West Sussex County Council Employee Reviews

A good place to teach
Teacher of English (Current Employee) –  Steyning24 February 2018
Teaching is becoming increasingly intense and pressured, so not a job for the faint hearted. The hours are very long, and there is no limit to the work. However the kids are great, and the LEA is effective and works well with the unions to attempt to ensure teaching is a secure profession.
Pros
working with young people
Cons
pressure and long hours
The best place to work!
Administrator (Fixed Term) (Former Employee) –  Horsham29 January 2018
Amazing people working in West Sussex County Council so kind, respectful delighted to worked for and Just happy I had the chance to work with the people I did and management 10/10!
Recommend to work for.
Pros
Laid back
Secure work place
Class Teacher (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex22 January 2018
Enjoyed my time here- hours could be like like any teaching role but felt welcomed and able to take opportunities to progress my career further within teaching and management
Expectations don't match salary
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rustington, West Sussex11 January 2018
Colleagues work very hard and are a good team, West Sussex County Council should realise that employees are an asset and not just a commodity. Job just getting harder and harder to do well
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Salary
Busy day centre
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  West Sussex7 January 2018
Day starts with bus runs,collecting clients with and without wheel chairs. Once with us we take several day groups from sporting activities to reminiscing.
Several times throughout the day personal care is undertaken and refreshments are served and support is required with some clients.
The day closes with the return bus trips and reports written up.
Pros
local
Cons
repetitive
Good opoortunites
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex10 November 2017
Opportunities for lots of training to help you with your job role and to help you develop. Supervision within the role is good and this happens often which is helpful when you are working with families.
Friendly and supportive
Finance Assistant/Accountancy (Former Employee) –  Chichester31 October 2017
High support from Management and team members. Learnt with good support and training budget monitoring/ projections within Adult Services.

Difficulty in transition from local office to central office due to distance and personal issues with travel distance.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Long hours, travel.
Good teaching experience
Teaching assistant/Mid-day supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lancing30 September 2017
Lovely working environment with some great colleagues and a rich work experience. Thoroughly enjoyed the time there and made some great friends who I keep in touch with now
Mosaic system terrible
Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex19 September 2017
Most of the time it was down so nothing to do. very boring.
Mosaic system down , this needs to be addressed as soon as, the salary is not fantastic but they are very flexible with times etc
Pros
Staff are lovely
Cons
Database very unreliable
engaging
Maths Tutor (Former Employee) –  Horsham28 August 2017
Good Secure work. Friendly environment. My role was in a school and tutoring maths so specifics and placement may not be the same. however overall very pleased.
Wscc
Planning Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex24 August 2017
Great place to work, flexible working is amazing and is so helpful for when you need time off as you are able to accrue a full days leave to use for another time.
Pros
Flexible Working
pressured
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex8 July 2017
To be able to do your job very well with no bullying. Not being treated like children with unreasonable goals this is about the floor managers for Capita not West Sussex. I have learnt nothing from Capita but West Sussex County Council are a good place to work they do respect their staff and they use flexible working which means there is a two way trust between management and staff
Amazing social workers
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Surrey26 June 2017
No day is the same;
I have opportunities for training and developing my social work skills;
I do feel I make a difference to children's lives;
I am passionate about listening to children and making a difference;
My colleagues are supportive
Pros
Job security and benefits
Cons
High caseloads
A real team enviroment
Children and Family Centre Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Sussex9 May 2017
 Co-coordinating all supporting services and personnel to enable families to access the appropriate resources.
 Leading and coaching the team to understand the needs of the families in the area.
 Continually updating the team on the interpretation and implementation of new standards and regulations.
Quiet and calm workplace
Volunteer at Worthing Library (Former Employee) –  Worthing3 May 2017
Very relaxed and slow paced work environment. Sorting books and repetitive tasks are daily requirement, however opportunity to read books to children and engaging with the public, especially the elderly are rewarding aspects
County Council (Former Employee) –  Chichester23 March 2017
This is a great opportunity to get in to if you are good with working in payroll or other type of job roles, you learnt so much and they don't put pressure on you.
Rewarding work, able to make a difference
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex8 February 2017
I have learnt a lot working at West Sussex County Council. I work within the Young Peoples Service. It certainly opened my eyes to what some young people have to go through in life! I have been working for the company for 17 years and have thoroughly enjoyed my different roles over the years.

I have met a lot of extremely talented people who are able to make a difference to young peoples' lives. I have over the years, met a lot of new colleagues both in similar roles or managerial. I have always formed good relationships with both and in return have received nothing but respect and support.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a young person's life turned around for the better after being in a bad place. Unfortunately due to government cut backs, I am now encountering my third staff consultation to be able to stay in my current role.
Pros
Rewarding outcomes for young people.
Cons
Frequent changes through cutbacks.
Ideal Administration Position
HR and Payroll (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex15 January 2017
Ideal place to work as an admin position. Very friendly staff with good amenities and fairly priced cafe. Would recommend.
Great for experience
FM (Current Employee) –  Various16 December 2016
Great for experience with wide range of portfolio but comes with all the red tape you would expect from local government and constant threat of privatisation and redundancy.
Always Working
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Worthing3 June 2016
As a Foster Parent you are always working!! I have learnt that no two children in 'care' are the same. It can be a wonderful job, frustrating, satisfying and many other feelings. You have to be a good listener and have a very thick skin. However, when you turn a child around the feelings are immense!!
Pros
Always need to be available
Cons
Always need to be available