WHSmith
Information from WHSmith:

WHSmith Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,659 reviews
Found 1,659 reviews matching the search
This job is not for the weak...
Working here can be a pleasent experience only if you have a very positive, determined and persistent mindset. Management can have moments of being harsh and inconsiderate, but if you are a worker who always performs well and is respectful and kind towards all individuals, customers and staff, then a long days work can feel accomplished and satisfactory in itself.
Awful place to work
I worked here for exactly a year in Darlington memorial hospital shop in the beginning it was ok but I soon discovered it was very stressful I was bullied and picked throughout my role as a sales assistant by my manager she picked on and belittled her staff on a daily basis in front of customers it’s actually sad because I enjoyed my job I definitely would not recommend this
Manageable yet inconsistent and often unfair
The work at WHSmith is easy enough and as long as you are provided with variety of jobs in the shift all is well, yet the management was very inconsistent, some being kind and colloquial, others by-the-book and very aware of any relaxations the other managers taught. Rules and treatment are very inconsistent and holidays are often only replied to very close to the date with a denial (despite adequate notice).
Not great although my regional manager was great!
Old fashioned, and backward company. Systems don't work and youbare not allowed to keep lights on or heating, always turning them off!
Management give you on the job training and its fast paced and convoluted.

Managers work from 8 till 6pm and Sundays. Dont reccommend. Poor advisors are paid minimum wage and have to hump.massive deliveries in daily wothoit adequetetraining.
Fond memories
Nicer atmosphere then my previous job. Mostly, staff got along well. The work was incredibly physically demanding. Your nicest day was when all your regular customers came for their morning paper one after the other. The worst day was when some rude, entitled customer (usually parent of a display-destroying brat) was be foul-mouthed and disrespectful. They'd usually complain our prices were disgraceful, and then they'd mock our intelligence for working in retail. We weren't paid well enough for those days.
Relaxed workplace and lovely team
I worked at Wh Smiths briefly and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. My manager was very understanding and the whole team were really lovely. The job was relaxed, and easy to manage and balance.
Good working environment
Exellent management and fair dealing with staff. Friendly environment, very accommodating about holidays , equal opportunity, zero percent tolerance about racism.
Love to with Whsmith.
Rubbish
Head office live in a different world to the stores. They love to brag about all the great work they do for example to do with mental health. Yet their stores are the most unhealthy places to work. Appalling pay, particularly for under 25s, appalling management, always short staffed and high workload and pressure on store staff, no standards, no proper training. The colleagues are generally nice so if you're a Sales Assistant who doesn't need much money, it can be okay if you have a nice manager, but the vast majority who try to climb the ladder fall off incredibly quickly because it is impossible. Managers are put into manager positions with no training, get overwhelmed and ill, leave. Senior management pretend they have not heard this feedback.
Great store I started. At blue water greavesend great team .
Moved 3 times for whs...opportunity is there I did ,love to work again for whs.sales assistant promoted to barkshire reading area shop floor supervisor only did, then to maidstone kent shop floor supervisor
fun workplace
Great workplace to work and also you get to talk with different customers which improve the employees confident and makes the employee more comfortable with the customers.
Pros
discounted stuff for employees
Cons
nothing
relaxed and rewarding
while doing work experience at WHSmith it was a great welcoming environment that was amazing for getting experience in stores. The staff there are amazingly friendly and will be willing to help new staff members with anything.
Pros
great people
Cons
can be standing around
Poor company
They pay badly. They give you the minimum of breaks and expect the most out of you. They do not care for there staff and it is all about saving money.
They run the company like it is in Victorian times
Slow paced and calm
It was Fun, Slow Paced yet it was also a very Calm place to work. I would recommend working there if you are looking for a job in that type of place..
fun working enviorment
Whsmith is a great company to work for, the staff are friendly and the management are very helpful and understanding.

The company is a great place to work there every day isn't the same, some day u will have good day and some day u will have stressful day but its a good place to learn and develop into a good team player and work your way up to becoming a team leader there.
It's all about the profits and the sharholders,
I started in my early years and had great opportunities to move up the career ladder. I was very fortunate that I worked under the guidance of some of the best line managers out there. I worked hard, I put the effort in, was willing to learn and it was appreciated. Fast forward a few years, I had my own branch to run and again I worked with some of the best senior managers - who embraced what I could offer and gave me plenty of opportunities to move up the career ladder again. My own career path has been very fruitful and fulfilling. Now comes the bad part. The salary was always below average, and had it not for the genuine desire to learn and grow, I wouldn't have stuck to such an underpaid job. As WHsmith started this culture of cost cutting, over the years, there is the expected redundancy exercise that takes place every year. It's got to a point where it's nothing about the hardworking staff anymore, it's all about what costs they can reduce in order to show a profit on the balance sheets. The amount of stress that anyone, from sales assistants to managers to senior managers have to bear is extraordinary! It got to the point where I had to work 7 days a week, on top of taking admin work home. The stores and post offices are always understaffed, everyone has to deal with customers always complaining about lack of staff. I have been ambushed a few times by customers demanding more staff when I was of course helpless.Staff call in sick and there's no budget for calling someone else to do overtime. It got to the point where no time could be spent on staff coaching and development - more...
Fun Place to work. Have to be keen to learn.
typical day at work :

starting shift checking taking handovers and discussing if there's anything there next team requires to be done.

learn how to deal with sensitive products like cigarettes, medicines, sharps, lottery, books/ newspaper issue and returns follow planograms for everything etc..

Its a great environment to work. colleagues are always there to help and assist if 'fresh-bees' like us are stuck.
A typical day would consist of manning the tills and restocking the shelves. All colleagues were polite and welcoming. The hardest element of the job was the tricky costumers.
Pros
Good team
productive and Fun
the work experience there was amazing. I learnt a lot and this helped me to improve my communication skills and the ability to work independently. This has allowed me to gain more skills
Don’t work for WHSmith
Awful company who don’t treat their employees with any respect at all, are more than happy to request you come in early tomorrow whilst making you feel that you have no choice but if you suddenly have an appoint that you want to make you’re made to feel bad about it, poor management never stayed until close which left all kinds of problems we couldn’t deal with and were always nit picking instead of helping you improve couldn’t wait to leave the company and thankfully found a new job, I was working at the Piccadilly station main shop
Rubbish workplace
Was made to work in the shop on my own for closing shifts, there’s almost no point in them having the self service checkouts because everyone just comes to the normal till anyway.
Not respected as staff
As a young, temporary sales assistant, I did not receive the respect I expected from my first job. I was treated more as a student than an employee, and even had to ask before I was given a payslip.