Wickes Employee Reviews

Busy
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Basingstoke22 April 2018
Its a fun place to work at in the first couple of months once you've been there for 6+ months you get spoken to like your a piece of dirt on they're shoes. Majority of the managers are really nice and caring then you have that one colleague who thinks they are the store manager when they ain't. Your colleagues make you stay on your own whilst they go on lunch even though there is meant to be 2 people on tills, Wickes have headsets for staff but they never use them
Pros
5p to use the vending machine and a discount card you can use at quite a few stores
Cons
30 minutes to have lunch
Appalling management
Kitchen and Bathroom Designer (Current Employee) –  Croydon11 April 2018
Having worked for this company for just less than a year, I am so disappointed in the company as a whole. Management have changed in the store 4 times in the last 7 months. Each one lies and tries to put blame on to all ready over worked designers. Area Management included. They all offer support, but when asked are too busy or no where to be found. In this fast paced environment unless your face fits you will often have to wait until the client has found another solution. Training within the company is almost none existent, but yet I have seen them blame the designers when specific regulations have not been met..... Without the relevant training people will invariably get things wrong. The company tries has untrained people trying to lead trained professionals in a field that management no nothing about. The only good thing about the company is that as far as the larger companies go the commission structure is very good. This is how they keep staff, as without this all true professionals would look elsewhere. A company that does not know how to say thank you to there staff is certainly not someone I will work for an extended period of time.
If only the real top guys knew what was going on!
Pros
Wages
Cons
Management, hours, lack of gratitude, no security and managers talking behind the back of all staff
busy work day
Fork Lift Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire6 April 2018
I did many jobs during my time at wickes.
forklift driver,wall saw operator, kitchen and bathroom sales, put stock out, assist customers, cashier.
it was enjoyable
Working Enviroment
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crystal Palace, Greater London3 April 2018
Customer service, working on tills, assisting customer needs, restocking shelves, cleaning/tidying up, writing off/on found stock and handling deliveries.
family oriented
Customer Assistant/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  West Wickham28 March 2018
working at wickes was a good team leading experience. i find it to be very family oriented company. it could be either good or bad depending which side of the family you are:)
Busy
QC Inspector (Former Employee) –  Northampton27 March 2018
Wickes is a fast paced distribution centre for the whole of the UK.
Quantity over quality.
Understanding and supportive managment.
Questionable recruitment policy.
Okay work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Surrey25 March 2018
stacking shelves, taking deliveries. i learned how to sort out deliveries, cash up tills.I learned how to take control of a group of people and give them job roles.
Pros
hghgh
Cons
short hours
Terrible
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire24 March 2018
Management are terrible don't listen progress people who do not work hard if your face fits u are OK avoid at all cost if you want a career not worth working hard no thanks just OK do more
Cons
Dull and no staff morale
Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  Bracknell, Berkshire18 March 2018
I only worked here because I needed a job during college the management had superiority complexes and due to this the staff morale was minimal however it did teach me hard labour work
Pros
Cons
Staff morale
DIY and product knowledge
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol (Ashton)10 March 2018
I gained this job through work experience at the age of 15 and continued up until I joined the Armed Forces.

I thoroughly enjoyed this job due to my passion for DIY. Good company to work for with good team members (case by case).
To much wanted from you
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Croydon8 March 2018
Although I really enjoy the customer service side of the role, the cut backs on staff levels have left all colleagues unable to provide the service as well as complete tasks leading to long hours no paid overtime so regularly working 60+ hours while being paid for 39 at minimum wage
Pros
Good staff discount
Lacking Leadership
Customer Services (Former Employee) –  South of England8 March 2018
The company as a whole were good to work for but this wasnt driven down to store level. I cant speak for all stores but I believe better team work needed to be embedded. This would have enhanced the business needs and provided a better customer experience.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Insufficient support
not a bad job...
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenwich, Greater London23 February 2018
The work was fairly easy mainly involved a lot of heavy lifting and helping customers. The day in day out team members made for an enjoyable shift every time but the management were terrible. Rather sexist and homophobic. If i had different managers I'd most definitely still be working here, although the pay is insulting for the amount of work required... frankly I'm glad I'm not working there anymore.
good work experience and friendly staff
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Erith, Greater London21 February 2018
salary was different amounts each time because they would under pay or over pay people. management was appalling because managers would talk behind your back to other staff.
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pontefract, West Yorkshire14 February 2018
Wickes is ok but the pay could be much better for the hours I put in shift pattern not the best and needs working on alot of pressure on colleagues at the moment as going through re-fit in Pontefract store bonuses could be better for staff on hourly rate!
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Not a great place to work
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Maldon, Essex13 February 2018
Forced into bad shifts
Management inexperienced
Management have favourite colleges
Pay quite poor compared to other retail stores

Some colleagues work ethic is incredibly poor.
Pros
Free drink machine
Cons
Backlash from management constantly
Stressful but quite a fun workplace.
Delivery Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Midsomer Norton12 February 2018
The job is can be a stressful one as I am the only person dealing with deliveries, but there is often support if I need it. The management is good and I feel I can go to them with any issues. All colleagues and managers are relatively easy to get along with making the job better. The job often has a lot of stressful situations which is then left to me to resolve, but when issues are resolved and everything runs smoothly, the job is enjoyable as a result.
Wickes a great company to work for
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Midlands1 February 2018
I've been working for Wickes for several years now & the company has changed so much in recent years ie. Click & collect, picking your own stores deliveries etc..there is plenty to do & many variety of jobs to do yourself & delegate too... You don't really get a big wage budget for staff so it's imperative recruitment is done well as there is simply no room for passengers..... However if you have a poor store manager it can go very wrong..... But if you have a great leader that's fair & consistent the place can be so rewarding & brilliant to work in..if you treat staff like they can make a difference they might just..
Pros
Saye, TP perks scheme, colleague discount throughout entire group.
Cons
Poor regional manager
The best workplace to be if you want work/life balance
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London31 January 2018
The best part of the job is knowing that you played a part in achieving someone's project in their home. You helped a goal become a reality. Be it a paintbrush or a brand new kitchen or bathroom; you play a part as a member of the Wickes team.
The culture is about getting the job done right first time but in a great working atmosphere. No 'airs and graces' here, just humility and down to earth colleagues.
Pros
Trade till 8pm
Cons
Pay structure is well below average
Wickes Edmonton
Shop Floor Assistant and cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Greater LondonEdmonton29 January 2018
I Enjoy myself working in wickes as stuff is really nice and very helpful I get long with everyone there and the environment to work in wickes is very positive .