Wellcome Trust

Wellcome Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews
Friendly environment
A good loyal company offering competitive salaries and good benefits including a non contributory pension private healthcare and life insurance plus lifetime income if unable to work
Creative place to work
Creative place to try ideas and some good support from management. Good people work here and mostly are very positive to collaborate and share ideas to advance scope and impact of change. This aspect of working here was very enjoyable.
Enjoyable work experience
I was given a placement at the Wellcome Trust for work experience. My time at the Wellcome Trust required me to quickly adapt to the working environment and use my skills and current knowledge to be able to use the softwares provided to be able to complete the tasks given. As well as this i was able to learn new skills and i was sure to expand my knowledge by asking appropriate questions, which showed i was able to communicate within a team and had the desire to learn new things.
Mixed bag
If you are lucky enough to have a good manager and team you will have a fab experience. If not it could be awful & is becoming more and more ‘corporate’ with more and more abusive behaviour especially from the new People team leaders who are forming a dictatorship and looking to destroy what is a wonderful supportive, positive culture.
Pros
Lots of nice people still in the organisation overall, still opportunities and interesting work if on the right team
Cons
New HR leaders trying to destroy culture, plans to turn it into a cut throat corporate, higher incidence of bullying role modelled by new HR Leadership
Fun relaxed working atmosphere
Great team, relaxed, good work culture in the office. I was a temp and made to feel like part of the team. Friendly company and good work life social balance.
Pros
Flexible and generous staff benefits
Cons
Small team therefor not many shift patterns
Great for the well being of the Staff and all employees
The most productive, nicest, smartest, thoughtful management and colleagues that I have had the pleasure to work with and for. A beautiful building facilities management is unrivalled.
Pros
Reduction cost for all food and beverages
stressful enviroment
Currently working for this company and so far it has been the most stressful job that I have worked in.

not only do you have to do your job, but also do other peoples job since they don't know what they're doing.

I was promised many things before joining the team for example, promotion they told me there are many opportunities to grow within the Wellcome Trust Foundation, but all that has happened is my workload being increased and my pay remaining the same.

my social life is practical nil, since the working ours are basically all day until 10pm. have no time to go out or anything.

overall not a fun place to work at
Productive and new experiences
Great company. Loved everyone. The professors and lecturers were very helpful and kind. They taught us new things thoroughly and took their time. The PhD students were also very nice.
Pros
Free courses
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Wellcome Trust?
Good opportunity
This work placement gave me useful experience which should benefit me in the long run if I decide to work in this field. I particularly enjoyed helping customers with disability’s as I can relate to their struggles!
Pros
Great experience
Cons
Unpaid
Great organisation
- Excellent working conditions
- Great people

- Amazing benefits e.g. pension, annual leave, subsidised restaurant and cafe, parties, bar, gym

- Can be a disconnect between senior management and middle management
Pros
Pension, annual leave, subsidised restaurant and cafe, parties, bar, gym
Cons
Can be a disconnect between senior management and middle management
Rewarding and enjoyable place to work
An open and friendly place to work. It has a good culture and a lot of opportunities to meet new people new people either at the gym or the many organised events for staff.
Pros
Good work life balance, free gym, subsidised food
Incredible place to work
Our team provided security for the Trust's offices and public spaces in London.
We worked a four on four off days and night shifts, four teams rotating shifts.

We monitored all the alarm systems, access control, car park, first aid, meetings etc.

No one day was the same, we worked in a high pressure environment, with all the thing we did always going the extra mile.

It was amazing because we worked together, always putting the Trust first, being positive and ensuring the day went smooth for all departments.

Thanks to the wonderful team I had and support from management.
Pros
Company health care, pension, life insurance, further education/ training paid, season ticket loan.
Cons
No Cons
wonderful environment to work
Wellcome Trust is a charity that strives to find cure for incurable diseases by funding research. The Trust was voted one of the best places to work in 2016 .
Fun place to work
it you want to learn about science and value of people it is one of the best places to be.
they make sure you have as much training as possible and the HR is very diverse and culturally. they also provided lots of staff activities in the different Clubs they have there.
Pros
it Values it staff and you are well looked after - Science info outstanding.
Cons
to many managers
Good benefits, good labs
I would just like to apply for jobs on this website and not review my current employer.

However since I am being asked to. There are great lab spaces where I work, good people, coffee and good team work. I have had opportunities to go to conferences and present back to the team. Generally staff are friendly and sociable.
Pros
Paid weekend work
Cons
Weekend work
Job satisfaction
Although the company itself is highly reputable, the finance department was badly run and did not have s firm direction. A lot of individuals spending too much time in the detail of low risk issues rather than being given the direction and encouraged to progress.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Bad management
Some great aspects
The Wellcome Trust has some great ideas to work towards but let's itself down with the Senior Management constantly changing so making any change or driving business forward is always moving so defining any strategy is very difficult,

Some of the work is repetitive and does feel like it's based back in the early 90's but on the plus side, everybody is nice and everybody wants to help.
Pros
Free gym and cheap lunches
Cons
Old style of working and repetitive work
Very clever organisation
Wonderful place, good co-workers. Most enjoyable part of the job is attending presentations on science related subjects.
Pros
Free admission to exhibitions and events
Very satisfying organisational work
Mostly my role involves managing a team of 12 officers covering two sites. Thae sites are full of academics who can be a handful to deal with.
Pros
good employers