William Hill Employee Reviews

Heaven for gamblers
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire11 July 2018
Staff and Management ok. Relaxed atmosphere at work, no one follows the rules, but will create file on you to be able to fire you at any point and time. Great for people who love sports and social life, people who want progress, development and growth, might get degraded.
Pros
customers tip well
Cons
boring labour
worst job i have ever had
Cashier/Sales Assistant/Manager (Current Employee) –  Dewsbury9 July 2018
been here for 3 years and had so much happen to me from hot coffee thrown in my face to being screamed at on a daily basis. there is no work life balance what so ever and if someone phones in sick your expected to run your shop alone without a break or if you are lucky enough to get a break management only come in for 15mins so you can empty the machines. its a joke of a place to work for avoid at all costs unless you dont value your social life.
Pros
co workers
Cons
bpms and higher management dont care at all about you
if you want a life don't apply
Customer Experience Advisor (Former Employee) –  North London, Greater London6 July 2018
I worked for the company for nearly 2 years and literally had no choice but to leave In the end. The job description states "you'll work in shifts so you can make the most of your home and work life" which is a total lie. I started off as a cashier then after 4/5 months I became a 2.5 (managing in shop, opening and closing) and the hours can be very draining. working from 8:30am-10:30pm on your own all day can effect you mentally and physically especially when you don't have the full support of management. The Bpm's (business performance manger) have very little consideration for staff when it comes to home life and working hours, they'd expect you to come in if your leg was hanging off basically. shifts and shop locations are changed last minute and sometimes have to cover another shop thats completely out of area which can be an issue if your working till late. I wouldnt recommend this company to work for unless you've not got an interest with living life out of work and just want to earn good money.
Pros
exceptional salary
Cons
ridiculous hours
worst place to work
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands28 June 2018
if you want to be underpaid and have no social life then go work for William hill managers are lazy and don't care about you but then again what managers do, plus they don't train you up.
Pros
sleep in the back and wifi
Cons
the job
Difficult and different
Customer Experience Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands27 June 2018
When I first joined, I was coming from outside the industry. The training provided from upper management isn't that good, you'll have to travel all the way to the regional office (in my case edgington) to have 3 paid training days, of which only compliance and a basic guide of how bets work is learnt. Most of the training takes place in store, I was lucky enough to have two experienced CEMs teach me. The work/life balance isn't too good, a lot of the time you'll be called up to cover someone else's shift last minute and it gets to a point where saying no is looked down upon. The company pushes quite a lot of promotions which are hard to keep track of, in my personal opinion we don't get paid enough to deal with everything that we have to do, including making tea and coffees constantly, cleaning the store, swapping promotions and marketing everyday, watching out for banned/self excluded customers and fraudsters, dealing with abusive customers and also trying to please management while dealing with customer disputes, handling money and anything else that comes our way. Additionally, lone working is also another negative of the job, as it can be quite worrying working in a shop with quite a lot of cash and abusive customers for a long sum of time, not to mention that if there isn't anyone available to cover your break (when lone working), then you won't be allowed to take your break as leaving the store is an sackable offence. Speaking of time, whose looking for a managers role (known as CEM) might find themselves doing a 845am till 10pm shift with only 1 hour break.

While
  more... I have definitely made quite a lot of negative points, benefits of the job include working with quite a selection of people whom of which are knowledgeable and will teach you a lot about the industry. Additionally, if you are a fast typer you'll find translating (entering the bet into the computer database) an easy breeze. Not to mention that anyone who is great with mathematics will have a breeze. Free coffee is also a benefit, along with plenty of overtime (if you need it), paid holiday for your birthday, air conditioned store and also somewhat comfy chairs. For any smokers, its down to the choice of your duty manager, but a lot of the time smoking is allowed during shifts bearing in mind you keep it quick, the only time you won't be able to smoke is either if you're lone working, or after 7pm (in which case you won't be able to leave the store). Personally as a smoker I find the work place smoker friendly. Think hard and clearly before applying, if you can deal with abusive customers and a lot of overtime (paid at a current rate of £7.83 for Cashiers) then go for the job, if not then consider another industry. This job might be good for any students looking for part time jobs, better then zero hour contracts definitely!  less
Pros
Free coffee, possibly a good option for part time students looking for a job.
Cons
Long hours, lone working, management constantly on case, last minute requests for overtime, poor pay.
top job
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire21 June 2018
working for william hill was a pleasure no 2 days the same and i would still be there if hadnt relocated.
staff and management fun approachable and human
mixed hoiurs to suit personal preference.
top pay for rhe role.
