West Sussex County Council Employee Reviews

Good opoortunites
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex10 November 2017
Opportunities for lots of training to help you with your job role and to help you develop. Supervision within the role is good and this happens often which is helpful when you are working with families.
Good teaching experience
Teaching assistant/Mid-day supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lancing30 September 2017
Lovely working environment with some great colleagues and a rich work experience. Thoroughly enjoyed the time there and made some great friends who I keep in touch with now
Mosaic system terrible
Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex19 September 2017
Most of the time it was down so nothing to do. very boring.
Mosaic system down , this needs to be addressed as soon as, the salary is not fantastic but they are very flexible with times etc
Pros
Staff are lovely
Cons
Database very unreliable
engaging
Maths Tutor (Former Employee) –  Horsham28 August 2017
Good Secure work. Friendly environment. My role was in a school and tutoring maths so specifics and placement may not be the same. however overall very pleased.
Wscc
Planning Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex24 August 2017
Great place to work, flexible working is amazing and is so helpful for when you need time off as you are able to accrue a full days leave to use for another time.
Pros
Flexible Working
pressured
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex8 July 2017
To be able to do your job very well with no bullying. Not being treated like children with unreasonable goals this is about the floor managers for Capita not West Sussex. I have learnt nothing from Capita but West Sussex County Council are a good place to work they do respect their staff and they use flexible working which means there is a two way trust between management and staff
Amazing social workers
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Surrey26 June 2017
No day is the same;
I have opportunities for training and developing my social work skills;
I do feel I make a difference to children's lives;
I am passionate about listening to children and making a difference;
My colleagues are supportive
Pros
Job security and benefits
Cons
High caseloads
A real team enviroment
Children and Family Centre Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Sussex9 May 2017
 Co-coordinating all supporting services and personnel to enable families to access the appropriate resources.
 Leading and coaching the team to understand the needs of the families in the area.
 Continually updating the team on the interpretation and implementation of new standards and regulations.
Quiet and calm workplace
Volunteer at Worthing Library (Former Employee) –  Worthing3 May 2017
Very relaxed and slow paced work environment. Sorting books and repetitive tasks are daily requirement, however opportunity to read books to children and engaging with the public, especially the elderly are rewarding aspects
County Council (Former Employee) –  Chichester23 March 2017
This is a great opportunity to get in to if you are good with working in payroll or other type of job roles, you learnt so much and they don't put pressure on you.
Rewarding work, able to make a difference
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex8 February 2017
I have learnt a lot working at West Sussex County Council. I work within the Young Peoples Service. It certainly opened my eyes to what some young people have to go through in life! I have been working for the company for 17 years and have thoroughly enjoyed my different roles over the years.

I have met a lot of extremely talented people who are able to make a difference to young peoples' lives. I have over the years, met a lot of new colleagues both in similar roles or managerial. I have always formed good relationships with both and in return have received nothing but respect and support.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a young person's life turned around for the better after being in a bad place. Unfortunately due to government cut backs, I am now encountering my third staff consultation to be able to stay in my current role.
Pros
Rewarding outcomes for young people.
Cons
Frequent changes through cutbacks.
Ideal Administration Position
HR and Payroll (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex15 January 2017
Ideal place to work as an admin position. Very friendly staff with good amenities and fairly priced cafe. Would recommend.
Great for experience
FM (Current Employee) –  Various16 December 2016
Great for experience with wide range of portfolio but comes with all the red tape you would expect from local government and constant threat of privatisation and redundancy.
Always Working
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Worthing3 June 2016
As a Foster Parent you are always working!! I have learnt that no two children in 'care' are the same. It can be a wonderful job, frustrating, satisfying and many other feelings. You have to be a good listener and have a very thick skin. However, when you turn a child around the feelings are immense!!
Pros
Always need to be available
Cons
Always need to be available
Friendly place to work with a good work ethic
Frameworks & Suppliers Officer (Current Employee) –  Chichester25 May 2016
My work is about dealing with & managing the Framework of suppliers who carry out the training for a cross section of care services throughout West Sussex.
As we are dealing with the public's money every price and contract agreed has to be the best possible deal.
The management here are very helpful and approachable and are very much part of the team.
My co-workers are all extremely friendly, sincere & helpful.
The hardest part of the job is going out to tender to the Framework of suppliers for complicated subjects where our job/service specification is ambiguous.
The most enjoyable part of the job is placing successful contracts on suppliers on time and under budget.
Didn't really get too involved with the council themselves
School Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Felpham22 April 2016
I cleaned a school. Not much more to it than that. Never really got involved with the council as the school employed me really.
Very good company to work for and very flexible with working arrangements.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chichester10 March 2016
All days at work are varied and depends on the projects I am working on. Management are very proactive but limited with budget restraints. Co-workers are used to working within a team environment and are always very helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job is variety.
Support Worker/Key Worker (Former Employee) –  Worthing24 February 2016
Supporting people with a learning difficulty

I have learn to have empathy with people in need

I have a supportive managers who supported me all the way

I worked with people that were very supportive and with good team work spirit

All part of my job is enjoyable
Pros
good management
Cons
shift work
Good Company to work for
Workforce Development Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  County wide12 January 2016
Everyday is never the same in my role. Working in Children's Social care makes you work harder, longer and smarter. The children, no matter what your role, are the only thing that matters.

Since working in Children's Social Care, I now understand the impact on social workers, how hard they work, their pressures and the constant abuse they receive. On the other hand I also see the fantastic work they do by ensuring as many children as they can are out of risk of harm.

The hardest part of my job are exit interviews. I can only empathise with SW's that have got to the point that they can no longer do the job. I feel extremely passionate about this part of my role and wish I could make a substantial difference to their working and home lives.

The above is also the most enjoyable part of my role, I feel I have a huge strength in the area which involves listening, understanding and recording the interview. Reducing agency workers and replacing them with permanent members of staff is also up there with the, maybe not so enjoyable but rewarding. This is extremely important within the Workforce Development team so when we succeed its a great feeling.
Pros
Flexible Working
Cons
Long Hours
Young male Teaching Assistant
Learning support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham, ENG23 December 2015
I worked in a team of over 20 middle aged women so as a young male this was a unique situation.

I felt I was able to connect to the boys well (it was a boys only school).

I started a gardening club for the boys with a science teacher and was involved on excursions to London and Europe.