Wilko Employee Reviews

Found 1,249 reviews matching the search See all 1,274 reviews
customer service
Cashier/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire20 January 2019
Helping your work colleagues and customers.
Making sure customers are happy and well looked after whilst doing their shopping.
Management there has been many changes over the last year.
Mixed relgion and ethic culture.
There are no points to raise with regard to hardest part of the job.
Enjoyable part is work colleagues and repeat customers.
Pros
discount
Cons
late nightsw
Horrible
Customer Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire19 January 2019
do not get a job here!
management are horrible so are staff. they involve themselves in everyone elses business.
I suffered from depression and anxiety while here and the whoel staff made me feel worse. management were horrible with the situation and had a go a me for not going into one of my shifts because I was feeling so low. apparanlty it wasn't a good enough reason, even hough I gave them plenty of warning.

horrible atmosphere, you hace to do all the work while everyone else gosspis, then get moaned at for not completing tasks when you have 6 to do alone.
Pros
Cons
Everything!
Poor management
Temporary contracted staff (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk18 January 2019
The job is okay for a first job but after being there for a while it's just gone downhill, some of the management are not very approachable and will talk down on you making you feel awful.
The 3 hour shifts are not really worth it by time you've paid for bus ect that's most of that days wages gone but you will most likely always get 3 hours shifts.
They never have enough staff in or the Rota will not be done properly so you'll be asked on the day if you can stay later.. or they just assume and change the hours without asking before hand.
You are not told how to do things or what to do for that day your just expected to do it.
You are not trained properly just thrown on to a till/shop floor and the other staff are expected to show you how things are done when it should be the management/ supervisors who train you or you are just shown the basics.
If you are not popular with the management then you basically get pushed to the side like you don't matter.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Treated unfairly
Okay
Till and shop floor Staff. My duties (Former Employee) –  Preston16 January 2019
If you are contracted to 15 hours per week for example they give it you over five or six days so you're doing 3 or 4 hour shifts at a time which is really annoying.
productive and fun place
Berkshire)-cashier (Former Employee) –  Slough14 January 2019
typical day at work was fun and enjoyable
i learnt to be more confident with others and how to deal with matters
that ive never dealt with.
managment was really obtained really well.
the workplace culture was a mix of everything so it was nice to see
different cultures working and coming to shop.
hardest part of the job was when there wasnt a lot of till workers
custosmers would get fed up and just moan at us or shout, i learnt to be positive at all times calm them down.
most enjoyable part was to be getting paid having fun with the staff and managment team.
Pros
free lunches
rubbush
picker and packer, (Current Employee) –  Sheffield14 January 2019
to much work hours no time for a life, management was terrible thfn had to had to gat here ho now why yes no yes there noo please yes yes dayb say way they
Good as a part time job
CSA (Former Employee) –  Widnes, Cheshire11 January 2019
Typically I would do 3-8 hour shifts that consisted mainly of working on the tills. When the store was quiet I'd have to walk around putting items back on shelves or make the shop look tidy. Unfortunately I wasn't trained very well initially and had to figure a lot of it out myself. I learned basic cashier skills but wasn't given much to do that I hadn't done before. The job wasn't difficult as it was easy to get help from some members of the team.
Pros
Good weekend job while I was in education.
Cons
Questionable training and management.
Great second income
Evening merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Driffield, East Riding of Yorkshire8 January 2019
Evening merchandiser role is fairly simple to do, aslong as you are prepared to listen, and act accordingly.
Think in my opinion at my store we carried too much dead weight, for too long, in staff terms
Look elsewhere
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midlands6 January 2019
Typical Working Day:
You'll start your shift looking for someone to tell you what to do. After being told by numerous members of staff to go ask another, you'll finally give up and assist another member of staff until told otherwise. You'll more than likely be asked by a customer where something is every 5 seconds of your shift and then be asked by said customer to "Check in the back" despite the item having a 'Not stocked' label on the ticket. Till supervisor will be calling you and only you to go on a till because the members of staff that have been at the company for 20+ years will refuse to. While on the till you will receive moans and groans about the queue and that there's no staff. You'll also be expected to act as store security.

What you'll learn:
You'll quickly learn that people who have been at the company for years are faultless. They do their job perfectly and are the hardest working people in the store. Anyone younger than them or have been there less time than they have are useless. You'll learn that if things go wrong, it's always someone else's fault. When something is in the wrong location, it's ALWAYS the merchandiser's fault. ALWAYS- not the hundreds of people who work the warehouse trolleys during the day. You'll very quickly learn that working at Wilko will take you back to your high school days because you'll be witness to (and more likely the subject of) infantile gossip. If you're lucky, you'll might be till trained.

Management:
Sometimes you'll catch a rare glimpse of your store manager on his/her way in or way out of the shop. Even rarely,
  more... this mysterious creature might be seen on shop floor for a short period of time to check on their store because someone from higher up in the company is going to be visiting. If things aren't looking good, you'll soon hear about it because it'll be your fault. If things do look good, you won't be given a pat on the back. The manager of the store is there to purely keep his/her chair in the office warm- this is achieved by watching his/her staff on the security cameras for hours on end.

Workplace Culture:
As specified above, you simply cannot compete with older members of staff- they are the martyrs of the store and work tirelessly to put right the blunders that other members of staff have caused. God forbid you should ever use a black pen to write a reduced price on an item. There would be mass murder.

