Western Power Distribution Employee Reviews

Good Experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  East Midlands5 April 2018
I Spent a week on work experience here and enjoyed every minute, also I found it very interesting finding out about all aspects of the company. I mostly enjoyed the site visits.
Great people, poor job role definition
Electrical Technician (Current Employee) –  Kettering27 March 2018
I have found that this company, overall, is a great place to be, the people are great and the day to day plod along work is a fair pace that always give you new challenges to face and overcome. Also its a great feeling when you manage to get the lights back on after a terrible fault of in the middle of nowhere where people are heavily reliant on power. The issues with this job as are follows, the training at the centres is fantastic but the follow up on site is terrible, the training you are given is not often related to what actually happens on site and there seems to be a culture of "we do it this way because its easier and we're under heavy time pressures". The sheer volume/array of work is astounding, they are the true definition of jack of all trades master of none. Also the "throw you in at the deep end" mentally is heavily exercised here, sink or swim seems to be the motto. Also the 24hour standbys can be brutal, you can get the next day off but that doesnt help you when youve spent 24hours on a friday or saturday fault fixing which in turn ruins your entire weekend. Two thumbs up to salary, people and overall rating, 2 thumbs down to business attitude, time pressures, work loads, unrealistic expectation and on the job training.
Doing your job
Revenue Protection Officer (Former Employee) –  Tipton2 December 2017
Did my job in a professional manner with very little guidance from above.Management guidance could have and probably should have been better, a slightly rogue department on rules compared to the rest of the company which some might enjoy more than myself.Still overall an enjoyable experience
Pros
Paid on time and good quality work
Cons
Contract renewed every month
Easy going and relaxed environment (Central Networks)
New Connections Resource Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Bilborough27 August 2017
Before becoming Western Power Distribution the company I worked for was Central Networks. It was quite possibly the best job I have ever had and I still miss it today. I had huge responsibility throughout Notts, Derby and Lincs. I was always more than happy to work beyond my means and felt appreciation for it.
During the new structure the atmosphere started to change as new jobs were created with higher experience levels and fewer jobs remained with a high number of employees wanting to apply for them.
Sadly I was displaced and 'under qualified' at 32 weeks pregnant and was eventually made redundant.
Pros
Approachable and friendly management (Central Networks)
Friendly colleagues and management
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff26 June 2017
i enjoyed my weeks work experience as my work colleagues were very friendly and very much took care of me all week. also the management team was great during my time there
Pros
close to home
Busy but enjoyable
Engineer (Current Employee) –  East Midlands25 May 2017
No two days are ever the same working for Western Power, it keeps the job really interesting. The company has a strong customer focus and the employees are looked after. There is plenty of opportunity for career progression.
Pros
Interesting
Cons
Anti social hours
Technician (Former Employee) –  West Midlands17 May 2017
Happy with this company good rates of pay and pension scheme.
Not a huge amount of room for progression when you get to a certain level.
Interesting job
Good compant to work for
Jointers Mate (Former Employee) –  Tipton, West Midlands17 May 2017
Good company to work for, with each day been different, not often at same location 2 days in a row an there was a mixture of jobs each day.
There are plenty of opportunities to further your career. Sometimes working hours could be long and very unsociable.
Pros
Good career opportunities
Cons
Sometimes hours were very unsociable
Fun work place
Technician 6 (SAP) (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire27 March 2017
A great work place to work, the work place culture was brilliant a fantastic place to work, No same day the same within this middle management every day was enjoyable.
Pros
Being There
Very Professional
EHV Engineer (Current Employee) –  South Wales26 March 2017
Safety is paramount to the Public and Employees.
Keep shutdown time to a minimum.
The learning curve is on going.
Great atmosphere is essential to give for good team spirit.
Employees not afraid to interchange between teams.
Great Company
Administration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 March 2017
This was a brilliant company to work for, hours were 8am - 4pm Monday - Friday which suited me fine. The people I worked with at the two different depots were lovely and helpful.
good place to work
linesman (Former Employee) –  stoke14 March 2017
I am looking for a more local position. In 2014 I left to become a contractor which meant me traveling a lot more. I am wanting a more local career.I enjoy this job and being outside in the elements working as a group and finishing a job on time and within the health and safety rules
Pros
good work
Cons
travelling
Was a very well run and excellent company to work for.
Incident Room Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Tipton Dudley West Midlands23 January 2017
I worked at Western Power for 15 years I accomplished a number of skills not only in the job but also in life, they were a very good company to work for with an excellent rate of pay, I learned skills in computers, phone answering/communication skills, printer/copier, plus many other office duties, I worked with some fantastic people who at the end were more like family than colleagues I miss them dearly, there was a lot of stress when it was busy but you learn to cope with that and we all helped each other at those times.
Pros
Working for a great company and lovely people.
Cons
Shifts were sometimes hard.
Productive & rewarding
Jointers Mate (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol11 December 2016
professional, on time, rewarding. They supply everything that you need e.g boots, overalls & gloves when you start. Everyone is friendly and the environment was fun.
Productive and busy workplace.
Trainee Engineer (Former Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire8 December 2016
Work day began at 9 and finished at 3, was not requested/expected to stay later or be in earlier.
Here I learned how to behave in a working environment, how to use new programs relevant to that job and also gained a better understanding of what is expected of me an an employee/trainee.
Was not attending long enough to form an opinion on the management.
Co-workers were friendly and helped me to achieve a better understanding of what I needed to do if I was struggling.
The hardest part of the job was learning to use new software.
Most enjoyable part of the job was being onsite observing how different equipment was used for specific purposes.
Great company
Planner (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire4 December 2016
Western Power is a great company to work for. I worked some incredible people who were immensely intelligent. The work load was intense and the pressure was always there. I learnt a lot about electricity distribution, I also learnt a lot about time management and being efficient and proactive.
Pros
Experience and job security
Cons
Rigid structure with a black and white approach to mistakes and errors.
Dead end job
Mapping centre staff (Current Employee) –  Tipton, West Midlands30 November 2016
No advancement, bullying of staff rife if your presence offends the manager. Colleagues awful to work with more like A prison than a place of work. Witnessed staff bullied out of roles because their face doesn't fit. Advancement is reserved for family members only.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No advancement, petty staff, unrealistic targets
Challenging work with a great team
Records Clerk and Contact Centre Advisor (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington24 November 2015
Great place to work with great people who became lifelong friends. A fast paced environment which introduced me to deadlines although none where unrealistic. Excellent career prospects and easy to move around the company and plenty of promotion opportunities. The most enjoyable part was the diversity of the job and great atmosphere. No day was ever the same and my skills grew immensely with this company.
Pros
Christmas Party, Free Dinners, Excellent Colleagues
Cons
Stressful at times and too far to travel
Excellent working culture.
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Tipton, ENG16 October 2015
WPD is an excellent place to work. With good management at the helm and great colleagues with consistently interesting work load, I have really enjoyed my time there.
Fun place to work
Temporary Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  bristol26 July 2015
A typical day would start with being given work to do and always knowing where to get support. Management is fantastic as communication within this company is strong. Co-workers support each other well and that makes it the most enjoyable part of the day.
Pros
working hours
Cons
n/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Western Power Distribution. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5