Wilko Employee Reviews

Fun workoutplace
Sal (Current Employee) –  Ex15 June 2018
It was a very good place to work in as the people were very friendly and nice as well as the mangers were very welcoming and there was a positive atmosphere within the shop.
a good rewarding place to work
Burton On Trent, Customer Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burton, ON13 June 2018
I replenished the shelves, after the store had closed for the day. I was given a section to refill, then got the stock from the warehouse. When working during the stores open hours, I helped the customers as much as I could
Fun place and productive
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  worksop13 June 2018
Wilko is a very good company to work for. A family orientated business whom I would highly recommend to work for.

Very flexible working hours
caring people
weekend work
Senior customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Erith, Greater London12 June 2018
I liked it here, the work was varied everyone is nice and they all work together to get everything done. They offer high customer service and they look after staff.
Promotions Team Member (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire12 June 2018
Was a good place to work for 15 years before I was made redundant and would like to work for the company again. I have been there through many changes and management changes and have seen the company develope and change many times.
Wilko
Packing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jarrow, Tyne and Wear11 June 2018
I worked temporary at wilkos & found that staff management were really ok, Some supervisors have attitude problems, but all in all I found fair company to work for
Pros
Perks
Cons
Long shifts
Ok at first to many changes at once
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham10 June 2018
I was a customer service assistant for Wilkos for about a year was great at first hours were prefect overtime was available if wanted. Though training was suppose to be given it wasn't due to lack of staff so you were basically teaching yourself and learn as you went. But if you did something wrong they soon picked you up on it.

But as soon as they reconstructed the whole company and got rid of staff and jobs those that where left where all level ones and are now expected to do twice as much with not much training

You are on basic contracted hours with hardly any overtime avaliable shifts are constantly changes so no chance of a socially life as you are never doing the same ones on a weekly bases and they can be changed with only 24 notice and you have to check the roars daily in case they are you are never informed if they have been changed but will then get into trouble if you are later for a shift or miss a shift due to those changes. And if you have any more than 5 absences in 12 months you can be fired.

I left due to know team work everyone was basically working for themselves and not pulling their weight and leaving things for others to do and shifts constantly being changed with asking if you can do them or being informed that they have been changed.

Store and the whole company has gone down hill since all the changes.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
No social life, shifts can be changed with only 24 hours notice, no team work everyone out for themselves, hardly any training given
productive
Sales Assistant/till supervisor (Former Employee) –  Killingworth, Northumberland7 June 2018
Loved the company but was made redundant.
Had Flexable hours which made childcare easier.
Fun company to work for.
Valued member of staff.
Took alot from the company alot of experience.
Pros
flexible hours
fun. kind. amazing staff and very good wage
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beaumont Leys5 June 2018
was on evenings and it was amazing but you needed to be fast and learn quickly and then moved todays and that was better as I worked with the best staff ever
Pros
staff and pay
Cons
few mistakes i made
From good to bad and from bad to terrible
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London5 June 2018
I worked for this "Family run business" for many many years and enjoyed my job and used to do my job well. But some years ago there was a change of ownership. When I first joined Wilkinsons it was run by a man who was respected by his workers and he respected his workers back. But then came the downfall this brilliant man retired and someone from within his family ultimately took over control, and that's when it began slowly to go down hill. Hard working loyal members if staff lost their jobs, remaining staff lost company benefits and had their periods of extra pay IE bank holidays ECT taken away. Then more job losses more changes "Not positive and "All under the watchful eye of the union the GMB". Then more redundancies again in loss prevention, a department by the way is run and crewed by staff that don't have a clue ! Anyway the good old days of Wilkinsons family run business are long gone. Hard work was never appreciated no matter how hard you worked. Your just a employee number within a machine of greed. So my advice to any potential employee is think twice before working for this company. Oh and another thing if your face don't fit then it don't and pretty much all the managers except the odd few lie to you and talk about you behind your back. To much favouritism from managers to favourites and it still goes on. However I said pretty much all the managers, so let me make it clear there where also brilliant managers who I respected but they where more of the old school. Been working there years and respected hard work and loyal staff. But sadly it changed too and as  more... I mentioned earlier it all changed and I'm glad to see the back of it.  less
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Directors and managers
evening times
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romford4 June 2018
restocking product, on all department and general cleaning , taking away any broken product and price scanning.

