Wescot Credit Services Employee Reviews

Goid pay but terrible management
Collections & Recoveries agent (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow2 June 2019
Having left over 1 month ago I did a leavers survey which asked if i wanted HR to contact me regarding the issues I brought up. I said yes, needless to say I've heard nothing. Hence why after 5 weeks im writing this review. If they had contacted me I wouldn't have felt the need to post this

From the offset this company promise you everything but deliver nothing. Training was ok, trainers were good but what let them down was the material, as at the time I went through training they had no live systems. So for lots of questions they had no answers. You were told wait and see, that really is very poor in a professional financial environment

You're told don't worry about call length, we want quality not quantity. Not the case, getting shouted at by senior management There's calls queuing, get a move on. Personally I just ignored them but other younger members took it badly being shouted at.
They say they are all about the staff, eh no they're not. All Wescot worries about his keeping their lucrative financial contracts and not the staff. You're a number and nothing else. You will fail a call if the person marking it doesn't agree with what you said or how you said it. They do also tell you if you do not agree on your call mark then you can appeal it. Well good luck with that. Depending on who marked the call then you have no hope of them even listening to it let alone remarking it.

Admittedly the management have a hard job as they report to senior management however they do not recognise when a good job is done. It's just wiped under the carpet.

The salary is actually
  more... not bad but when you have to jump through hoops for it then you sure work hard for it.

The shift patterns are doable however you just feel you are always in work and never at home. They will pick up on the fact you signed on seconds/minutes late but say nothing when you get held back on a call. Also to highlight if your shift is due to finish at 8pm and there are calls queuing you are not allowed to sign out. You are expected to sit there if calls are queuing. The lines are not closed till 8pm on the dot. If you do leave when calls are queuing you are spoken to by management the next day.

Unfortunately it is also if your face fits environment. Needless to say even tho I had over 20 years experience in the industry my face well and truly did not fit.

If you're off sick you only get paid 5 days sick in the 1st year, youre totally gubbed if your really ill. No sick pay after that tho you do get SSP but only after day 3 of being sick

I understand that Wescot is in it to make money but at the end of the day staff are human and should be treated as such. Respect is expected by management but they do not show it to staff. It works both ways, maybe this is why so many of the good/talented and devoted staff have now left and many many others are also looking to leave.

I know HR do read these reviews and reply to them asking the employee to contact them to discuss the points raised. If Wescot is in any way interested in discussing with me the points I've highlighted then please leave your contact details in your reply. it is Wescot after all.
Pros
Good location, salary was ok
Cons
Poor management, not being respected
17 June 2019

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that this has been your experience and we do indeed take all feedback on-board and apologise for not being in contact sooner. Could I ask you to make direct contact via return email from your Exit Interview invite along with your availability and we can arrange a time/date to discuss your feedback further.

Think twice..and then give it one more thought.
Debt Collector (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull30 May 2019
A typical day at work is relentless abuse from customers and criticism from management. Constant and repeated reviews, 'feedback' and contradiction. Hardest part of the job was attaining a call score from your team leader that was not laced with criticism; everything is a potential fail. Call scores = Call quality. Call quality = Job security. Feedback = Criticism. Unbalanced.
Workplace culture is clicky. Most enjoyable part of the job were the rare occasions that a customer actually appreciated the help you gave them.
Note; not all smiles are genuine.
Pros
Salary, colleagues.
Cons
Almost everything else.
12 June 2019

In response to the points you have raised, we truly do endeavour to provide every employee with feedback, coaching and support that is both positive and constructive. The quality of the calls and the service we provide to our customers is of upmost importance; especially as we work in an industry that is highly regulated by the FCA. We always strive to achieve the right outcome for every customer we interact with, so to allow us to constantly improve we audit a large number of our calls on a regular basis. Feedback, coaching and training are provided on a regular basis to help each call centre agent grow and improve as they progress their career with Wescot. I am sorry that you feel the feedback you received was criticism; we will take this feedback point on board.

