Play YouTube video button

Wesleyan Assurance Society Employee Reviews

United Kingdom55 reviews
Featured review
Wesleyan Assurance Society selected this as a representative review
I thoroughly enjoy being a part of the Wesleyan family. We have a fantastic team and as a business are moving in the right direction.

I'm really proud of the support we offer to our customers. Positive culture and great people.

Great city centre location and good facilities for those based in Birmingham.
20 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review. It's fantastic to hear of the pride you feel when working here. We're also pleased to read of your thoughts around our culture and people - as it is this that drives us forward as business. Thank you!
Good products, great people
recent management changes are impacting the culture

Hard work and long hours but rewarding

Less recognition and more expectations than under previous management but still a good working environment
5 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're working hard to ensure the Society remains strong for the future, even during these unprecedented times, and are pleased that you find your role rewarding. Wesleyan.
I hated everything about this job. The line manager was a control freak, who would not leave me alone, the whole time I was there. She kept staring at me all day long. She would not even let me go to the toilet, without cross-examining me. If I didn't speak, she would tell me to join in the conversation. If I did speak, she would tell me to be quiet!
She kept interfering with what I was doing at lunch time. She forced me to stay in a group with my work colleagues, even though I did not want to, and they did not want to bother with me. I brought sandwiches to work every day, and she tried to persuade me to throw them away, and go for a pizza. I would not throw them away, because there are people starving in the world. Also, I wanted to eat my own sandwiches.

She kept asking me nosy questions about my family, my private life, and what I was doing in my spare time, including evenings and weekends. It was none of her business. She kept saying that I smelled bad, even though I did not, and no-one else could smell anything, even people who were sitting just next to me. She kept asking me if I had had a bath in the morning, even though I had one, every morning. She was a nosy, interfering nuisance.

Furthermore, she kept trying to pressurise me into giving money to charity, but I could not afford it, because I was on the minimum wage.

She was a very rude and sarcastic person, and was very difficult to get on with. She was completely unprofessional. She also displayed favouritism towards one particular colleague, and would let him get away with bad behaviour that would have been
 - more...
Pros
Cons
harassment, bullying, threats, intimidation, fear, rudeness, vulgarity
5 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. The behaviours you share above are unacceptable, and we would urge you to contact us if you haven;t already done so with more information. These are not the behaviours that are recognised - or practiced - by the vast majority of employees at Wesleyan. Thank you.
Don't look after their staff, only interested in their profits & job cuts all the time. I would rather work as a sewerman than work for Wesleyan......
Cons
Wesleyan is a great place to work, friendly and flexible.
Wesleyan is open to all cultures and religions which is good to see

My current job is hectic but manageable, occasionally have to work over.
16 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a 5* review, we really appreciate it.
Wesleyan really care about the wellbeing of their staff and have introduced lots of initiatives including flexible working and mental health spaces and first aiders.

As a big company I feel job security and also plenty of colleagues to bounce ideas off.
3 March 2020
Thank you for leaving such a great review... We are glad that you feel secure in your role. As mentioned in your comments, we do support flexible working and our mental health spaces (The Sanctuary) and First Aiders can help us support people from across the business with their overall wellbeing. Thanks.
Overall a good place to work, with friendly, helpful and supportive colleagues. Working environment is collaborative and each day presents new challenges.
3 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review. We're pleased that you recognise our culture as being supportive and friendly, and hope you continue to enjoy working at Wesleyan!
Fast-paced and challenging place of work with a great professional environment. A wealth of knowledge and experience can be obtained from this excellent environment
Pros
Location for its city environment
Cons
Expensive to park your car in the City Centre
25 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review. We're pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with the business and that you were able to gain knowledge and experience. Thanks.
Having been at Wesleyan for approaching 3 months I would absolutely recommend Wesleyan as an employer. Having spent over 20 years in a PLC environment it is refreshing to be with an employer where mutuality is happening in practice with an equal balance between customer and colleague. Whilst Wesleyan is a mutual there is the required balance between mutuality and commerciality. The management structure is open (some hierarchical elements exist but they always will in any organisation) with CEO and other Execs regularly visible and communicating. Overall there is a good feel to the organisation with colleagues having a voice which is listened to.
24 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review. It is fantastic to hear about your thoughts on our mutuality, as this is an area we work hard to maintain and really 'live' as a business. Thank you.
My favourite part about working at the Wesleyan is the culture that has been embedded here. The support and assistance colleagues receive from one another helps create a really positive atmosphere in which staff can excel.
24 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It's always great to read about the culture and atmosphere at Wesleyan!
I have worked at Wesleyan for almost 5 years and despite a plethora of change, the one constant has been the fantastic culture and the willingness of people to collaborate and move things forward.

The business has modernised considerably during this time, and the current management is looking to make positive change from the top.

