WHSmith Employee Reviews

Interesting experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  London11 December 2017
Restocking and maintaining shelves in alphabetical order, as well as maintaining hygiene throughout the store. The job also allowed me to work in the storage room and help move new products onto display.
Pros
Close to home, First work experience
Cons
Long hours, repetitive
Nice Place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke8 December 2017
Worked in the Book Department, love reading.

Good Company to work for.

Refilling stock, ordering from reps, sit on the till and once a year do a stock take.
WHSMiths
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands5 December 2017
Working for WHSmiths definitely had its benefits. The job itself was fairly straight forward and the nature of the job was relaxed. However, the hours could sometimes be unsociable as you worked until 8pm.
Good experience
Cover driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands2 December 2017
It’s been Good experience working with WH Smith’s
Most of the working is in Night shifts dealing with
Heavy loads and loading unloading van

My overall experience is good working with them
Low Pay, poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire1 December 2017
Not a great place to work, a lot to do. dont get paid enough.
was underpaid on many occasions. too many hours.
Wouldn't recommend. There are better places to work.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Pay
Good Environment
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester1 December 2017
Good people to work with and good working environment. Pleasant company who look after their staff and make sure everything is okay. Great managers and very friendly
Fun place to work
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Salisbury28 November 2017
Cash handling dealing with customer service enquiries.. placing orders .. promoting best sellers to create sales... cash handling and till operating good customer service skills
Pros
Discounts on products
okay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corley28 November 2017
it can be stressful but you get a lot of free stuff , but staff are very rude and back satbbing they gossip liek girls and pick on people like bullies
Pros
free starbucks
Cons
busy
Productive and relaxed workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winton, Dorset27 November 2017
Had work experience here and thoroughly enjoyed and benefited from it. Management was good, introducing me to the staff and explaining roles within the job. Got going very quickly. Valuable experience.
The job was simple but required time and speed.
Would recommend applying for a role if you are looking for a part time role in the team.
Pros
Easy work, frequent breaks
Terrible!
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk25 November 2017
Management is incompetent, rotas are done the week before, never get asked to do overtime-they just put you down for it and get annoyed when you say you can’t work it. I was also duty manager and there was no communication in what had to be done.
Productive and Organised
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sittingbourne22 November 2017
Typical day includes serving customers, tidying books and stationery, dealing with enquires, answering the phone and stacking shelf with new items.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with customers complaints about prices, new products not being available in a small store and other things not in control of the staff.

Most enjoyable part is seeing the regular customers and making them very happy knowing exactly what they would like.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Unorganised rotas
fun and enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London22 November 2017
a typical day would start off with stacking shelves and clearing up aisles, if the store busy I enjoyed interacting with customers and helping them out. sometimes id work at the cashier which I enjoyed.
Pros
good hours
Cons
salary
Good for a first job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Havant, Hampshire19 November 2017
It's good for a first time job but the pay isn't great and the average day usually consists of either working behind the till or getting items out onto the shop floor.

You can learn basic retail experience like till work and customer service.
Management is okay but all are friendly.
Pros
There is always something to do.
Cons
Pay
Not Good
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London / Gatwick Airport18 November 2017
They wont pay you enough, and the breaks are terrible. My shift runner and colleagues were amazing, but you probably wouldn't enjoy this job nonetheless, due to pay and rude management, such a shame, could be better :(
Pros
Interesting days working at an airport, there are friendly people that work here
Cons
Its an extremely boring job, and not good pay
Worst Job I've ever had
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire15 November 2017
I worked at the York Train Station branch for a year or so, the team leader was vile to all the staff and you were often given shifts at the last minute without even being asked. Also it would take months of asking the manager before you could have a holiday approved and there was a big mix of early starts (5.30 am) and late finishes (9pm). The job itself was very repetitive and mundane and you were never thanked for what you'd done. You would also only be given a 20 minute break when working 8 hour shifts which is ridiculous compared to other retail companies I've worked for.
Ever more Challenging, with little prospect of progression.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Scotland15 November 2017
A great many good people work within this business. Sadly this is in decline, whilst they talk the talk when it comes to work life balance, that is not reflected in practice.

They will take and will not give back, local management are having their hands tied by those above and are relied upon even more to get the job done...without pay.

Overall, its "Not Bad" But its not great and its getting worse.
Pros
Cons
Above regional level managment.
Hardworking and eye-opening
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Croydon14 November 2017
WHSmith is a good stepping stone to find your feet in the workplace. It's a place that shows you the real world with real people. If you're nervous about public speaking, like I was when I first started, WHSmith eases you into it.
Dull
Sales assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brecon, Powys14 November 2017
In some ways it could be fairly stressful but mostly it was dull. It was a simple job to do but the atmosphere in smiths is not the most pleasant place to work and having to push sales was not something i enjoyed. However the staff were nice and it was nice selling the newspaper to the regulars
Pros
discount
Cons
3 hour contract so had to work every satuday
High maintenance and enjoyable retail workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex12 November 2017
I enjoy my current position which includes maintaining the children's books and dealing with customer enquiries. This part of my job has boosted my confidence and my social skills, which I can now apply to my future career. I am able to answer customer enquiries face to face and over the phone, which means I must be polite and job-focused.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Billericay, Essex12 November 2017
I have learnt a lot from WHSmith, such as, what it means to be a team member, how to open and close a shop, cash management, safe recs, dealing with customers, doing customer orders, putting through DHL deliveries, having a good phone manner, filing paperwork, counting the till, dealing with news deliveries and returns, scanning in stock deliveries and doing phone conferences.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with rude customers but you soon learn how to deal with that.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to see the regular customers everyday and having a chat with them.
Pros
Becoming friends with regular customers
Cons
Bad hourly pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WHSmith. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8