None of our employees should have to deal with abuse from customers and therefore all are advised to either escalate abusive calls to a manager or provide the caller with a warning before terminating the call. I am sorry that you feel your calls were constantly abusive, this certainly isn’t the case and in fact we continually receive extremely positive feedback and praise from a large number of the customers that we speak to. I am glad you have noted that you did; on occasion, receive direct positive feedback from the customers that you spoke to.

The culture in our workplace is something we constantly focus on so that every employee looks forward to their day at work and interacts at all levels within the business where required. I am sorry that you felt the culture was clicky; that isn’t the case for our other  more... employees from the results of our recent employee opinion survey.

We are sorry that you feel this way about your overall experience as a Wescot employee and we appreciate you taking the time to provide your review. We would of course be happy to discuss the points you have raised face-to-face; so should you wish to do so please contact our HR department.

Great place for progression and job satisfaction
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hull City Centre, East Riding of Yorkshire16 May 2019
Overall a great company to work for with great benefits. There are good progression routes if this is something you want to do within the business.
The satisfaction comes from speaking to customers and dealing with their account accordingly. The training provided is thorough and learning on the job is a given due to the nature of the business.
Worked here for several years, and it has had it's ups and down, but this is to be expected with any work.
There are extra curricular activities, such as NVQ's, that the business provide, to help and support personal growth.
Pros
Great rewards programme, approachable management, good salary
Do not work here for the sake of your sanity.
Collections Agent (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow12 May 2019
I had worked at Wescot for around a year and it was honestly one of the worst jobs I have ever worked in. The training portion of the job was absolutely fine, everyone seemed friendly enough until you actually were put out onto the call floor. Management within the first part of your experience on the job was horrendous. You were constantly messed about, not made aware of things like booking off Christmas holidays, rota changes and things/events that were happening in the workplace. Management are very dry with you and when you have an issue with someone and then you feel you are shamed for speaking out about it and then get a reputation for it. There were a lot of stories circulating about how you had to be well liked to proceed and advance within the actual role and it showed through management as people who were more liked were getting things more their own way. I would not work here again or recommend anyone to do so as it is a very cut-throat environment. Do not get me wrong, I met some lovely people within the actual job but you need to watch your back with management as you will get a knife put in at some point. The paycheque was great, the hours were absolutely horrendous. I would recommend starting up with the lowest hours possible as being in there for too long would drive you insane. There was no support system for if you had came off of a bad call that had affected you. The actual job is quite hard going sometimes depending which campaign you're on (they don't mention this within the job advert) so you need to have semi-thick skin to last a while in here. This was  more... never a place I would have thought I would have a career in, I would strongly not recommend staying in here for a long time as eventually you will just be bullied into doing things you're not wanting to do or not getting where you are wanting to go within the role.  less
Pros
Being able to leave the building for lunch.
Cons
The disgusting treatment received from management.
21 May 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review and feedback. We are disappointed that this has been your perception of working at Wescot as we work very hard to create an engaging and supportive environment providing opportunities, where we can, for our colleagues who desire them.

Without knowing the individual detail in your feedback we would like to respond to some of the elements of your review.

Our Glasgow office has been on an exciting journey in support of our business growth objectives over 2018 which will continue across 2019. During that period we have ensured we provide a quality induction experience for all new colleagues, which includes 3-4 weeks classroom based training and then an 8-12 week ‘grad bay’ environment where we have additional coaches and subject matter experts in place, along with our management team, to ensure all colleagues are provided with individual, tailored 1-1 support. This approach receives very good feedback from our colleagues regarding the support we provide and corresponds with the responses from our recent colleague survey where we score highly on the elements regarding Management and Leadership teams.