Pros
great career to suit all personal goals/ work preferences
Cons
no contact centres close to me
You can work your way up fast
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands19 June 2018
I began working for William Hill in December of 2017 and as of March 2018 I've been a manager. Downside is you deal with aggressive customers and have to work alone a lot of the time. Pay is good.
Pros
good pay
Cons
aggressive customers
good Training
Cashier/Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Islington15 June 2018
William hill is one of the strongest bookies to provide a very high standard of training. this allows you to have the required knowledge to fulfill your job role to the best of yiur abililties
Pros
training
Cons
no support from manangement
Horrible place to work
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Paisley, Renfrewshire13 June 2018
I worked for William hill for 15 long years and grew to hate place so I may be a bit bias. There is no such thing as a work life balance you are William hill property and will be treated as such. If you refuse to do an overtime shift you will be disciplined no matter what your reasons for being unable to drop everything the min they call! You will be working on your own most of the time in volatile situations. Think your shift finishes at 6 and someone will be in to take over from you? think again no one will turn up and if you leave you will be threatened will dismissal.
Pros
Cons
horrible management
Shocking
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire11 June 2018
For a market leader the place is a total joke. This is a very insular company where the staff look down on anyone who joins the company from outside the industry.The structured classroom training is under redevelopment and , in my experience was delivered by passionate people who recognise the need for Hills to change and bring in new people, however the workbook based instore training turns out to be a joke if your allocated a mentor with no skillset or intrest in training.There appears to be only a small differential in pay betwen cashiers and managers and not a great deal more for the BPM role, hence, you pay monkeys and you get peanuts.A lot of the resentment from the current staff stems from the restructuring that resulted in a lot of long serving managers suffering considerable income drops
Pros
variety of hours can work for you
Cons
most of it
nice place to work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Petersfield, Hampshire7 June 2018
nice place to work
still getting used to the colour codes with the mobs and buckets
i enjoy cleaning at William hill
i can listen to my radio
just get on with the cleaning
Not great if you want a life
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  South East London, Greater London3 June 2018
Fellow staff are great. Higher ups not so much. They care about profit over staff its not worth all the hassle and grief you have to piut up with for rubbish pay.
interesting
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear20 May 2018
hard work required, must be prepared to work anytime from 8am to 10pm most weekends and bank holidays. After training will be required to open and close shop alone. Often get calls asking to work on days off and shifts get changed by others too easily.
BUT chatting to punters and the banter with them and staff is brill
fun
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  London19 May 2018
same thing different day but the customers and shops we work in always bring a new feel to the work place. its fun to work with so many different people in relation to staff and customers.
Pros
customers
fun place to work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Petersfield17 May 2018
i enjoy cleaning there
a good morning every day
work 4 days a week
gives me something that is worth getting up early for
it gives me my own Independence
William Hill are the market leaders within the industry
Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  London16 May 2018
The culture at William Hill is very progressive and open with fantastic opportunities for individuals to sucseed and develop into their roles with excellent promotional avenues.
Pros
Great opportunities for promotion
Cons
Very few, work life balance can be a challenge.
Great environment
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Merseyside12 May 2018
Enjoy working for William hill, great company has looked after me well. Untill poor health has forced me into dropping my hours unable to carry on but William hill have been very supportive through it all
Pros
Stress free
Cons
Underpaid, lone working
not a fun place
Deputy Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  London6 May 2018
Didnt enjoy working - strict and take unreasonable action on staff which puts you off, you think more about the things that can go against you and would rather shut up than speak your mind up or feel motivated enough to do anything for the company, does not encourage a sense of belongingness and no recognition for good work. there are better companies out there in the same sector
Decent workplace
Manager (Current Employee) –  Llanelli1 May 2018
The staff whom I worked with were brilliant but the work life balance found me spending 70% of my time in work. Also I found myself working alone alot of the time which shouldn't have happened due to money handling and the nature of the job. I felt you put your all in for the company but they were quick enough to dispose of you.
Cons
Terrible place to work! Very stressful.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Merseyside29 April 2018
Area manager very sly and under handed. Never get a break, work and life balance shocking. Lone manning rules are very stupid. You are not allowed in the customer area whilst lone manning but they expect you to do work in the customer area whilst lone manning. Stupid! Not enough time to cash up at the end of shifts. This company is shocking! It is very stressful. My advice is avoid at all costs!!!
Pros
Natonal minimum wage for 18 year olds.
Cons
Bad management, single manning, no break time.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at William Hill. Our community is ready to answer.