Wilko Employee Reviews

rubbish
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 October 2018
they not helping you for new task
they are rude
the management wont listen to you
they have favoritism
i been working there for a year they wont even ask you for promotion
Pros
long break
Cons
low rate
Family Run, Great Opportunities for Progression
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Worksop, Nottinghamshire13 October 2018
Family Run, Great Opportunities for Progression
Opportunities for training and development and movement between functions
Located in Worksop
Challenging buy fun
Look no further!
Wilko (Former Employee) –  Wilko11 October 2018
This will be one of the best reviews you will ever read.... simply because it’s the truth.
The higher up you go, the more politics your expected to play... or even to dodge.
The organisation by both regionals and managers is shocking. No one can decide which ones which or decide on an appropriate course of action. And then stick to it.
The stores are in decline, yet they hire people who scaremonger and who are highly inappropriate.
The expectation vs reality is vastly different... and the workload is inexcusable.
The people that are on the ground are seriously forgotten and abused by those above, and any complaint is dealt with poorly and in a tortoise like fashion... in fact I’d say a tortoise was faster.
You’ve got to weigh up your home life balance because Wilko won’t allow you a home life.
So I’m short, if your a blood thirsty vampire who likes to drain every last drop of blood out of each and every one of your people... then this is the job for you... if you are looking for a family driven company.. too late. That ship has sailed!!
Avoid peeps! Avoid! Run! Run like your life depended on it!!
Pros
Cons
Long hours, shockingly bad pay, being abused by those above and below you... I could go on and on!
Woefully disorganised mess
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  South East9 October 2018
Having worked for a few retailers I honestly don’t think Wilko realise what a shambles they are.. I work in store as a sales advisor and am treated like a disposable commodity and a child in equal measure..

I’m actively looking to leave as I hate working for these jokers.. tech that doesn’t work, old store in need of updating with low stock, slow deliveries and complete lack of agility in solving our stores problems.. saw a video of the company comference and they don’t have a clue what customers want or what it takes to sell more product.. horrible, at least it has created a Dunkirk spirit in stores as we look out the window at the streams of people go8mg into B&M
Pros
Common moans
Cons
Too many to list
fun
ccc (Former Employee) –  ccc9 October 2018
boring too busy not enough saff. tills are a mess too loud too messy too over indulgant too trampy just not very good to be homnest with you domt work thetre
Awful
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham6 October 2018
Rotas changed last minute, say goodbye to the chance of any private life since they expect your life to revolve around Wilko. Lack of training given, so although it's easy enough to pick up from your co workers, any mistakes you've made could've been easily avoided had they just given you more than half a days training like they did with me (which exclusively involved watching DVDs)

Wage isn't worth the long hours (can often expect a 9 hour shift) - I'm 23 so I get £7.43 an hour. I'm looking for another job currently.

Extremely disorganised store management. I hate this place. It's awful.

Only bareable thing about working here has been the rest of the sales assistant crew; they're absolutely lovely, but most of them have been working at wilko since leaving school so don't realise that this isn't how a functional store should be ran.

If you're desperate enough, then be guest and apply here, but don't have any expectations. Even for a customer service position, this has been an abysmal experience and I can't wait to leave after only working here a few weeks.

I've looked at my contract recently, and there's no maximum hours you can work, and you'll be given at least 24 hours notice for any shift changes, no paid overtime - which is dire and basically a zero hour contract with some hours guarenteed.

