Welsh Water Employee Reviews

Good place to work with colleagues who have a can do attitude and are always willing to help
Facilities Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bretton North Wales17 October 2019
Busy and productive
Be patient and work together
Managers are willing to back you up
Helpful and collaborative
Prioritising budget and jobs
Managing projects and change to successful outcomes
Shameful
HR Advisor (Former Employee) –  Linea28 September 2019
Shame. Shame. Shame.

I worked in HR and left a few months ago. Not only does HR not care about the rest of the company, but HR managers don't care about the HR team itself.

Morale is low. Staff turnover is high. Progression is non-existent.

Time to look inwards and be nicer to your staff. If you don't, you'll lose more talent.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Management belittling everyone. No progression.
Busy
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff7 September 2019
I found that in busy periods, it was difficult to keep up with the work loads and strict targets that were set. Training opportunities and jobs appeared frequently, but was very difficult to ask for more information and the jobs seemed to disappear very quickly. The team were friendly and gave good training when I began working for them, and introduced us to our job role very seamlessly, however i personally found the job wasnt what I thought it was, from reading the description in application.
Hazardous To Health
Site Operator (Former Employee) –  Hereford2 September 2019
Everything was going well and based on my performance I was given a full time position and then , based on my EXACT SAME performance I was given the sack ????
Truth is, the site I worked at was old and under-performing i.e. two separate external floods of raw sewage from broken pipework from the treatment works into adjoining fields, one internal flood of partially treated raw sewage. I covered the entire site on my own every day, so much so, it was a lonely miserable job, I could go weeks without seeing or even speaking with someone and then all of a sudden, every manager or senior tech under the sun appeared on site in an attempt to justify their existence/pay packet. So as to make it look like they were all doing something positive it was decided that I would be their scapegoat and it was bye bye for me. A blessing in disguise really. Yep it was all my fault. A new manager arrived and upon meeting him for the very first time I knew my days were numbered and that he was on an agenda to get rid of me, which he did and then after sacking me he moved onto pastures new. You're a bad person , you know who you are and you know that you'll have to answer one day for your actions, me ? My conscience is clear, the sky is full of rainbows and the birds are singing in the trees. Cheers mate ! No seriously , how can anyone get excited about working with other peoples pooh, urine , contraceptives and soiled tampons.
I`m such an awful person and so unemployable due to my incompetence and long hair that on the exact same day that I was sacked, I immediately got a new job as a Team
  more... Leader. I think I was only unemployed for an hour and a half.
Politics aye ?
Cons
its not what you know, its who you know
Not worth it!
HR Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Nelson2 September 2019
My experience working here was made much easier by the people I worked alongside and supported. Management do not care about you and will quickly find a way to get you out if they want you out.
Expect you to work to the bone with very minimal training. If wasn't for my peers I would have not had stood a chance.
No progression or opportunities to get involved in anything outside your JD. The turnover in the HR department is unbelievable. Find somewhere where you are actually valued for the work and effort you put in.
The weight off my shoulders leaving here has done my mental health wonders.
The only good thing is the salary and yearly bonus.
Awful place to work!
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  St Mellons, Cardiff13 August 2019
Inadequate training for what is a multi-faceted complex role.
Insufficient staff to cater for call volumes resulting in coaches having to take customer calls when they are supposed to be available to help new starters and team members.
Managers/Coaches never around when you need assistance.
It's frowned upon if you ask experienced colleagues for assistance.
You should be able to work as a team and help each other surely?
Shifts constantly changing, some until 8 pm and occasional Saturday mornings.
Penalised for taking comfort breaks!
Targets changing all the time - no consistency.
Get the impression that they take staff on for the busy billing period then let them go after 6 months by conveniently failing them on their 6 month probationary period. They find every little thing that you ever did wrong whilst you were learning the role and then hold it against you after 6 months, to justify them in letting you go.
Insufficient training where customers are in considerable debt and you are expected to set up an appropriate payment plan.
Call-centre culture is immature with silly games/quizzes and dressing up your desk for numerous obscure reasons.
Call centre management are downright rude and talk down to you.
If you like being bombarded with endless customer calls, getting frustrated when you need help and there's nobody available, not to mention the constantly varying shift patterns....... then this is the job for you!
Good luck (you'll need it!)
Pros
Free parking - If you get there early.
Cons
Ever changing shifts, inadequate training, cliquey management, poor pay.
Poor management
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff8 August 2019
Top bosses don't care about call centre staff. You are a number at the end of the day with no feelings. Pretty shocked with the turn over of staff and the amount that go off on sick due to stress, yet nothing is done to try and solve or let alone help their employees.
Drowned in sorrows
Customer water executive (Current Employee) –  St Mellons, Cardiff3 August 2019
Where do I begin..the management here will flush you down the drain, and you will feel flushed after the long shifts. I wanted to become a water expert but it was just a pipeline dream! :(
I always had high targets.. it was really hard to stay afloat. I was swimming in debts from the terrible pay..One day my supervisor brought me in for a one to one and I had a sinking feeling! Everyone is on a power trip..a big fish in a small pond! It was hard working with the customers..complaints were always flooding in. I never gained a thirst of knowledge working here! The training was pour!
Pros
Unlimited water at the tax payers expense
Cons
Pour management, company almost went into liquidisation, opportunities slipped down the drain.
If you like to work endlessly, best place to be
Chemistry Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cardiff1 May 2019
Too much work, too less staff
High pressure
Good salary
Good overtime pay
Poor management
Poor quality management in compare to time management
Unpleasant holiday arrangements
Pros
Good salary
Cons
good to work for but ....
Hire Fleet Engineer (Former Employee) –  Great Haywood, Staffordshire6 March 2019
While working there I enjoyed my time and got along really well with all of my fellow staff, my direct manager was a decent man to work for and bent over backwards to help me in any way he could, how ever middle management decided to take a disliking to me because of how well I was getting along with my manager and my fellow staff.

