Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom25 reviews
I worked in three different roles over four years. Facilities and Estates was a lovely department. I then progressed and ended up working in a department which was so awful it made me incredibly unwell. Senior management were appalling and pulled rank. It became a nightmare to go to work. I have never experienced anything like it in my whole career.
As bank staff I go into a lot of unknown places, they are all supportive and helpful, However, it is fast paced and busy.
I booked shifts through an app and just turned up to the ward required
I worked for nearly 20 years in the trust and the job was brilliant - loved it - then management came along and spoilt everything. I had worked weds and Thursday for 15 years and then management said they were giving me two weeks notice to work mon and tues one week then wed and fri the following week or whatever they chose- explained that as a mum this wasn’t possible so threatened with disciplinary (refusing to work!) The family friendly policy disappeared! Told to work in departments that wasn’t qualified too - not given annual leave - just a few examples. My management were awful but I heard of other wards/departments which treated their staff well so it’s pot luck but I know there are a lot of disgruntled staff working there. Would never go back as it’s turned into a toxic environment where managers bully staff - I’ve escaped!
Friendly hospital, good relationships between all levels of staff and inter department. Issues with lack of resources and short staffing, but that’s the same anywhere.
Working for the Nhs I learnt alot from working in different areas wards and even Operating Theatre Observations. Had alot of support from colleagues on wards I worked on and gained alot of knowledge that was required in Nursing patients going through what at times could be described as traumatic in some cases and some quite minor
This is one of the best-rated NHS Trusts in the country, and they do try really hard, but the pressures on them to cope with a massive work-load with inadequate funding cause lots of frustrations.
Pros
Caring managers
Cons
Poor pay, difficulty in getting things done
Change into Scrubs, Get out onto the floor in Majors, Minors, the ward or Resus and you just have to muck in and do any of the jobs that are needed to be done ie ECG, Bloods, Cannulation, TPR and BPs, Helping and reassuring patients Whilst in the Dept, Training is very good and made fun by the trainers and other staff, The pay is very low for the skills you have, as in a busy dept like this you learn so much every Day .
Pros
Social life
Cons
Under staffed
As a current employee of just over 10 years, the past four have become slowly more toxic & stressful.
Staff morale has plummeted, management far less empathetic & caring, and budgets slashed to the bone - except for the medical & surgical departments.

Whilst most of the shop floor workforce you'll meet, are polite & all to happy to help, If you're expecting your manager to listen to any concerns you have, or, to assist you with anything, then forget it.

Most managers are now so pressured, that they take their frustration & bad mood out on the humble foot soldier.

As little as 5-6 years ago, I would have happily recommended this trust as a good place to work.

Sadly, I would not recommend it now.
Pros
Good holiday allowance, hours, convenient parking.
Cons
Bullying management & stressful culture.
Working here has been a pleasure. The trust really values its staff and the staff respond by working hard to ensure the trust is as good as it can possibly be
A great work ethos that supports its employees to learn and develop. Friendly atmosphere and well managed. Would recommend as a place to work in the NHS.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust?
I would say that the quality of experience working for this employer is dependent upon the management chain that you fall under. Immediate colleagues are wonderful caring people who will go the extra mile for a patient. There is generally a culture of wanting to improve the service, but again this is dependent upon management. The holidays and benefits, such as employment agreements enjoyed as part of your contract are very good, even though the pay is not. I have mainly enjoyed working here and being part of a small and a much wider team, however the obstructionist way that some management carry out their duties, is detrimental to the quality of the service, and the obvious budgetary restraints also mean that it is sometimes impossible to deliver the standard of service that you would wish for. The best thing about the job is the patients and the amazing hard working colleagues. The hardest part is settling for less than the standard of service you would wish to deliver.
Pros
Job security, Terms and Conditions of contract.
Cons
Budgetary restraints, complacency, and bad management
Not enough regular hours, work and life balance. Choice of work also not balanced. Work culture sometimes not productive in parts of duties, support mixed at times.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Irregular hours..
Numerous telephone calls incoming and outgoing. Heavy workload and targets. I learnt a lot about conditions relating to the brain and nervous system.
Pros
Great to be in a position to make a positive difference to a patient's day.
Cons
Limited resources.
Only work here if you are medical or management as you are treated well if you are at the lower end of pay scale then be prepared to be taken for granted,bullied and ignored.You are very much a number and not a person here despite all the rhetoric from management.
Pros
Excellent co workers in my department
Cons
Poor management.
After working for wsht for 17 years, no goodbye or thank you from management, you're just a number. Very unappreciated for the hard work all nurses do. Shifts added on to your week without asking. The reply was by matron if you can't work it "take it unpaid, don't like it you know where the door is " very poor attitude to have. This is why I left.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Long hours, poor pay
- Failed to Get paid on time
- No install work, all contracted out

- No Payed overtime as promised

- Expected to work overtime

- good team to work in.
Cons
no future prospects
I moved from retail to langley green mental health hospital.
The support there was brilliant, the team small but very friendly and I so enjoyed working with them but also experiencing mental health and seeing the wonderful thing's that are done to make peoples lives better.

I only left due to not having a functioning dispensary there and for me I missed it too much, hence leaving, but the experience and opportunities to progress are huge and with the team there too the job and your future is what you make it.
Pros
Free parking, no weekends, nice hours
Cons
No functioning dispensary
I drive around the area transporting blood samples, medication and important documentation between NHS surgeries and hospital sites
lovely place to work, rewarding and very friendly staff.

I loved looking after the patients in all different wards.

a great place to learn
I
am working as a senior care assistant....good support care given.....Administrative medication..Allocation making....to mantain out put and intake....
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long
I was very proud to work for WSHFT. Working as a PA to the Facilities Director was very rewarding and my co-workers were great.
Pros
Proud place to work
Cons
No Parking
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Reviews by Job Title