William Blair & Company Employee Reviews

Job Work/Life Balance not balanced at all
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NY8 February 2019
Commuting was too long. There seemed to be too many meetings and conference calls. A "dress for your day" policy was put into place which was nice. Working remotely was left up to your direct manager. If your manager didn't like you, you were not allowed to work remotely which is unfair,
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Commute
Positive in some aspects
Middle Office Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL20 December 2018
There are many kind people working at William Blair and benefits are great. One thing I would recommend is paving a clear path for job advancement so they can stay with the company.
Wonderful place to work
Administrative Assistant Compensation and Benefits (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL25 October 2018
Wonderful place to work.
Great coworkers.
Amazing benefits.
Could have better work/life balance.
Hands on upper management.
Company trying hard to engage employees.
Old school company with no chance for advancement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL25 September 2018
If you are an administrative assistant you better like your job, because you will never be promoted to be anything else. Admins are treated like admins and that's all they are and ever will be. No tuition reimbursement.
Pros
Year end bonus
Cons
Long hours, no room to advance, can be stressful or very slow, depending on the day.
Administrative Assistant to Partners (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 September 2018
This is a great company. I had a lot of duties while supporting 3 to 4 partners. I learned a lot in the 15+ years I was there. They offered profit sharing, bonuses and a great benefits package.
Pros
Cost of Living Increases, paid vacation, nice people
Cons
Slim growth potential as far as job positions
Struggling to modernize
FACILITIES MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Chicago11 September 2018
Women don’t make partner here, the firm is old school but trying to change. The technology is not modern but trying to change. The new building is beautiful.
Pros
Beautiful building, stable growing company.
Cons
Advancement is limited especially for women and minorities.
Great company
Executive Assistant / Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL2 July 2018
All the executives and managers I worked with were very kind and generous to me. I had so much fun working there. I work enviroment was busy. I loved it.
Nice office, not great for career advancement
Developer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 June 2018
William Blair is a decent company to work for as long as you are happy with the position you were hired for and have no aspirations for career advancement. They usually hire from the outside rather than promote from within. Pay is good and offices are new and great.
Warm Global Investing Banking for with pleasant people.
Executive Assistant tinEquity Research (Former Employee) –  New York, NY10 June 2018
William Blair is a well known Investment Banking firm with a very stellar reputation in the financial industry and very committed to their clients as well as Philanthropy work.

I Assisted The Equity Research Team with Heavy Calendar Management, Expenses, and Intense domestic and International Travel.
Pros
Pleasant Staff, Upbeat people
Cons
Didn't feel I was paid enough for the number of people I assisted.
competitive workplace which rewards hard work
Portfolio Investment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL2 April 2018
The overall firm is a great place with a very good reputation. It really comes down to who you work with and how you are treated. I felt my talents and personal attributes were not fully appreciated.
Good stable company
Executive Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL22 March 2018
William Blair is a good place to work as they are very stable and conservative. They need to make more changes to be in line with other companies regarding diversity in upper management and throughout the culture at William Blair.

They have good benefits and a lot of great people that work there.
Pros
Beautiful new building to work in with many amenities for their employees
Cons
Hard work; long hours
Employees Work Hard
Data Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL13 January 2018
The William Blair Culture is welcoming and competitive. The firm and its managers truly care about you.
Great benefits and beautiful new headquarters in Chicago.
Respectful, Friendly people to work with
Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL6 January 2018
During my 4 years working at William Blair was a pleasure and my coworkers were always great people. They were respectful, kind and friendly people and I would reconsider at some point in the future working with them again if I get an opportunity. I learned many things like setting up conference rooms, filing, and communicating with people. One difficult thing I remember is setting up conference rooms when meetings would happen back to back.
Pros
free food
Cons
keeping yourself busy when it was not too busy
Very helpful-Customer Service-High volume calendar management
Investment Banking Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL27 November 2017
Calendars, travel, expenses. worked with teams well
Informed staff of updates-Diversified culture
working on 8 managers calendars, working with people
Pros
Healthcare, eye, dental, and life insurance-
Cons
They over hire sometimes
Slow paced work place with no room for advancedment
Administrative Assistant - Investment Banking (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL8 October 2017
As an assistant I was there for about two years and there's no room for advancement. If you want a slow paced job that isn't as challenging as most and don't want to move up then this is the position for you. The benefits are great though and I did work with some great people. The new building on the river is also a plus.
William Blair and Company LLC
Administrative/Marketing Support (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL12 January 2017
A typical day starts with discussion with supervisor regarding the days activities and assignments. Learned various computer skills.
Management is is always available for discussion regarding the day's assignments. Enjoyed meeting and working with fellow, knowledgeable employees. The most enjoyable part of the position is management acknowledgement of daily assignment completion.
Pros
Positive interaction with management. Excellent benefits package.
Cons
Inability to fully explain departure to human resources.
Professional Career, Old School Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL28 December 2016
William Blair & Company offers a great career if you are wiling to work hard to succeed. The old school feel of this company may be intimidating to some, but there are excellent opportunities if you can get past that.
Productive and challenging workplace with great people
Business Intelligence/Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL29 October 2015
The people at Blair are their greatest asset. Smart, funny, and great to work with are just the start of what can be said about everyone.

The work is dynamic and the environment is fast-paced and competitive. There are times when it can be a challenge to keep up with the demands of the job.

Overall, management works hard to make sure the workforce is informed and knows where the company is going. They have great plans for the future and are growing.
great place to work
equity research associate (Current Employee) –  chicago26 August 2015
I really appreciate everything WB has to offer. They definitely give you the tools to succeed. Very mid-western bank with solid core values.
Challenging work environment
Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL10 April 2015
Friendly people, needs to be more of a learning environment, hard to move up in company, great benefits package and compensation, job security