WHSmith Employee Reviews

Job security and good working culture
SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  London16 June 2018
A business Organization that has been around for a long time. Nice Team and a good working culture but could benefit from new and established business ideas for improvement in some areas.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Low pay
The people make this place what it is not the company
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bridgend14 June 2018
Worked with a lovely team of people, if it wasnt for the team of staff working together the place would fall apart. No support from manager or area manager
Pros
Staff are a great team
Cons
Manager no words are good
Bad management
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands11 June 2018
Awful management made it a horrible work environment where there were no benefits. Even having had an operation I was made to lift heavy items despite me telling them I wasn't ready. As I was the youngest worker, they treated me with no respect.
Cons
Very short breaks
a good working environment and good colleagues
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich City Centre, Norfolk10 June 2018
I worked at W H smith as part as my work experience programme at school. as a temporary part of the W H smith team i performed many different tasks from stock replenishment and pricing.

I enjoyed working at W h Smith very much it was a nice working environment and with pleasant colleagues and custom
Pros
lunch break
Nice and active workplace
sub contractor labour (Former Employee) –  Manchester9 June 2018
WHSmiths news depo was a really good place to work and i enjoyed working for the company. I was working nights seven days a week. It is organised well set out and has a fluent warehouse.
Pros
self employment
Cons
no holidays
Work Experience
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Market Drayton, Staffordshire9 June 2018
I only worked at WHSmiths for one week on work experience and it helped me with my confidence. I stocked shelves, helped unpack the orders, helped customers and completed stock reports.
good place just not felxable for family life
Sales shop assistant (Current Employee) –  Guildford8 June 2018
good work team apart from management don't like to help staff that have familys that have kids with issues and have a few hospital trips each month and don't let you move your rest day when needed to help with this.
Pros
team are fun towork with and easy going
Cons
not flexable for fmaily life
excited work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, Ilford8 June 2018
It is a good place to work and calm , all the time with things to do and speak with the clients .
go with appropriate uniform and have a good presentation for the people know who works at the store.
Pros
break times
Cons
salarie
Flexible and easy work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Homerton, Greater London7 June 2018
Working in WHS is easy but the pay is terrible. The company is understaffed. The store I worked in was nice it was inside a hospital so the people was were really sweet. But, the one thing I hated was how small the shop was you literally can’t move around and I feel so claustrophobic.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Low pay
the staff
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London5 June 2018
The staff were helpful and took a lot of time to explain the work, this made me feel more confident to work on my own. I was always given clear tasks for the day and trusted to do them independently.
Pros
the staff i worked with
Cons
management seemed hectic
Awful, worst place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 & 3 Station4 June 2018
Worst place to work in Heathrow airport, the management is awful not qualified to do their jobs, especially the team leaders which are basically useless. The working environment is horrendous in need of pest control which the company cant afford. You never get paid right , i havnt met one person which have got correct pay. It is also the lowest pay in Heathrow airport. There is always a bad vibe within the staff mainly because no one liked the team leaders. You get no benefits at all while other stores in Heathrow do. Ugly uniform, Very boring. I dont know how normal Whsmith’s operate in the high streets but in Heathrow they are terrible. Whatever you do do not join and waste your time, many better jobs out there with higher pay and better working environments. Save yourself.
Pros
Nothing at all
Cons
Everything, bad management, terrible working conditions, no benefits, low pay, wrong pay every month, boring, mice, poor technology use, all around terrible place
Okay place to work, AWFUL pay
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Rushden3 June 2018
The management at WHSmith are made up of very friendly, cooperative people. There's nothing too bad about the company, theyre very flexible and its very easy to get extra hours. However, the pay is TERRIBLE and there are no perks. It costs me half my monthly wage to fill up a tank with petrol
Pros
Flexible, friendly colleagues/management
Cons
Awful pay, can be very boring at times
fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London3 June 2018
serving customers on tills and self service checkout. dealing with customer enquires whether its about books, stationary or magazines. The work place environment is really good as long as you get along with your work colleagues.
Pros
fun, face to face communication, satisfied customers
Cons
short of staff
Needs better management but sales staff are nice and friendly
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire2 June 2018
Needs better organisation of the rota and what tasks need to be completed. some staff friendly sometimes you don't feel appreciated for what work you have done.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tiverton1 June 2018
A typical day at work I would start at 9 and stock the Shelves make sure we had enough stock then I would wait for customers to come in and help them with their shop and make sure they were happy with everything
Pros
Good friends
Great for a first job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London31 May 2018
A typical day for me would be to go into work place and fill the the newspaper supplements and put the news papers out, put the sandwiches out. We had a few difficulties managing the store due to less staff but still enjoyed my time working as there is always something to and you never get bored. Customers and so friendly to staff.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Management issues
No work life balance
Newspaper Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon28 May 2018
A typical working hour starts 12 am
- learnt how to solve problems on my own as the management was not reliable
- working independently
there was no workplace culture at all
- learnt time management as the work was seven nights
Pros
learnt to manage my time
Cons
working seven nights
Productive and quiet workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Forest Gate, Greater London27 May 2018
Although staff and manager was very nice, the place was very quiet and sometimes there wasn’t anything to do, however it was a good experience because I now know how to work with customers.
Great during Back to School and Christmas period
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London26 May 2018
My first job and gave me loads of transferable skills. A whole lot of customer interaction - which was sometimes annoying but that's what the job is.
Great when it's busy, boring when it's not.
Not that good pay for under 18s (£5.15 and I'm 17).
Loads of opportunity for overtime which is good and my manager was quite laid back about time off.
Nice contract hours, 4, 6 and 8 hour options.
Kind of thrown in the deep end with no formal training, learn on the go.
Pros
Goes quickly when it's busy
Cons
Poor pay
Average, boring job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northamptonshire26 May 2018
This was my first job and it was OK. I loved having a chat with my colleagues, they were all really nice to me and to each other, my manager was also friendly and he was always willing to give me extra hours when I wanted them and my supervisor was very supportive of me and gave me work to do when the store was quiet. Some customers I got in the store were quite rude, but for the most part they were nice and didn't mind if I messed up or took too long. I would say that the hardest part of the job is trying not to be bored - I worked a 12-8 shift during the Christmas period and almost nobody came between 5 and 8. If you're going to work here - whatever you do, don't rant about what's bad about the company, they really care about their brand image and I got in trouble for some tweets I made about them. All in all, the job was just OK - I earned money albeit being £4.68 an hour and had nice colleagues but that's all really.
Pros
Staff were friendly
Cons
Made to stand at the till for ages in a quiet store

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WHSmith. Our community is ready to answer.