WHSmith Employee Reviews

fun and lovely people tomwork with
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire18 February 2018
was a lovely and challenging environment to work in. in the morning i had to sort the papers and when i left i had to re count them again. my colleagues were kind and helpful. i enjoyed tidying and keeping the ship clean the hardest part of the job was christmas because of the busyness
Saturday Job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol16 February 2018
I worked here whilst still at school mainly on the till and on the shop floor. I enjoyed working here as I love reading but it did mean that often I would end up spending my wages instore!
Pros
Reading the books
Cons
Could be quite busy
Great place to work although it can get stressful.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stansted Airport14 February 2018
Working at Stansted Airport is a mixed bag of pros and cons.
We switch around to different stores at the airport for each shift (8 stores at the airport so yeah) which can get a little annoying but it gives us the opportunity to talk to and interact with new staff and customers.
Lunch breaks are glorious: An hour long for everyone.
Pay: Decent, especially for my young age.
Customers: Mostly great but occasionally get an arrogant one
Staff: Fantastic people who try and make you feel welcome.
Overall, a great chain to work at.
Pros
Lunch breaks, pay, relations, overtime opportunities
Cons
Temperamental tills, quite long hours
Assistant/ paperboy (Current Employee) –  Selsdon, Greater London12 February 2018
It is a good workplace and they care about my wellbeing and my social life. They do not put a lot of stress on me and I am happy coming in to work and happy while I am working.
Good for a first, part-time job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bodmin, Cornwall7 February 2018
My time at WHSmith had its ups and downs. At first it was a good, fun place to work. Learning new skills and gaining experience, meeting new people and getting used to the store. As time went on I noticed that members of staff (mainly management) were quite immature and nasty. I felt personally bullied by certain members of staff. Other than poor management the job is a very nice job for a part-time thing. Not the best pay if you're under 21 and have bills to pay for.
Pros
Discounts of certain products
Cons
Poor management and not best pay
Keeping Post office's open
Customer service consultant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 February 2018
Their doing their best

They should do something for the front line though (bonus or platform for feedback)

It's still great working with the public.
Pros
The Customers
Cons
The pay is poor
Great location and friendly staff.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire2 February 2018
A typical day at work would be coming in at 7.30am to do the newspapers, this includes putting the inserts in to then put out for the customers.
After that you would usual help with putting the tills and counter cash back on shop floor and get ready to start the day on the computer.
This would then lead to opening the shop and serving customers as it's fairly busy in the morning as customers want their newspapers and lottery.
When it quietens down you usual refill drinks/confectionery and stock check them.
When another member of staff arrives you and another member of staff will be busy either doing delivery or moving stock around to different locations on shop floor. This will include heavy lifting as shelves will need to be moved.
A lot of customers need help throughout the day so you will be asked to look up a book or help find an item around the shop.
Pros
Location. The team.
Cons
Management. Money. Long hours.
Review Summary
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh Airport1 February 2018
Learned a lot about the health and saftey aspect of the work environment.

At times had to man the shop myself which gave me a lot of independance and raised my confidence.
It's okay.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London Heathrow Terminal 431 January 2018
I am in charge of books, so I deal with deliveries and make sure the shops are stocked to the max with books.

The hardest part is getting that done on time. I cannot get everything done because I am cut short by covering breaks, which is something I should not be doing. I don't mind doing it here and there, but every day? No.
productive workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex30 January 2018
dealing with the public, topping up the stock, keeping the shop floor tidy, helping customers with theirs queries. it's enjoyable to work with the public.

Want to know more about WHSmith?

Ask a question
Great workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aylesbury28 January 2018
As my first job, WHSmith was the best place to start. Management are great and training is done at a steady pace. Only disadvantage is that the wage isn't high, but overtime is always offered so at the end of the month I do get a reasonable pay cheque.
Gatwick airport
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Gatwick airport26 January 2018
Working at a airport you see different cultures and also different working practices. This is really great also you will get to meet different people and stars from film and tele
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Strange shift pattern
Early Starts and Poor management for the most part, was overall ok however
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester Airport, Greater Manchester25 January 2018
The wage was bare minimum and hours were long and early. Often shifts would be long and unchallenging and typically on your own for the duration of the shift.
Pros
Simple job
Cons
Bad hours
didnt like it at all
Bristol, Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Bristol25 January 2018
worked there when i was sixteen. terrible pay. ridiculous hours. The supervisor wasnt likeable and even lied. ummm im pretty sure they assumed i was stealing money too. checked my bag alot more than everyone else. machines are outdated. very understaffed. and its a very demanding job because of it. so in short you don.t get out what you put in.
Good company to gain valuable experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent24 January 2018
Management was very relaxed, and my colleagues were amazing to work with. The manager would sometimes avoid difficult customer situations and leave me to handle them, while this was frustrating i did gain a lot of confidence and valuable experience handling these challenges.
My training was minimal, quite unsatisfactory. So I was left to figure out a lot of things myself, but my colleagues were always very friendly and helpful.
Overall I found working here quite a stressful, first job experience. But I highly value the friendships I made with my colleagues and some of the regular customers I got to meet.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Sexist boss
Very good place to work once you get into the routine of what you're doing
Junior shop assistant. (Former Employee) –  Bolton23 January 2018
I think this is a very good place to work as the people there are all friendly and make you feel welcome, and this makes you feel more comfortable and you get your job done better
Reasonably pleasant workplace
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lonon23 January 2018
Quite mundane days, however pleasant environment. Quite young staff, however that did not affect the work day. A range of activities every day. Quite a team feel.
Excellent
Sales Assistant/ news manager (Former Employee) –  Central station , newcastle upon tyne23 January 2018
as working in travel store store opening times were 5am too cater for the early trains in the station itself
this was my first taste of retail management
work environment was a small store with few employees but this gave it a more personal family feel
Meh.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellingborough22 January 2018
Extremely disorderly and unorganised, but it was work experience, so it may have been just because I was there. Manager was very unprofessional and never knew what was going on half the time.
Pros
Some experience in the retail sector.
Cons
Long hours, no pay, no job offer after weeks of free labour.
results focused
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester20 January 2018
results focused culture still with customers at the hart of everything they do.
no such thing as a typical day as each day throws different challenges your way

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WHSmith. Our community is ready to answer.