William Hill

William Hill Employee Reviews

United Kingdom913 reviews
Stressful
yes there were times you barely done anything during the day, due to it being quiet but a lot of the confrontation was more stressful than what it was worth
Pros
Sit down all day
Cons
Racism from customers, rubbish pay.
Relaxed work environment but mixed management
Other than big days like grand national it is a relaxed job to have.

Depending on your manager, can be an enjoyable job.

Easy to work your way up to a manager
Disastrous environment
Government regulation changes coupled with a dying industry = don’t keep staff informed and make them fear for their employment every day...smooth!

They needed to cut the workforce anyway. But there’s nothing worse than them going out of their way to put pressure on you to get rid of you so that redundancies don’t happen.

Pay was awful given the hours and lack of any sort of flexibility. Hours at a time completely left on your own (every other bookies had got rid of lone manning, these guys embraced it until the store got robbed/attacked. ONLY THEN would safety changes happen.

They’ve suffered the most on the high street. There’s a reason why.
Job for students or near retirement age
It was a good experience for me as a foreigner in terms of boosting my knowledge about the industry and improving my management skills . Also I was lucky to have good direct managers to support me where was necessary, but unfortunately in my area wasn't important how good you are and what knowledge you have but who you knows. You can't progress if you dont get pushed by the higher up management
Lovely place and great team
I came here as a temp to help out but due to lockdown i was let go but would gladly go back and i really enjoyed the work, the team were great and the manager seemed to value my skills and experience.
Avoid unless there's nothing else
Avoid it like the corona virus, unless you're really desperate. You'll have to work with lazy and argumentative people and horrible customers for little wage.
Fast paced and exciting
A typical day can be quick and exciting. Loads of computer skills and customer experience knowledge. Hardest part of the job is dealing with difficult people but this can be rectified by learning and experiencing all different kinds.
Great experience
I did my best and get good experience in teaming and progressing customer services adapting to management orders and recommended policies to keep my self in trend of progress
Critical and dissociated management, but decent coworkers
Very stressful, poor training in technical elements, large focus on company targets without any nuance afforded for area/store/local customer preferences. Try to push you into higher positions immediately whether you would want to advance in the company or not, punishing you for not wanting to. Shifts would be either understaffed during busy periods or dead for weeks on end.

However, the coworkers in your store can be very nice (and in stores you cover in), and some of the customers could be lovely.
Don't work for them
Absolute terrible company to work for. No interest in staff welfare or work life balance management and procedures for lone working are absolutely terrible and unsafe
Okay
Okay place to work good staff. Wages was a bit lower than needed and didnt want to work weekends that's all. Was good dealing with clients and did enjoy it
Fast Working Environment
Working for William Hill can be different everyday. Some days it can be fairly slow, other days its like you can't keep up. Customers can be very friendly and some can be a pain, but its all about how you are with them.
Not as relaxed as it seems
Bad work to life balance due to antisocial working hours. Sometimes you’ll work without receiving a break due to constant short staff. Given way too many tasks but the pay is not reflecting the tasks. Job doesn’t make sense with the cashiers doing the same jobs as the managers but not being paid the same.
Boring and low paid
Extremely boring job, very long hours 8 am to 10 pm, management doesn't care about anything else other than shifts being covered, the worst parts of society are your daily customers.
Dont bother unless you are single and skint
No good for family life, they open 7 days a week 10- 10 and you will have to work any.timebetwen those hours, no consideration given to parents.i worked there 6 years, starting as a temporary cashier working up to relief deputy manager over 3 shops.
Pros
Cons
Long hours 7 day week
Not bad at all
Place is very flexible on days and hours. Many work benefits. Good place to progress and easy job. talking about football cant be that bad ;) There are lone night shifts but you get phone up and ring other shops they check on you too.
William no
No home life, made to feel guilty if asked to do extra and little thanks when you do. The job is easy enough but the hours give you no time to have a life outside work and you are frequently expected to work 14 hour shifts when no one to cover. Would not recommend to anyone , one of the worst companies to work for.
Great for students and part-timers, not for those looking for a career.
Abridged version: Great job for students and part timers, no realistic opportunity to progress past CEM or "store manager" into posts of higher pay and responsibility. Long working hours, a management culture of "sort it yourself" but potentially some of the best people of you'll ever meet - hopefully you survive the bookies intact, take the experience with you and flourish elsewhere.

I have been with William Hill for 4 years, while I was still in college. As a student the flexible hours were great and overtime was always available.

This should have, however, been a red flag, since a 12 hour contract was able to fill their downtime with 40-50 hours if they really wanted to - it showed how often we would be understaffed.

Training to be a duty manager meant I was able to work as a manager or a cashier, which was even better for flexibility while still in college. I was eventually approached by an area manager shortly after our restructuring (Read as - cuts from the bottom, High turnover/business shop managers were now being paid the same paltry rate as the former lowest grades).

After accepting what seemed to be a good move at the time into the shop manager role, which was changed to "Customer Experience Manager", I was given the opportunity to move from the quiet shop I had been moved to during my training as a CEM to one of our more high profile shops, which I believed to be a surefire stepping stone to progress further through the company.

Despite showing solid leadership skills, being popular amongst my colleagues and a huge depth of gambling and product knowledge
 - more...
Productive and fun workplace
Fast paced and fun place to work. I have a great work/home life balance with being able to work remotely. the most enjoyable part of the job is the people and the relationships you can make in the business.
Good
Enjoyed working at the betting shop and it taught me a lot of things. I liked the management , working in a team means you meet new people and it becomes a family,
Make a person feel like rubbish.
Not a good place to work. No WELLBEING department , never stand up for their employees. BPM no Qualifications but want to be-little there staff. And blame them for their staff for there mistake.