West Mercia Police Employee Reviews

Trusted employer
Police Staff (Current Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire13 November 2018
A typical day involves a large percentage of time managing the job on computer systems.
Training is given on the use of computers.
Political correctness has now been pushed to the fore which ensures an equal working environment for everyone.
Cons
Lack of job security due to constant changes to staff roles and locations for postings
Great Job, Learned Alot
Special Constable (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire15 October 2018
Great Job, great staff. very good training, very flexible. Issue was balancing voluntary work with full time work and a social life. The job itself was very fun and interesting if I could balance it better I would still be a special.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
No pay
Constrained by finance
Constable (Current Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire11 September 2018
Financial constraints have changed WMP. Everything is run on good will. Good support from colleagues but frustrating beyond words. Currently recruiting as there are too few people trying to do too many jobs.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Long hours, poor IT infrastructure .
Control room - Enjoyable job but poor management
Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury17 June 2018
A very rewarding job with good rates of pay however it’s an extremely stressful environment at times. There is very little back up from the management if and when things go wrong despite their claims.

It’s very hard to get annual leave and time off despite other departments being allowed higher numbers of staff members being off at any one time.

The working environment is pleasant and the colleagues are great to work with, there is definitely a commarardery amongst the staff however moral is pretty low due to major staff shortages and threat of redundancy.

The job is fulfilling, you get to speak to some great people and work along side some fabulous people but management really don’t seem to care about their staff.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Shifts and little flexibility for time off
Enjoyable and friendly
Personal Assistant to Deputy Chief Constable (Current Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire6 July 2018
The role can be challenging and rewarding. It is a fast paced environment and being able to prioritise and manage time is imperative. Management are supportive and health and wellbeing are a priority.
Pros
Excellent annual leave entitlement
Cons
Can be a stressful environment
No comment
Police Support Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire7 June 2018
Helping with AntiSocial Behaviour issues call backs for the harmed Unit. I started in 2015 at the Police Station.
I have learned about hate crime, acid attacks, sexting, modern day slavery, human trafficking, internet scams, action fraud, racism.
I read unpleasant reports about anti social behaviour, it helps to be able to read between the lines. Have a logical mind.
I have done this for two and half years and I am now going to do Safer Road Antisocial Behaviour issues, and I volunteer for fund raising for K999 OAP Retirement dog fund.
We have a good line manager / Sergant. He always keeps us up to date. I work amongst police officers and staff and other volunteers.
Its great to help someone and show them you care.
The hardest part is probably not being paid, but I love to volunteer and it pays me in many ways, like experience and it is giving me confidence as I have been out of work for a long time.
Diverse cultures.
Pros
Milage paid
Cons
Unpaid
Undervalued
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury16 June 2018
West Mercia Police Control Room do not value their staff. Stretch them to the limits and focus on the negative

Working for West Mercia Police has been hard work but enjoyable due to the friends and colleagues I have.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
management
Good experience
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster, Worcestershire31 July 2018
Very good experience over a number or years. Had a lot of good life experiences and made a lot of friends from my colleagues that i worked for over a number of years.
Learned a lot of valuable work and life skills
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Worcester13 February 2018
Worked for the force since 2004 a lot of changes have happened. Very professional organisation. Have gained valuable work life skills.

Very good annual leave flexible working and pension benefits.
Pros
annual leave and pension benefits
Great place to work; lovely friendly colleagues
PA to Divisional Commander (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire14 October 2017
- Early start and late finish. Daily meeting/diary review with Divisional Commander

- I learned to cope in very demanding situations

- On the whole the Management Team were extremely good

- Happy, fun, but very busy

- When working in Major Incident Rooms, we often worked 14 days without a weekend off (not Work time Directive then in place)

