WEST SUFFOLK COLLEGE

WEST SUFFOLK COLLEGE Employee Reviews

United Kingdom36 reviews
Every day is different. Some days are more pressured than others.
Working with students changes your outlook on life. They have strength and enthusiasm to share with you.

Hardest part of the job is hearing about their struggles and home life which can be chaotic and challenging.

Seeing students grow and achieve their dreams, knowing that you have been enabling them to do so.
I had 15 years working for west Suffolk college, I enjoyed all my time there, both the staff and management were a pleasure to work for. The environment was good and working conditions and staff training was first class.
overall not a very good place to study, classes were average and level the lecturers teaching was average. good for a low level of qualification a 3 star college
Learn a lot, fast-paced environment, great team, though high workload, limited support, low pay for the number of hours and skill set required, high pressure
Pros
holidays
Cons
out of hours work
Since the change in management in HR, there has been multiple changes in the team, and in priorities.
The team were working through some really amazing strategic plans, and I have the upmost faith in they will achieve them.

Since the change in manager, there has been a dramatic change in culture, and I have never seen the team so settled, with clear guidelines.

I have seen so much progression in the last year - continuous growth, culture change and happier staff.

Typically, HR is full of everchanging priorities, but the proactive team have been so forward thinking, this has resulted in a steady, collected approach.

Hardest part of the job, perhaps finding the time to fit everything in? Since the opening of Abbeygate, there has been extra work, this is very exciting for the future of the college. Saying that, they are recruiting more staff which will certainly help balance the work load!

Most enjoyable part of the role - the people. the management. the solutions focused approach. work life balance is brilliant.

I required some support whilst employed with a family issue - and my manager and team were so kind and understanding, giving me the support I needed at that time.
Pros
work life balance. approachable principal. management.
Cons
finding the time to complete the projects for all the amazing ideas we had
Flexible hours with the ability to work more hours and have time off in lieu.

Good work environment, friendly staff.

Management helpful for the most part.

Pay is minimal.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Low Pay
Great place to work for progression into education. Creative subjects don't get enough funding or care given to them aside from those that work within them, ultimately resulting in bad pay.
Poor pay. Most of the staff are stressed. Management was not that great. There is a high turn over of staff. The institution is more interested in KPI'S and performance reviews than educating people.
This was my first teaching role so I had to learn quickly and build up my knowledge base. A good college to start my teaching career in with a fantastic manager that I learnt from and was able to try new resources and teach a subject that I was passionate about.
Horrible culture, Principal is a bully and enjoys being so. Lots of staff are tired, overworked and stressed and silenced into compliance. No critical voice challenging decisions.

Staff trying their best to do the best jobs for the students but burnt out.
Pros
People
Cons
Bullying hostile culture set from top
I work as a Personal Support Tutor and have almost finished my first year at the College. I have worked in education before, but I have to say this is the best place I have ever worked. The College has a strong culture of putting students first and have invested in the student support teams. You do have to work hard, but it is a rewarding job and I have to say, the support I have received from my line manager as well as the Vice Principal responsible for this area has been fantastic. If you want to work with great people, work hard and be inspired everyday come and work at the College.
Pros
Great people who really care about staff and students.
Cons
You have to work hard, so if you just want money for doing nothing, don't work here!
Dreadful Management team, no leadership skills at all, just yes people who have done what they need, to creep up the ladder

There are some lovely genuine people, but they don't last long, it's very clicky

Current Principal doesn't care about the Employees

Top heavy with female Management

Decent enough catering, but could be better

Parkings a joke

Lasted almost 11 years then desperately had to leave

If you have an opinion your cards are marked anyway!

Lack of support from Manager, they have no backbone

However, training opportunities are available and it's a large enough place to move around departments and jobs once you're in
Pros
Near town
Cons
Lack of Leadership
I have just completed six months at WSC. I am amazed at the team spirit and how much support I get from my line manager. It is also nice that I get to know all the things that happen in the college with a weekly newsletter. This is my first college job and it is not what I thought. It is much better. Would definitely recommend.
Pros
Supportive manager and team
Cons
Lots to do, but thats also a good thing.
A typical day at work is hectic
The man agreement do not care enough about their teaching staff

The culture is bearable

The most enjoyable part is working with the students
staff are rude and pretencious. i noticed theyre harsh on pupils and do not take feedback well. they struggle to take leadership roles and do not take the tasks in hand
Pros
Cons
everything
Lovely people, lots of opportunities to learn & extend knowledge in your career.
Greatest part of my job is to see happy customers knowing I have done a good job!

Toughest part is being on my feet for 8 hours!
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Tired feet
Tutors are very helpful and encourage the students to do well.
Good library and resources to enable students to study for their courses.

My diploma was full time but I still had 2 days a week away from the college.
west suffolk college is in the process of remaining financially viable. they have been quite ruthless in their approach to making as much money as possible regardless of their client group or workforce. in the Learning support department we were always short staffed. LS staff were not consulted about the behaviour management or the educational needs of students leading to very poor staff moral.
Pros
great hours, long, but enforced holidays.
Cons
Poor communication, poor salary (term time only, ) little autonomy
Done sports and exercise science course at college and really enjoyed it come out with distinction, helped me get into doing athletics and becoming part of Suffolk’s team
I worked in the HR department. The manager was very inexperienced and rude. 4 members of staff left the department within a year because of her. Other departments and employees were lovely but it was a lot of stressful work for minimal pay.
Pros
I made some fantastic friends and the work was good at times
Cons
Good college with poor managerial ethics, The college should be looking at enhancing it students learning instead of profiteering from government schemes.