WHSmith Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire19 August 2018
you aways had something to do no matter what, eve if you where finished doing one thing you where straight on to another..all of the staff where happy and active with everyone that came in and helped if i got into any problems or it came towards the end of the day and had nothing to do for once
Pros
Lots of help
Cons
energy consuming
Productive and Fun to work
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Bridgemere17 August 2018
Best job for young generation who would like to progress
Amazing people to work with
Not heavy jobs involved
You can grow in the company
you will be more confident with customers
Pros
free lunches
Absolutely dreadful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorset13 August 2018
This is my fourth attempt at writing a review on WHSmith???????

Anyhow, whilst Smiths are not, on the whole, a good company to work for, each individual’s experience can, in truth, only be based on the store in which they have had the misfortune to work. I am being charitable when I say that the management in the store in which I worked were incompetent, over promoted, over rated and entirely out of their depth. They spent the majority of their time texting family members/friends, chatting on the phone or talking about members of staff behind their backs ( indeed one of them would spend vast swathes of time watching videos on YouTube whilst the rest of us struggled to get through the day on the shop floor. But hey ho, what does any of that matter?).

So, people, if you are happy to work in unsafe, dirty conditions (no cleaners - the staff are expected to add housekeeping to their endless, unachievable list of tasks) for a pittance, with incompetent, lazy, two faced management at the helm, then WHSmith is the company for you.
Pros
Absolutely nothing.
Cons
Absolutely everything.
Part Time
Weekend Supervisor (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom13 August 2018
Good part time job while I was at university. No issues, staff were friendly, job was straight forward. This was several years ago so no clue what it is like now.
ok but not good wages basic
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester Airport, Greater Manchester9 August 2018
bad breaks. bad wage. bad management they dont care if your sick they leave you in shop on your own with a trainee who cant go anywhere without being escorted because of airport security and you have to be taken to the toilet
Fast paced
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol9 August 2018
Working here was great at first, felt very welcomed by other employees, and would enjoy getting up and attending the job. However things quickly changed. I asked for more hours and got what I asked for, but the downside was I was put on late shifts and had much trouble getting home as I was not allowed to leave 5 minutes early, so I'd be stranded walking home late at night (keep in mind I'm under 18). It's an okay company to work for if you don't mind being treated unfairly 99% of the time, and don''t mind being given next to nothing hours. Asked for a transfer and never heard anything back.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no proper staff room.
Ok
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire9 August 2018
OK for first time job after college. Contract was for temp work. During time at role I was treated very unfairly and forced to work on areas I wasn't employed for.
Don't Work Here!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset6 August 2018
I was one of the hardest working employees for 6 years for this company and was treated disgustingly for this. As duty manager, I was verbally and physically assaulted by a staff member, just because he didn't like the instructions I was giving him for the day, and then I was told by management that it was my fault that I was assaulted, my mental was 'irrelevant' and my social life and relationships with other colleagues were questioned.
Management will spread rumours about you and maliciously make fun of you behind your back to your colleagues, and will guilt trip you over any health issues that will stop you working.
Staff are paid minimum wage, even when given responsibilities such as key holder, and this often isn't processed properly so staff are often underpaid.
This is a toxic environment and should be avoided at all costs!
Pros
You'll appreciate your next job better after it!
Cons
Toxic staff members and toxic environment
Don't do it
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset3 August 2018
I worked at Smiths for about 1.5 years and the best part about it was the people there. Mostly students or around that age so they make good company. Pay is rubbish, it is draining work and the management are told not to even say well done. It is an okay weekend job but not a good long term solution.
A productive work environment which was very easy to get used to and learn
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lymm2 August 2018
Working at WHSmith at lymm services was a very good experience for me as it allowed me to gather what a real work environment was like. The managers were always very kind to me and never once shouted at me if I made a mistake, instead making sure I didn’t panic and then teaching me what I should’ve done instead in a very calm manner. It was a very enjoyable experience for me as I met new people who taught me everything I needed to know and were never once rude to me.
Pros
Good co-workers
Very basic job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham1 August 2018
This job was very basic but good as a first job. There wren't many benefits apart from a small amount off of products. Management had an issue with favouritism in both stores that I worked at which made working there almost unbearable some days. Salary was minimum wage and although I worked there for nearly 3 years there was no option to move up in my career. Again this was probably down to favouritism as some members of staff favoured their family members that worked there or people that had worked there a long time.
The job itself was quite dull, mostly involved standing at the till all day and putting stickers on stock, there was no excitement and nothing that involved learning something new. Not an exciting or thrilling job and didn't make me feel as though I;d walked away with anything when I left but good for a first part time job while studying.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low pay, lacking benefits, unfair management, no formal training, nothing new to do
Rude and uncaring place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Redhill, Surrey30 July 2018
I worked here for only a short amount of time and found that the management were often rude and demanding, they didn’t care for your health and I was forced to work in unsafe conditions, the salary was way below minimum wage at only £5.90 an hour. I wouldn’t recommend a job here
Pros
Supporting team members
Cons
Bad pay, long hours and unsafe work conditions
Gaining experience
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gravesend, Kent27 July 2018
As WHSmith was my first ever work placement, it was a great place to gain initial skills and experience working.

The atmosphere was very welcoming and so it was easy to learn new skills such as communicating with customers and the organization of the store.

My supervisor assigned me with tasks to do each day which I had to complete before I could leave.

My colleagues were kind and never hesitated to guide me.

The job responsibilities given to me were not that difficult as it was my first time working and I found helping the customers the easiest part of the job.
Lovely team, bad management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough27 July 2018
The team i worked with was amazing other than our new manager. They expect a manager to run 2-3 stores and ours completely ignored our shop and expected the supervisor to work as a manager without higher pay. With this in mind we were all attempting to help out with the supervisor to keep on top of deliveries and paper work, as well as store standards with even more hours being cut, which made this near on impossible.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Long hours, minimum pay, bad manager
Very fun and productive place Of work
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woolwich24 July 2018
100% would recommend working here,staff are friendly, trained whilst learning amazing work place full of happy and fun people.
Best place for hours that are flexible.
Pros
Hours are very suitable
Often productive
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hinckley24 July 2018
Only work during the weekend so it's usually busy. Duties include tidying the shop floor, inputting data into system, serving customers, answering customer enquiries, answer calls and date checking stock.
Busy workplace
Costumer Service/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Charing Cross19 July 2018
There is no typical day as in this busy enviroment there is something new every day.

The hardest part was work life balance if working late shift as store opened till midnight.
Pros
public transport access
Cons
hours
Customer service (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 July 2018
WHSmith is a good job to get started at a young age , as it is a step up in the real world with good hour jobs as well as helped me understand the function of retail.
Pros
Vouchers
Cons
Monotonous
Awful
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon16 July 2018
Didnt work there long and ended up quitting. You don't get enough support and too much pressure is put on the staff and get left on your own alot which isn't ideal especially as it os such a busy environment. Minimum wage which really surprised me especially considering the prices put on everything. Lunch breaks arent paid either .
Pros
Always something to do
Cons
Low wage, no support from manager, no paid lunchs, lone working
Productive and fun and friendly place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guildford14 July 2018
Love working for this company. They treat you well and always help you if you need it. Always room to progress.

I would say at the moment this is the best Job ive ever had.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Not being paid for lunches

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WHSmith. Our community is ready to answer.