Westminster City Council

Westminster City Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom66 reviews
Fun place to work
Great place, great people. Very enjoyable. Multi sites of work, interesting problems to solve. Team was across the entire spectrum of IT so very varied.
Westminster is all about the promotion of sound sound manners, use of fluent spoken English language to encourage tourism and boost the image of the R
I enjoyed the experience of working at the City of Westminster. Working with them has encouraged me to do my best to support the government plan for the safety and security of all citizens and tourists.
Professional & Fair
A number of different offices to work from and most are in great locations. Workplace culture varies depending on office and all generally have great facilities
Not a pleasent place to work
Don't wor for their housing department as its managed by a private company who have a 0 star ratng on google. Residental management group. They're thieves and do not follow the company policy and procedure. Westminster have allowed a bunch of thug to manage their housig stock.
N/a
Excellent council to work for. Just started I January 2019 so far so good, office is in good location and managers and staff are very helpful. Shift pattern could be improved but it’s ok works with family life. Salary is ok for the work we doncant complaint.
Fun engaging place to work
I led a successful department at WAES and certainly enjoyed my time working for one of London's most vibrant of councils ( Westminster). With the adult education landscape consistently changing it was a high paced role with opportunities for career advancement, the most enjoyable element was being responsible for directly changing lives through the development of appropriate innovative strategies for widening participation and engagement community.
good place to work
working for a very busy fast pace department
Culture is changing to be more focused on developing staff

Great people to work with

Staff are engaged with and listened to

On going changes to improve services
Pros
staff development and improving services for customers
Cons
too many changes at one time
Interactive and open environment.
I was at Westminster Council as part of my school work experience for one week. I spent the time with various departments including environmental health, premises licensing and the communications team. The management structure was friendly but formal due to some of the health and safety reasons when working with the environmental health. The workplace culture was friendly and people were willing to impart advice on the various roles I fulfilled during my time there. The hardest part of the job was being in an unfamiliar environment compared to school. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all the new people and gaining experience in a office environment, especially the trust put on me when I carried out research for the communications team on neurodiversity, something I had no previous knowledge on but was able to gather information and present it to the team. I received very positive feedback for this from the communications officers.
Pros
experience in a local government environment/office
Cons
The rush hour travelling compared to walking to school at the time.
Nice place to work, mostly
I spent nearly 3 years here on a temp contract. I liked the job - it was low stress, but I was annoyed I was never offered a permanent position, despite temping for many years.

The way the country is going it's moving towards only offering temporary contracting and letting people go with 1 weeks notice. I suffered 3 years of not knowing whether I would be in a job in a weeks time - that's no way to live!

The staff were on the whole friendly and there was good rapport with the other teams. Also it was casual dress code which made it bearable.
Pros
good rapport with staff, no bullies, friendly staff, easy work, working from home allowed
Cons
long commute, no job security
Very good place to work for.
Very supportive manager with London weighting. Supportive colleagues and productive as well as positive atmosphere. There was room to learn new skills and promotion.
Pros
Free Training for promotion
Productive and fun place
I learnt a lot in Westminster, as it was my first full-time job. I learnt how the planning department runs, and how the planning applications are proccessed.

I worked with a great team, who trained me, and gave me that experience in learning.

I had the experience in going on site visits and learning the borough.
Pros
Great Place
Cons
Flexible Hours
Very productive
Nice managers and the team I worked with were very engaging and helpful. Everyone made me feel comfortable and made it a lot easier. They also believed in my abilities and let me carry out work.
Pros
WiFi
Cons
No free lunches
Interesting
I did a year as a street helper making sure the homeless knew where to go for help. Told them of their rights as well as their animals rights. Many would not be rehoused because pets were not allowed but were not told that housing had a right to consider their pets too. I was hired as I was not racially fuelled as many of the workers were and managed to get hardened rough sleepers the home and jobs they craved for and not loose their pets or have their children taken from them.

I learned that part of the problem lay in racial discrimination within the workforce as well as other rough sleepers. So the problem was massive. We managed to persuade that the police needed to be retrained in helping rather than incriminating them so our jobs as streets helpers were no longer needed. It was dangerous any way often walking alone in the dead of the night when the rough sleepers could be found.

Management were often racial fuelled also. The workplace culture was mixed so what was needed was people like myself with larger than life empathy. The hardest part of the job was dealing with these racial issues and a need to keep on reassuring the rough sleepers not to trust these individuals. The most enjoyable part of the job was reporting these people who kept these poor people rough sleeping and seeing the hardened rough sleepers no longer on the street but in safe homes.
Pros
helping
Cons
knowing the evils that actually kept the problem long term
Good place with Flexible working
A good place to work with flexible working. During my time here I've learnt a lot of new skills and process and have been lucky enough to be involved in high level finance decisions.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Long hours at year end
good working environment
taking care of the elderly and people with mental heath problems in thieir home. hard work and high expectation expected. have to be able to work in a team and must be able to communicate with lots of different agency
A great place to work
Local authority that owns and outsources its housing of 22,500 housing units and other property's.

Very varied and fun place to work. Very technical in the kind of work needing to be undertaken.
Pros
Very varied work
Cons
None that I can think of
Fun place to work
I started at 06.00in the morning driving all sorts of heavy goods lorries belonging to the council.
I leaned that it was heavy work & to work as a team.

I had a good Manager who had worked his way up the ladder.

It was a really great place to work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was it was weekly pay Friday.
Pros
Early Start
Cons
Early Finish
Productive and fun
Responsible for Inspecting and checking invoices
Calculating VAT payments

Filing all statements and invoices

Liaising with employees of all levels within the organisation.

Maintaining a high level of phone etiquette when dealing with clients and all departments of the council.

I worked in a team which consisted of all ages, I at the time was quite young and thoroughly enjoyed the banter.
Pros
Variety in job role
Caring environment
Dealing with telephone calls from service users and members of the public.
I learned how to deal with people from different backgrounds ages and needs.

Very friendly environment.

The hardest part was attending meetings.

The most enjoyable part of the job was going on home visits.
Pros
Training courses to improve skills.
Cons
Flexible hours
Productive and i learned a lot about my borough.
On a normal day at the Westminster Youth Council i would have to arrive there at 9am wait till 10am for the team leader to arrive then set off with leaflets that have contact details for the Westminster Youth council and about what they do. that would take from up to 1hr/1hr30mins. we would come back and have lunch at 12 for 45mins. Then have an 2hr meeting about issues in the borough and ways we could fix them.
Pros
Let out early sometimes.
Cons
It would be cold when handing out leaflets.
Innovative work place
Great place to work, hardworking colleagues and innovative go-getters. Fast paced and striving to do the best for residents and the community as a whole.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Building
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Westminster City Council. Our community is ready to answer.
Westminster City Council Reviews by Location