West Yorkshire Police

West Yorkshire Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom128 reviews
Not bad place
Not bad place to work , but a lot of little cliques and unless you willing to kiss behind of the DI or play golf at his local club or unless you very attractive (females) you wont be climbing ladder very quickly!!
Hard to progress
Hard to progress if you are a civilian employee. can be treated differently and unfairly. Lack of support and training and no tutor. Sink or swim mentality
Dreadful
I would not recommend working for this organisation at all. If you do not 'fit in' your life will be made intolerable. I was bullied out of my role because of my mental health. There was no support from management whatsoever. If you 'toady' up to management you will do brilliantly. There is very much a 'clique' culture and if you cross one member then they will ALL turn on you and make it very difficult for you. Seriously avoid this organisation at all costs.
Lack of appreciation
Sadly the organisation has lost its way with low morale and excessive workloads, lip service is paid to work-life balance and once a tick in a box is achieved that is deemed satisfactory.
staff are worried about raising issues for fear of repercussions or blocks to development.

The good part is that you get to work with committed, dedicated compassionate staff on the whole,but sadly all too often these are unappreciated
Busy work environment which can be very stressful at times.
Working as part of a team in a very busy work environment. Most difficult part is maintaining a clear and level head under what can be very stressful situations, particularly as all areas are covered by CCTV where every word and action is recorded for safety reasons.
Working with a good team can make this job much easier and more enjoyable, particularly if you have good senior managers.
Hard work good friends rewarding
Fast paced these days, many computerised systems
Good friends

Chances to move from unit to unit and gain promotion

Good salary

Good sickness and insurance benefits
Love working for WYP, wish we were paid more.
I love working for WYP. I feel ready to move on and earn more but there is a lack of well paid civilian job opportunities to progress to. The job is exciting, fast paced and stressful and completely ruins you for other more boring jobs! If you dont mind being over worked and underpaid WYP is a good organisation to work for!
Police Officer
Best job in the world. You get to meet and deal with all kinds of people. It is a real privilege to have worked as a police officer. i would definitely recommend it
Manager was a bully
Managers belittled me in front of the rest of the staff, I was a support staff worker, there was know job security. The only thing I took from this job was working with the victims of crime and making then feel saver.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay
Not for everyone
You get what you give in this job. Stress, fast paced and always demanding this is not for the faint hearted but it is also about protecting people and communities and the work is thrilling and vital. Will cause issues with relationships for definite.
West Yorkshire Police
Long days and nights working a shift pattern of 6 days on 4 days off. However I work 57 hours in the 6 days and get paid poorly not only for the hours but the shifts and weekend working.
Terrible culture and an organisation unsure of its identity
West Yorkshire Police has a strong culture and there have been efforts to modernise the service for well over a decade now.
The reality is that West Yorkshire Police claims to be diverse, open and transparent but they are not.

The culture of racism, homophobia, sexism and jobs for the boys still exists.

It’s a backwards organisation which barely reflects modern society. Do your research before you take the job.
Poor to work for
Since osterity police staff have taken the brunt of cost cutting ,not had a proper wage rise in 9 years , unions estimate we are £ 4000 adrift if gross wage in this period , still don't feel secure in position
Professional and Proud
My time with West Yorkshire Police in this role will always have my fondest memories. Supervision and management really do appreciate hard work and effort that us put in. A typical day within this role could be responding to reports of criminal damage and taking the crime report, to next responding to a serious road collision, the day really is dynamic and changes.
Worthwhile but stressful
the daily working environment was variable. Part of my role was a beat area I would walk daily responding to calls for varying levels of service. The environment could be physically demanding, potentially dangerous and hard work
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
long hours, very demanding
Professional
I have been a police officer for nearly 20 years and recently transferred to West Yorkshire Police and I have found West Yorkshire Police to be very professional. However, due to personal circumstances and high profile changes within policing, I am now looking at other employment possibilities.
Professional and productive workplace
A team focusing on change management within a driven culture and environment bringing together a range of skill sets from various police and civilian backgrounds.
Give it a Go
I worked front line for West Yorkshire Police for 30 years and have to say I dont know where the years have gone.
Pay and conditions have deteriorated, but that is the same for all public sector and pension contributions are on the increase.

Worked with some great and memorable people, with some good times and some bad times, but the good times always outweighed the bad times.

If you want an inside view into the Police prior to applying, then consider becoming a Special Constable.
Avoid this organisation
Avoid working here, not nice people, all they do is gossip about the colleagues. No professional manner. When I wanted to apply pay work, no chance. It's a racist organisation only for White British. If ethic minority apply as a Police officer no chance of getting in. Equal opportunities in the application form, it's a words only on display.
positive
west Yorkshire police is a very large police force serving the community of west Yorkshire . they are underfunded and do not deal well with change they do not promote alternative thinking and stick rigidly to set protocols
Opinion of Information Management
There is no such thing as an average day, anything can happen, especially in information governance and information security. A typical day will constitute dealing with minor incidents such as a lost ID card or lost handheld device which is mitigated easily and these are business as usual for this area of work.

There will always be phone calls asking for advice on disclosure of information especially since the introduction of the new General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). Sometimes these will be answered easily and sometimes there will need to be research into the correct answer or liaison with colleagues in other areas of business such as Freedom of Information or Rights of Access. There is also work alongside Subject Matter Experts on the new requirement for Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIA) which can lead to the need for a Data Processing Contract (DPC). This will include the need to speak to business leads who often have the answers to the questions but don't realise that they know the information required. All the above can be but is not limited to using systems such as Corvus, NICHE, supportworks, outlook, centurion, CYC freedom and all elements of Microsoft office.

Whilst working in this area i have acquired extensive knowledge of the Data Protection Act 2018 and GDPR, also i have developed and continue to build on my knowledge of technical requirements such as CISSP and ISO 27001. I have also monitored and modified the reporting process deployed within West Yorkshire Police which now captures more breaches than ever and enables the force to be more
 - more...
Pros
The ability to work flexibly within your day is a benefit for this job.
Cons
Limited career progression.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Yorkshire Police. Our community is ready to answer.