I would recommend working at Wesleyan to anybody looking to work in a friendly financial services role... and they also look after junior staff better than anywhere else I have worked.
24 February 2020
Thank you for leaving a review. We're pleased that you recognise our strong culture and that you would recommend Wesleyan as a place to work. Our people are what makes the business special, and we will continue to evolve and progress while supporting our employees, members and customers. Thank you.
The Wesleyan comprises the main assurance society and then several divisions. The majority of the business is head quartered in Birmingham with the Bank division also having offices in New Malden and Northwich and Practice Plan Group being based in Oswestry and there are cultural differences between the locations and groups. My experiences relate specifically to Wesleyan Bank.

Whilst the interview process was long, due in part, to my role being newly established and multiple stakeholders being involved, my hiring manager went out of his way to keep in touch with me, right through my 3 month notice with my old job until the day I started which I felt was really unique.

Since joining I have been really well supported in learning new things, not only by my manager but also by my peers and contacts across the Group. The learning has included formally recognised third party courses too which are transferable.

The hardest part of my job is probably working across multiple business units and trying to foster a spirit of co-operation and the speed at which the Group moves. I have also had 4 line managers in a 5 year period which, whilst it sounds like a lot, I have learned something from each.

The most enjoyable part of the job, aside from variety and the flexibility to manage your own work, is the way in which we pull together as a team to meet a particular challenge or need and the ability to challenge and be challenged in an open environment.

The company continues to change and evolve and genuinely does care about its customers and employees.
Pros
good pension and holiday including ability to buy and sell holiday, good salary, volunteer days and benefits portal
Cons
change, speed of response at a group level
21 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave such an in-depth and honest review. As you mention, we have various offices and business units that form the wider Wesleyan Group, and we're working harder than ever to foster a feeling of 'One Wesleyan' across them all. Thank you.
Rapidly modernising company. Refreshed and generally fantastic senior management, don't expect an easy ride but there truly is an open-door policy if you have the initiative to make use of it. Pretty good I&D and pastoral care.

Working environment also improving gradually (car parking and general staff tech still not great but changes are in the works.
20 February 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It's pleasing to see that our modernisation work is being recognised. We are very proud of the work we continue to do around Inclusion and Diversity and will continue to act and make a positive difference in this area as the business continues to evolve. Thank you.
I would definitely recommend Wesleyan as a great place to work with great people and culture. I have been given lots of opportunities to progress in my career.
20 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review and that you feel that you have been able to progress you career at Wesleyan. We're also pleased to read of your comments about the workplace and colleagues, as we firmly believe that these are what makes Wesleyan such a great place!
Good opportunity for progression within my role backed up by supportive management and colleagues. The work / life balance is good and the flexibility offered has been of great benefit.
20 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review. We're glad to read that you feel so supported by management, and will continue to improve and offer flexibility as and where possible.
Could be amazing place to work if wages were higher and managers conducted management training on how to support employees and not leave so many questions without answers.
20 February 2020
Thanks for leaving a review. We would welcome an opportunity to speak with you around some of the points raised... You can do so in confidence by emailing engagement@wesleyan.co.uk or by speaking to a line manager. Thanks.
The organisation provides a great work life balance to staff and team/collaborative working culture.
Colleagues are friendly and helpful. Overall a great place to work.
20 February 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave such a positive review. It's always pleasing to hear from happy members of staff that enjoy the work/life balance offered.
Company is going through a lot of changes at the moment, hopefully that will give this formerly great place to work at a clearly defined future that benefits a lot of good staff that perhaps get overlooked.
20 February 2020
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We're sorry to read that you feel, as a former employee, that we may have lacked direction. In recent months we have been working hard to set very clear our future direction, and will continue to share this with employees across the business. Thank you.
I recently joined Wesleyan but I'm enjoying my time here so far. The recruitment process was fairly smooth, during the interview I was required to do a telephone role play which I hadn't heard of before but I received the offer within a week.There are regular check ins with your manager to discuss your progress and deal with any concerns. There are multiple opportunities for career progression and professional qualifications are encouraged. There is a network for employee wellbeing which is concerned with staff physical and mental health, multiple break out areas, a sanctuary room and a roof garden.
Pros
Work life balance, Location, Employee Wellbeing
Cons
No parking
20 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review. We are so pleased to read about how well you have settled in, and your initial thoughts on the business and our culture. Thanks!
Over worked..management needs to be retrained.. very manipulative and poor communication tactics..work colleague doesn’t interact making the work atmosphere more challenging than it needs to be
19 February 2020
We’re sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your time at Wesleyan. If you would like to share any thoughts on how things could be improved, please email engagement@wesleyan.co.uk. Thank you.
Enjoyed working there and gained a lot of experience and made new friends. Would highly recommend it to other people to work there. Good opportunities involved within the role.
19 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re glad that you were able to gain experience and that you would recommend Wesleyan to others.