Welcome Break Employee Reviews

Dreadful place to work unless you enjoy mental asylums
Night Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scotland5 February 2019
Nightshift dayshift devide with a lot of work being uncredited for but any problems are blamed on either side of the shifts, management is also horrible rarely see my manager besides when they’re going home at the end of a back shift... if staff do not turn up or phone sick prepare to be phoned to cover the shift even if you’re shifted 3/4 days a week prepare to do upto 6 with little or no thanks or asking if shift changes are okay.
Pros
70% off Harry’s breakfasts and 50% off Burger King meals, great laughs with fellow staff
Cons
Understaffed, no nightshift/unsociable hours pay
sub
Subway Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Leicester5 February 2019
communication, team work and management of time was learned as part of this job. Friendly colleagues and a genuinely nice place to work. Working with customers is sometimes difficult but manageable.
Customer Service
Customer Service and Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Staffordshire3 February 2019
I worked there for two years, in the time I made friends, earned money, helped customers, learned new skills. It wasn't relevant to anything I studied at uni but being here around different units and the world meant that I really enjoyed working here. I started as sales assistant then worked in customer services. Day to day nature of the work got boring and it felt like you were going no where, however encountering problems with life after leaving I wouldn't hesitate it going back to WB. It's one of the best jobs I've had.
Pros
Discounts, friends, meeting the world
Cons
lack of progression, min wage
chef
Call Order Chef (Former Employee) –  South Mimms14 January 2019
good company to work for and your alway busying and there not a lot time to think which is a good things.it was one my best time working there and i would change it for the world.
fun at times
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire11 January 2019
good people to work with but bosses always putting pressure on you and often working without enough staff. discount off food and drinks is good but I wouldn't recommend the place to be honest
Pros
money off food and drink
Cons
poor pay and bot enough staff on shift
Nice place to work
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Warwickshire14 December 2018
Overall it was a nice place to work, people were welcoming and very nice. I didn’t have the best welcome to the job for my first shifts but after that it was perfectly fine. The Christmas work party was also nice apart from one incident. Just hard getting there
Pros
Good pay for my age
Cons
Trouble getting there
Exciting and fun place to work
Category Manager/Buyer (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire16 November 2018
Meeting with suppliers to decide on ranges and merchandise solutions, gaining the best price using my excellent communication and negotiation skills. Ensuring all communication was delivered within the timeframe
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Long Hours
Unwelcoming and poor hours
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  South Yorkshire7 November 2018
Welcome Break is a very unwelcoming place to work.

The salary is unfair compared to other staff members. There are people doing the same job at the same level but earning a considerate amount more due to obvious favouritism.

The hours are unsociable. Raised the issue with the UBM on numerous occasions and nothing changed. Asked for more early shifts and request was completely ignored
Pros
50% off food
Cons
Unsociable hours
fun place
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Bishops Stortford12 October 2018
For people who is going to start to work is great place and offers lots of choices and diferent roles. shifts and part time, full time food maintenace hotels.
Awful
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Stanstead28 August 2018
Job description was entirely inaccurate. No support when short of staff. worked 30 days straight with no day off and was asked to not clock in due to it contravening employment laws. Never got time of in lieu as promised. avoid.
A place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  South Mimms16 August 2018
I did learn stuff, managing the crew by scheduling and coaching. I did put crew together having fun at work and outside work.
Was maybe short time at welcome break but I did enjoy the moment i passed.
Pros
free
Cons
Na
Very rewarding for those who are willing to give up their lives and work 24/7
Unit Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartshead Moor4 August 2018
Great company with great career prospects for those that work hard and put in the effort. But without the support and encouragement of a good Site Operations Manage it all falls apart. To be successful you need to work as a team, not only within your own unit but also across brands. As soon as that team spirit is broken it becomes a free for all.

No matter how well you focus on recruitment, this is a business sector with a high staff turn over. Asking a Unit Business Manager to work both sides of the business to cover shortfall and maintain labour costs is not only highly demanding but with long days, lack of days of and a struggle to fit in annual leave you are bound to hit burn out on a regular basis. There is no off switch. You eventually end up with a UBM who is a jack of all trades but master of none and an SOM who is more focussed on overall site performance than individual needs.
Pros
Career advancement, free meals/drinks and good employee benefits
Cons
Long days often weeks without a day off when short-staffed, not enough focus on employee health or wellbeing, poor staff amenities, so focussed on results and don’t always care how you get there as long as you achieve targets
Its fine.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leicester forest east19 July 2018
The company is fine to work for but I do find they have a complete lack of empathy and don't value their employees as people (though I'm sure this is the same as most big companies)
Because it's a 24 hour business the hours required leave little time for a work like balance so I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with a family.
Management are disorganised, petty and lack kindness.
Pros
50% discount on food, good wages for younger people.
Cons
24 hour business so really unsociable hours and lots of weekend working
Draining
Team manager (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire2 June 2018
Horrible place, I could right to sides of A4 about how rubbish it is, I worked there for just over 2 years, did crazy hours with no reward, management could not care less how much work you put in, I worked on the Starbucks Unit and they handed out disiplinaries (what they like to call 'fact finding') more times they handed out cups of coffee you even get the third degree if you drop a take out cup, talk about petty, I have worked at several different sites and they are all the same, avoid working at welcome break. The only good thing about this is that most of the staff are in the same boat as you so you tend to stick together,
Pros
I got free lunches (but to be honest they get funny about if you spend to much)
Cons
Long hours no reward, rubbish wages, disiplined to death, kick up a fuss over the littlest of things
Fun staff, some supervisors were terrible
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gloucestershire1 June 2018
Hard work for low pay, but this is fairly standard in a retail role as a teenager. Good to work with staff my own age and had some good parties. One or two supervisors were horrible to work under.
fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire23 May 2018
it was very nice to work at welcome break. as there are so many different brands under one roof and that provide you with a chance to learn new things and new ideas how different things are done or can be done.
Pros
free food
Cons
very slow pace of progression
very poor employers
Facilities Team Member (Former Employee) –  cardiff gate11 May 2018
Regardless of job title you will be made too clean toilets and litter pick and even if you mention the fact your're not contractually obligated too do so as its not the job you're their too do you're met with threats of being sacked.

I quit as the stress of working their was taking a lot of out me health wise.....its no wonder theirs very few staff their that make it past a year and why the company fail so many audits.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
everything else
ok
Team Member/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Easton-in-Gordano10 May 2018
Not a bad job to have, the job is a lot of work but you do get on with all of the people you work with. After working there for three years, I think it's time to leave, on a good note.
Pros
people
Cons
typical day at welcome break
Purchase Ledger Clerk (Former Employee) –  Birchanger3 May 2018
I worked at Welcome Break for 18 years and was made redundant
in 2013.

It was a big part of my life seeing plenty of changes and Managers coming and going.

I was part of a team in the Cash Office which was very busy at times
but good fun and great colleagues.

Purchase ledger clerk mainly worked on my own but with other
staff around when Audits and monthly accounts were due.
Pros
great colleagues to work with
Cons
being made redundant
challenging
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Burtonwood3 May 2018
welcome break was most certainly an interesting experience,challenges were mostly internal due to implementing procedures devised by people not trained.
it was good developing customer loyalty and helping people.

I finished there as permanent nights was becoming life limiting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Welcome Break. Our community is ready to answer.