Wilko Employee Reviews

Don't work in Wilko fishergate
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Preston12 August 2018
Went for work experience wouldn't go there again
Mangers there treat you like rubbish, business is losing money
managers will tell you off even for working hard and then blame the employees for their own fault
Hardest part of the job was working there, its depressing enough with the managers that dont have a clue what they're doing themselves
Nothing was enjoyable other than leaving
Pros
Cons
Everything especially the managers
Was a lot of fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage9 August 2018
Stevenage branch loved working there , we all new each other very welcoming to new staff, a really family atmosphere , if u got stuck with a task some one there to help , learnt a lot of thing never stuck doing same job
Pros
Management very understanding
Cons
Could have better staff parking
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sutton31 July 2018
A typical day at work is like no other, you go about your day day working hard to not only satisfy yourself but also the company. I haver learnt so much in the time I've worked there, for example how to random a till, how to give people change, how to supervise a team. The management take good care of the ones that work hard, and just get on with there job. They will help everyone but help the ones more who work and just get on with it. The hardest part of the job is dealing massive till errors as it takes time finding the mistake and can become very stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the people who you work with because if you get along with everyone they are easier to work with. You can also have a laugh with colleagues and customers, talk about each others days and getting to know them.
good business to work for with good prospects
Manager leek.Hanley.Newcastle and Crewe (Former Employee) –  Leek29 July 2018
varied workload each day
high customer contact
work most wekends
expected to be very flexible
management good and highly professional
stores in most towns
good training given
Pros
great pay
Cons
need to be very flexible in hours and days of the week
terrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dagenham, Greater London29 July 2018
I worked for this company for three weeks that was all I could take. The store I was at was full of women slagging each other off, they did as little as possible and all the work was left to the men. management wasn't interested in any problems you had if you even raised a problem your days was numbered. Even after leaving it took two months to get my final wages out of them.
Demanding
Apprentice Engineer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham26 July 2018
It is a place where it requires demanding work but the hours are suitable and the shifts are good doing one week on earlys and one week on lates. Would recommend
Pros
Suitable hours
Cons
Demanding work
Good pay and friendly
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset25 July 2018
Friendly place to work, opportunity for over time. Good relationships between staff. Good salary especially for younger people. Able to be quite flexible.
Pros
good pay.paid tea breaks, friendly staff.
Cons
occasionally very uneven hours
Whiny, not run well, overworked
Seasonal Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire25 July 2018
Overworked and most people are either 17-20 or 40-70 theres no in between.

Shifts can change upto 5 times after they've been written. You won't be notified you just have to check before your shift, on breaks and before you go home.

My bus got in either an hour early or 5 minutes late, I wasn't allowed to make up this in my breaks therefore I had to be there an hour early every day in the freezing cold and dark, and left after everyone had finished in the dark. In the interview they made out they would be more flexible with me due to where I live but this wasn't the case.

We had temporary managers, that would go on 1-2 hour lunchbreaks at a time to burgerking or mcdonalds, but who would also mock you for having to leave the shop floor for 5 minutes to go to the toilet, stating thats "what breaks are for".

We randomly had to have bag searches but people told me that some members of staff still managed to get around this.

The interview process was made out that we were special and there were lots of perks and discounts, turns out there really wasn't. It isn't as a diverse and equal company as they make it out to be.
Pros
Small discount after worked there so long, paid weekly.
Cons
Breaks are allocated by hours worked, often given 2hr shifts out of a whole day.
Wilko is a good place to work but no good management
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Orpington, Greater London25 July 2018
Wilko is great company to work for but not this store the assistant manager has something stuck up her bum and once she decides she’s got a problem with someone she does what she can to get rid off you if it isn’t non stop meetings or make false accusations against you. She will talk about you to rest of staff even things that are private she’s just horrible and unpleasant
Pros
Rest of staff are ok
Used to be lovely.
Deputy store Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 July 2018
Wilko used to be a lovely place to work as it was a family run buisness. Not now. The restructure got rid of most of the compitent staff forcing the company to employ elsewhere. Forgetting all of thr wilko family values that they drilled into us for years.

Regional managers are a joke. Work load is already too much then they add to it with their visits. Expecting the store to be pristine but not allowing you any hours to actually have staff of the shop floor.

If youre a suck up and you dont mind them expectinf you to be fully flexible 7 days a week at the drop of a hat wilko is the place for you.

