WHSmith Employee Reviews

Busy workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corby21 October 2018
I have to sort the books for each week for bestsellers, sort the drinks out eg: Coca Cola, Diet Coca Cola, Coca Cola Zero etc, sort the stock out and its proper place
Pros
nice people
Fun workplace
Retail stock assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk17 October 2018
I liked working here because of the friendly members of staff and making the shop floor tidy and interacting with customers and helping them with their buying decisions
Pros
Working
Cons
Only temp
I did yearn a lot and met some really lovely folk.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gretna14 October 2018
The other workers were great. Very supportive and helpful. The hours though were difficult for me, being a single parent, neither early or late shift suited me.
Not the place to further a career
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Caernarfon, Gwynedd11 October 2018
For the first few months, I enjoyed working here but staff experience is dependent on which store, my manager is fair and always wants the best even though we rarely see him. Work there for over a year and you'll look for something new.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
communication is heavily lacking
Good weekend work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amersham11 October 2018
WHSmith was a good company to work for through my teen years, the hours fit around my school and college life well. However I found the company does not care about their staff that much, not paying correct amounts, I couldn't access my online payslips for years and no one did anything about it when asked. The company cares to much about saving money than caring for their staff, often people having to work shifts on their own due to lack of staff and 'no budget' to hire anymore - if they did hire staff it would be school students with a 4 hour contract unable to pick up any other hours than one shift on a weekend. This created a negative environment between managers and staff with poor communication about shifts.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
lack of management and budget
fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knutsford7 October 2018
Learned to communicated with people. The hardest part of the job was doing night shifts or when i had to be in the store by myself in busy time. The most enjoyable part was to be helpful for any customers.
Part time
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands7 October 2018
This was my first job when I was 16. It was a good starting job and was ok hours to fit in with my college work. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a part time job.
friendly
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Clevedon6 October 2018
everyone is lovely, so much work to do but was all little jobs so was never stressful or put under pressure. Small place but such a good environment to work in
bad experience from the start
Sales Assistance (Former Employee) –  Heathrow, Greater London4 October 2018
not even going to waste my time, too many problems, I really don't know where to start.

From mangers to staffs, the whole thing is up in flames
senior mangers stealing from the company
staff just don't bother to show up to work and changes are you are left by yourself in a busy store which happen to me on my first week.
No response back from feedback by managers
find excuses to blame you and cover themselves
etc, etc, etc.
Pros
found a good friend that have kept in contact
Cons
everything, from management to staffs
wasnt up to my expectations
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon4 October 2018
I know it was only a work experience but I think the services there was bad I wasn't completely notified about what I was doing on my first day and I didn't really enjoy my area I worked I wished I could of done different things but the person I worked with was lovely not all was bad.
Pros
organised
Cons
not meeting people long shifts and mundane
Hard working and Continuous
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warminster, Wiltshire4 October 2018
It poor pay for what you work for. The company dont provide any support towards yourself or in different situations based around customers. Not enough training is done and therefore would be unsure in a hazardous situation. You have no choice half the time when you work and your unable to have any time off throughout large chunks of the year.
productive
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrow, Greater London3 October 2018
productive and a good experience which i truly enjoyed in the little time spent there. I think it is a great place to improve and develop your skills.
Awful company
Baker (Former Employee) –  Epsom hospital M&S3 October 2018
Absolutely awful company to work for, not paid on first pay date then made to wait 5 days for wages which are not right and can’t get hold of anyone in the payroll department all day goes to answer phone.

No training, no health and safety, contract brought to me in the middle of baking food so never seen it as manager never actually handed to me, have asked for copy haven’t received it yet, poor pay and poor management!

Sort it out WHS! Absolutely disgraceful leaving me with no money to even be able to eat for 5 days! And now the pay is wrong and doesn’t cover my bills and no one seems to Care

AVOID THIS COMPANY AND ANY M&S franchise stores!
it was okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Luton3 October 2018
The job was easy enough and the people are nice but the shift pattern is abnormal and they are heavily under staffed but overall it's a decent part time job,
Easy going environment, and great colleagues.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Skipton3 October 2018
I would open all the News delivery and check it off the delivery note to ensure all the stock was correct. Then i would display it in the correct areas and tidy along whilst i go. Remove all the old titles from the shelf and scanned them out accordingly with the correct paperwork and seal them to keep them secure. At lunchtime i would assist on the till delivery excellent customer service and reduce waiting times for the customers. I would then check the customer orders are up to date and that all the correct magazines were in the right folders.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
not enough hours
good experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton2 October 2018
although the pay wasn't good it still gave me experience in retail and was a-good first job for me. The people where relatable and even enjoyabel to Work with at times which made the hours sometimes seem shorter when you and the staff got along. a major con for WHsmith is the older customer base which is not something they can change as it is their target audience, however, I found that the majority of the customers are quite rude, and helping the customers might not always stop them on Making comments, this doesn't apply to all the customers however and some can be quite pleasant.
Pros
sometimes free chocolate if you up sold items
Cons
low pay
Terrible place to work
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Prestwick Airport30 September 2018
When working here no training was given, shift times were all over the place (part time) so it would suit the company to call me in for 4 hours (waste of fuel), poorly managed shop that didn't want to fix any broken equipment and was more interested in selling the promotion items at the till so he could get praised by the management from above, oh and if you didn't meet your weekly target your name was highlighted in red and you were singled out. Probably the worse job I've ever had!
Pros
Cons
Low wage, badly managed, forced to sell items
Ok
Relief Store Manager / Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cambridge30 September 2018
Busy
Customer focused
Difficult work life balance due to work load
Nice people
Grown with the company and seen many changes due to 18 years working there
Workplace
Part time counter staff (Former Employee) –  Banchory26 September 2018
A very dull environment on a quiet day, can talk to customers and its almost encouraged but can get very boring when there is nothing to do and no customers.
was an okay place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tonbridge, Kent25 September 2018
management wasn't always helpful and staffing was often low meaning their where few members of staff in the store, a typical day was standing behind the till serving customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WHSmith. Our community is ready to answer.