Wigan Council

Wigan Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom92 reviews
Gained a position with the council a while ago. Time from application to interview was around 5 weeks. Interview was a mixture of questions about the deal and different scenarios.
Pros
Generous annual leave, paid time off sick, relaxed work environment, great colleagues
Cons
Unsociable hours, sleep enhancement rate very low
Horrible place to work, very, very clicky.

I was bullied and harrassed for ages experienced racism too and blamed for things that i hadnt done. HR were useless too. If you are an ethnic minority do not waste your time here, they cant stand diversity here at all.
Pros
Cons
Bullying culture, Poor HR processes, Vile managers
Good place to work, great environment and great colleagues. Got good support throughout as I was only an apprentice.
Come out with great qualifications which has helped me with my future
Want and expect too much for what they pay you. No job security . If your face don't fit your out .

They lie and try to big things up. The worse you are at your job it seems the higher you will go in your career

In General . They ralk a lot dont really say much. They are always busy but dont really get much dont
Wigan Council has the habit of carrying out constant restructures and making staff redundant despite suitable jobs being available within their teams. Restructure has been used by management to get rid of staff they have a personal problem with despite having no issues with performance - something I have seen in several departments. It has also been used by management as a 'stick' to work staff to their limits with the threat of restructure looming constantly. Ironically a large proportion of staff who have been made redundant by the Council and received payment are then employed elsewhere within the organisation. Wigan Council place more stock in buzz words around the deal and deal behaviours over experienced hard working staff. Good benefits in leave and flexi time.
telephone calls, reception, data input, minute taking, good team moral, flexible, one to one supervision, involved in may decision making as team meetings were a regular occurance
Wigan council do not care about you as a employee you are merely a number and if you have problems at home or fall ill or god forbid have a death in the family they do not care(unless you are a office worker) they also do not like you having a point of view or being a spokesperson for the union,Wigan council are far from being the “caring council” believe me
Awful place to work, there is no job security due to company restructures happening far too often. Pressure from managers being unnecessary and hard work.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people and children I work with. I worked in different schools across the borough from primary and high schools.
When I worked in the HR department, I loved it, I thought it was amazing, it was like a family. Everyone was so lovely and they became your friends within a couple of minutes, we all stuck together. When I left, as my job wasn't permanent in HR, and went to work for the Skills and Learning Team I was verbally bullied a lot by the woman I was supposed to work with daily and report to. I ended up in hospital due to illness and she constantly made me feel bad about not being in work as she had to do everything and said I was 'over reacting'. When I informed my manager of the bullying, nothing was done, so I kept on complaining, still nothing was done and the bullying continued. So I would be careful what department you chose to work in.
Constant restructuring.
Training, development and support is good

some management better than others, loved my job but was time to develop myself so took Early redundancy
Good employer , reasonable pay and good benefits. Good pension ,holiday leave and ability to contribute extra funds to pension through AVC,s. Flexitime and special leave arrangements.
Was OK to work for, some managers and supervisors didn't have a clue what they where doing and got in the position by either brown nosing, flashing their bits or because they knew someone higher up. Pay was terrible for the role I did and I found the place quite sexist with a different rules for the women who did the same job with same pay as the men.
Looks after thief employees well-being and development, always respected our wishes and wanted what’s was best for us.

Learned a lot also get the opportunity to grow in the company and change roles if you wish
I'm really hoping another vacancy,for another opportunity to work as a school lunchtime assistant closer to my home in kitgreen,I actually loved working at school,and miss my wages of course
Was with council for 10 years mostly unoticed and under appreciated, higher management are way over payed and look down on the hard working front line staff who are the ones working hands on and actually care about the service they provide, they get over worked under paid and get all the blame when it goes wrong .
Pros
Good work teams
Cons
Over paid bad managers, too many chiefs not enough Indians
Wigan Council is an innovative organisation always willing to try new ways of working to create the best community. The attention to detail in relation to quality has encouraged me to develop and improve my practice as an assessor/tutor.
Pros
work flexibility
Cons
n/a
This job was voluntary. So I had a mixture of different things to do. However, it provided me with good experience within the planning sector, and I would encourage people to work there.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
This review does not reflect Wigan council directly, it's a company which is a part of the council and runs cleaning, dining and caretaking of schools. Dubious management who 'fabricate' a disciplinary of their own making due to whoever pays the money. No interest in the 'duty of care', whoever ever pays is telling the truth and this company magnetises to this fact regardless of truth. I wouldn't bother personally as the management are as useful as politicians and follow the money regardless of your input. Watch your back.
Pros
Good until you meet liars.
Cons
Liars
Constant re-structures, too many managers, no accountability.
However work-life balance is good, opportunity to work from alternative bases and from home. Good salary and annual leave.
Unfortunately, I only had a voluntary contract whilst working at Wigan Council, therefore I will not be able to answer questions with great knowledge, however, I can say that I really enjoyed it