You can't be expected to have yo-yoing amount of hours from one week to the next. We're treated so disposably, it's sad.
Pros
20% staff discount
Cons
long shifts, change of rotas last minute, poor management, expected to live and breathe wilko
horrible place to work
Senior Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Magor6 October 2018
treated like a school kid. Punished at a high standard for doing something minor and also the desired shift changes is apalling.There slogan is that family matters but they dont care about anyone
Pros
its a job
Cons
treated poorly
Poor management
Csa (Former Employee) –  Ely, Cambridgeshire6 October 2018
Worked here for nearly a year and found that you wasn’t able to move up in the ladder also very clicky with the people been here for a while. The work was ok unless you like doing 5 people jobs for one person pay. Found that they was very quick to give you negative feed back but not positive.
Pros
Good brakes
Cons
Mangermeant need give you more feed back
fun work place
Costumer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakham, Rutland5 October 2018
was good for the age i was and the people there work well in a team. personally for me the distance was the problem as i was spending what i earned so it wasnt worth the travel.
Pros
the co-workers were nice
Cons
could be very chaotic a lot of the time
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire4 October 2018
Staff are welcoming
The management team are helpful
Clean environment
Opportunities to succeed
Great pay
Productive and fun environment
Pleasant place to work
Excellent work place with good opportunities
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Neath, Neath Port Talbot4 October 2018
All friendly staff on hand to help always kept busy there would work there again anytime fair employer with great opportunities if you wanted to higher yourself.
Pros
Uniform
Good For Gcse Graduates
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bedford30 September 2018
Whilst I did my work experience at Wilko's, I learned the hard work and organisation that goes into retail. During this time I was in a friendly environment, that allowed me to advance my knowledge into the field of work and retail.
Good Introduction to Retail
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage24 September 2018
Pros
Good Learning Experience
Cons
Only a week
very productive workplace
SALES ASSISTANT/ Till worker (Former Employee) –  Wood Green, Greater London23 September 2018
this workplace has changed my life as it was my first job i was able t learn alot of new things and acquired new skills, and helped me overcome some fears at i had
Depressing and pressuring
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Magor, Monmouthshire18 September 2018
Warehouse is not a great place to work, currently becoming like Tesco/ASDA there is no family/work balance specialy working 1-8 p.m mon-fri soon to be bringing in a Saturday 6-1a.m and Sunday morning 1in 3 weekends. No extra money for weekend work,bank holidays have to work Xmas Eve to have boxing Day off and work New year Eve . Disciplined for the smallest of things,no praise or thanks for your work, even taken away the 5 minute tea break. Health and safety has a lot to be desired, it's dreadful! The agency workers gets bullied overtime for them is mandatory, which for a company with zero tolerance in bullying is just disgusting. Management are ignorant and distant. For what Wilkinsons say on their website about family values is really fabricated nonsense it simply doesn't exist in the warehouse. The wage is minimum wages with an environmental benefit due to it being such a dirty dusty place
Pros
Hmmmmmm
Cons
Not a happy environment
It's ok.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth18 September 2018
End of the day, it's just a job. Oftentimes even if you've been trained up for a specific job role, when that job becomes available, it'll go to some higher ups friend/partner.
Not the best job in the world, but not the worst.
Productive Fun place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northallerton17 September 2018
I Worked delivery from Cages that would be difficult at times.
I learned How to prevent Hazards or Accidents from happening.
Certain members of the management were very understanding & easy to get along with while other Members weren't.
The most enjoyable part was meeting new people everyday.
Pros
20% Staff Discount
Cons
Hard work, Long hours with No thanks.
I would say a good company
section leader/supervisor, now customer service. (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 September 2018
I would say they are a good company to work for, but we live in such uncertain times that often one does not know what goes on from week to week. I have worked for the company for many years and on the whole I have enjoyed it.
Pros
The discount is good. The wage is fair, compared with other retailers.
Cons
Much is expected of their staff, but the pay grade does not reflect the responsibilities asked of you.
Productive and friendly work place
cashire (Former Employee) –  Beaumont Leys5 September 2018
I really enjoyed working at wilko, especially when it was busy. I was always on the tills.it was especially busy at christmas time. everyone always works together.which makes a happy team.
You get to know who the regular customers are, they love having a conversation with you while you are serving them. the hardest part is not seeing them again. Over the years there was a few changes in management. you couldwork your way up the career ladder.
Pros
could get a bargin sometimes
Cons
long hours around christmas time
Sadly Changed Over The Years
CSA: Customer Services Assistant. (Former Employee) –  Kent4 September 2018
I worked for Wilko for just over 11 years. At the start of my time it was a pleasure to work for them, I felt like I was part of a massive family, who appeared to care about me and my colleagues. They considered what your personal circumstances were like, and the even helped people I worked with who were single parents, and just had trouble finding child care at the last moment. The rotas were flexible, so if we had a problem, we could find cover, or even switch someones days around. However, this Is a dream that has long been forgotten by the management team, who appeared to stop caring if we stayed or not. With greatly reduced staff and section leaders, staff were expected to act up without any extra money, and they expected the same quality of work but with far less people available to do the tasks. Management had their favourites, who would grant annual leave for them when they needed it. But for the rest of us, no matter how hard we worked, gave time over for free or just showed excellent customer service, it didn't matter as our faces didn't fit and we got the scraps that were left over. They didn't care that we had young children, or elderly relatives that counted on us, so getting a fair share of the time off was almost impossible. Holiday forms would conveniently go missing from managers desks, so suddenly the chosen ones would get their leave, and then you'd be told that they didn't have any record of you applying for leave, so you couldn't have it. Staff were put at risk by the store not having a security guard, as we were sent to deal with the shoplifters, without  more... any training on what to do. By the time I left, morale was at the lowest that I'd ever seen, in the whole time that I worked for them. Managers and Supervisors were told that they'd lost their positions in a reshuffle, and were told to step down or get out, with quite a poor redundancy package, many had no choice than to accept that they were being forced out..
I would advise you to think very carefully before you decide to work for them.
And to the senior Wilko Management ( I hope you are reading this and hang your heads low), I'd say this; "Shame On You For Caring So Little About Those Who Gave Their Devotion To Your Company, And You Threw It Away"!
Pros
The staff I worked with were mostly fantastic.
Cons
The poor decisions, management and lack of staff due to budgeting.