i was working 4 evenings a week and met a few new workers, all working together as part of a team.
Good for a first job
customer service assistant (Current Employee) –  Walsall, West Midlands2 June 2018
Great place to work if you're new to working or just need something small on the side, good pay and offer a decent amount of hours however there is no career advancement available or promotion and days can often be tough physically lifting heavy items for hours on end with only a 15 min break if you're lucky.
Pros
pay
Cons
don't have a social life cause of my hours
First job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Altrincham30 May 2018
Wonderful environment, people are nice. The only con is the wage, however, the work load is not too difficult and you have a great work life balance. Fab.
Okay staff, nightmare to work.
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Wellington30 May 2018
Being a school leaver, I had started working at wilko. I was shoved straight into the deep end without knowing what I had to do. On my first week I had witnessed shop lifting and many breakages in the shop floor. I was left to do everything without any training. Still have nightmares about it now. Apply at your own risk.
Pros
alright pay, lovely staff (some)
Cons
no training given, expect me to know everything, unsociable hours(sometimes)
Tills
Cashier/customer sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Thamesmead, Greater London28 May 2018
Enjoy working with them work and have a good old chat with coustmss but can’t really do that no more because there have changed every time seen I have left
Pros
Temps
Cons
What shift your one
Fun and Hectic at times
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London27 May 2018
Nice company when I first started,since restructuring branch gone downhill, because of low area store gets robbed everyday. 2 new male managers, the assistant does not have a clue as an assistant manager. Customers complaining about him, general manager hot head bully, warning for everything sickness, lateness not in correct uniform, in this hot weather staff unable to have bottled water while working on tills disgusting. Staff leaving every month no value expected to do everything not rewarded when job done well as soon as you make a mistake they're on your case. Managers have to remember good management leads to happy staff members and happy customers then you will hit your Wow Statistics. So glad I have left as I was told Ilford store on hit list to be closed down.
Pros
Friendly staff members and some customers 20% staff discount
Cons
No set hours on your feet for most of your shift
Busy fast paced and Customer friendly environment
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham25 May 2018
Wilko are keen to welcome different people from diverse ethnic groups. Wilko builds a strong connecting bond to all their staffs and are emotionally considerate to all their customers. I acquired strong emotional control skills whilst dealing with aggressive customers .
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Shift Patterns may varies
You are not a peron with this compant
Section leader (Former Employee) –  Bishop Auckland, Durham23 May 2018
Unbelievable is all I can say .You work there for years and get treated like a slave and told your not competent at your job that you have been doing for over 10 years .
Incompetent people got to keep their jobs and hours even though they have more warnings than you would ever believe possible.
New structure doesn't work and can see lots of stores closing within years .
Now employing kids who have no manners and basically couldn't care less.
Management definetly have favourites.
If your a forty plus male who can operate a til in a fashion ,has no people skills ,and no ambition this is the place for you .
Pros
You could probably get away with murder
Great team
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire22 May 2018
The team at Wilko are like family to me as everyone will help eachother.
Each day can differ depending on what needs to be done but everyday I face customers so the service needs to be excellent.
I know my job well and feel confident in what I do.
I enjoy working in a team and the customer service side of the business.
great place to work but has bumps
stock relife suppervisor (Former Employee) –  Gillingham, Kent20 May 2018
normal day at work for me was to get my team set up ready for the night shift. only problem was is that there was no communication between managers and what they wanted you to do was not even possible to do. due to late delivery's and paperwork saying different things
Pros
lunch
Cons
not alot of hours