West Mercia Police Employee Reviews

Learned a lot of valuable work and life skills
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Worcester13 February 2018
Worked for the force since 2004 a lot of changes have happened. Very professional organisation. Have gained valuable work life skills.

Very good annual leave flexible working and pension benefits.
Pros
annual leave and pension benefits
busy
civilian (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury10 January 2018
interesting jobs and wonderful people, unpredictable but thats the fun of it. too many changes over the years. many varying roles. very hard workers. well done west mercia front line officers.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
higher management
Great work life balance
HR Recruitment Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Hindlip16 November 2017
Love the work life balance here and the support from management and the team. The people are great to work with and are very supportive and the organisation definitely values their employees.
Great place to work; lovely friendly colleagues
PA to Divisional Commander (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire14 October 2017
- Early start and late finish. Daily meeting/diary review with Divisional Commander

- I learned to cope in very demanding situations

- On the whole the Management Team were extremely good

- Happy, fun, but very busy

- When working in Major Incident Rooms, we often worked 14 days without a weekend off (not Work time Directive then in place)

- Generally a great atmosphere, I made some life long friends; both support staff and Police Officers of various ranks
Pros
Occasional bonus in recognition of workload etc
Good employer
Planner (Current Employee) –  Worcester, Worcestershire11 September 2017
Good place to work. Good prospects. Good work colleagues. Variation of jobs and experience. Depending on role thar you carry out good wages. Very disciplined emoyer but necessary for roles that are carried out.
Pros
Good career
Cons
Stressful job
Job satisfaction
Call Handler (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire3 September 2017
Taking calls from members of the public, learning various laws.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with very demanding people and ditressing situations. THe best part is making a difference.
project manager
Business Change Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Droitwich, Worcestershire18 April 2017
its good, its fine its close it is temporary and pay is lower than expected. if they paid a grade higher I would be prepared to say but as I said its temp
Great team, bad management
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire16 March 2017
Great office with dedicated staff, however huge turnover and bad management. Everyone is always working over their hours, this is expected as the normal now which is a shame for anyone who has other commitments outside of work. Very much geared to career people only with little room for people who just want to come in and do a good job without getting involved in politics and pushing their way to the top.
Pros
Annual leave entitlement, maternity leave, flexi time
Cons
Management, long hours, unpleasant culture
Highly entertaining
Full-time Police Collision Investigator (Former Employee) –  Worcester14 March 2017
Already reviewed
It seems as though the algorithm for the website links dates to reviews but will not allow for different jobs within the same organisation
Challenging and rewarding career
Detective Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Shropshire28 February 2017
Fully recommend the role of a Police officer as a career choice. It will push you to your limits on occasions but the rewards are satisfying knowing you can make a difference.
Great environment to work in
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire6 February 2017
Great people and great work ethic amongst the team. Thoroughly enjoyed being apart of an amazing work force. The role gave me key skills that i will have for the rest of my life.
Excellent place to work
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire6 February 2017
With many challenges in today's society it can be rewarding and demanding work,
I have learnt to make split second decisions, how to negotiate and deal with victims of crime
Interesting and fun place to work
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Bedworth, Warwickshire24 January 2017
On a daily basis I am assigned a number of jobs that relate to issues within my local community. This can be from investigating and resolving a neighbour dispute or attending meetings at schools to teach children about safety. I learn new things everyday, as I spend most my time at work engaging with the public, local officials and governing bodies. I have learnt to be a better communicator, investigator and my work ethic has improved a great deal. The police force is a great environment to work in, everyone works as a team and are always there to help if needed. The hardest part of the job can be the issues we sometimes come face to face with, this can often be emotionally testing however it has made me a stronger person. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is making a difference and helping people.
Excellent work experience
Cadet (Current Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire9 January 2017
Cadets is a well run scheme with enthusiastic team leaders. It encourages team working, independent leadership and lateral thinking. It is an excellent way of seeing if the police is a possible future career.
Interesting, Challenging, Demanding & Rewarding
Police Area Commander Inspector (Former Employee) –  Herefordshire8 June 2016
Fresh challenges & opportunities daily.

Strong team ethos.

Community at heart of role.

Testing and rewarding with many roles.

A career not to drift into.
Very busy and very interesting
Typist (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury28 January 2016
I work in a very busy office, audio typing full transcriptions and summaries of defendant interviews and typing handwritten witness statements for court. I deal with a large variety of crimes, from relatively minor to very major crimes. I find the work very interesting and enjoy being busy and producing accurate work in order of priority.

I have a good relationship with all of my colleagues, all of whom are in varying roles within the department of the Criminal Justice Unit. I am friendly and approachable and known for smiling!

I love the variety of work we cover, although some of it can be quite distressing, however that is part and parcel of the line of work I have been doing for the past 18 years!
Pros
Flexitime
Cons
Sometimes distressing nature of cases
A challenging environment requiring flexibility, efficiency and teamworking
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Malvern23 July 2015
My job typically involves organisation and distribution of post, filing and data input. I work as part of a three person team, which requires organisational skills to ensure we are working as efficiently as possible, to maximise output.

The hardest part of the job is the volume of work, which often reaches a high level.

The best part is achieving the targets set.
Special Constable (Current Employee) –  ENG25 April 2015
My typical days work within the police could involve me going out to an RTC or to help settle an ongoing dispute with neighbours.
I've learnt how to communicate tactfully, to be open all possible situations. I work with my team well, we have good communication and work well within a team.
My hardest part of my job is telling someone that their relative or loved one has passed away.
The most enjoyable part of my job is going out on duty and not knowing what to expect and that I do my job correctly and professionally.
Brilliant job
Special Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Ross-on-Wye, ENG17 January 2015
A great job with endless opportunities and a very supportive colleagues. Would recommend to anyone that is interested in joining the Police as it is a great insight to the job.
Wmp
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Worcester, ENG16 September 2014
Good work life balance - good salary - very poor job security relating to government spending review for police staff