West Mercia Police

West Mercia Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom56 reviews
Fast Paced Industry
Policing is an extremely stressful area of work and becoming more so every day. Ensure you have spoken to serving officers to ensure it is the right place to work for you.
Thoroughly enjoyed my time as a police officer
30 year service completed. I had a great time, met some lovely people and have memories that will stay with me forever. I could have stayed on until I was 60 but I was keen to try my hand at something new so I retired and made way for someone new to take my place. Yes its demanding and challenging but where else can you see and experience what police officers deal with daily. Would thoroughly recommend.
Challenging and supportive
Good challenging role with friendly colleagues.
Very good training and updating on a regular basis during work time and organised on a regular basis supporting your role
All in all positve environment
Difficult to review given the role I have.
However, if you work hard, you get the satisfaction of making a difference by helping to protect people from harm.
Would be a better work force with more support
A Police force lacking funds, resources and trying to survive day by day. The force would benefit from investing in their welfare / support mechanisms for employees and make every option known to employees
Good work life balance
In the five years I’ve been there I’ve requested changes to my days and hours three different times for personal reasons this has always been accommodated. The main criticism would be that the focus of all development and advancement is in police officers and staff are invisible in terms of any investment in development
Excellent Career Employer
Excellent Career Employer. With various opportunities in policing building on skills such as: security, law enforcement, conducting investigations, building and management of case files etc.
Transferring think long and hard about it
Transferring in think long and hard about it. Nice place to live. Work culture and ethos is somewhat bizarre. Think backward attitudes and policies. Largervforces actually care more about their staff.
I wouldnt encourage anyone to join the police its not a career anymore just a job
The job has changed so much not for the better the I.T is put in and its not officer friendly driving officers mad with frustration you are not an officer your an I.T specialist now
Excellent career prospects for hard working and honest oeople
One of the best police forces in the country with a good mix of work opportunities. All staff are valued for their contribution and diversity is fully embraced
Good employer
No days the same, a chance to meet lots of people. Very good rate of pay, good leave entitlements, if you have a family my management have been fantastic for allowing time off.
Stressful, but rewarding at times.
West Mercia Police, like every public sector workplace, has experienced major cuts over the last 5 years. This has negatively affected morale and has increased workloads. However the staff on the whole are compassionate, hardworking and good teamplayers.
Excellent employer
My time as a casual at West Mercia Police was excellent.

I worked there in various capacities and enjoyed each one. The work was engaging and the pay was fair. My colleagues were great. I always knew where I stood. I would happily work for West Mercia Police again.
Hard work, lots of stress
Lots of stress and politics within Policing. No resources and more work to do.
Management do not understand the pressures on those doing the job. Need more backing from the Government with funding to tackle Crime and disorder.
Pros
great people to work alongside
Cons
long unsociable hours
People are usually very friendly and supportive, flexi working is great as you can have additional time for any hospital/dentist appointments without taking annual leave.
work placement
I was on a work placement for a week with west merica were we learnt about all the different job roles within the police force.
I acted out scenarios and even watched them train the police dogs.
satisfied
interesting environment of job, each day new experience, work independently, i would rate management very low as there was no action to improve job quality.
Amazing!
The two years I spent as a police cadet were amazing, I was given a huge insight towards being a member of the West Mercia Police Force. All staff were kind and friendly, even humorous at times!
Pros
Good Leader, flexible voluntary hours, fun
Trusted employer
A typical day involves a large percentage of time managing the job on computer systems.
Training is given on the use of computers.

Political correctness has now been pushed to the fore which ensures an equal working environment for everyone.
Cons
Lack of job security due to constant changes to staff roles and locations for postings
Great Job, Learned Alot
Great Job, great staff. very good training, very flexible. Issue was balancing voluntary work with full time work and a social life. The job itself was very fun and interesting if I could balance it better I would still be a special.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
No pay
Constrained by finance
Financial constraints have changed WMP. Everything is run on good will. Good support from colleagues but frustrating beyond words. Currently recruiting as there are too few people trying to do too many jobs.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Long hours, poor IT infrastructure .