Hardest Part of the Job:
Summoning the energy to have to go to work and deal with such a toxic environment.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job:
Going home.

If you really are in need of a job, by all means go for it but don't plan on staying there for long. You'll soon come to realise that there is VERY limited room for progression and you'll be expected to be available for every kind of shift. You won't be given the same shifts every week. There's no structure to the rota. Company won't last another 5 years.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Short shifts stretched across so many days, not enough staff, complaints from everyone
Excellent place to work and good job prospects if wanting to expand your career within the company
Csa (Former Employee) –  Redcar5 January 2019
I worked at Wilkos for nearly 20 years and only left for a full time job . I loved the time I spent at wilko an enjoyable place to work with great people and customers and would love to go back if the opportunity arises
Pros
Pension, discount, holidays
Cons
More staff to get the job done
good company to work for
Head cashier (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands30 December 2018
The staff pulled together and worked well as a unit which made the job enjoyable.
Staff discount was good at 20%
They had an internal training system for customer service & health and safety that every one could do.
Always busy
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Bristol22 December 2018
The store is always busy and the staff have a habit of talking not working and having a bad attitude towards fellows employees and customers. You need a firm back bone to work here and survive.
You do get 20% discount tho!
Pros
discount
Cons
the staff
Worst place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton11 December 2018
poorest treatment of staff . Management don't inform about company policy changes . Undesirable place to work .

unpleasant management
Only 3 hour shift
You are expected to keep 8am to 8pm free for that three hours shift . Cannot get another job as shift are not fix . One day its 8am to 11 next day could be 3.15-6.15 or 12pm -3pm .

Please avoid working there if you are not a out spoken person .

Worst employer ever 😰

I cry after every shift
Pros
Discount
Cons
3 hours shift only, required to keep your day free for three shifts
Good Job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol10 December 2018
This is my second job and it is very flexible as I am in college. I work in one of the smaller stores and everyone is really lovely. The work load is very manageable even though it is coming up to Christmas time, and , as a 17 year old, I love the fact that it is well paid. It is busy most of the time, seeing as it is coming up to Christmas time but this is always well managed.
Pros
Staff, Pay is good, Flexible
Cons
Customers can be annoying as with any retail store
Not bad, but...
Shop Floor Worker/ Delivery shifts (Current Employee) –  Bishop Auckland, Durham7 December 2018
I've currently worked here a month and all was well at first. The rest of the staff are friendly and welcoming and help me when I need it. However, after being there a month I've only just found out in supposed to be Christmas temporary staff! There was no mention of this at the time of my interview or induction. I'm currently trying to find out if there's a chance of being kept on and I need a yes or no answer so I can look elsewhere if it comes to it... But nobody's explained it or told me anything yet. I didn't sign a contract and was told one was supposed to be posted to my house, but I haven't got one! As well as this, I'm starting to feel like they're rather unorganised, I was called one day asking me to cover a shift and on the day of the shift my coworker messaged me telling me I'm not in, so I rang the shop to find out I'm not needed for cover anymore!! Nobody told me this until I went to chase it up.
My hours suit me personally, however, an extra shift a week would be helpful as my shift pattern is 3 3-4 hour shifts a week, which works fine alongside my studies but if you're looking for full time hours you'll struggle to get them here!
Pros
Breaks on 4+ hour shifts, 20% discount, friendly coworkers
Cons
Unorganised, messing me about a bit, longer hours/more hours aren't given
Merchandiser/Customer assistant
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire23 November 2018
16 Hours a week, 7 - 11, I'm going to miss working at Wilko's,it''s my last shift tomorrow as i have a new job with more hours,, Typical evening shift starts at 7pm with a team meeting or " Huddle " as it's known where you find out which section you are on and an update on what's been happening throughout the day, then an hour of facing and tidying up, at 8pm shop closes and the stock cages come down from the warehouse and you fill your section, break at 9pm ( a lot of other companies don't do this ) and 9:15pm back to stocking your section,, Great team, and i'll miss them all, can have a good laugh and as long as the work gets done there's no issues, Management is awesome, approachable and down to earth, all in all it's a great company to work for, there;s a bit of lifting and you are on your feet but same as any job really,, Only down point is some of the customers,, i've found bloodied tissue's on the shelving along with half eaten burgers and to be honest it's disgusting behavior, it's the staff that have to clear it up,, please don't do it...they have bins near the tills..
Pros
Staff, Management, work environment
Cons
Inconsiderate customers
It's been a while!
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Aldershot19 November 2018
I have not worked for this company for a very long time and therefore could not possibly comment on their job culture, pay or any other element of the company.
Terrible
Warehouse (goods in) (Former Employee) –  Sussex14 November 2018
Management treated me so bad it made me depressed to go work each day. I was expected to split big deliveries all by myself in a small amount of time and would get told off i wasn't quick enough.

Management forever watching you and following you around the store was very off putting, very rude and they don't care about you

AVOID
Cons
Management are very rude
A good place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry12 November 2018
I worked here for about 9 months and had about 6/7 workmates that made working there very enjoyable. The management was kind and supportive and the pay was worth the working hours.
Needed a change in management
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire12 November 2018
For the role I played I was very depended on and the management took advantage of the fact I would do anything
The company was a platform for me starting my job career from school and I think hem for that
Pros
Local
Cons
Giving 24 hours shift change