Another output from our growth is the opportunity to offer promotion or development opportunities – whether that be increased skillsets within the Customer Service Agent role or taking on other operational or support based roles. Many of our colleagues have gone on to build great careers with us. Within Glasgow we are pleased to confirm that all of our additional Team Leader roles have been filled internally along with vacancies  more... within Call Quality, Learning & Development, IT and our Internal MI functions. Through continued support and development opportunities it is our aim to continue utilising our internal talent whenever possible. All our managers strive to provide the best experience and support for our colleagues, ensuring continuous and appropriate communication channels through the day-to-day contact, team briefs and regular 1-1’s. We are sorry to hear that this was not your experience and that if you had raised any concerns you feel these were not deal with appropriately. We have escalation processes in place should circumstances as you describe occur.

We are pleased that you note the salary was great as we regularly benchmark this to ensure our offerings remain competitive. Regarding the hours of work, our business is open from 8am-8pm, Monday to Friday and 8am-5pm on a Saturday. We offer a range of full-time contractual hours to allow colleagues to select the best contract to fit their financial and personal commitments, with shift patterns operating on a 6 week rotational basis with 1 in 3 Saturdays. Again, feedback received is that our shifts are competitive with similar roles and environments and give our colleagues the opportunity to have a good work-life balance. However we are regularly reviewing our shift patterns within our operation as our business grows, with a view to being able to offer more desirable working patterns to our colleagues where we can.

We endeavour to provide all new colleagues with an accurate reflection of our business and the role being recruited. Back in 2018 we developed a candidate pack which is issued to all candidates in advance of coming along to one of our recruitment events – this was developed with the support of our Customer Service Agents to ensure that the role being described was a true reflection and provides candidates with all the necessary information and insight to make an informed decision about the role they have applied for.

Your feedback has been shared with our managers and recruitment team. We will use this in our continued drive to make Wescot and our Glasgow office a great place to work.

Gillian McFadyen
HR Business Partner

21 May 2019

Gillian McFadyen
HR Business Partner

Good Pay, Long Hours
Collections Agent (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull28 March 2019
For the pay, it's a decent job but it can be draining due to the nature of it. You've gotta be thick skinned to work here. If you can deal with all kinds of customers, then this could be the job for you. You need to have empathy and understanding though
Pros
Salary
Cons
Long hours, terrible management
14 June 2019

Joke!
N/A (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull26 March 2019
Worked there for many years. I was the best at the job and always finished as number 1 in my field which turned out to be my downfall because i was given all of the work to do while other colleagues just sat twiddling their thumbs. I was always on my own in the morning or night as the shifts were always unbalanced, so i was trying to manage a department of incoming and outgoing calls on my own..
I regularly complained about this to management but nothing ever got sorted. Thus in turn causing me a serious illness which affected my time at work. Instead of releasing the burden on me and cutting my workload down or giving me a help on the phones they decided to fire me. Absolutely joke of a company!!!
Cons
Management =Terrible. No empathy. Long hours. No social time..
rewarding workplace
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire25 March 2019
a challenging job, but worth trying
learned a lot regarding debts and ways to help people out of it;
very helpful and understanding management;
workplace culture always depends on individuals, something to work on;
Pros
great training and induction
Cons
some customers are making the job unpleasant, but it is still acceptable
good place to work
Debt Collection Agent (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire24 January 2019
I worked here for eight years the company is a good place to work an has great staff made plenty of friends and learned a lot about the industry. worth a look
A lot of support
Agent (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire3 September 2018
A usual day would be taking and making calls to customers who have outstanding balances with Wescot's clients and setting payment plans for the customer. Youhave a lot of training to start with which is enough to help you confidently reach the right outcome for the customer. The hardest part is sometimes you do get the abusive customer. And yearly they put on at least 2 nights out for the company
Pros
Free nights out
Cons
Weekend work
Avoid 100%
Debt Recovery Agent (Former Employee) –  Glasgow16 August 2018
Worst place I have worked in by far. Your face needs to fit in otherwise your doomed. Management are HORRIFIC. I would advise everyone to avoid this company if possible
Pros
Wages
Cons
Management, breaks, lunchs, long hours, nobody cares
4 September 2018

Thank you for your review – your feedback does matter to us. We are disappointed to hear your felt this way during your employment.

