Whistles

Whistles Employee Reviews

United Kingdom29 reviews
The store itself and the team in Cambridge are lovely. Whistles as a company is the problem, they need to pay far more fairly. We worked really hard, spent 9+ hours a day on our feet for £7.50p/h. A luxury brand should be able to pay a fair wage at the very least.
i enjoy the job there but management were rude to any young person that worked there, the hours and wage is fair but the treatment i received was horrible and how i was spoke to was not nice.
Pros
good hours
Cons
rudeness
Really fun place to work in and I made some great friends here. Unfortunately, the salary at Whistles is not great and it is difficult to sustain a comfortable lifestyle while living in London. Management in my store was good, but overall, management in the company could be improved. There seemed to be a high amount of staff turnover which resulted in a lot of stores being understaffed. Perhaps if the salary was increased, Whistles would not be having this problem. Unfortunately, employees working in the likes of Manchester simply cannot be paid the same amount as employees working in London. The cost of living is monumentally higher in London and as I mentioned previously, sustaining a comfortable life in London seems nearly impossible on the salary that Whistles currently provides.
Pros
Very good staff discount - 75% off uniform!
Cons
Long hours.
I love working at whistles, I have grown so much over the past year being a department supervisor/ manager on the department
Great uniform allowance.

Only down side is concessions supervisors dont get the credit as a manager yet they have the same responsibilities. Lots of training anttole
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Whistles, we had a great team and working in a small store allowed us to build great relationships with our customers. Management was great and flexible with any adjustments to desired working hours. Another great perk would also be the discount allocated for uniform, as the Whistles brand is of amazing quality.
Productive and fun workplace for those interested in the fashion retail industry! I was able to develop my customer-service and communication skills, ensuring each customer was satisfied with their experience, whilst simultaneously learning about the brands products. Loved my time there.
Pros
Discounts and breaks.
I was working on a concession for whistles and the manager was just rubbish. Would blame me for numerous things when I hadn’t been trained properly or knew where half of the stuff was around the full department store. I was mainly on shifts by myself with no managerial guidance and wasn’t sure what jobs were left for me each shift.

A very lonely job as there wasn’t many people working at the concessions around mine so it was just me most of the time. I was also given all of the weekend and late shifts while the manager gave herself the weekends off.

Overall really didn’t enjoy my time working here and don’t understand how my manager had even got the job to begin with.
Had a decent couple of months here, really liked most of my colleagues and the store - my manager and another staff member were jobsworths which made it difficult to get along with them. You get discounts on clothing for your own wear and uniform - not having free uniform isn't great as you have to wear the Whistles brand and pay for the clothing out of your own money, which already isn't much.
Pros
Great co-workers, some nice picks and discount at clothing
Cons
Long shifts, low pay in comparison to competition such as Hobbs and LK Bennett, and no free uniform
Overall my love for the brand has not changed. I worked a Whistles concession in House Of Fraser so it didnt have the Whistles feel. The pay wasn't very high for me and the managers, due to this we lost 2 of our managers. The discounts were good but there was a catch (4 items per season for 75%). The main issue wasnt the brand it was the staff member I worked with. She was rude to workers and customers, would make remarks on weight and looks. Always spoke negatively and was not interested in training new staff.

Our stock room and computer room was a minuscule but that was due to HOF rather than Whistles. I would work for the brand again
Pros
Lovely brand, Discounts, Interaction with other stores
Cons
Pay isnt great
Enjoyed working with whistles, once you get a position regardless of your hourly contract all staff receive a thorough and supportive training scheme. Encouraged to ask questions and the work place culture is very positive, bar the anomalous mean coworker that every job has.
Pros
Long Lunches, Training, Allowance, Incentives
Cons
Long Hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Whistles?
If you're interested in the clothing retail sector then working at whistles is a great way to climb up the retail ladder. Enthusiasm in the workplace gets you to where you want but be prepared for long shifts and sometimes monotonous work. A good environment and an interesting company.
Pros
Working with high end fashion
Cons
Worked here to gain experience in the field of work I wanted to go into, everyone was friendly and willing to take time to help and explain things to me which I wasnt too sure of.
Fun place to work but sometimes unprefeccional managers. Employees not compensated much (minimum wage for pretty much everyone) and no commission for sales teams.
Good company to work for. Everyone who works there loves the brand and is very passionate about their job. Whistles gives progression priority to their own staff before recruiting from outside which can be very rewarding.
Cons
Low salaries
you aren't just dealing with customers you are also dealing with the orders that the customers are ordering from online . making sure the standards are all correct , (hovering , hanger check , tag check , shop floor looks top spec )
making sure the stockroom looks organised as well .

making sure the floats are correct in the tills (supervisor only )
Pros
Good discount of whistles clothing
Cons
low pay
A good company to work for with lots of perks such as the staff discount. The management is very good and work round the individuals needs. The company places great value on customer service which I feel is a big part of driving sales.
Pros
Paid for half hour breaks, good product and staff discount
Cons
Working weekends and evenings
It was the perfect place for me to work, knowing that I wanted to go into the fashion industry!
I would happily go back to working for this brand as I stopped to go to uni and get my degree!
I love working for this company. You are fully supported and managed and if you want to develop, this will happen. Amazing product and vision which gets stronger every season.
Pros
Heavily discounted clothing allowance
Cons
Salary not competitive.
My strengths have alway been customer service and interacting with people so Whistles, with it's fastidious approach to customer care was the perfect place for me to hone my skills and perfect my manner when it comes to dealing with a wide range of people in a variety of situations. Although I continue to enjoy the customer facing side of my role I just don't feel as though I am being challenged enough or being afforded the opportunity to really use my initiative and work in a way that I can take pride in. I feel that I have much more to offer an employer than my manager is currently allowing me to give.
Cons
3 flights of stairs between shop floor and stock room
I thoroughly enjoy working for Whistles alongside my university studies. I have been given extra responsibilities within my role including; completing garment and fabric specifications for new stock. These specifications have been shared amongst our other team members and used when adding to sales, giving customers further information on items they purchase.

I have had consistently supportive management allowing my retail knowledge to expand greatly. Completing weekly KPI and sales reports has given me further insight into weekly figures and the brands performance.

As an aspiring fashion buyer, looking at stock cover and which departments are under preforming or selling well has also been extremely useful. Looking at mannequin trackers and how these have effected visual sales, has allowed me to think more about merchandising of stock.
Pros
Retail experience with a luxury brand
My duties include

Delivering good customer service at all times

Awareness of the product and company history

Staying true to the brands ethos

Having a positive attitude towards the work I involve myself with