West Sussex County Council Employee Reviews

Okay
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Steyning, West Sussex21 September 2018
Good Hours, however no chance of overtime. Own section of the school to clean, no sense of team work, however, the other employees are kind and approachable.
job role
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex15 May 2018
Mash Admin Team (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub).
My role was to process a high volume of children services referrals, police reports and information for children who have an allocated social worker. This information is often of a safeguarding nature, therefore timeliness and accurate information recording is essential. My role ensures I update records, while understanding data protection.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Friendly company
Day Care Officer (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex6 April 2018
Enjoyed the 8 years I had with the company, they really look after their staff.
Working hours were good and not too many demands were put on staff, those that were, were realistic demands.
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Little progression when you get to a certain grade
Creative job, lovely people to work with
Community Librarian (Current Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex3 April 2018
It’s a creative job, every day is different. I like working with disadvantaged groups and adding value to their experience of the library service. I enjoy customer service.
Pros
Permanent job
Cons
Low pay
Knowledge
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chichester7 March 2018
throughout my time at West Sussex County Council I have gained a lot of experience in admin and different pieces of software that I wouldn't use in my day to day life.
A good place to teach
Teacher of English (Current Employee) –  Steyning24 February 2018
Teaching is becoming increasingly intense and pressured, so not a job for the faint hearted. The hours are very long, and there is no limit to the work. However the kids are great, and the LEA is effective and works well with the unions to attempt to ensure teaching is a secure profession.
Pros
working with young people
Cons
pressure and long hours
Wscc
Archive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bognor Regis, West Sussex30 January 2018
A typical day would range from logging files, uploading the data to the mainframe, but mostly it would be dealing with requests/queries either via email or by phone. Locating files and sending them out to customers within 24 hours of requesting. I learned the value of team work as it was required in a job like this as most days it would be all hands on deck with multiple requests going through. I always had a good relationship with management and I was valued at all times and they appreciated my views and leadership. Workplace culture is vital in a job of that nature as it can be so fast paced at times and fortunately I had a good team around me. We always made sure the job where completed but on our down time we could always have some good banter. The hardest part of the job was not knowing about the future of the project as I was tempting for 8 years and didn't know where I stood after the Christmas periods. The most enjoyable part for me was the people I was working with sometimes the job would be extremely stressful but having my team took the stress out when required.
Pros
Team work, variation
Cons
Temp contracts
The best place to work!
Administrator (Fixed Term) (Former Employee) –  Horsham29 January 2018
Amazing people working in West Sussex County Council so kind, respectful delighted to worked for and Just happy I had the chance to work with the people I did and management 10/10!
Recommend to work for.
Pros
Laid back
Secure work place
Class Teacher (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex22 January 2018
Enjoyed my time here- hours could be like like any teaching role but felt welcomed and able to take opportunities to progress my career further within teaching and management
Expectations don't match salary
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rustington, West Sussex11 January 2018
Colleagues work very hard and are a good team, West Sussex County Council should realise that employees are an asset and not just a commodity. Job just getting harder and harder to do well
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Salary
Busy day centre
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  West Sussex7 January 2018
Day starts with bus runs,collecting clients with and without wheel chairs. Once with us we take several day groups from sporting activities to reminiscing.
Several times throughout the day personal care is undertaken and refreshments are served and support is required with some clients.
The day closes with the return bus trips and reports written up.
Pros
local
Cons
repetitive
Good opoortunites
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex10 November 2017
Opportunities for lots of training to help you with your job role and to help you develop. Supervision within the role is good and this happens often which is helpful when you are working with families.
Friendly and supportive
Finance Assistant/Accountancy (Former Employee) –  Chichester31 October 2017
High support from Management and team members. Learnt with good support and training budget monitoring/ projections within Adult Services.

Difficulty in transition from local office to central office due to distance and personal issues with travel distance.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Long hours, travel.
Good teaching experience
Teaching assistant/Mid-day supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lancing30 September 2017
Lovely working environment with some great colleagues and a rich work experience. Thoroughly enjoyed the time there and made some great friends who I keep in touch with now
Mosaic system terrible
Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex19 September 2017
Most of the time it was down so nothing to do. very boring.
Mosaic system down , this needs to be addressed as soon as, the salary is not fantastic but they are very flexible with times etc
Pros
Staff are lovely
Cons
Database very unreliable
engaging
Maths Tutor (Former Employee) –  Horsham28 August 2017
Good Secure work. Friendly environment. My role was in a school and tutoring maths so specifics and placement may not be the same. however overall very pleased.
Wscc
Planning Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex24 August 2017
Great place to work, flexible working is amazing and is so helpful for when you need time off as you are able to accrue a full days leave to use for another time.
Pros
Flexible Working
pressured
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex8 July 2017
To be able to do your job very well with no bullying. Not being treated like children with unreasonable goals this is about the floor managers for Capita not West Sussex. I have learnt nothing from Capita but West Sussex County Council are a good place to work they do respect their staff and they use flexible working which means there is a two way trust between management and staff
Amazing social workers
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Surrey26 June 2017
No day is the same;
I have opportunities for training and developing my social work skills;
I do feel I make a difference to children's lives;
I am passionate about listening to children and making a difference;
My colleagues are supportive
Pros
Job security and benefits
Cons
High caseloads
A real team enviroment
Children and Family Centre Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Sussex9 May 2017
 Co-coordinating all supporting services and personnel to enable families to access the appropriate resources.
 Leading and coaching the team to understand the needs of the families in the area.
 Continually updating the team on the interpretation and implementation of new standards and regulations.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at West Sussex County Council. Our community is ready to answer.