Our management team work incredibly hard to ensure everyone feels supported and has the tools and knowledge to do their role well – both upon joining our Company and as they progress through their career. We offer a variety of contracted hours to allow our colleagues to select the best working hours to support their work-life balance and financial commitments prior to joining the Company and have flexible working policies in place as required as we appreciate that colleagues circumstances may change.

Without knowing the detail behind your comments we are unable to respond further. If you would like to contact us directly to discuss any of your feedback specifically we would be happy to do so.

Kind Regards

Gillian - HR Manager

Not good
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow24 July 2018
Not a good place to work by any stretch of the imagination.

No leadership, no management, no direction, no strategy. Management that micro manages the unimportant stuff and steers clear of the things that actually matter.
4 September 2018

We are sorry that you feel that this was your experience whilst you were working on our project.

Please contact us directly if you would like to discuss this further or if there are any specific issues you feel we could address directly.

Alastair - IT Director

Interesting work initially, but soon becomes stale.
Collections Agent (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull30 May 2018
Wescot put a lot into their training program, however with a few coaches there the information does tend to become contradictory and you get the feeling that if another coach was marking your progress you may have different results.
The pay is quite good for a call-centre role, however the role is stressful and it is difficult to leave emotion at the door, sometimes leaving you stuck in a quandary as to how to handle a call going by what you believe is right against what the company thinks is right. If you have very strong ethics this may not be the right role for you.
It is a very bureaucratic establishment with little to no leeway, and if you aren't able to 'mould into the box' you will not last. Despite all this it is a good place to put down on your CV and may be right for someone who is able to change their way of thinking to match the requirements, but if you have trouble adjusting you may not wish to apply.
Pros
Decent pay and holiday
Cons
Antisocial hours, patronising coaches.
Good all rounded experience
Customer Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Saltcoats, North Ayrshire29 April 2018
You can come across different types of calls and everyone helps regarding helping out customers. Company fully trains you to have knowledge to deal with the job. Only problem is that you may be held up with calls if you are wanting to get away at the end of shift.
Pros
company train you for the job
Cons
shift can run into free time but time is given back
Friendly environment
Customer Service - Collections Agent (Former Employee) –  Hull26 March 2018
Friendly environment, supportive management. Main duties were speaking to customers to set up repayment plans on defaulted accounts, the customer satisfaction was a rewarding aspect of this position.
No progression, No appreciation - Not worth the time.
Collections Advisor (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow8 February 2018
I worked for Wescot for almost a year and a half. This was my first call centre job and although I had heard some horror stories about other call centres I have to admit that the most inviting aspects I would say (if you are planning on applying to Wescot) is that the majority of the Glasgow staff are extremely friendly and most of the time it is easy to get days off when you need them. They apparently offer a good pay in comparison to other call centres. It definitely is not the worst job but due to the conversations you may have over the phone it is NOT for the faint hearted.

But there are more NEGATIVE aspects to positive unfortunately..Training began on a 9-5 basis for a few weeks and once completed our team went on to a set rotation of shifts between 8am to 8pm at night. To begin with this was fine but when you end up getting stuck on a call over your shift it can be difficult to get the time back and then if you were late by 5 or 10 mins you always had to work the exact time back to the minute.

On a daily basis, agents will take inbound & outbound calls to set up affordable and sustainable arrangements on behalf of the client. Their is a complete lack of communication in the business with multiple changes being made to client processes on a weekly basis meaning you think you're giving the customer the correct information and best customer service then the next week if the same call gets graded you get marked down or fail. Wescot have their own marking systems which contradict the clients marking system and are completely down to opinion, meaning one person could
  more... fail a call for one thing and another could pass for the same thing. There is no consistency and due to lack of communication from the client I remember this causing confusion and stress between staff members when trying to understand the status of some accounts, especially if a customer was questioning you. I remember thinking at the time that it wasn't giving the customer the best service and if this brought up in meetings to put forward to the client, I reckon it didn't even get to their ears in fear of losing the contract. Too much money to be made in my opinion. At the end of the day you are just another number to them and in their eyes they could get someone off the street to do the same job so I remember a lot of people feeling under appreciated due to this.

