Wickes

Wickes Pay & Benefits reviews

Ok
Its good fast pace work and decent environment ... I enjoy picking and it was fair ... fast working picker and good training but it was bad on probation periods
Poorly run company that have no care for staff
The company are a minimum cost run company (as told to me by my regional manager) therefore they expect you to complete an incredible work amount for the lowest pay they can possibly give you.
Avoid!
Terrible pay for the position, no fairness in treatment of staff, some staff that don't do anything are always paid more and get away with bare minimum while other people have to do all the work without any benefits,

Low staff all the time, two people running the whole store, always missing staff cover, no consequences for people not turning up or not doing anything to help, very poor team marole.

Now onto the 5th store manager in 5 years as noone stays long enough to make the store half decent, when the going gets tough they move on, the store is very quiet and
intense and rude
while i am working at Wickes i have noticed a few things, one of the major ones being is the managers are NEVER happy. you could be given a list of jobs in a shift that would be on a stupid time frame. they never give any form of praise. you could have been given a list of 15 jobs and got 14 done in your shift and they would say well done for getting that done they would say why haven't you got this job done yet? you work to slow and need to speed up., the level of work they expect from you for being treat the way you are and on minimum wage is actually crazy.
Alright place to work at
Pacing at work was generally fine, some heavy lifting involved, customer service and product knowledge and stock rotation etc. Pay was fine, competitive when started but raised way too late to reflect changes in minimum wage cap. Good friendly team, regardless of what part of the store you worked for.
Probably the weakest bit to the job was management, which changed several times and most of the management was out of touch with other staff, almost alienating.
Worked there for 14 years
I enjoyed my job at Wickes and only left because the depot closed. My co-workers were friendly and supportive and the company benefits scheme was ok.
Keep looking
can’t move up in the business unless you’re one of the bosses favourites and no extra money for being forklift driver but a lot of extra work. Not enough staff or even hours to give out so don’t even get basic 40hrs so more rushed work stressing everyone out.
Overall good
Good place to work, very friendly staff, feels like a family. Great people.
However if you work on the tills you will be stuck there all day!!

Low salary minimum wage, not enough money for the job you're doing, especially shop floor workers.
Review
Throughout my time at wickes as a first job it was convenient but as a young and vulnerable worker it was easy for me to be taken advantage of and due to my age to be payed so little.I worked there for a year and was not happy mentally and it felt to much like a repetitive cycle which made it hard to enjoy.
£8.23 p/h for Forklift Driver in London. Absolutely shocking!
Wickes pay the absolute lowest of the low when it comes to retail. The job is more like manual labour so should definitely be more, *especially* for the forklift drivers. How can you be required to have all of the extra responsibility and skill needed to do your forklifting role, as well as the regular shop floor role while also working in London. No London Waiting or extra wage for being a forklifter. Even the cleaner is on the same money as a forklift driver. Shocking reallly!
Wickes will grind you into dust
Fast track to back pains. Heavy lifting even with doctors note. Slave driving management. Minimal contacted hours. No overtime when you want it. Minimum wage job. No progression, never earn enough from this place.
Pros
Cons
Long days on your feet
Fine company to work for.
Solid.Fine company to work for.As far as retail goes benefits are good in comparison.Good pension scheme.Good sharesave scheme.A caring employer with decent HR department.
Working briefly at London Road, Glasgow.
I worked at London Road,Glasgow at the kitchens and bathrooms for two weeks and left as I was offered a job with a greater salary. However I enjoyed the two weeks at the branch, the manager there is a credit to the company and all the sales staff very helpful and friendly.
The only negative I have is the salary otherwise this was a great place to work.
it is productive and friendly
VWhilst I enjoy workings for the company, the pay scale does not reflect the job that is done.
They have a great benefit system and pension.

There are opportunities to progress however the pay needs to be reflected better.
benefits
Cons
pay
Good Benefits and Rewards
Good place to work for work life balance, Salary is good for young people with good benefits through travis perkins. Managers were nice. Good rewards as I obtained my forklift licence through them.
Pros
long lunches
Cons
small salary for older people
Unfair management, favouritism, un engaging
Management have favourites and supports isnt always at hand when needed. Culture is good but you are expected to put in long hours. Not much integration with teams
Avoid at all costs!!!!
If I can do one good deed for today, it would be to reach as many people as possible to warn them off for even thinking about applying to go work in this place.

2 great ops managers were coincidently 'moved on' to pastures new. Great for them believe me!!! as well as the head of kitchens and bathrooms, he done his job, reached his targets, then disappeared . I salute all 3 of you!!

One was replaced by a pretty sound guy, that to no fault of his own, didn't really understand the ways in which it worked.

The other fraud was about as useful as a chocolate teapot! there's nothing worse getting a patronising email at the end of the week, after breaking every single health and safety rule in the process in a warehouse to reach your targets, that it's stock can only resemble trying to fit a watermelon through a polo. Don't forget the 2 metre rule lads!
After breaking our backs for god knows how many hours a week, youd be sure to find your inbox with an email right up top from that famous name................... HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND GUYS!.................... Please!!

I didn't need to see what the new head of kitchens and bedrooms was like as he never even came down to introduce himself to any shift. So that really shows what your big boss thinks of you.

But don't worry guys..... For all the stuff you put up, we're gonna put the coffee on free vend for you for 24 hours and give you a free burger every 6 months to soothe your aches and pains........Gee thanks boss!

Had 2 great agencies bringing in some decent workers, they were both sacked off and replaced
 - more...
Pros
It's very hot today.
Cons
Pretty much everything.
Worse Job- please Avoid
I do not even know where to start reviewing this company.
I worked here for a total of 8 months, and can honestly say it has to be the worse job I have ever had.

The management choices who they like and who they don't. If you aren't apart of the cliche you will experience bullying and poor treatment from staff and management.

The store had rats and this problem has never been sorted. Long hours, stupid shifts and no time for a social life.

It is not worth the pay- go to somewhere like B&Q that pay their staff more in benefits and wages!

I experienced a lot of bullying, harassment from management and staff. The management do not know how to run a store, a team or them selves really.

Staff left every week and new staff lasted a couple of weeks due to the treatment,
Pros
Cons
Management, Wage, Hours
First job
A typical retail job with lots and lots of returns!
Pros
Good wages for first ever job
Cons
Madsively understaffed
Good place to work but poorly paid and have to work weekends.
I spent eight years at Wickes and they were a good company to work for, the pay is minimum wage and you dont get pay rises. I was there for eight years and I was being payed the same money as someone that had just started.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Working weekends
nice place to work
friendly atmosphere, nice work pace, although wages didnt cover outgoings, hence leaving to find new work.its a nice jovb to have have as a bonus to top up income but as a ole income it not enough.
Pros
cheap decking
Cons
wages