Westminster City Council Employee Reviews

Very good place to work for.
Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 November 2018
Very supportive manager with London weighting. Supportive colleagues and productive as well as positive atmosphere. There was room to learn new skills and promotion.
Pros
Free Training for promotion
Productive and fun place
Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London30 October 2018
I learnt a lot in Westminster, as it was my first full-time job. I learnt how the planning department runs, and how the planning applications are proccessed.

I worked with a great team, who trained me, and gave me that experience in learning.

I had the experience in going on site visits and learning the borough.
Pros
Great Place
Cons
Flexible Hours
Very productive
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  London30 October 2018
Nice managers and the team I worked with were very engaging and helpful. Everyone made me feel comfortable and made it a lot easier. They also believed in my abilities and let me carry out work.
Pros
WiFi
Cons
No free lunches
Interesting
London Homeless Street Officer (Former Employee) –  Greater London31 August 2018
I did a year as a street helper making sure the homeless knew where to go for help. Told them of their rights as well as their animals rights. Many would not be rehoused because pets were not allowed but were not told that housing had a right to consider their pets too. I was hired as I was not racially fuelled as many of the workers were and managed to get hardened rough sleepers the home and jobs they craved for and not loose their pets or have their children taken from them.

I learned that part of the problem lay in racial discrimination within the workforce as well as other rough sleepers. So the problem was massive. We managed to persuade that the police needed to be retrained in helping rather than incriminating them so our jobs as streets helpers were no longer needed. It was dangerous any way often walking alone in the dead of the night when the rough sleepers could be found.

Management were often racial fuelled also. The workplace culture was mixed so what was needed was people like myself with larger than life empathy. The hardest part of the job was dealing with these racial issues and a need to keep on reassuring the rough sleepers not to trust these individuals. The most enjoyable part of the job was reporting these people who kept these poor people rough sleeping and seeing the hardened rough sleepers no longer on the street but in safe homes.
Pros
helping
Cons
knowing the evils that actually kept the problem long term
Good place with Flexible working
Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  London24 August 2018
A good place to work with flexible working. During my time here I've learnt a lot of new skills and process and have been lucky enough to be involved in high level finance decisions.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Long hours at year end
good working environment
Care assistant at Carlton Dene/ Project worker (Former Employee) –  London18 July 2018
taking care of the elderly and people with mental heath problems in thieir home. hard work and high expectation expected. have to be able to work in a team and must be able to communicate with lots of different agency
A great place to work
Area Director (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom, London17 May 2018
Local authority that owns and outsources its housing of 22,500 housing units and other property's.

Very varied and fun place to work. Very technical in the kind of work needing to be undertaken.
Pros
Very varied work
Cons
None that I can think of
Fun place to work
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London12 April 2018
I started at 06.00in the morning driving all sorts of heavy goods lorries belonging to the council.
I leaned that it was heavy work & to work as a team.
I had a good Manager who had worked his way up the ladder.
It was a really great place to work.
The most enjoyable part of the job was it was weekly pay Friday.
Pros
Early Start
Cons
Early Finish
Productive and fun
Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  London23 January 2018
Responsible for Inspecting and checking invoices
Calculating VAT payments
Filing all statements and invoices
Liaising with employees of all levels within the organisation.
Maintaining a high level of phone etiquette when dealing with clients and all departments of the council.
I worked in a team which consisted of all ages, I at the time was quite young and thoroughly enjoyed the banter.
Pros
Variety in job role
Caring environment
Assistant Care Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 January 2018
Dealing with telephone calls from service users and members of the public.
I learned how to deal with people from different backgrounds ages and needs.
Very friendly environment.
The hardest part was attending meetings.
The most enjoyable part of the job was going on home visits.
Pros
Training courses to improve skills.
Cons
Flexible hours
Productive and i learned a lot about my borough.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London4 January 2018
On a normal day at the Westminster Youth Council i would have to arrive there at 9am wait till 10am for the team leader to arrive then set off with leaflets that have contact details for the Westminster Youth council and about what they do. that would take from up to 1hr/1hr30mins. we would come back and have lunch at 12 for 45mins. Then have an 2hr meeting about issues in the borough and ways we could fix them.
Pros
Let out early sometimes.
Cons
It would be cold when handing out leaflets.
Innovative work place
Programme Manager (Former Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London3 November 2017
Great place to work, hardworking colleagues and innovative go-getters. Fast paced and striving to do the best for residents and the community as a whole.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Building
Productive and professional work environment.
Data entry (Former Employee) –  London28 September 2017
Every morning there was a 9am meeting to set out goals throughout the day and to keep each other up to date on their current projects. First time experiencing office based work where everyone worked independently.
Pros
First office environment experience
Cons
Supervisor was too busy to give me tasks
enjoy
Section Manager (Former Employee) –  london26 September 2017
Very good working conditions. Staff were great, typical local authority in London with the same goals to meet duringh austerity. I manged a mul;ti discipline workforce in excess of 100 staff.
Some part good, yet a need for improvement
Business Administration Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Victoria, Greater London25 September 2017
There are many training opportunities within this organisation which is commendable and they are very efficient with the concept of a paperless office and using technology.
The workplace has a culture of bullying that is not addressed properly when reported and runs through all the departments. This seems to only come from the managements slightly lower down the chain such as PA's and office managers.
The Directors and the Chief Executive are hard working, respectful and contentious. They don't seem to be aware of how people are treated further down in the organisation.
The staff surveys that they send out are not 100% accurate as many people over the years have given up reporting problems as many have expressed that there is 'no point as nothing gets done.'

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with others within your team who are all dedicated on producing the finest work. and most of the time having great technology to do your job with. As mentioned before, they also have many training courses which helps employees with their professional development.

The hardest part is trying to have a good work life balance and dealing with office bulying. There are no options for part time work and in some departments there is no room for flexible working hours.
Pros
discounts at some local food places & free gym memberships to local gyms centres
Cons
not the best workplace culture
Training and contract
Cs Housing options officer (Current Employee) –  london4 September 2017
The training received at RMG is very god compared to other councils as you are able to receive complete level of training that allows you to go into more higher paid roles.
Productive busy environment
Housing Officer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London29 August 2017
It is a very busy council due the amount of people that visit the council on a daily basis threatened with homelessness. I have been given the relevant training to be able to assess clients under section 7 of the housing act. I have learnt a lot and gained a lot of experience from this.
The people that work there are very friendly and helpful. Whenever in need of support or guidance they are always very approachable.
N/a
Work place culture
Promotion opportunities
Access to good courses
Redundancy
Housing Options Officer (Former Employee) –  Marylebone, Greater London29 August 2017
Made redundant and had no rights due to not being offered a contract. I was informed on such short notice and not really given sufficient time to make alternative arrangements.
Good work place
(Consultancy) as Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  London20 August 2017
Gives you diverse opportunities.
Helped me balance my work & family.
Relaxed work culture.
Gives you growth opportunities.
Fun activities organized to keep you stress free.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westminster City Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Westminster City Council Reviews by Location