West Midlands Ambulance Services NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Worst place i have worked.
Vehicle Preparation Operative (Former Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire.11 September 2019
Some of the management are close to being incompetent at the hub. Bullying, sexism, racism is an everyday occurrence. The job is under paid and management don't have a clue how difficult this job really is. Be prepared to work every bank holiday and Christmas.
Pros
Days off.
Cons
The job.
Appalling place to work
PTS Controller (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire13 November 2018
Don't do this because you will regret it. The staff are rude, arrogant and badly behaved with no respect for their driver colleagues. They were actively bullying other colleagues who subsequently left. I brought this to the attention of management who repeatedly allowed this behaviour to continue. I actually challenged one particular member of staff who was disrespectful to me, I might as well have talked to the wall. I eventually spoke to the whistleblower who eventually rang me long after I resigned which was useless. Regarding the actual job......its boring, thankless and monotonous. The senior management are out of touch and not interested in how the job is run. Shambolic
Pros
Close to home
working day
Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Stafford26 October 2018
A typical day at work for me is very varied although is always extremely busy ,and can be very varied from dealing with elderly and frail after falls ,to serious trauma cases, and heart attacks Have responsibility for supervision of junior members of staff who i could be working with
The working environment in the work place is mainly a happy working environment with good exchange of views between crews and managers Think the hardest part of the job is dealing with extremely sick children
Best part of the job is when we have a good output from a very sicck patient and they make a good recovery.Also when the patient verbally thanks you for helping them and looking after them
Worked for lms warwick drivers all. helpfull all staff at hospitals and doctors. I dealt with were great but management at station tried to bully you
Lms driver (Former Employee) –  Warwick, Warwickshire15 February 2018
Early starts late finish weekend work at station on your own sat and sun management try and bully you if stand up to them u get the worst jobs going lead drivers were all great
Pros
Meeting great people who are doing there best for NHS
Cons
Poor management /low wages
awful bullying culture
Patient Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire7 February 2018
A truly shambolic place to work for. The management don't have a clue and just use the place to suit their own personal agendas and yo never see them or get any support.staff are used and put on daily. I would avoid at all costs.
Pros
Cons
bullying
Call centre environment, excellent friendly staff, enjoyable place
Health Adviser (Former Employee) –  Brierley Hill20 November 2017
Taking Inbound calls for NHS 111 service, triaging patients via computer system pathways and advising on best course of action.

Nice clean office environment and high level of office equipment provided.

Parking available.

Lounge room with TV and vending machines.

Plenty of training provided.
Pros
Big open space office, clean, good training
Cons
No progression
Great Colleagues
PTS Porter (Current Employee) –  Coventry14 September 2017
The staff team are fantastic and motivate you into bettering yourselves as well as providing the best care possible for every patient that you come into contact with.
Pros
Staff discounts
NHS 111 Call Handler (Former Employee) –  Brierley Hill4 September 2017
As a call taker for the NHS 111 service you are the first point of contact with patients, patients’ relatives, healthcare professionals and other callers. Using the NHS Pathways to record patients’ demographics and basic clinical information you assess their condition and ensure they are directed to the most appropriate healthcare professional or end disposition. You provide assessment, basic advice, and health information to patients calling 111, supporting them to access the appropriate level of care ; including advice on how to manage their symptoms at home.

This job was very rewarding helping people with their health issues and giving the best appropriate help.

The worst thing about the job was rude patients when they didnt get what they wanted.
Professional and Proactive
Advanced Paramedic (Current Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands1 September 2017
Never a typical day here.. stressful and long hours but with rewards.
If u want a long term career, then this may be for you.

Its not all trauma, thats quite rare, its more about communication and assessment skills, that you gain from experience. You will learn very quickly !.
Pros
Training and development
Cons
Long unsocial hours
Good place to work.
Ambulance Driver/Escort (Former Employee) –  Birmingham22 August 2017
The culture here was good and most people were very happy to help each other.I enjoyed going to different places and meeting new people every day and talking to them about things happening in their lives.
If I knew what I do now I wouldn't bother
Dogs body (Former Employee) –  Somewhere in the Midlands22 July 2017
No work life balance 1% pay rise and wages worse than private sector.
Not sure id bother now knowing what I know.
..............................
..............................
Pros
Not many, NHS discounts
Cons
Long hours poor money compared to private sector.
Friendly Workplace
Business Administration Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Brierley Hill17 May 2017
Very friendly, also they have helped me with my job search and progressing my hard and soft skills further.
I get along with most people based in my building, the management structure is good.
Pros
nhs discount
Soul destroying
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands10 April 2017
Sadly the politics and management ruin this job.
We all want to make a difference to people at their time of need but find ourselves tied up with patients that don't need to see a gp let alone an emergency ambulance.
There is no work life balance and managements attitude to child care issues is that..... it's your issue not theirs, they are so unhelpful with this matter that they imply they'd be happy for you to leave your child at home alone or stranded at the school gates as long as they have your bum on the seat on an ambulance to attend the next 19 yr old that calls 999 for a toothache.
If you do have anything remotely worthy of your skills expect control to pester you for an update and then you can have the embarrassment of taking your semi urgent patient to hospital only to wait around on a corridor and be ignored by hassled nurses.
Once you've had your fill of being a paramedic I estimate between 2 and 5 years you will find yourself trapped by the service as they will give you little opportunity to develop clinically.
The chief doesn't care for or get to know any of his staff and staff are left to walk out alone on their last day following years of service.
If you want to feel like just another bum on a seat this is the place to be! My advice - go in to nursing as there are more avenues to explore.
Pros
Get paid whilst training
Cons
Long hours, no progression, poor management, no worklife balance
Course is intense but a lot of fun
Student Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Dudley, West Midlands14 February 2017
Excellent course with very supportive tutors
The apprenticeship is a brilliant way to earn as you learn and the learning is split between college, work experience and university.
Pros
Informative and life changing
Cons
Intense
Observer shifts (Former Employee) –  West Midlands29 March 2016
I was given the opportunity to shadow 2 shifts with the crew of West Midlands Ambulance Service. This was a great opportunity.