Wilko

Wilko Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,544 reviews
Found 1,544 reviews matching the search
Good whilst at uni
I worked at wilko for just under a year as part of the night team where my role was just to stock shelves after the store had closed. My hours were 6pm-9pm 4/5 times a week as I had a 12 hour contract- the most hours I would do was 20 and this was only at busy times such as Christmas. Overall the job was easy and other members of staff were friendly and if you worked 4 hours you got a 15 minute break together which was lovely. There was a slight clique-like atmosphere, but other members of staff were friendly so this wasn't too much of a bother and shifts were only 3-4 hours long so it was tolerable. Worked great around my uni schedule and when I stated I wouldn't be able to work certain days I was immediately taken off the rota for those days which was great. Friendly manager, but supervisor was a bit of a bully towards younger members of staff I was just lucky to be liked by him so he was nice to me. They have a strict absence policy and I was put on probation for having a stomach bug which caused me to have 3 days off and they seemed to not believe me, but nothing came of this in the end. Overall an okay place to work but this may have just been because the hours were short and so it was tolerable. The only reason I left is because I needed more hours, and it was a good place to work part-time with other commitments.
Pros
Easy job, good breaks, friendly staff
Cons
Very strict absence policy, some rude supervisors
Horrible to work for
Horrible place to work mangerment was always nasty and spoke to you like a you was nothing even had to ask to take a break didn't respect you at all asst manger at eastbourne was horrible and spoke to u like you didn't exist always talking down to you hated working here
Stressful, qaulity of life at job very much dependent on your manager.
My experience at Wilko Cannon Park is a story of two exeperiences.

When I first started the management were very accomdating of my Autism and Dyslexia, I was affored the same opportunities as someone else and they always made themselves avaiable to me whenever I needed them.

However after the restructuring in 2017 a new manager came in who took one look at me and judged that I wasn't capable of anything else persides from being on tills. The new manager took me having learning disablities to mean that I would struggle to do any complicated tasks, so when my team mates were being trained on the help desk and how to process orders and deliveries, I was left on the checkout feeling very isloated and depressed.

The manger changed the shifts which resulted in me being constantly on the express till (the fastest one) I often came home feeling completly overwhelmed and upset, that added to the stress of being in my final year uni led me to have a melt down on christmas eve.

When I told my manager about the meltdown she turned it around on me, saying it was my fault for not coming to her first and that she dosen't see why I'm having a problem considering everyone else is doing the same job. What made this worse was that she said this whilst another memeber of staff was in the room acting as her witness, basically to cover her own backside.

After this I was left feeling like the village idoit and for the next couple of months I dredded coming into work. I felt I was on tender-hooks around her, whenever I made a mistake she would always come down on me harder then anyone
 - more...
Poor management and unrealistic expectations
The people that actually do the work are amazing. Wilko truly feels like a family and the majority of team members at buyer level and below are friendly and incredibly helpful. However, once you move up the pay-scale, there is a hierarchical attitude that divides the team and creates worry and dissent.
A bullying culture within management is developing and the ability to provide feedback is non existent unless you want to find yourself marched out of the door without a job. Speaking honestly is not encouraged. In some teams speaking to team mates at all is discouraged.

Staff that ‘leave’ are not replaced putting incredible strain on remaining team members who see no benefit for their efforts The effect of cost cutting has put many staff in a position needing counselling for stress or taking sick leave for the same reason - creating more pressure. Removal of sick pay at the point of Covid impact to ensure no one ‘takes advantage’ when all of the rest of the issues aren’t being dealt with has kept some people that can’t cope, working from home for all hours to keep up with ridiculous demands. Wilko used to be an amazing place to work where the family values made every day a day you wanted to go to work. Now they rely on people’s good will to achieve monumental asks and then give out team wide reprimands for not achieving it in the right format, or being late - regardless of other deadlines or previously asked for activity. No respect for people’s time or what’s already been asked for and Covid is driving even less respect with meeting and phone calls being put in to junior
 - more...
Pros
Friendly teams. Helpful team mates
Productive Day
Some days are very fast paced, where others can be more relaxed.
From doing stock management, to putting overs away there is always different things to be done.

We try to have some fun at work, this makes you work that bit harder.

There is not really any hard parts to my job.

