Wilko Employee Reviews

Nothing like it used to be
Stockfile Controller (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran, Monmouthshire18 January 2018
Having been with the company for more than 10 years I had seen so many changes, some good some bad. Due to the recent restructure I have been made redundant.

Everyone is expected to do several different jobs in one day and normally more than is physically possible.

The best part for me was my fellow team members, who I could have a laugh with everyday even though it was frowned upon as it was seen that you were not doing your work and did feel like you were back in school at times.

I have no comment on the management time as each to their own when finding out if they like a person or not.

The 'family' company is no longer that, It has tried to go too up market and that is not what Wilko is all about. People know it as a value for money store where you can get near enough anything you need.
Pros
Great fellow team members
Cons
over worked
Awful work place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Widnes, Cheshire18 January 2018
No support or training
low pay rates for so much work
horrid manager
sent home every shift for petty things like not facing the way the manager wants you to
Pros
nothing
Cons
Low pay for loads of work
Decent workplace
Warehouse senior Operative (Former Employee) –  Magor, Monmouthshire18 January 2018
Morning shift was good done by 1pm occasionally working Saturday no overtime rate after 39 hours as there was b4 staff were friendly and helpful trucks was the best section
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Only 35 hours per week
Average store
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Aldershot, Hampshire16 January 2018
There is nothing out of the ordinary with this shop. For it's size and location it's a very busy store so there's always something to do. The staff get on well with each other and the management is empathetic.
Pros
Settled environment
Cons
Not hugely ambitious
over worked and under paid
Stock Supervisor / Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester15 January 2018
the store manager didnt have a clue,some people got away with doing nothing all day and others where ran ragged.due to resent company restructure all the key staff in my store have taken redundancy.the company should have got rid off level 1 staff with a limited amount of knowledge rather than multi task level 2 and3 staff.
Pros
staff discount 13% and good annual holiday entitlement
Cons
over worked
Disappointing company, nice waste of time. Don't apply here
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London Tooting14 January 2018
I have worked for the company for years in most fields, however if you choose to work for this company please bear in mind, whether you work to the best of your ability and others don't please understand its nothing personal - Just favouritism! There is usually overtime if your especially hardworking but you'll be doing most of the work with no proper training, your told to do and not adequately trained just meant to know how to work fast and pick things up. Its a good company if you want to waste your time ideally the most they offer is 16 hours they do occasionally give more. I worked my way upto 30 hours with major graft, I have noticed they don't really promote. In all my years there promotion was always fixed they would generally make up any excuse to not let you progress even if you know the shop inside out "if it isn't white it isn't right". When I left most of the staff left also because of a company restructure, most.

Wilko are hiring of all the people that join 90 percent just end up walking out I would say if your not ready for some serious graft with minimal training go ahead and apply here!
Pros
Staff try to be positive even when it's going downhill
Cons
Managers think you should worship the ground they walk on
Stay away from the ilford branch
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London14 January 2018
Don't waste your time better paid retail jobs out there. Both the managers are men who will threaten you with the sack if you can't do overtime and lie about why things happen a lot. The shop gets robbed everyday and the managers do nothing they actually have bets home much stock and what stock will get stolen the most and laugh when they win. Stay away at all cost.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Everything even the weekly pay was always wrong manager blamed head office.
cov city center
Customer Service Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coventry11 January 2018
do not know how to manage a shop
1 rule for 1 one rule for the other
do not kno who manages the shop always swap roles they have not a clue
they never tell you that they have changed the rota so you get in SHI* for it PATHETIC
Do not work for this company
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bishop Auckland, Durham10 January 2018
This company is going downhill fast. Current changes mean that most of the experienced staff are gone and the ones that are left are expected to do more work on less pay. The company don't care about the staff that bring in the money. The manager doesn't know how to communicate, she lost more staff than neccassary due to her bad attitude and unrealistic expectations. She will set you up to fail. If you like being treated badly, over worked, underpaid, under trained and made to feel like you don't matter, then this is the place for you.
Pros
None.
Cons
No work life balance. You can't have a life outside of wilko.
good company to work for
Assistant Till Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire10 January 2018
Management always helpful and company is a family orientated workplace. Always flexible with work hours. A good place to work if you would like to progress
A great place to work.
temporary customer assistant (Former Employee) –  bristol9 January 2018
A typical day at work, very busy replenishing stock but interesting because every day was different stocking different items each time and helping the customers with their enquiries,also making sure the shop floor was always clean and tidy.Iv'e learned how well I can work in a team or on my own and to a time limit.The management were very helpful and I got on with them very well.I really enjoyed working at Wilkinson it'ts a great place to work in, with a good atmosphere.
fun work placement
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull9 January 2018
it was great working there for a week because I learn many things from them, which could help me in the future. Also now I know how a supermarket function.
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Worksop8 January 2018
Good place to work, busy environment good rate of pay on night with a lot of hours. I would recommend this place to work you want be able to find better unskilled job around
Horrible place to work with rude staff and managment
Assistant Till Supervisor (Current Employee) –  York7 January 2018
Rubbish place to work since being refurbished, bad managment with no support, even when you ask for it, instead managment had ago at me and their own personal business was brought into it when I was going through some personal issues. People that work there aren’t very nice and don’t actually care about customer service. Very bad staff moral and an awful atmosphere. I would not recommend working here to ANYONE
Cons
Managment
First Job
Evening Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tamworth7 January 2018
As a first little job it was great, until they came to the end of my temporary contract. Great hours and good for younger people looking for a nice part time job.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Lack of good management
Nice place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent6 January 2018
Worked for them for 10years,overall a nice friendly company to work for. Give good discounts and do look after their workers.
Mangement are friendly and approchable if you have a problem
Cant bear it anymore
Team Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 January 2018
Loved my job until recently.i was lucky enough to get the team supervisor role but I hate it there is no training and no support.wished it was how it used to be.dread going to work.the staff morale is an all time low.level 1 staff being thrown in to things they are not comfortable with and level 3 expected to know everything but not being trained to do it.i strongly advise anyone reading this not to work at wilko unless you want your life to be complete rubbish.could write a whole lot more but don't want to be found out or my life will be made worse
Pros
Team members
Cons
The restructure
good
Help desk (Former Employee) –  stourbridge5 January 2018
Good place to work.
nice people
not the best hours offered to me.
get 20% discount given to all employees.
chance to work to a higher position
they are making redundencies
Pros
discount
Cons
not nice hours
Fun place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgwater, Somerset5 January 2018
Always been a fun place to work where all the staff interact well with each other providing the customer with a relaxed shopping experiance knowing that all staff are approachable if needing assistance
Pros
Excellent training provided
Not a happy place for me personally
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough4 January 2018
Although the company was good to work for, I found that if you took time off for any reason it was questioned and from a personal point of view disbelieved sometimes. The social life within the company was very good if you fit into a certain category.
Pros
Accommodating when ot comes to changing your hours.
Cons
Not fitting in with certain people.