Welsh Water Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work. Managers are cliquey and department managers are worse! RUBBISH MONEY
Private (Former Employee) –  Private4 August 2016
The customer service manager at present is atrocious!! They are extremely demoralising, you aren't allowed to talk or leave your seat without being questioned. Every department especially call centre have targets and if you don't meet your targets you are pulled up in front of everyone! You cannot get any annual leave unless you book a year in advance. You are being recruited because so many people leave!!

The call centre top boss is an arrogant swear word as is the customer service manager.

Stay away, trust me!!
Pros
Nice building, training is excellent!!
Cons
Terrible management, Terrible hours, No respect as an advisor, Rubbish money. Do not do it!!
Very productive work place that gave me new skills that will help me in the future and in the present.
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff22 July 2016
Welsh Water helped me experience the work environment and helped me hone my skills. It also was a fun and productive place to work as I also helped the company with work. I put the salary as a 1 star as I do no know the salary as I was on work experience, therefore I didn't get payed. But overall it was a very refreshing experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Welsh Water
Revenue Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff15 May 2016
Welsh water is a good company. The hours are flexible.
Great company culture and Values. Everyone is nice on the teams.
Coworkers help each other out and look out for each other.
The hours are flexible but it also depends on the type of job you do.
Pros
Good Environment
productive & busy site
process technical operator (Former Employee) –  Port Talbot15 April 2016
lots of sampling,testing etc.lots going on throughout a day or night.no 2 days were the same as things change in the process.overall I enjoyed my time there
Pros
flexible with breaks
Cons
could be wet & dirty due to outdoor work.
alright place
cafe assitant (Current Employee) –  Rhayader5 March 2016
its okay hardest job ive have ever dine> get on with my co workers. ive learnt how to work as part of a team and improve my customer service
Pros
nothing
Cons
not very good hours
Dont work in the cardiff office
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff23 February 2016
I worked in the St Mellons Building and it was unbearable, I was forever feeling that I was being watched and listened to, and felt so uneasy at al times, as did a lot of other people. The management are so unprofessional, and very clicky with long term employees. The teams are also very clicky, and do not make you feel welcome at all. Why employ new staff if you don't want them there? that's my question.
Pros
Nice Restaurant
Cons
Horrible team and Management
Not much chance of job progression
Debt Collections Manager (Current Employee) –  St mellons Cardiff22 February 2016
I enjoy working at welsh water, however their is not much opportunity within this business for personal progression.
The role I am currently in is fast pace, constant inbound or outbound calls to chase both domestic and commercial customers for outstanding balances. I build rapport with the customer to discover what their financial situation is and their lifestyle to see if I can alter the customers repayment plan to something more affordable or to clear arrears if needed depending on customers circumstances.
My colleagues are all really friendly and helpful and I have made some very good friends threw this position, we all work well together and support each other.
I enjoy helping customers who are struggling and offering them affordability options that they did not know about previously.
One of the lower points in this position is that some customer are genuinely trying to pay their water bill but struggling and due to the bill accumulating large arrears over the years they are then sent to Litigation which is
Pros
regular overtime available
Cons
shifts include working until 8pm and occasional weekends
great
Network technician (Former Employee) –  Wales27 January 2016
was a great place to work done my apprenticeship here and was well trained and productive outcome.great pay and salary was high.
soon to be redundant
Labourer - Duties (Former Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil, WLS14 January 2016
Looking for a job as a labourer preferably working with steel would be willing to train as a blacksmith, making railings, gates etc.
Fun place to work
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nelson, ENG3 November 2015
The staff and management worked well within the team. There was also course in where you could better myself whilst working for them.
Liaising with customers to arrange a payment plans, meter reading,
Part time Field Operative Dec 1990-present (Current Employee) –  Cardiff20 August 2015
Excellent working relationships with colleagues. The company has changed during the time I have been working with them some good ways and some bad.
Pros
flexible working
Cons
no career opportunities
reinstator
Raker and roller driver (Former Employee) –  caernarfon9 July 2015
same job i did with triact, loved this job, different location every day great team work and was made a ganger. also offered opertunities to operate machinery
highly engaging company and job function
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  WLS12 May 2015
welsh water is a company that allows you to develop yourself and your skills and also brings out the best in you.lovely team members and line manager and an interesting sector/industry to have worked in.
Productive and beneficial workplace
Streetwork Clerk (Former Employee) –  St Mellons/Nelson29 April 2015
Having worked in various depts. in Welsh Water have found it a very easy place to work - staff friendly and welcoming and management approachable. Learning on the job is a very active part of the day to day process and help and advice available to all.
Fantastic opportunity
Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff2 February 2015
I came into this job with no experiance in the financial area, or utility companies. This job taught me about the general coperate world and also general office work.

I absolutly loved being able to put my knowledge into a job, I am a very logical thinker, I love the challenges and problem solving elements of this job. I really enjoyed the more mentally taxing tasks, and bewing able to train my memory to rememeber numerical details, especially long numbers and Purchase Orders.

When I first entered the job there were a lot of procedures to remember and I had to learn fast to stay on top of my work load, I really enjoyed working under my own steam and having deadlines to meet.

I enjoyed working with my colleugues on the project as there was a diverse mixture of contracters and permenant eployees and this meant I got to learn about many different job opportunities and the working of the busisness world.

The Work / Life balance was also a massive plus, I was trusted with my hours and I was on a flexitime contract which was great as I often traveled back to Hatfield or Hull to continue my other part time job for a while.

The hardest part of the job was learning how all the different procedures came together, once I finally understood the procurement proceedures my job became much more manageable.
Pros
Great colleugues, Fnatastic management, great work life balance.
Cons
Temporary contract, no advancement possible.
Time has taken its toll on the company.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newport19 September 2014
In and out of privatisation has taken a heavy toll on Welsh Water. It has gone from a caring and responsible company to one which look for reasons NOT to do something.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Evasive and untrustworthy
Productive, Excellent progression pathways. Friendly place
Communications Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nelson, Wales13 August 2014
A Typical day at work is based in the office, although I did a lot of travelling in the South West Wales area for work schemes or customer events. Throughout the roles I developed excellent communication skills and people skills.
Hardest part of the job was gaining updates when you needed them. Gaining feedback from colleagues was the hardest.

The most enjoyable part of the job was customer interaction and the staff were also great.
Interesting job
Archiving Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newport, WLS16 June 2014
I enjoyed archiving the documents i did because I learnt about how dams are built, the amount of planning that goes into building water works, dams and the extensive lengths of reservoirs.
The hardest part of the job was creating a completely new filing system to account for every document in holding. However the most enjoyable part of this job was that I was able to work alone and get on with whatever it was that needed to be done.
Pros
Very flexible
Cons
Time consuming
Good place to work with variety of interesting characters
Personal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff3 May 2014
Organisational skills is must! My Boss is very rarely in the office, so everything needs to be in place in order for him to arrive on time and fully versed, along with all the necessary papers.
Pros
Working for a company who tries to do its best for the people and environment
Cons
Job is temporary and will always be
outdoor work
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  Meirionydd3 April 2014
I cover the whole of Meirionydd, due to lack of training, I taught myself, which was hard work for the first 12 months. no promotion prospects.
Pros
flexible working
Cons
unpaid travelling time and breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Welsh Water. Our community is ready to answer.

Welsh Water Reviews by Location