Wilko Employee Reviews

Hectic and unorganised workplace/company
Stock control / delivery worker / merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Liverpool18 April 2018
No typical day, constant rota and job changes.
Weekly pay constantly messed up to keep store weekly balances in the black.
Company required admin was too demanding which affected normal working day routine as it was constantly passed down from manager.
New management was poor. Not strong enough and allowed offer stock etc to sit in warehouse loosing us many sales.
Workplace culture - whoever shouted the loudest got listened to and so several staff were bullied but Management knew about this but would not put a stop to it and the ones who did the bullying were the ones who were most flexible and willing to work extra hours.
Hardest part of job was finishing a job before being given something else to do because someone had not done theirs,
Best part of the job was working with people I liked and part time
Pros
good 20% discount
Cons
constant rota changes, short staff poor accuracy of wages
Stressful and miserable place to work
Section Leader (Former Employee) –  Staffordshire14 April 2018
I worked for this company for many years. Up until 8 years ago this was a good company to work for then other members took over and it became a joke. The manager we had was a joke, rota's were changing at the drop of a hat with no notice. Tasks and duties were off the scale and unrealistic. Not a pleasant place to work.
Pros
Discount Card
Cons
To many to list
From bad to worse
Customer Service Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Worksop14 April 2018
Worked here for about 13 years and could not wait to get out, staff treated and spocken to like a piece of rubbish, totally demoralised in front of other staff by manager and received no praise or thank you even when you go out of your way to give good customer service or work past your time. It's horrid!! Some of the team members are lovely but others go out of their way to cause trouble like little children.
No proper schedule Rota is week by week and working 3 hour shifts over 5 days!! Might as well have a full time job.
Bad management
Pros
It's a job
Cons
3 hour shift no values
Decent
Shopping Assistant - work experience (Former Employee) –  London13 April 2018
Only was for work experience through my secondary school, however gave a nice insight into working in retail and helped me develop on my communication.
Fun and Relaxed
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Penge10 April 2018
Overall relaxed and enjoyable job desperation and job role which included specifically unpacking and replenishing stock during evenings, however I asked for a more complexed and challenging role and asked to learn new opportuntities and experiences as well as change of hors which the manager didn't want to discuss nor help me with. Management were very unorganised and dismissive with most things.
Pros
Weekly Pay
Cons
Unorganised and No Structure
Enjoyable
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire8 April 2018
Very good place to work. it was hard at first but very easy once i understood the job. a good memory is required to stack shelves but anyone can do it.
Fun workplace
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Norfolk31 March 2018
Nice and cheerful atmosphere that encouraged you to enjoy your job. Serving customers is your typical bread and butter retail work so the hardest part is dealing with angry customers.
Pros
Money
Cons
Good luck getting fulltime
ok nice people
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire31 March 2018
cut hours like a brick, no work life blance.
no one takes responsibility for decisions,lack of trained management and staff.
bad communication,hardly any trainingt
Pros
Cons
hours change too regular
good working environment
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire30 March 2018
Good work and a lot of skills to learn. Good teamwork and organised environment. Computers help locate items locations, availability and deliveries. Different job roles and flexible hours.
Fun workplace. Staff and Customers were very friendly
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Crewe29 March 2018
I loved working at Wilko's. The job was an evening shift 7-10 on week days and 6-9 on weekends. The ays were always different so I could have a super busy day one day and a calm, relaxed shift the next day.

The members of staff were so friendly to the new workers, they showed us how to arrange shelves, how to talk to customers, and made working there easy.

They staff helped us with problems of all sports e.g. finding where an item is supposed to go or helping us pack up broken stock.

The pay was £7.38 an hour which was a much better wage compared to Coral Reef.

Want to know more about Wilko?

Ask a question
nice place to work
Customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire28 March 2018
it is a nice place to work if your only looking for part time hours, but towards the end I needed more then that, it is like a little family there, I have got my retail experience so if you was to start from the bottom this would be the ideal place to start
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire23 March 2018
Refilling the shelve, servicing customers, using the till stock check, keeping the shop tidy.

The people was great to work with.

the hardest part of the job was cleaning out the pick and mix tubs.
Pros
bounes
Cons
not enough hours
pleasant
CUSTOMER SERVICE ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Torfaen22 March 2018
pleasant atmosphere.
nice working conditions.
friendly colleagues
was encouraged to build on my skills and knowledge nd felt valued as a member of staff.
Company has fallen the last few years
staff (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester22 March 2018
The only good part about the job is the people I work with. Things have gotten to the point that most members of staff do not want to be there. Myself included. Completely destroyed my mental health. Management staff are petty and hold petty grudges if you aren't on their best side.
Pros
Staff I work with
Cons
Everything else
Unfair
Cashier/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, Cheshire22 March 2018
Wilko can be a great place to work, however, over the years the management has changed and not for the better. There's no team or gratitude for the hard work you would do. No real appreciation or fairness. I started as a cashier and then moved onto a lot more responsibility - but on the same pay - is that fair? no.
I'm glad I got out when I did.
Pros
easy hours
Cons
have to work bank holidays
Nice place to work
Retail Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster22 March 2018
Nice place to work.Flexible hours.Great team and management.i work on the tills serving customers and meeting people from the local community.Team are really friendly and supportive.
Work with great people
CSA (Current Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire20 March 2018
The people who work here are great and some of the best people I’ve ever worked with but the hours are shocking better as a secondary job as hours and shifts are ever changing,
Pros
Weekly pay
Cons
Very few hours
productive
General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire17 March 2018
id be part of a small team of between 5-10 working evening. id stack shelf work merchant dice and take stock orders. time management is vital in this jobs as your only allocated a certain time frame to complete sections of the store.
okay
Level 1 till service (Former Employee) –  Bicester13 March 2018
the management was slightly slacking however they were reasonable with shifts and would try to cater to your individual situation. it felt like family
Pros
discount, reasonable pay, reasonably flexible
made me redundant
till supervisor (Former Employee) –  clowne12 March 2018
years ago, this was a company worth working for. progression was good, and training was amazing.
unfortunately, in January 2018 the company made me redundant by restructuring. so the position I had, that the company encouraged me to take, took it away from me
Pros
hours
Cons
taking my job away