Wellcome Sanger Institute

Wellcome Sanger Institute Employee Reviews

United Kingdom12 reviews
Working for Sanger as a whole was a enjoyable experience. New skills are taught rigorously and the management is supportive of developing skills in line with the role.
Workplace was very relaxed. My line manager was very understanding in helping me learn the daily flow of experiments and getting used to lab work. Excellent place to work (on-site gym & good social activities).
Nice environment, beautiful grounds, good pension and beneifits at work such as paid holidays. However, the pay is low compared to other institutes, lack of ability to voice opinion to managment, managment seem to 'work' from home often or rock in half way through the day and chat instead of do any productive work.
This place is full of management that are some of the most unprofessional and just out right bullies. this workplace has just gone downhill used to be a fairly good place to work now I wouldn't even wish my worst enemys to work there.
This job did not last long and was not my most recent employment. I can only assume that the request to review it is a random selection from my CV. The Sanger Institute is an incredible organisation that does the most amazing work, but is perhaps not the most comfortable place for people without a very strong scientific background.
Pros
Beautiful environment
Cons
Not the best place for non-scientists
Good employer lots of on site facilities available to all staff members including full restaurant, gym and library also a nursery. friendly staff and lovely campus.
Un endroit pour exprimer pleinement son potentiel.
Excellent campus and equipment in the laboratories. Broad range of scientific disciplines but with a focus around genomics. Great benefits in regards to childcare and pensions, but uncompetitive salaries.
World leader in genomic research. Outstanding personnela and fantastic opportunities to engage in different areas of research. Great place to study or start a cereer in research.
Un lugar excelente para crearse un currículum en el mundo de la Ciencia.
Pros
seguro médico y pensión privados. facilidades para estudiar y promoción, horario flexible, ambiente cordial
Cons
no se encuentra en mi pais
While the work that goes on here is interesting (that's why most people are here to start with), the institution is let down by management that takes a very short-term view. There is little in the way of job security, and unless you are an academic researcher, nothing in the way of prospects for advancement.
I am part of a small and productive team and we work closely together, bouncing off ideas and solving problems for the scientific teams.
Our job is to support the scientists concentrate on their research, by taking everyday problems away from them, giving them advice and putting them in touch with the right people. My remit is varied, which makes my job interesting. I particularly enjoy planning for a big job, such as a relocation or a building project. I have learned a lot about working in a lab, from working in one myself and being involved in lab refurbishments.

The Institute has been very good for me and I have been able to progress during my time here. However, I am not enjoying the current rate of growth of the Institute, as I feel I am losing the close relationships I was able to build when there was less people.