Western Power Distribution

Western Power Distribution Employee Reviews

United Kingdom36 reviews
I am currently a temp at WPD but looking to be become permanent, its very flexible and a nice environment to work , i am part time but can pick up extra when i need to
The teams are all friendly and the atmosphere is happy. You really get looked after as an employee. Salary is good, flexi time is available. There is parking,
A nice atmosphere in the work place, friendly staff, on site car park, good location. A large working office open plan, on site 24 hour security, plenty of staff and people on site.
Pros
Kitchen on site
Cons
No flexible working
Great company to work for. Friendly motivated staff and great managment creating a positive working environment. Excellent salary and pensions scheme.
Good company but gradually being changed from above with more paperwork, less time for jobs, more scrutiny and less trust towards employees. But still a good company to work for just not as good as previously
Good environment

Understanding

Various routes

Facilities

Secure parking

Flexible hours and flex days
Brilliant Employer, Fair and Great Team Atmosphere.
Excellent training provided on various computer systems.

Kept up to date with company policy and company news.
Pros
Great communication and atmosphere
Cons
No room for advancement
My time at western power distribution gave me a great insight to the electrical field. the company has amazing training facilities for all levels of abilities. it is a great company to work for and id recommend them to anyone.
• Scanning, answering the phone and welcoming clients – first point of contact
• Organising word processing letters/documents

• Updating of database to book new appointments, managing databases and filing systems

• Cleaning, photocopying, shredding, dealing with post

• Managing general administration

• Taking deliveries

• Booking meeting rooms and organising diaries

• Working to deadlines

• Organising training courses at the training centre

• Booking and arranging travel, transport and accommodation

• Creating invoices and purchase orders

• Liaising with staff, suppliers and clients
Pros
parking
great place to work good start in the morning at the office waiting to get called out to a job they supply all need equipment, good working with nice people.
I Spent a week on work experience here and enjoyed every minute, also I found it very interesting finding out about all aspects of the company. I mostly enjoyed the site visits.
I have found that this company, overall, is a great place to be, the people are great and the day to day plod along work is a fair pace that always give you new challenges to face and overcome. Also its a great feeling when you manage to get the lights back on after a terrible fault of in the middle of nowhere where people are heavily reliant on power. The issues with this job as are follows, the training at the centres is fantastic but the follow up on site is terrible, the training you are given is not often related to what actually happens on site and there seems to be a culture of "we do it this way because its easier and we're under heavy time pressures". The sheer volume/array of work is astounding, they are the true definition of jack of all trades master of none. Also the "throw you in at the deep end" mentally is heavily exercised here, sink or swim seems to be the motto. Also the 24hour standbys can be brutal, you can get the next day off but that doesnt help you when youve spent 24hours on a friday or saturday fault fixing which in turn ruins your entire weekend. Two thumbs up to salary, people and overall rating, 2 thumbs down to business attitude, time pressures, work loads, unrealistic expectation and on the job training.
Did my job in a professional manner with very little guidance from above.Management guidance could have and probably should have been better, a slightly rogue department on rules compared to the rest of the company which some might enjoy more than myself.Still overall an enjoyable experience
Pros
Paid on time and good quality work
Cons
Contract renewed every month
Before becoming Western Power Distribution the company I worked for was Central Networks. It was quite possibly the best job I have ever had and I still miss it today. I had huge responsibility throughout Notts, Derby and Lincs. I was always more than happy to work beyond my means and felt appreciation for it.
During the new structure the atmosphere started to change as new jobs were created with higher experience levels and fewer jobs remained with a high number of employees wanting to apply for them.

Sadly I was displaced and 'under qualified' at 32 weeks pregnant and was eventually made redundant.
Pros
Approachable and friendly management (Central Networks)
i enjoyed my weeks work experience as my work colleagues were very friendly and very much took care of me all week. also the management team was great during my time there
Pros
close to home
No two days are ever the same working for Western Power, it keeps the job really interesting. The company has a strong customer focus and the employees are looked after. There is plenty of opportunity for career progression.
Pros
Interesting
Cons
Anti social hours
Happy with this company good rates of pay and pension scheme.
Not a huge amount of room for progression when you get to a certain level.

Interesting job
Good company to work for, with each day been different, not often at same location 2 days in a row an there was a mixture of jobs each day.
There are plenty of opportunities to further your career. Sometimes working hours could be long and very unsociable.
Pros
Good career opportunities
Cons
Sometimes hours were very unsociable
A great work place to work, the work place culture was brilliant a fantastic place to work, No same day the same within this middle management every day was enjoyable.
Pros
Being There
Cons
Safety is paramount to the Public and Employees.
Keep shutdown time to a minimum.

The learning curve is on going.

Great atmosphere is essential to give for good team spirit.

Employees not afraid to interchange between teams.
This was a brilliant company to work for, hours were 8am - 4pm Monday - Friday which suited me fine. The people I worked with at the two different depots were lovely and helpful.