Westminster Homecare

Westminster Homecare Employee Reviews

United Kingdom182 reviews
I was trained by one of the most genuine, kind lady, who taught me to be thorough and compassionate with care. The service users and families adored her. My hours were ideal, and they planned my timetable beautifully.

In fact, my experience with this company was incredibly positive, until I called in sick prior to the start of Covid.

According to our manual, I had to give 1hr notice if off ill, as you can't go in if you're contagious.

I received abusive messages from a team leader, an aggressive phone call from management, and when I asserted myself, repeating what was written in the code of conduct and I was adhering to policy, I was dismissed.

This experience was disappointing, because the start of this role was incredibly promising. The other team leader was great at introducing me to the role, and the people out in the field were amazing to work with.

They were fair upon my leaving, I didn't return my uniform, due to Lockdown, but they ensured that I received full pay- less the DBS charge.
Pros
Great colleagues; lovely service users
Cons
Worked in the office, some staff obviously friends outside work, very uncomfortable place to work. Quite often had to fit office work and care shifts into my day, Coordinator took great delight in telling me I would have to cover an afternoon/evening shift at a moment's notice.
The way they spoke to the carers over the phone was at times disgusting, the worst place I have worked.
Pros
Would not work around family needs and felt very under appreciated by management and pushed out. You were also not paid travel time while at work if travelling with another so spent more hours traveling at work than actually getting paid for the job.
Pros
training was enjoyable and informative
Cons
management and pay work outs
Very bad company, horrible management, everyone in office is family and outside work friends, nothing stays confidential. Overloaded rotas. Talk to you like absolute dirt. They’re meant to be a care company but do not care in the slightest. They only care about money in their pockets. Very rude and arrogant, very very pushy and demanding. They’ll mess your pay up if you have to go off sick. They don’t promote equality and diversity. They’ll treat you very bad.
Cons
I was a former care worker and the level of management in the office is extremely poor. Rotas should be done in advance and last minute changes were done on the start of shift. They call constantly when driving to clients home. They do not give a toss about anything. If you have a car problem like I did the idiot in the office was making a scene down the line.
Pros
Cons
Bad management
I have worked for Westminster Home care Ltd Cheltenham Branch for six months, from he moment i started i have felt valued, supported.
I have felt listened to through out my first six months i would have no hesitation in recommending this a great company to work for.
I currently work at the Cheltenham branch. I joined westminster in January because in my previous care company I worked for I had no home life and pay wasn't great. Since working at westminster I now get to see my family and have days off. The pay is a lot better too.The staff and service users are all lovely and made me feel welcome straight away. I feel more relaxed and enjoy my job again.ananenjoy g
Pros
Lovely staff and service users
Cons
Have to work christmas
Working for Westminster Homecare for 2 years now and I never felt disrespect like in the previous company I've work for. Very good team, experience care workers, good office support. If you work hard, company recognise your effort and promotions are in the way. Good company to do a career in care.
Pros
Good staff, experienced
Cons
The stress, but it's part of the job
Great company to work for, all clients are lovely. Office staff are very helpful and supportive. It’s hard work but very rewarding. You also get the opportunity to gain qualifications and further training to progress within the company.
Pros
Rewarding career
The pay is awful, they say they pay £10+ a hour when in fact you only get half of that which isn't mentioned before you start the job, so if you work 30/45 minute shifts you only get paid £4.88 for a call. They round your money down rather than up. The manager is rude beyond words, they'll try and place you anywhere and have you covering someone else's shift, so you end up losing all clients you built relationships with. Awful. And you don't get paid for the time between your clients. Avoid!
over worked and underpaid expected to do a full days office work then continue care work later on, out of house from 0630am to 0900pm some days, company does not show care for staff, very unprofessional
The job was too stressful and they send you far from your home and giving you lesser hours .They don’t care about their staff,they only care about the job you do for them.
Exploitation, abuse, insecurity, anxiety, incompetency, slow progress, poor training, 'funny' work culture, understaffing, overloading, poor pay, if possible stay away
This has to be easily the worst company I have ever worked for. Ridiculous travel time and hours expected of you. Refuse to take no for an answer when you can’t cover a call.
All in all I was out 4 days a week, some days I’d have 1 morning call at 9:00am, then nothing until 12:00 and then nothing again until 19:00pm that night.

On the complete opposite side the next day I’d have a call at 8:00-9:00 then be expected to be at my next call at 9:00 which was half hour away by public transport.

Co-ordinator doesn’t give a toss about their carers being stressed while out in the community, as long as they have all the calls covered. Your well-being is never considered what so ever. They don’t value their carers at all.

Thought it was gonna be a great job. Was the worst year of my employment life. Left the company and have been in my new place of employment for a year now.

The best decision I ever made.

DO NOT EVEN BOTHER!

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

*plus* £3.75 an hour because you only get a half an hour call every hour is ridiculous
Very bad experience , I worked for them and they didn’t pay me at all. I do not recommend this company. I thought that will be nice experience but I was so disappointed.
some days I had very few calls and others I had too many. I loved working with the clients but I never felt respected by the office staff. nobody welcomes you when you walk into the office, they don't let you take your holiday when you want to take it and you are ignored in times of need. some staff working here make it their goal to wrongfully report staff to make themselves look better to the office. the office staff are all family and friends and you are not treated fairly if you do not know anyone in the office.
Pros
the service users are lovely
Cons
office staff do not care about workers
Regular work with Westminster, people nice to work with, alot of travelling so better if you have a car as you could be in walthamstow then your next client is in chingford. They expect you to work alternate weekends.
I was sold dreams. Was loving the learning & the atmosphere. They said if it’s too much tell us we will slow it down.
Said to them it’s too much to begin with in front of everyone as well. And I was completely embarrassed, they mugged me off. Didn’t pay me the money they owed. Said I owed them £100. Didn’t slow it down if anything increased it. Really would NOT recommend. One of the worst places I’ve been at.
I have worked for Westminster homecare for almost 3 years. They are a great company to work for and very supportive. I work three evenings a week and every weekend until lunchtime. This has allowed me to be at home with my baby and pick up my daughter from school everyday.
I had never been a carer before and always worked in an office, so was quite nervous with the career change. But I love this job, and apart from being a parent it’s the most rewarding job. You can help the elderly stay in their homes as long as they are able to with the support from you.

The office staff are very approachable and always on hand to help with any situation that occurs which could be from the job or personal.

Westminster homecare also offer you great opportunities to further your education and do courses which you don’t have to pay for.

I love working for this company and I love the fact that it’s flexible around my home life.
Shocking manager who believes that she is right about everything. She lies and continually states that she has not received reference requests therefore leaving staff who have left the company find it difficult to obtain work.
Staff are talked to in a demeaning manner and when her attitude is brought up to her, she verbally attacks you and reduces your hours. Amazing staff team. Carers love their jobs and it shows.
When you leave the company they hold onto £500 and still won’t give it back a year On called you and they say it’s for training , one of the clients attacked me and nothing was done
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westminster Homecare. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9