It isn't a job you can progress in and the people that do progress are usually the favourites or those who have been there for some time. I remember a lot progressing who didn't always have the best grades which was odd considering they expect your to meet the marking targets otherwise you get the boot. It didn't make much sense to me at the time how some agents could be illiterate and can hardly talk but somehow get promotions with a wage increase.
Pros
Friendly colleagues
Cons
Long hours, Very little appreciation for the work that is completed and Contradiction business round.
19 April 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your time taken.

Our 4 week training programme is run over the 9am-5pm hours. Following colleague and manager feedback we extended this pattern for a further 4 weeks within grad-bay before moving onto the rotational shift pattern between the hours of 8am-8pm from week 9. We understand that all calls are not going to have concluded to match individuals shifts, however we always ensure individuals are afforded the time back at a mutually convenient alternative time, typically within 48 hours. We are sorry if that has not been your experience and we would encourage anyone to highlight any challenges getting the time back to their manager at that time.

Within Wescot, we follow a robust call quality framework aligned to regulatory requirements to ensure the best experience for our customers. Call scoring and feedback is based the conversations and outcomes reached for customer within that framework. We work hard to ensure that scoring is aligned with regular calibration sessions held between our call quality and operational divisions. Where a colleague does not agree with the feedback there is an appeals process that can be followed. We also ensure that colleagues results are not impacted by changes in process which have not been communicated at the time of the call. We work hard to communicate regularly with our colleagues and to obtain and act on feedback, communicating via regular ‘team shouts’, training workshops, employee forums, 1-1’s and Operational Updates.

We invest a lot of time providing our colleagues with the knowledge,  more... tools and support they need to provide an excellent service to our customers and to excel personally. Along with our training programme and grad-bay environment, colleagues have an opportunity to gain a fully-funded, recognised qualification in Providing Financial Services. We also openly promote all our vacancies internally and encourage all with the suitable skills to apply. We are very proud of how many of our colleagues have successfully gained their Level 3 qualification and who have also managed to progress into other opportunities across our business. We appreciate this is not your typical contact centre or role but we are very proud of the great people and teams we have on-board with us who make the friendly and encouraging environment that you describe.

If you would like to talk to us further regarding your feedback, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Best Wishes
Fiona Conner (Business Performance Manager)

Great benefits and wage
BFI Agent (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire3 January 2018
Great benefits and wage however very boring and slim chance of progression. Work is just 8 hours looking at a screen and sometimes hours without a call.
Benefits
Cons
Staring at a screen all day
Enjoyable working environment and professionally ran company
Collections Agent (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire28 August 2017
A typical day at work would include, answering inbound calls from customers and assisting them with their needs. Either helping them to maintain a suitable arrangement with their debts or answering general queries on their accounts. I have acquired good customer service skills and enjoyed working as part of a skilled team and building on using my own initiative. The hardest part of the job is trying to work with customers who are not willing to co-operate. The most enjoyable part of the job is the rewarding feeling when you have helped someone who is in financial difficulty.
Pros
Staff benefits
Cons
poor progression up the company ladder
Busy but the management is nice
Collections Agent (Current Employee) –  Hull City Centre, East Riding of Yorkshire4 August 2017
The management are caring and supportive, the work is both busy and can get boring and repetitive. There is positive feedback given and there are good job progression prospects within the company.
Pros
Cons
Some late nights
Excellent learning experience.
Debt Recovery Agent (Former Employee) –  Glasgow3 July 2017
I looked forward to a day at wescot. I worked there for a few years and it was the best learning experience in a call centre environment. The team members became best friends, not only my team but the other 4 teams at the time. Its the most memorable and best work experience I have ever had.
good job
Debt Recovery Agent (Current Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire30 June 2017
secure job, good wage, lots of growth within the business, shift rotation, some part time agents, inbound and outbound calls, can be stressful, targets to achieve

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wescot Credit Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Wescot Credit Services Reviews by Location