as a result of this disliking I was dismissed on ground that I was never informed of and still to this day have received no official reason as to why I was dimissed.
Average
Leakage Technician (Former Employee) –  Pontypridd20 February 2019
Good working environment until the need for cutbacks. Ruthless and random methods of laying off personel. No consideration for previous achievements and hard work.
Pros
Varied work
Cons
Lack of equipment
Debt advisor
Debt Advisor (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff12 February 2019
Taking inbound and making outbound calls to collect money owed. Learnt work load management, communication skills. Repetitive job. Good job security. Low salary and poor bonuses
Pros
good breaks, job security
Cons
long days, parking, repetitive job. Target driven
Do not work here !!!!
Advisor (Former Employee) –  St Mellons, Cardiff7 February 2019
Terrible culture, awful management, very clicky, hardly any training for a very complex role. The department manager always used to have a good gossip about staff members when they had left their seats, which included me..Horrible atmosphere, hated every minute..Very high staff turnover, hence that's why they are always advertisng. Also, there are not enough parking spaces for the amount of staff employed there.
Pros
Wages
Cons
Job role, no training, horrible management..very clicky..
Great benefits and opportunitues
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wales11 January 2019
Considering the size of the company, they generally care about their employees and have good employee protection and benefits including a great annual bonus reward. There's plenty of opportunity for progression and development as long as you have the right working attitude. Health & Safety is taken very seriously, as are other compliance procedures. It also feels rewarding to work for a not-for-profit company that provides an essential service.
No work life balance
Employee (Current Employee) –  Wales10 January 2019
Great pay
Over time if needed
Managers get to involved
Clicky
Supervisors chatting behind colleagues back via skype.
Finger pointing
Lack of staff to cover leave
Made to work Christmas Day.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Get treated horrible, work Christmas
Huge Potential
Senior Commercial Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff26 September 2018
It's a company that offers significant opportunities but lacks direction and senior management were unclear.

A decent enough employer - but this is dependent upon your career expectations.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Not ambitious
Unorganised, no real room for progression
Debt Collector and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St Mellons, Cardiff16 September 2018
No comment, hard to find and get to if using public transport, not enough staff to cover canteen, lunch/break time is over before even getting served, over priced
HGV Driver C+E (Current Employee) –  Buckley23 August 2018
After 15 years think its time to move and maybe do some part time driving wesh water is a good place to work and i was in the right place and right time
Pros
Good people around
Cons
Time to change
Poor pay and management
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff11 June 2018
Pay is poor and below most other call centres in Cardiff. Most of the managers are good, however I was with a manager who just didn't care and failed to given the correct training, which resulted in me leaving
The pay is good.
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff27 May 2018
I can only speak from my own experience but, The pay is typical above industry standard. however Learning and development opportunities are hard to come by.
Pros
good pay.
Cons
Poor Working Hours and a lack of work life balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Welsh Water. Our community is ready to answer.

Welsh Water Reviews by Location