- Generally a great atmosphere, I made some life long friends; both support staff and Police Officers of various ranks
Pros
Occasional bonus in recognition of workload etc
busy
civilian (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury10 January 2018
interesting jobs and wonderful people, unpredictable but thats the fun of it. too many changes over the years. many varying roles. very hard workers. well done west mercia front line officers.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
higher management
Great work life balance
HR Recruitment Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Hindlip16 November 2017
Love the work life balance here and the support from management and the team. The people are great to work with and are very supportive and the organisation definitely values their employees.
Great team, bad management
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire16 March 2017
Great office with dedicated staff, however huge turnover and bad management. Everyone is always working over their hours, this is expected as the normal now which is a shame for anyone who has other commitments outside of work. Very much geared to career people only with little room for people who just want to come in and do a good job without getting involved in politics and pushing their way to the top.
Pros
Annual leave entitlement, maternity leave, flexi time
Cons
Management, long hours, unpleasant culture
Good employer
Planner (Current Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire11 September 2017
Good place to work. Good prospects. Good work colleagues. Variation of jobs and experience. Depending on role thar you carry out good wages. Very disciplined emoyer but necessary for roles that are carried out.
Pros
Good career
Cons
Stressful job
Challenging and dynamic role
Response Inspector (Current Employee) –  Telford23 April 2018
Policing is complex and not always glamorous. Every day presents new challenges. However, it does offer a genuine opportunity to make a positive difference.

It takes a certain type of person to make a good Police Officer. You don't have to be the brightest, strongest or quickest, but good communication, decision making and problem solving skills are a must.

There are many different avenues to take as a police officer e.g. Response, Local Policing, CID and major enquiries, Firearms, Traffic etc. and there are promotion avenues through any of these.

There is a strong emphasis on continual improvement. Whilst this may sometimes be driven by the media's often over critical focus on perceived failings, there is a genuine organisational culture to be better.

The equipment that we are given to work with is sometimes far from the best - particularly ICT. However, Police are adept at making things work to their advantage.

I have spent Thirty years in the role. I've had the full mix of good and bad days and there have been occasions when I've questioned staying, BUT...
- Do I still like my job working for West Mercia Police - 'Yes', and
- Am I proud to tell people what I do for a living - 'Very much so'.
Pros
Can be a very rewarding job particularly in being able to make a positive difference for people.
Cons
It can at times be very frustrating, when things unfortunately go wrong it can make for a really bad day at the office.
Good working environment but unstable due to government cutbacks
Specialist Interviewer (Current Employee) –  Telford11 June 2013
Start at 0800 hours finsh at 1700 hours, tasked with carrying out DVD recorded interviews and investigations with victims and witnesses of serious complex crimes. Suporting them through the various procedures to achieve the best outcome for them. It is difficult dealing with vulnerable people who are subject to nasty crimes but very very rewarding to have a positive outcome at court giving them closure.
Pros
job satisfaction
Special Constable (Current Employee) –  ENG25 April 2015
My typical days work within the police could involve me going out to an RTC or to help settle an ongoing dispute with neighbours.
I've learnt how to communicate tactfully, to be open all possible situations. I work with my team well, we have good communication and work well within a team.
My hardest part of my job is telling someone that their relative or loved one has passed away.
The most enjoyable part of my job is going out on duty and not knowing what to expect and that I do my job correctly and professionally.
A challenging environment requiring flexibility, efficiency and teamworking
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Malvern23 July 2015
My job typically involves organisation and distribution of post, filing and data input. I work as part of a three person team, which requires organisational skills to ensure we are working as efficiently as possible, to maximise output.

The hardest part of the job is the volume of work, which often reaches a high level.

The best part is achieving the targets set.
Very busy and very interesting
Typist (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury28 January 2016
I work in a very busy office, audio typing full transcriptions and summaries of defendant interviews and typing handwritten witness statements for court. I deal with a large variety of crimes, from relatively minor to very major crimes. I find the work very interesting and enjoy being busy and producing accurate work in order of priority.

I have a good relationship with all of my colleagues, all of whom are in varying roles within the department of the Criminal Justice Unit. I am friendly and approachable and known for smiling!

I love the variety of work we cover, although some of it can be quite distressing, however that is part and parcel of the line of work I have been doing for the past 18 years!
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
Sometimes distressing nature of cases
Interesting and fun place to work
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Bedworth, Warwickshire24 January 2017
On a daily basis I am assigned a number of jobs that relate to issues within my local community. This can be from investigating and resolving a neighbour dispute or attending meetings at schools to teach children about safety. I learn new things everyday, as I spend most my time at work engaging with the public, local officials and governing bodies. I have learnt to be a better communicator, investigator and my work ethic has improved a great deal. The police force is a great environment to work in, everyone works as a team and are always there to help if needed. The hardest part of the job can be the issues we sometimes come face to face with, this can often be emotionally testing however it has made me a stronger person. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is making a difference and helping people.