Wates

Wates Employee Reviews

United Kingdom93 reviews
Experiences will vary dependent on which division you are employed within. Projects vary in size and nature, however the work streams are based around different divisions and there are little opportunities to move across divisions to gain experiences of the whole Group
Pros
fair salary / bonus
Cons
Long hours, tough targets
My time at Wates was very productive. I learnt a lot and was pleased with my performance level which was largely thanks to having wonderful trainer and working colleague's who helped me when needed.This was just the type of exprience I needed to progress further in my career.
Pros
Training very good and professional.
Cons
Found that my team leader could have been more polite, however other colleagues were superb and helpful and friendly.
The top people look after themselves and not the people who get the job done if you do not have the right man to do the work The company must look after who Do the work
Pros
A fair to work for
Cons
Wates is a fast paced forward thinking company that prides itself on H&S and delivering for the client needs. Wates strives to look after their personnel and the health and well being.
A positive, busy and respectful working environment. Founded in the best family values but equally modern and imaginative.

If you're not familiar with construction and the built environment, please don't be put off - it's a fascinating world, and there's so much more opportunity than just building sites.
I worked as a painter .I like the work I do..I worked, midland decorator''tol .decora ,, I worked at wates in birmingham center .wates is a company the best
They were fantastic very helpful. Staff were very welcoming and I would definitely be recommending them to my friends in the future. Gained a lot of skills.
Wates is more of a management company, where they bring you in and offer 0 guidance, all the senior managers have ego problems, you are offered 0 support, they will throw money at a problem without taking time out to solve any issues pragmatically. You will go out your way for this company and they will just throw you to the side when they feel you are not needed anymore, also senior managers are racist and if you do not fit the bill you will not be liked regardless of how good you are at your job, full time jobs only given to those who suck up to managers regardless if they know 0 about the work, probably stay away if you want something long term.
Corporate and less people orientated than they were.
Not interested in the individual.

HR is a tick box operation which was little to no help when I was ill.

Though there are various assistance groups they were literally offered on a piece of paper.
Pros
Benefit package is good
Cons
Expectations on the individual is too high
Working for wates was fun but challenging. There’s a great team throughout my time and gained valuable management experience and knowledge while working for wates.
A pressured but enjoyable experience where everyone pulls in the same direction. Full support from management and a desire to deliver projects on time and within budget
Working with wates is a lot of fun they are strict on health and safety also on people wearing PPE. However everyone is a laugh and there are some great characters that are subcontracted to wates that you can have fun on site with.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Nights are slow at times
•Would recommend wates as a good company to work
•pay reasonable

•freindly management

•show commitment and you will be looked after and go along way
Wates is a large company specialising is construction, it is a good place to work with the opportunity or progress.

team work is very important which helps when challenges are met.

Overall a good working environment
While i worked for Wates i had a great manager and foreman(s), shame that a unnamed high placed individual could not tell the difference between brick dust and plaster, part of the job i am afraid,otherwise i believe i would still be working for them.As a plasterer or any other trade you have to be clean, presentable,professional,and one of the key areas, great communication skills. Within in my role as front line staff you would meet very different people indeed.
Work could be fast paced and it is always of interest to the management if you are multi-skilled in a few areas, this would certainly help in your interview.Overall i would rate Wates as one of the best companies i have worked for, work hard, keep to the schedule, you could go along way.Health and safety is very important to this firm ,on the job support and training courses are conducted in a great way,cannot fault them in this area.Just trying to be truthful in all ways, if they offered me my role back ( i was never sacked ) i would strongly consider it.
The managers from the offices are the biggest idiots you will meet they have lost 7 managers in the last 7 months all these were top people,
The project manager is the most hated man in Wales stay away if I was you .
It’s a typical construction job in the sense that managers screw everything up! The colleagues on the phone were awesome really liked the guys I was working with. The problem is that a tight core of terrible managers have grouped together changing what should be the best job you ever had to a nightmare. Then when you think you’ve got things sorted, along comes another manager to knife you in the back.
Birmingham city council contract they just cut and cut the cheapest materials and the quicker you do it the better they insist you work alone, regardless of risk
If you enjoy your wages being late and told you will have to wait till next month this is the company for you. Good at ticking boxes to meet criteria but in reality fall we'll below standards. Little to no communication. Attitude to workers very poor stuck in a time warp when it comes to the way they treat staff and others. My advice steer clear.
Did 2 years solid on Wellington place 100% clean record , no damages, no accidents

Good working atmosphere great health and safety legislation.

Only downside is getting paid from the clocking in machine with finger print , if you go into work but need to leave you only get paid for hours you did
Good job that involved vvorking from demolition to second fix .The best job I have had for many years ,looking forvvard to vvorking again vvith VVates