Western Sussex Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Could be so much better.
Current employee. (Current Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex4 March 2019
As a current employee of just over 10 years, the past four have become slowly more toxic & stressful.
Staff morale has plummeted, management far less empathetic & caring, and budgets slashed to the bone - except for the medical & surgical departments.
Whilst most of the shop floor workforce you'll meet, are polite & all to happy to help, If you're expecting your manager to listen to any concerns you have, or, to assist you with anything, then forget it.
Most managers are now so pressured, that they take their frustration & bad mood out on the humble foot soldier.
As little as 5-6 years ago, I would have happily recommended this trust as a good place to work.
Sadly, I would not recommend it now.
Pros
Good holiday allowance, hours, convenient parking.
Cons
Bullying management & stressful culture.
Amazing NHS Trust
Band 6 Anticoagulant Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chichester24 May 2018
Working here has been a pleasure. The trust really values its staff and the staff respond by working hard to ensure the trust is as good as it can possibly be
Caring Colleagues
Orthoptic Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chichester17 March 2018
I would say that the quality of experience working for this employer is dependent upon the management chain that you fall under. Immediate colleagues are wonderful caring people who will go the extra mile for a patient. There is generally a culture of wanting to improve the service, but again this is dependent upon management. The holidays and benefits, such as employment agreements enjoyed as part of your contract are very good, even though the pay is not. I have mainly enjoyed working here and being part of a small and a much wider team, however the obstructionist way that some management carry out their duties, is detrimental to the quality of the service, and the obvious budgetary restraints also mean that it is sometimes impossible to deliver the standard of service that you would wish for. The best thing about the job is the patients and the amazing hard working colleagues. The hardest part is settling for less than the standard of service you would wish to deliver.
Pros
Job security, Terms and Conditions of contract.
Cons
Budgetary restraints, complacency, and bad management
Not enough regular hours.
Hospital Porter (Current Employee) –  Worthing14 February 2018
Not enough regular hours, work and life balance. Choice of work also not balanced. Work culture sometimes not productive in parts of duties, support mixed at times.
Pros
n/a
Cons
Irregular hours..
Hard but Rewarding Work
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Worthing13 February 2018
Numerous telephone calls incoming and outgoing. Heavy workload and targets. I learnt a lot about conditions relating to the brain and nervous system.
Pros
Great to be in a position to make a positive difference to a patient's day.
Cons
Limited resources.
Poor management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Chichester22 October 2017
Only work here if you are medical or management as you are treated well if you are at the lower end of pay scale then be prepared to be taken for granted,bullied and ignored.You are very much a number and not a person here despite all the rhetoric from management.
Pros
Excellent co workers in my department
Cons
Poor management.
Good team. Poor management
HCA (Former Employee) –  Surgery13 September 2017
After working for wsht for 17 years, no goodbye or thank you from management, you're just a number. Very unappreciated for the hard work all nurses do. Shifts added on to your week without asking. The reply was by matron if you can't work it "take it unpaid, don't like it you know where the door is " very poor attitude to have. This is why I left.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Long hours, poor pay
Electrical Apprentice
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Sussex3 April 2017
- Failed to Get paid on time
- No install work, all contracted out
- No Payed overtime as promised
- Expected to work overtime
- good team to work in.
Cons
no future prospects
Lg mental health
Tech band 4 (Former Employee) –  Crawley langley green mental health5 February 2017
I moved from retail to langley green mental health hospital.
The support there was brilliant, the team small but very friendly and I so enjoyed working with them but also experiencing mental health and seeing the wonderful thing's that are done to make peoples lives better.
I only left due to not having a functioning dispensary there and for me I missed it too much, hence leaving, but the experience and opportunities to progress are huge and with the team there too the job and your future is what you make it.
Pros
Free parking, no weekends, nice hours
Cons
No functioning dispensary
Bank transport driver
bank driver (Current Employee) –  worthing16 June 2016
I drive around the area transporting blood samples, medication and important documentation between NHS surgeries and hospital sites
Fun and rewarding
Auxillary Nurse and Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Chichester19 April 2016
lovely place to work, rewarding and very friendly staff.

I loved looking after the patients in all different wards.

a great place to learn
lobs wood hose
senior support worker (Current Employee) –  Littlehampton24 January 2016
I
am working as a senior care assistant....good support care given.....Administrative medication..Allocation making....to mantain out put and intake....
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long
Hierachy Managment
Medical HR Officer (Former Employee) –  Worthing12 January 2016
I was very proud to work for WSHFT. Working as a PA to the Facilities Director was very rewarding and my co-workers were great.
Pros
Proud place to work
Cons
No Parking
Toxic Culture
Senior Management (Former Employee) –  Worthing & St Richards18 June 2015
Dictatorial top-down style of management that prohibits innovation. Demands from the Executive team members are sent down the chain of command with little or no respect for the staff especially those that are patient-facing. HR are completely unwilling to address any conflict that relates to senior executives. I would not recommend working for this organisation.
Pros
Seaside location
Cons
Poor management from the top.
Excellent place to work but lack of progression
Desktop Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chichester, ENG7 April 2015
The department was very controlled and was not many chances of progression. Management were mediocre at times but others showed interest and can see the eagerness to do projects and progression.

Co-workers are excellent and helpful. Lot of assistance when first started and the documentation was available if you dug down to find.

co-workers also made time after work or during weekends for other hobbies and interests to make friendship easier.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the support you give is assisting help save lives by saving time.
Pros
Good colleagues and staff
Cons
30 minute lunch, poor departmental management most of time
Supportive work environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Worthing, ENG30 September 2014
A typical day would be working a 12+1/2 hr shift in the day or night. I learned many skills, such as suturing, which as a nurse you would not get the opportunity to learn anywhere else. Management were friendly and supportive and willing to teach you everything they know. Co-workers worked well together as a team, using a different skill mix in each situation according to who has the most experience.
The hardest part of the job was changing from working nights for a week to suddenly being back on daytime hours.
I enjoyed meeting people and learning about their lives and what had happened for them to end up in Accident and Emergency. Meeting people from so many different backgrounds I find fascinating,
Pros
diversity to work many areas of the department
Cons
A not-for-profit organisation providing medical care
Domestic Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chichester West Sussex23 October 2013
An interesting organisation to work for which has taught me the fundamentals of being a focused person in business management. A typical day cannot be planned as this type of environment is all about thinking on your feet, acting fast, and always expect the unexpected. It's important to be able to work as part of a team to enable to achieve the highest results and outcomes. Working alone is also a large part of my job role. The hardest part of my job is not being able to be working 24 hours a day and the most enjoyable part of my job role is watching and helping others succeed. My organisational skills are always relied upon in order to strive and achieve the best results.
Pros
Meeting many different people from colleagues to customers, to patients.
Cons
Working rotating shifts sometimes.