Wickes Employee Reviews

What you make of it
Delivery Hub Manager (Former Employee) –  London18 July 2018
Wickes are a great company that does help it's colleagues with shifts ect.

But the standards of the company have went down a different route.

All management seem to be going to Selco.
Pros
Flexibility, private life
Cons
salary, no colleagues, broken promises
Great company to work for really kind managers and staff in every shop
floor worker (Current Employee) –  Watford8 July 2018
Good company to work for can be great but can also have their downsides. Hours can be a pain to get and salary isn’t the best but it’s a nice place to work
Pros
Kind managers and staff can be leanient with your hours and holidays
Cons
Work can drag, managers can be really tight with sick days and days off
Seriously don't go..
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  West London, Greater London5 July 2018
management are really poor. very hard job for the money staff company pay very low wages and take workers treat staff really bad no bonus, i would say its not worth it for 7.86 better jobs out there.
Good for Part Timers
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chorley4 July 2018
A good company for part time work as a student, and relatively flexible, but is minimum wage and options for progression are limited.Typical day consists of putting out stock and serving customers, while keeping the store neat.
Pros
Have access to Travis Perkins perks website, includes discounts and cashback at 1000+ stores, including cinemas, insurance, and holiday bookings.
Cons
Minimum pay and can be long hours.
dobra
Kierowca wózkow widlowych i gazowych (Former Employee) –  Northamptonshire28 June 2018
Mila atmosfera pomocni menagerowie. Wynagrodzenie dobre
Mostly productive and sometimes a fun place
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield22 June 2018
A typical day at work is mostly dealing with customers and putting stock away which can sometimes be phisically demanding. I learned a few things since I worked there such as teamwork, some knowledge of building supplies etc. The management at Wickes can sometimes be off or not always the best however, things get solved and there isn't many things to manage. Most colleagues are friendly but there are exceptions. The hardest part of the job is of course dealing and helping customer because they go up to you expecting you to know everything which is not the case. There really isn't an enjoyable part of this job, at least not for me.
Pros
Colleague discount
Productive and fun workplace, however very inconsistent across their stores
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire21 June 2018
I have had 2 enjoyable years working at Wickes, and it has been one of the steepest but most rewarding learning curves I've encountered so far.
Senior Management are a great team of people and the company works hard to see people succeed. They have recently increased their focus on training colleagues which has helped reduce the amount of inconsistency across it's stores.
Overall I would recommend Wickes/Travis Perkins as an employer.
Cons
Long hours, lean operation with low staffing budgets
Great place to work.
Keyholder Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear17 June 2018
I have worked for Wickes for 6+ years znd have enjoyed my time there, you work with great people all up and down the country great for people who are wanting a job with plenty overtime offered. Keeps you fit too.

The only issue I have with Wickes is the pay for the workload. The workload can be abit heavy with few staff, wickes tend not employee high numbers.

Northern stores members of staff tend it find hard to progress compared to those down the London areas.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Pay, Workload
More for less
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom14 June 2018
Good business run by marketeers who dont necessarily listen to front line teams.

Wants to be a great place to work but its the people that do that. Its hard work in Stores as the manpower is depleted and they run on minimum resources.

The best part of the job is people and customers
Didn't like it
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester11 June 2018
Regularly understaffed
Provided no shop floor training for tills staff
Routinely mocked me for not having knowledge of the shop floor instead of teaching me
Management staff uninterested, more concerned with Kitchen and Bathroom sales, than the shop floor
Loved it here great team
Customer Services Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Sittingbourne6 June 2018
I enjoyed it here loved sorting stock out inputting stock onto the computer sorting deliveries going out either to other stores or to customers speaking to customers.
Pros
shares scheme
Cons
not enough hours for me
Fast pace
Customer Service Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  hanwell1 June 2018
Due to the lack of staff throughout the company wickes became increasingly hard to work for. It continuously challenges you on a day to day basis however in turn has made me work faster and think quicker while keeping composure and making practical decisions.

You need to be able to work alone and deal with certain issues by yourself as you can be left alone a lot. That however is due to the lack of staff and is why it is so hard to work there.You need knowledge of products, however over time i've learnt a lot.

Management has always been a major issue however I have seen an improvement over the last few months and am sure the company is finally making decisions for the better.
Pros
1 hour lunch
A fun place to work
Key Holder/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire31 May 2018
A Busy store with plenty of different customers, no 2 days are the same, one can have a good banter with the traders, It's a great place too work.working on the customer service desk is busy with dealing with complaints,Customers wanting advice, Serving the customers, Answering the phones,Putting out call for floor staff. Lots of varied jobs to do ,It's never boring, this is a typical day in the life of wickes. It's an interesting place to work as you learn about all the products so you can advice the customers. the hardest part of the job heavy lifting.Its a varied culture of men and woman.
Pros
Varied shifts
Cons
not enough staff working at the same time
Workplace culture
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire27 May 2018
Fantastic values and great behaviours from people at all levels of the organisation. I enjoyed my 7 years there and learnt immensely. I would recommend this place to anyone.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear21 May 2018
I wasn't sure what to expect when I applied for a p/t job at Wickes as I hadn't worked on a shop floor before. I found the staff extremely friendly, supportive, and always willing to help out. I was surprised how knowledgeable, and how willing they were to help customers and colleagues. The management were always approachable and supportive.
Pros
Would benefit students studying a trade
Shocking manangement
Van Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Maidstone18 May 2018
Doing the job is absolutely brilliant, started off fine until new management was put in place then all down hill, shocking management always looked down at you and treated you like they own you.
Pros
Some decent people.
Fun
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hereford10 May 2018
I’ve enjoyed my time at wickes, although there have been some bad times with hours and staffing issues, there are mainly fun times to remember, and a lot of charity events to attend.
productive fun place to work with great people
Project manager retail development (Current Employee) –  National.3 May 2018
i spend a lot of time away from home visiting various stores and meeting new people. the wickes staff are all fun interesting people.

I have learnt a great deal about various types of work since leaving the army.
Pros
good staff, benifits package, rewarding.
Cons
Long hours, poor coms.
Adequate first job, just don't stick around
Customer Service Assistant, Senior CSA, Deliveries (Current Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex27 April 2018
Dreadful pay- not just the bare government minimum, but you will often have to chase for hours that haven't been registered. Multiple systems (including payroll) that the company rely on are developed by companies that no longer exist and therefore are buggy, outdated and can offer no tech support. The work is straightforward but staff tend to fall into niche roles rather than cover the entire range of responsibilities- meaning some get preferential treatment and others will be forced to cover a wider range of tasks. If you work long enough and gain enough experience with the company, they will tease you with the prospect of management roles, train you accordingly, pile on the responsibilities but then retract the position and associated pay, then expect you to work to that capacity regardless.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Dreadful pay, poor prospects
Busy
Design Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh25 April 2018
Big company , big product line. An be chaotic and disorganised but also quite fun occasionally. Good staff discount and options to partake in a bonus scheme
Pros
Fairly secure
Cons
Very little teamwork

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wickes. Our community is ready to answer.