Welsh Water

Welsh Water Employee Reviews

United Kingdom88 reviews
As a Non Profit Organisation, a fair employer with reasonable benefits e.g. Pension and Occupational support for employees. Company has a documented and embedded employee culture.
Really good company to work for . If you put the effort in you reap the rewards . Great pension and benefits .plenty of opportunities for progression . Once you are in the company there are opportunities to try other departments
Pros
Pension/ bonus/ good uniform/ vehicle
Cons
Avoid at all costs. Recently left my position here. The management are clueless, childish and arrogant. Only speak to you when you have done something wrong or made a mistake. The majority of the teams here are nice people, however some are childish , arrogant and are up managements behinds to progress further. Hours are perfect for work/life balance and pay
pretty good
Pros
Hours
Cons
Management, regulations, other staff
Management poor and lazy very clicky, stressful avoid avoid avoid.long calls no support, long shifts teams always split up, no consideration for staff
Cons
I believe welsh water to be one of the best companies i have worked for.
Everyone I met was friendly and helpful.

You are aways learning and there’s always opportunity to improve oneself!

Just a great company!
Fantastic place to work and a great overall job. Good wages but I had a manager who didn't keep me on after 2 temp contracts 2x12 month contracts! I loved working here and loved it!!! Horrible cretin!
Pros
Cons
Specific manager!
DCWW is a great place to work, friendly and supportive. They really put the customer and employees first. My average day was not average as an IT project manager, I did get to speak to lots of people who really had love for their own role and this was consistent throughout the business.
- High pressured environment
- Never enough support for colleagues from coaches and then managers not usually there or mostly busy

- Never enough staff employed (and can't retain them either)

- Facade of being concerned about mental health, giving out biscuits but Resource Managers are shouting across the call centre asking people to pick up more work Seconds in between.
DCWW work toward achieving the best experience for their customers. In all the time that I have worked in a customer service environment, I have never worked somewhere so dedicated to improving to become the best.
As a not for profit, everything they do is for the good of customers or the environment. I was always proud to work there
Welsh Water is an old-fashioned organisation in so many ways. The processes and policies are out of date. There is no consideration of work life balance. Worst of all, it is extremely hierarchical - when you reach a certain level you are untouchable and can do whatever you want, while those lower down have to take the blame for mistakes made. The HR team is no exception.

Working in HR is fine if you are happy to do as you’re told by people who don’t know what they are doing themselves. It would be devastating to your career to attempt to raise any questions or stand up for what’s right - the culture doesn’t allow for this.

I learned a lot at Welsh Water, both from a career and personal perspective, but it was through sheer perseverance during many difficult times. I could never recommend it to a friend.

This is the place to work if you just want to get ahead and are prepared to turn a blind eye, stab people in the back and beat any competition down to get there. Fortunately I am not that kind of person, so I had to leave.
Cons
Narcissism is rife, employees are seen as numbers in a team rather than actual people, complete disregard for wellbeing and mental health, total inflexibility, subservience is valued more than actual skills and knowledge.
Management only look after themselves.
No consideration for any staff.

Management lie and give false promises.

Lost my job then was told to re-apply for the same job just under a different name...I was then told I was not successful. They want knowledgeable people out of the company to get new people in on low salaries. They sell you the dream of a pay increase but you start and stay on the lowest, your pay only goes up with the cost of living.

Welsh Water is a terrible company to work for. They are a profitable company and not a not for profit company. The CEO gets a big bonus every year and the staff get £1k bonus each also, don't let this fool you to join. Use the company as a temporary job. It is not a career unless you shag the management. Don't be fooled!!
Pros
Pays a wage
Cons
Liars, pathetic management, time wasters, ruin lives
HR is poor. Job satisfaction non existent. Surveys rigged. Bad Management, unsociable hours, not worth the salary. No career. Dead end job. High staff turnaround. Too many impossible targets and excessive workloads. A lot of travelling without compensation. Will demoralised you and lead to YOUR Health suffering. They'll then spit you out without batting an eyelid. AVOID.
My typical day at Welsh Water consists of producing statistical reports, entering data into the SaP database to produce waste water Planned Maintenance, producing inspection areas for Proactive waste water inspections using GiS mapping. Liaising with other departments in order to improve the efficiency of the above tasks.
Pros
Stimulating and diverse tasks
Cons
Having worked in the call centre as an advisor all I can say is that the management style is oppressive. The contact centre manager is not only shocking but creates an atmosphere where individuals fear to speak up. How bad is that !!! Poor team leaders bullied and advisors driven out Target mentality and lack of staff engagement. Stay well away from this awful place.
The only way you’ll progress in this place is by being a massive brown nose. Interviewers know who they want for most jobs prior to interviews even starting for internal applicants. Complete lack of consistency with how managers treat members of staff (again depends on how much you can brown nose each day). Lastly, if you’re the kind of person who likes to suggest new ways to work then don’t bother, unless ideas come from them then there’s no chance of them being used or even looked into
Great team, nice atmosphere. Very busy and project based. Nec3 contracts and bespoke contracts. UCR2016 applies. Major downside in my opinion is that alot of travel is required to different sites , alot time lost travelling, not ideal if you have a young family, other than that a great company and warm people.
I was so fortunate to be able to leave, to work for a better Company but I am concerned for many who remain working at Welsh Water. A majority seem to be overloaded with work and unnecessary bureaucracy. Many managers do not seem competent, are cliquey and have their own personal agendas. Personal gain seems more important than the company and those they manage. Morale is low, apathy is widespread, staff turnover is high and progression can be non-existent. The company is losing too many hard working, experienced and morally good staff. It is very concerning for the future. HR are ruthless, disconnected and seem not to understand or care about the decline. You will be measured on targets and tasks which may be impossible to achieve because of flawed IT, poor structure, disconnection, conflicting procedures, lack of quality training and direction. Unfortunately, it seems the senior management either choose to ignore the issues or are out of touch with the reality. This may be partly due to staff not feeling they can speak out without recrimination. I've seen far too many genuine and conscientious colleagues suffering with the anxiety and stress caused by working in such a difficult environment.
Pros:

- Really friendly environment

- Relaxed culture

- Business that is trying to do right by the customer.

Cons:

- Not great communication regarding development, both financially and in your role.
Take on people from outside than rather promote from within chafes work priority to suit there needs without taking staff into account salary very poor and no structure same role all different salaries .
Work within the call center taking payments setting up and closing account. Also dealing with bereaved families and those who were finding it hard to pay their bills. Completed meter option for customers and transferred to contractors to complete survey.

I learnt how to use more that 1 site at a time. At the being of the working day, need to open all sites that could be used through the day. Needed to use 2 computer screen.

My team lead was not very supportive, and felt from our first meeting, that there was going to be issues. Other team leaders were move supportive and positive in regards to my ability.

Hardest part of the job was constantly being under pressure from team leader. Having worked as a manager in the past, I didn't consider the team leader as having good leadership skills.

The other team members were very supportive and positive about my ability.

Resigned as couldn't continue to work with line manager.
Pros
other team members
Cons
Management styles
Poor line management, change of CEO has caused many unpopular changes to salary, staffing, roles, salaries and benefits. Stressful and back-stabbing atmosphere, culture of fear.