WHSmith Employee Reviews

Found 1,251 reviews matching the search See all 1,341 reviews
Enjoyable and challenging
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London3 December 2018
I love engaging with new people and help to meet their needs.

Unfortunately do encounter some horrible people but life is not a bed of roses so you push forward and get on with it.

Despite a culture of devision of them and us in the workforce I find I like to be the underdog who exceeds expectations and support a team which I enjoyed.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Under appreciated
nothing good than chill work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fleet, Hampshire3 December 2018
learnt the basic of retail stuffs.
after 1 year felt kind of bored, most of the works are repeated
Basically, works are chill, except that most of the things are disaster.
productivity
Sales Assistant, I (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow27 November 2018
When working in smiths i would learn to do new things on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job in my opinion was creating new plans at CTN for new products. I learned many things through out my period working in whsmiths for example DHL delivery and ordering. The hardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers as you have to remain calm and call for assistance if need be.
Boring and low pay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walton-on-Thames26 November 2018
My manager was lovely and that was the only good thing about working at WHSmiths. My shift was 8-10 hours sometimes longer as there was not many staff. Pay is extremely low for under 18s and the job is not worth it.
Cons
low pay and long hours
Good luck you’ll need it
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London26 November 2018
Good if you are not planning to stay long and if it is your first job. Management is rude. Will not train properly. Pay is pathetic. Do not get informed anything until it’s urgent. I never knew where health supplies were or where the fire exit was even though they made me sign something that stated that I do. Contract stated that there are chairs by the till when there isn’t. Clear authority. No clear communication to subordinates.
Pros
Free gone off sweets in the staff room
Cons
Girls toilet has mold all over it
Disgraceful workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff25 November 2018
Whilst working in WHSmiths Cardiff central station, I discovered it was a total shambles and I was so relieved I left. The management was VERY disorganised and VERY unfair. The manager was not capable of their job and would even mess up the staffs pay. She came back from having 6 months paid sick and when returned had no clue what to do! On top of that, the manager received a bonus!! What for? Nothing. The team leaders are wonderful and very helpful in all circumstances, as well as other sale assistances. I will miss the people there apart from the manager and the company it’s self. You get no benefits what so ever, you’re not recognised for all the hard work you do and the pay is disgraceful for what you do! HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND!
Pros
Sale assistants/ team leaders are lovely
Cons
Pay, not thanked for what you do, management
Easily the worst place I’ve ever worked
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire24 November 2018
Basically, I couldn’t get out of this job fast enough. Communication among the team was non-existent and you were made to feel stupid if you then did something wrong because you weren’t informed. Left to fend for yourself most of the time and couldn’t get a straight answer anyway when you did ask a question! Management acted like till training on the first day was a massive gift that we should be grateful for. Erm, no. It’s kinda expected when you start a job. I witnessed the manager pulling faces and rolling eyes behind an employee’s back who was struggling with a task, instead of offering to help. You were made to feel really uncomfortable if you couldn’t work any extra hours (even though in the interview they made extra hours sound like a choice instead of an obligation). Manager threw his weight around saying he could contractually ‘enforce’ additional hours because of some clause in the company handbook (which I was never given a copy of, and I never got a contract either). I wasn’t the only one to have this problem. In general, the shop was messy and dirty. No sense of pride in presentation and tidying up at the end of every day (standard practice in retail) never happened. All I can say is this experience really pushed me to find a job in my chosen field.
Pros
Pushed me to get an awesome job
Terrbile
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside23 November 2018
Despite starting on a part-time basis in early september and working 80 hours over a 6 week period WHSmith have still not paid me and have told me that it will be until 1st December that I will recieve the money that I have earned. I have had to chase up my wages for weeks until the issue was finally sorted, I have been left in my overdraft (for which I am being charged daily). Worst employer that I have ever worked for.