Its a shame, because it used to be a great place to work.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Staff are just employee numbers, not people
Pressuring/ horrible staff.
A STOCK REPLENISHMENT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Exeter22 July 2018
The job was simple enough, and was easy to balance with my everyday life but the management team was atrocious.
Being bulled everyday and harshly pressured to complete tasks is not okay. Would not recommend Wilko Exeter.
Pros
The job is easy
Cons
The managers are horrible
Awful management
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire21 July 2018
Worked in Slough branch. Badly managed, always short staffed. Managers look after their favourites and treat everyone else like c@#p. Given 1 shirt to work 5 days out of 7, was told i couldn't have a spare. Worse place to work in.
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Treatment by Management
its a very friendly enviroment
cashier (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 July 2018
they always made sure i was in a save enviroment to work in. i would carry the stock from the back of the store to the front of the shop i would also work at cashier
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long ours
Great place to work if you have the right type of management
Customer service assistant (Current Employee) –  Gateshead17 July 2018
Worked here for 12 year never had a problem until new management came in and they want rid of long serving staff and replace with new contracts very understaffed and over worked would not recommend any one working here you have to fight for your holidays
Pros
none anymore
Cons
management
Poorly managed
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fulham Broadway Station9 July 2018
I'm not sure about all the Wilko retail stores but I know for sure the one in Fulham is poorly run and always has been. It is in desperate need of new management.
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Rubbish hours, rubbish management in the Fulham store
Not a nice firm
Customer Service Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Scarborough9 July 2018
Great workmates what keeps most people there Not a nice firm to work for anymore. People some who have worked from day one of store opening lost their jobs. It got to be a firm that is unfair to staff who have given loyal service to the firm for years.
Lovely team and enjoyable workplace
Csa (Current Employee) –  Bedminster, Bristol8 July 2018
Worked for wilko for years on tills. The team are all really supportive and nice. I always enjoy my days at work either seeing staff members or customers. A real pleasant environment to work in.
The pay is weekly,holiday allowance is good. management try to accommodate flexible hours for staff and management are reasonably fair to all staff.
Pros
Weekly pay/great staff
Cons
Low contracts
Used to be a nice place to work not anymore!
Wilko (Current Employee) –  Uk7 July 2018
Worked for wilko for a number of years. Used to be a nice place to work not any more. Riddiclous 3 hour shifts I work part time used to work a couple of days they've now dragged my 12 hour contract out over 4 days so I have to go in for 3 hours all done so they don't have to hire staff or give us breaks. Supposed to have 4 weeks rotas up but that never happens shifts are different all the time changed with no notice and expected to cancel any plans you've made or appointments you have. Bullied by management constantly on your back about customer feedback but never told if you actually have any unless it's negative them they have a go at you. No training at all. Looking for a new job sick of being bullied and made to feel awful.
Pros
Amount of holidays.
Cons
No training, Short shifts, No notice on rota changes, Bullied by management, Never given postive feedback, Impossible work loads
Unprogressive, disorganised and poorly led
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Truro4 July 2018
I have worked at Wilko for a year, the only reason I stay are the wonderful staff I work alongside. Hours are given at minimum to everyone and seems Wilko like to employ more people part time than give anyone decent hours. Wilko expect everyone to be flexible and rotas are done weekly sometimes so it’s impossible to make plans with family because you never know when your in and even when there are 2 weeks rotas up management change them without asking you or telling you. Management are all over the place, one says one thing another something else! It’s hard to please them overall and I think the great staff at our store are undervalued and appreciated. If you want minimum hours, minimum wage, minimum training and opportunity then YES Wilko is for you! The customers are the only factor that brings a smile and makes you feel good. Management are far too detached and busy gossiping about other people to know what a great job we do. It’s a shambles, Wilko really need to invest in their staff and bring their company up to speed and meet staff expectations who in turn can exceed the customers. Until then, after 11 staff leaving over the last 7 weeks, I am looking for a new job where I am able to not just do but think and contribute to.
Pros
Staff are lovely
Cons
Unpredictable rotas, low wage, low hours and poorly led.
Nice staff
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Austell, Cornwall30 June 2018
Previously working at Wilkinson’s the staff members are great people to work with. However the manager didn’t really communicate with the staff members.
Pros
Discount and good people to work with
Cons
Management could be better