I enjoy my job because you get to meet different people every day.
Not good
Not enough staff to cover the amount of jobs expected to complete. During this covid situation , expected to man the doors for customer control ,so reduces in shop staff even more!!! I used to enjoy my job but I now think the company don't care about their staff at all , it's all about making them money and sod everyone else
Depressing to work there
- wage is terrible and inconsistent. I used to get such a low wage and such less hours it was disappointing
- favouritism is massive in the stores

-management isn’t organised and if you ask for more hours it’s like they don’t listen

- dissapointed as this was my first job and it was so bad would rather not have a job then work here

- staff are also toxic and rude
Bad
Was always understaffed never enough people to cover the basic
Tills

Promises always broken & banbury staff is old and slow and don't know anything

The old staff alway got what they wanted while new starters was treated badly

Read the headlines wilko sales have been plummeting

Managers always hiding in the office

No gloves

No time to wash hands
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Wilko?
fun
fun atmosphere to work at. get the work done and will have no problems.
the chance for overtime but also able to finish early needs be.

great team to work with.
Bad
Honestly working at wilko has made me feel unappreciated not because the job was hard because it was it’s manageable but the staff are the problem especially the managers if your not friends with them expect a lot of gossiping about you behind your back they have no respect for there staffs well the ones they like but other than that the only good thing was the 20% discount but honestly you can get working in any other retail stores.
Rushing around to get jobs fin before end of shift to many chiefs not enough indians
Start and finish times always change without being asked. Work load is always more than what is managable in the time given as your doin more than 1 job. Not a fun place to work in due to management and supervisors as they expect to much from there staff and theres no many brown noses and the actual company bosses dont care about there staff aslong as there making money
Pros
Its a job
Cons
Bad pay
A good workplace to work.
Wilko is a fun, chilled place to work and enjoy yourself at the same time. The work is not over bearing and you can work at a steady pace. The colleagues are all nice people and you can get along with them really well and make a good team. The management is well structured and I get along with them well. Overall, Wilko is a good place to work and improve your social skills and your work skills.
Filler job
Not somewhere to make a career it's alright as a filler job whilst looking for another job the wages are not good and workers have to fight for them to match minimum wage
Wilko has a culture of favouritism
Wilko works for friends and family. If you have someone at the management or supervisor level than all you do is relax and get paid. Otherwise you been asked to do more work even after closing time (unpaid work). You get less hours and late night to work compare to their favourite people.
Brilliant atmosphere
Whilst working at Wilko, although dealing with customers can be stressful. The people who work there are wonderful people and definitely made working at Wilko worth it and enjoyable.
Ok
Discount good
Friendly colleges

Poor hours

Expected to do over time

Slow with rotas

Barely any training

No support from head office

Uncomfortable uniform's
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hours
Productive and fun place too work
Overall a great to place and work! Very fast paced, always learning something new the most enjoyble part is engaing with your team and every day brings something new.
R I p w I l k o
dont work here management are lazy rude and treat staff like dirt underpaid no thanks in the job no progression just a dog's body in there while managers sit on there lazy backsides in office should do surprise visit from head office maybe see how it's really run avoid like the plague worst company any one could ever work for not as if it's even well paid

Laughable how this place stays open. Couldn't run a bath let alone a warehouse. Someone should do an uncover boss in faverdale the management would be on the dole in a day

Not given enough hours to pay for all your bills. Only given part-time contacts. Largest being 18 hours. Evening and weekend are part of your normal working week.

don't go there management never listen to you, give you all the shifts no one else wants to do, management have their favourite staff and let them get away with everything
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Everything mentioned
Avoid
They repeatedly claim to be a Family friendly company, 20 years ago this was true. Now they have consistently broken promises and stretched the already depleted work force comprising not only the customer shopping experience but the safety of the staff. They have removed security, they care more about being seen to do the right thing than actually doing it.
fun and exciting place to work
i enjoyed working for wilko and got on really well with colleagues and customers, it was fast paced and fun i particularly enjoyed seeing the smile on a customers face when they discovered new items on our shelves
Titanic! Avoid! Avoid
Just as my title states it's a sinking ship with a warehouse manager thats grinding it down and shredding it to pieces ( he is nicknamed the shredder after all) Terrible place to work they grind you down and cause you more stress. If your on a headset picking your pulled in the office for 30 seconds over your breaks/drinks (this is no joke). They try to promote mental health awareness but yet they cause it. The top managers havent got a clue some of the supervisors are just Hitler's and have no people skills. If you treat people like dirt you get promoted and to top it off they have just taken company sick pay off everyone just when they need it with this virus going round.