West Sussex County Council

West Sussex County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom107 reviews
Supportive
I found my student placement very helpful and I gained experience of the workplace. Everyone was very kind, supportive and patient of me. I would recommend this work placement to any student who is interested in helping families or children
Opportunities for different roles
I have had several different roles within West Sussex County Council, there are good opportunities to change and move location, if you like to challenge yourself.
Friendly work place
friendly work place very customer focused it depends on what department you work for as to what your job role would entail but overall i feel this is a good company to work for
Very Poor Workplace
You do the same thing all day. There are staff who do no work and nothing is done about them, there is no management and no direction. The management do not care at all.
Fun, in depth place to work
A challenging but, rewarding multi functional role withing West Sussex County Council.
Lots of in-house training provided

Lots of team based learning activities
Low morale.
General feeling of being taken advantage of.
We are the most underpaid over educated workforce in the country.

We are paid less than a cleaner to look after and educate the most precious thing in anyone's life....their children.
Nice place to work
WSCC is a nice environment to work in. They are very good at offering training opportunities to members of staff. They offer some very good benefits .
Nice place to work
As a Hub Support Assistant (Temp), I have found the job to be very enjoyable. I have learnt a great deal about what WSCC has to offer people, which is far greater than I had imagined.
I have worked with some lovely people who are a font of knowledge and who you can contact if you are in doubt as to where you can locate any thing.

Its great meeting new people as they visit the centres and making them feel welcome. Also getting to know new expectant mums as they come in for their Antenatal appointments and then meeting the new born babies when said mums bring them in to have them weighed.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with people who have found themselves in very difficult circumstances.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people who have found themselves in very difficult circumstances, and knowing that we have made a difference to their lives.
Supportive team environment
Typical day at work could be busy, challenging and demanding,but supportive team and management. Encouraged to continue professional development and learning and relevant pathways and courses available.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Different every day. Challenging but rewarding.
i loved the Job until government cuts made it impossible to do the work i loved. i ended up spending all my time in a office and not supporting the young people that need support.
Pros
great team
Cons
unsociable hours
Good staff, great offices, plenty of opportunities. Management support was always available. Training events were always well thought out and delivered well.
Very professional and fun place to work
I loved working with the children and making a difference to their lives. I loved special needs and the art work. I also enjoyed the religious occasions , Easter and Christmas and welcoming the parents in to see how their children were achieving.
Pros
Lots of holidays
Cons
School holidays only
Worplace
Long hours does not help with a good work-life balance. Great holidays but at the same time as all other families and holiday costs are increased. Teaching is very rewarding.
Consistent and reliable employer
I enjoy working for WSCC, they are a fair and reliable employer. I have worked for them for over ten years. I would be happy to continue working for WSCC and would recommend them as an employer.
Pros
Good pension scheme
Cons
Pay increases are few and far between
A great team to work for, but very repetitive work
The team is great to work with. I knew that my supervisor always had my back and was willing to provide support. The job itself is not challenging enough for myself. A lot of it was repetitive and felt degrading as it did not appear that anything was changing. It was constantly requesting for the same thing without receiving a response.
A lot of the job was uploading with copying and pasting.
Pros
good benefits.
Cons
repetitive
friendly and productive workplace
I enjoyed working at Hilltop as it allowed me to pick up many skills and was able to perform to the best of my ability along with the team and independently. The work and life balance was good as i used to work on weekdays and had the weekends off which allowed me to spend time with my family.
No job security or job satisfaction
The austerity measures in place have meant that special needs provision has been pared to the bone. This means that there is no job security in the field of special needs any more. Special needs teachers are being forced to teach in subject areas not of their choosing and important intervention work has been left behind.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Some poor behaviour and rather unsupportive management
fun and productive
good school, lots of opportunities. great dance classes for many ages ranging from 4-18. Having my work experience here I witnessed many children come and go and enjoy their time with after school classes.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
Great place to work but as with all government jobs, underpaid for the hours I put in and too much red tape makes all innovations hard to push through without it taking years!
Pros
manager of my own timetable
Not a place i would reccomend to people.
I enjoyed working with my immediate colleagues very much, and the job.

However the pressure and stress was not acceptable for a decent work life balance.
worst place to work in sussex
awful never felt as unappreciated in a job and had a number of promises made and never were followed through. the management have little care for the lower staff and seem to only care for themselves
Cons
staff, pupils and general culture
Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Sussex County Council. Our community is ready to answer.