Would not reccomend working for this company.
Pros
Cons
Boring
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London20 November 2018
I worked there for two weeks in the cash office. They taught me how the cash system works. I developed my confidence and communication skills throughout my time working there. It helped me to make the working environment far more pleasant and enjoyable. My job role required me to help the customers and sorting out their prescription, which I really liked.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Long, heavy work
whsmith employee
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire19 November 2018
the store is shocking very cramped and so busy hardly any space. the wage is very poor minimum wage, if I asked for a pay rise it would result in me getting fired. the management is very strict and makes me feel stressed everyday I am here. The manager is very intimidating. His instructions are not clear, rather than giving good advice, he constantly criticises every move I make. My fellow colleagues are not helpful at all - they leave me with all the difficult work and never help me if I am unsure on what too do. the hours are very long and I am the only asked to work early mornings and late evenings, with short breaks. i am offered no extra hours at all also.
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
everything else
productive
Shop floor (Former Employee) –  Lowestoft16 November 2018
wasnt there that long as it was more experince based with a group but they are very good to work for happy and always willing to put the customers first
Not Worth Your Time
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsbridge14 November 2018
I don't really know where to begin with WHSmith. Retail is a difficult sector to have a job in, but this one was a real problem. The management above me in my job were horrible people; they were selfish, but also blamed their workers for problems that never happened or weren't their fault. Not to mention, they were also manipulative, cold and in some cases flat out rude to me.

The company and management love to give you a ridiculous list of tasks both online and on paper, and it's difficult to get even half of them done on time. It's likely that you'll get yelled at or told off for a task you didn't do simply because you didn't have the time to do it.

As a member of the store, you're expected to be able to just drop things to take up hours, which can really mess with any plans you have in your personal life, because they're not a good enough reason not to come into work. That makes your personal life incredibly tense.

Perhaps the sole advantage to working all those hours is the nice paycheck you get, but you can't really call it anything more impressive than working for 30+ hours at minimum wage.

I wouldn't wish working here on anyone. It's a degrading place to work.
Pros
N/a
It was a job
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea13 November 2018
The job was okay, the company seems great to work for but with limited staff and a declining business base, job security doesn't look great for anyone working there. It's great for a part timer who is looking for some work and a little extra cash. You barely see anyone you work with when working on the tills so you can feel a little isolated.
As a worker there on my first day, I was not shown any fire exits or evacuation procedures, and as a result, when there was an evacuation the assistant manager blamed me for not listening to the, 'keeping within the law handbook,' which states the procedure; but obviously not the exits. on my first day I also was left on the tills on my own with no guidance, until the end of day, the tutorial wasn't supposed to last that long, but I was forgotten about. In fact I wasn't shown the back exit, and almost got locked inside the shop at closing time.
There is no real induction to the mental health support also, I wasn't aware we had a mental health coordinator, until a few months down the line, it turned out to be the manager there, the very same manager that constantly told me I wasn't smiling enough, considering I have depression and anxiety, it really sucked to be asked that. It wouldn't have been such a big deal personally, if I had at least been told about the mental health procedures, as after that point i felt uncomfortable disclosing, I even became so anxious I was vomiting nearly daily before and after work.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Poor management, no support for mental health and not showing where fire exits are.
productive can be quite boring sometimes
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Birstall12 November 2018
during Christmas its very busy with lots of things to do but after there is hardly no overtime and can become boring with nothing to do. Learned a lot of skills e.g customer ordering, DHL deliveries and recalls
productive and formal workplace
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Westfield Stratford City11 November 2018
I would go in organise shelves, help customers either to find products or to know which product to buy and allocate products on the shelves. As it was a productive workplace nothing happened.
Pros
Discount on products
fun workplace
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire10 November 2018
I learned how to stack objects on shelves in the store.
The hardest part of the job was talking to the customers as i never done that before.
The most enjoyable at work was that I had some laughs with the people I worked with and going on breaks.
Good place to work, just poor pay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire10 November 2018
I really enjoyed working at WhSmith. The hours, the tasks and the people were all amazing - but I left after a year due to the awful pay. The pay was not enough to even cover my bus to work as a part time employee.
Pros
The Job
Cons
The pay
a protective place to work
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth7 November 2018
I only worked there as voluntary. So I was there to stack shelfs and organised new book orders and organise new stock.
I enjoyed it when I was able to organise a new design for the store.
Pros
flexible hours opportunity to move job roles
Laid back environment
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire6 November 2018
When I was sent to WHSmith for work experience, I felt as though it was a waste of time. This is due to the bad management of the workplace as the main manager was away on leave, the substitute manager was bad at leading.
Fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ealing, Greater London4 November 2018
As this was only a work experience programme it was unpaid but has definitely given. A typical day at work would be to do any task the manager would need you to do. From this job I have learned new skills as it was my first job such as time and self management.
Pros
Very nice colleagues and long lunch times.
Cons
Unpaid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WHSmith. Our community is ready to answer.