West Mercia Police Employee Reviews

Control room - Enjoyable job but poor management
Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury17 June 2018
A very rewarding job with good rates of pay however it’s an extremely stressful environment at times. There is very little back up from the management if and when things go wrong despite their claims.

It’s very hard to get annual leave and time off despite other departments being allowed higher numbers of staff members being off at any one time.

The working environment is pleasant and the colleagues are great to work with, there is definitely a commarardery amongst the staff however moral is pretty low due to major staff shortages and threat of redundancy.

The job is fulfilling, you get to speak to some great people and work along side some fabulous people but management really don’t seem to care about their staff.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Shifts and little flexibility for time off
Undervalued
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury16 June 2018
West Mercia Police Control Room do not value their staff. Stretch them to the limits and focus on the negative

Working for West Mercia Police has been hard work but enjoyable due to the friends and colleagues I have.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
management
Challenging and dynamic role
Response Inspector (Current Employee) –  Telford23 April 2018
Policing is complex and not always glamorous. Every day presents new challenges. However, it does offer a genuine opportunity to make a positive difference.

It takes a certain type of person to make a good Police Officer. You don't have to be the brightest, strongest or quickest, but good communication, decision making and problem solving skills are a must.

There are many different avenues to take as a police officer e.g. Response, Local Policing, CID and major enquiries, Firearms, Traffic etc. and there are promotion avenues through any of these.

There is a strong emphasis on continual improvement. Whilst this may sometimes be driven by the media's often over critical focus on perceived failings, there is a genuine organisational culture to be better.

The equipment that we are given to work with is sometimes far from the best - particularly ICT. However, Police are adept at making things work to their advantage.

I have spent Thirty years in the role. I've had the full mix of good and bad days and there have been occasions when I've questioned staying, BUT...
- Do I still like my job working for West Mercia Police - 'Yes', and
- Am I proud to tell people what I do for a living - 'Very much so'.
Pros
Can be a very rewarding job particularly in being able to make a positive difference for people.
Cons
It can at times be very frustrating, when things unfortunately go wrong it can make for a really bad day at the office.
Learned a lot of valuable work and life skills
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Worcester13 February 2018
Worked for the force since 2004 a lot of changes have happened. Very professional organisation. Have gained valuable work life skills.

Very good annual leave flexible working and pension benefits.
Pros
annual leave and pension benefits
busy
civilian (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury10 January 2018
interesting jobs and wonderful people, unpredictable but thats the fun of it. too many changes over the years. many varying roles. very hard workers. well done west mercia front line officers.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
higher management
Great work life balance
HR Recruitment Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Hindlip16 November 2017
Love the work life balance here and the support from management and the team. The people are great to work with and are very supportive and the organisation definitely values their employees.
Great place to work; lovely friendly colleagues
PA to Divisional Commander (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire14 October 2017
- Early start and late finish. Daily meeting/diary review with Divisional Commander

- I learned to cope in very demanding situations

- On the whole the Management Team were extremely good

- Happy, fun, but very busy

- When working in Major Incident Rooms, we often worked 14 days without a weekend off (not Work time Directive then in place)

- Generally a great atmosphere, I made some life long friends; both support staff and Police Officers of various ranks
Pros
Occasional bonus in recognition of workload etc
Good employer
Planner (Current Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire11 September 2017
Good place to work. Good prospects. Good work colleagues. Variation of jobs and experience. Depending on role thar you carry out good wages. Very disciplined emoyer but necessary for roles that are carried out.
Pros
Good career
Cons
Stressful job
Job satisfaction
Call Handler (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire3 September 2017
Taking calls from members of the public, learning various laws.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with very demanding people and ditressing situations. THe best part is making a difference.
project manager
Business Change Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Droitwich, Worcestershire18 April 2017
its good, its fine its close it is temporary and pay is lower than expected. if they paid a grade higher I would be prepared to say but as I said its temp
Great team, bad management
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire16 March 2017
Great office with dedicated staff, however huge turnover and bad management. Everyone is always working over their hours, this is expected as the normal now which is a shame for anyone who has other commitments outside of work. Very much geared to career people only with little room for people who just want to come in and do a good job without getting involved in politics and pushing their way to the top.
Pros
Annual leave entitlement, maternity leave, flexi time
Cons
Management, long hours, unpleasant culture
Highly entertaining
Full-time Police Collision Investigator (Former Employee) –  Worcester14 March 2017
Already reviewed
It seems as though the algorithm for the website links dates to reviews but will not allow for different jobs within the same organisation
Challenging and rewarding career
Detective Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Shropshire28 February 2017
Fully recommend the role of a Police officer as a career choice. It will push you to your limits on occasions but the rewards are satisfying knowing you can make a difference.
Great environment to work in
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire6 February 2017
Great people and great work ethic amongst the team. Thoroughly enjoyed being apart of an amazing work force. The role gave me key skills that i will have for the rest of my life.
Excellent place to work
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire6 February 2017
With many challenges in today's society it can be rewarding and demanding work,
I have learnt to make split second decisions, how to negotiate and deal with victims of crime
Interesting and fun place to work
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Bedworth, Warwickshire24 January 2017
On a daily basis I am assigned a number of jobs that relate to issues within my local community. This can be from investigating and resolving a neighbour dispute or attending meetings at schools to teach children about safety. I learn new things everyday, as I spend most my time at work engaging with the public, local officials and governing bodies. I have learnt to be a better communicator, investigator and my work ethic has improved a great deal. The police force is a great environment to work in, everyone works as a team and are always there to help if needed. The hardest part of the job can be the issues we sometimes come face to face with, this can often be emotionally testing however it has made me a stronger person. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is making a difference and helping people.
Excellent work experience
Cadet (Current Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire9 January 2017
Cadets is a well run scheme with enthusiastic team leaders. It encourages team working, independent leadership and lateral thinking. It is an excellent way of seeing if the police is a possible future career.
Interesting, Challenging, Demanding & Rewarding
Police Area Commander Inspector (Former Employee) –  Herefordshire8 June 2016
Fresh challenges & opportunities daily.

Strong team ethos.

Community at heart of role.

Testing and rewarding with many roles.

A career not to drift into.
Very busy and very interesting
Typist (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury28 January 2016
I work in a very busy office, audio typing full transcriptions and summaries of defendant interviews and typing handwritten witness statements for court. I deal with a large variety of crimes, from relatively minor to very major crimes. I find the work very interesting and enjoy being busy and producing accurate work in order of priority.

I have a good relationship with all of my colleagues, all of whom are in varying roles within the department of the Criminal Justice Unit. I am friendly and approachable and known for smiling!

I love the variety of work we cover, although some of it can be quite distressing, however that is part and parcel of the line of work I have been doing for the past 18 years!
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
Sometimes distressing nature of cases
A challenging environment requiring flexibility, efficiency and teamworking
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Malvern23 July 2015
My job typically involves organisation and distribution of post, filing and data input. I work as part of a three person team, which requires organisational skills to ensure we are working as efficiently as possible, to maximise output.

The hardest part of the job is the volume of work, which often reaches a high level.

The best part is achieving the targets set.