetent fools who have never worked in shop so are clueless to the practicalities of their 'compliance procedures'. Expect you to quiz a customer about their losses whilst they're having a break down and threatening to kill you and your family!! Left on your own for hours on end with the constant thought that at any moment some nutter will run in brandishing a weapon and attempt to rob you, particularly around xmas time. I could go on and on. I must say that anyone giving this company more than 1 star really need to widen their work experience. Trust me, this really is NOT how the vast majority of other industries operate towards their staff.
nothing to say
Customer Experience Advisor (Former Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire28 December 2017
my review is based on 11 years of service within this company i was never aloud to further my career from cashier to managment as was always made to feel i was not good enough as i am the type of person who says it how it is unless you are willing to brown nose the area managers or BPMs you will never get anywhere or unless you are very good friends with managment.
Pros
Cons
no life forced to take holidays when it suits them
Only work for this company if you're happy to be a donkey
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenford21 December 2017
Worked there for 3 years as CSM, paid incorrectly for 11 months of those. 'Higher' management are spineless weasels who show no respect for decent staff. Depending on an individuals characteristics it can be a nice atmosphere to work in, plenty of banter knocking about and always meeting new faces.
Literally just the scum that manage Hills make it an unpleasant company to work for.
Pros
Travelcard, flexibility and social
Cons
Long shifts, AWFUL management, peanut wages
It is A fun place to meet new people and learn a lot
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 December 2017
Atypical day at work would be me either opening the shop in the early morning or i would be coming in at 12 just to cashier for my manager.
I Learned how to open and close the store also i learned how to calculate bets myself if the system was down. To the customers my tea making skills was also improving.
The hardest part of the job would of been the learning of how to calculate the winnings from the odds that has been set.
I really enjoyed the company people it was great the meeting new people and interacting with them i built a lot of new friendships.
Pros
It was out of the area so it was a get away from where i live
Cons
Fraudsters
Friendly and Warm
CEM (Current Employee) –  Connahs Quay, Flintshire19 December 2017
Always a good day working for William Hill, everyday is different and new challenge to complete always presents itself, spending time getting to know the customers is always the best part of the job.
Change to Bureaucratic management negative for employees
Management (Current Employee) –  Lancashire18 December 2017
I joined the organisation 5 years ago and have seen many changes in the way in which it operates.

I went to university in order to develop my career with a hope at staying at the companyand progressing through the ranks, however in light of the recent structural changes within the past year, it is a prospect I no longer wish to pursure and although asked to train to become a BPM, I feel they are undersupported, overstretched and underpaid.

Managers have had all sense of empowerment ripped away and are subsequently supervisors with limited, if any discretionary powers.
Pros
Colleagues & Holiday entitlement
Cons
limited career prospects & earnings
Not the best
Customer Service Assistant, Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Wembley, Greater London17 December 2017
Work life balance is somewhat reasonable but depending on which shop you are in, it can be difficult to work. Some of the management can be very unreasonable and make work that much harder for everyone. The hourly pay is decent but no benefits apart from a travelcard which you pay 50p/m and still get taxed on it depending on your travel usage/
Decent Role
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Baker Street6 December 2017
Very flexible and relaxed working hours. Good for developing cash handling skills and interpersonal skills as you get the opportunity to build a rapport with customers daily.
Excellent customer service
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Royal Leamington Spa, UK4 December 2017
Taking and paying out bets to the customers.
Making sure shop floor was clean and tidy.
Arranging the float for the day and at end of the day making sure the receipts matched what money was taken in a day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at William Hill. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4